• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

Diseased Yak said:
Persona3 newb here, so I have a few questions:

1). Should I be trying to do everything possible each night? For instance, what I've been doing is going to the mall and working if I can, then heading to the dorm and grinding Tartarus until my party complains of being tired. Plus I just read above that you can study in your room (which I didn't realize) so now I'll throw that in too, if that's what I need to do.
Wait, you can work somewhere at night and time doesn't pass?

On average, you should probably dedicate one night a week to Tartarus when you're first starting out (Monday is a good night because the Police Officer has a sale on new equipment then). Try to make sure you at least reach a new boss/guardian floor every time you go. When you get more comfortable with exploring Tartarus, though, it's highly recommended that you do all your Tartarus exploration for one month (there's a cap on how high you can ascend the tower every month) in a single day. You can easily do this by just paying the save point in the 1st floor lobby to restore your party's SP. It's recommended that you do this because then you can devote the rest of the nights in a given month to just raising stats (preferably at the Game Corner) and Social Linking it up.

You can't study in your room or raise stats at night if you decide to go to Tartarus, btw. Doing any of those things ends the day immediately (your character is too tired).

hamchan

TenshiOni said:
Wait, you can work somewhere at night and time doesn't pass?

I'm pretty sure you can't. Maybe he means working in the afternoon then doing night stuff, which is a waste of an afternoon IMO since he should be using that time to rank up some social links since there are much more of them during the day.

mileS

I haven't noticed yet but is this game like Persona 4 in terms of having lets say a Strength persona with you before you hang out with that S.link?

Wow how many turns does it take them to analyze in battle? I tried to do it in my first run of Tartarus, but it never worked, lol, I was fortunate to realize what the creatures weakness was to always do the team attack, that looks awesome.

Curufinwe

The anime cutscenes from Persona 3 on the PS2 are worth watching as you go along if you're playing Persona 3 for the first time on the PSP.

This user has uploaded all 27 movies from P3, but unfortunately he hasn't put them in a playlist. So just scroll down to "Persona 3 Movie 0 - Opening" without looking too closely at the later movies. Then you can go up the list of movies as you go along, and watch them on this user's main page so there won't be any comments to spoil anything.

http://il.youtube.com/user/Takeshi1589#p/u

[EDIT]

4/21/2009 - watch up to Persona 3 Movie 7.

Curufinwe said:
The anime cutscenes from Persona 3 on the PS2 are worth watching as you go along if you're playing Persona 3 for the first time on the PSP.

This user has uploaded all 27 movies from P3, but unfortunately he hasn't put them in a playlist. So just scroll down to "Persona 3 Movie 0 - Opening" without looking too closely at the later movies. Then you can go up the list of movies as you go along, and watch them on this user's main page so there won't be any comments to spoil anything.

http://il.youtube.com/user/Takeshi1589#p/u

My copy of the game arrived last night and I've only played it for 90 minutes, but I'm already up to "Persona 3 Movie 7".

Yeah, but the problem is that we don't know when were supposed to watch each scene to avoid spoiling things :(

It'd be nice if they were sorted by date - Like "Anime Cutscene #2 - End of Day 07/26".

Curufinwe

Good point. I will come up with a list since I'm going to be watching them myself.

List added to my previous post. They have a lot of cutscenes at the start of the game to get you into the mood, so I hope they help everyone playing P3 for the first time on the PSP get the best of both worlds.

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow how many turns does it take them to analyze in battle? I tried to do it in my first run of Tartarus, but it never worked, lol, I was fortunate to realize what the creatures weakness was to always do the team attack, that looks awesome.
I believe the analysis is done after 3 SEES members have gone in combat. So it'll never finish if you destroy the enemy in your first move, you got to let at least two other teammates do something.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Appreciate the effort Curufinwe! The videos are really well done and it's a shame they're not in the P3P version.

FredFish

TenshiOni said:
I believe it the analysis is done after 3 SEES members have gone in combat. So it'll never finish if you destroy the enemy in your first move, you got to let at least two other teammates do something.

Correct. Some times it's worth it to have your team 'Wait' so you can get an analysis done

Curufinwe

No problem, Brobzoid.

Atlus have done a great job overall with the PSP version, but the anime cutscenes are missed, especially Movie 6. If watching that doesn't get you pumped up for Persona 3 then nothing will.

FredFish

Curufinwe said:
No problem, Brobzoid.

Atlus have done a great job overall with the PSP version, but the anime cutscenes are missed, especially Movie 6. If watching that doesn't get you pumped up for Persona 3 then nothing will.

Agree. I understand the space limitation Atlus was working under but it was really surprising how much, in retrospect, the anime scenes added to the game's mood and atmosphere. Especially the intro and the MC's first summon on the rooftop (with the excellent score blasting through my stereo). Not looking forward to how they handle all the Strega scenes but am enjoying playing through the female story anyways

Brobzoid

not only space limitations, but also the fact that they would have had to remake some of the scenes for with the female character. Add in the fact that this is the third time they are releasing this game, so it would probably be a harder sell at a higher price point. So I can totally understand why they cut 'em.

tokkun

Brobzoid said:
not only space limitations, but also the fact that they would have had to remake some of the scenes for with the female character. Add in the fact that this is the third time they are releasing this game, so it would probably be a harder sell at a higher price point. So I can totally understand why they cut 'em.

This is a full-price PSP game, only $10 less than the original release of P3, despite the fact that the majority of the design elements are being re-used for the third time. Are you really arguing that it would be too expensive for them to rescript a few scenes for the female character?

This game is fucking fantastic. I am missing a little of the feel I got from P4 on the PS2. I played maybe about 15 or 20 hours of that, and there is some charm gone when you don't see polygonal characters cycling through animations to act out the scenes.

That stuff reminds me of old final fantasy sprites hopping and spinning around. Voice alone doesn't carry the vibe, which is sad. The audio in this game is a pleasure to listen to, and the Persona balancing act is in tact. It's actually quicker to navigate the what I remember of P4, which is making it much more addicting.

Brobzoid

tokkun said:
This is a full-price PSP game, only $10 less than the original release of P3, despite the fact that the majority of the design elements are being re-used for the third time. Are you really arguing that it would be too expensive for them to rescript a few scenes for the female character?
Oh, this is my first psp game so I didn't realize it was full price. Anyway, I thought they drew the animated cut-scenes, are they using some sort of scripting that would easily let them replace the main character with the female MC? Or are you talking about the in-game cut-scenes being replaced by radio theater?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
lol? People dont use their real names?
Persona 3's main characters (and to a greater extent Persona 4's) have way too much of their own personality to ever be "me".

Jerk

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Persona 3's main characters (and to a greater extent Persona 4's) have way too much of their own personality to ever be "me".

Agreed, though I give them my name anyway.

No character ever feels like 'me,' but giving them some random name always seems pointless to me.

I guess Im stuck. I just made it through to defeating the Chariot guardian on floor 14 or so, but I dont get why the second day they say you can go to to the tower again. When I just went there was a barrier blocking the staircase to the next floor. Whats the point of me going back to Tartarus? lol, Im confused.

Peff

I guess Im stuck. I just made it through to defeating the Chariot guardian on floor 14 or so, but I dont get why the second day they say you can go to to the tower again. When I just went there was a barrier blocking the staircase to the next floor. Whats the point of me going back to Tartarus? lol, Im confused.

Well originally you shouldn't have been able to reach the top in a single day, because your characters would get tired and if you went down to the first floor they'd leave in order to rest, but now that they've changed the health system to "applies after you leave Tartarus" you can easily do it. Go if you want to grind (you reached the top so you don't need it) or just spend the time in the Arcade to get your stats up.

Edgeward

Why the fuck does hama have such a low percentage against even enemies whose only weakness is it? Raaaaggggee. Goddam Phantom Mages. 0/10

tokkun

Brobzoid said:
Oh, this is my first psp game so I didn't realize it was full price. Anyway, I thought they drew the animated cut-scenes, are they using some sort of scripting that would easily let them replace the main character with the female MC? Or are you talking about the in-game cut-scenes being replaced by radio theater?

Yes, I was talking about the in-game cut scenes. Most of the cut-scenes are done that way; there are really only a handful of anime scenes in the entire game.

Brobzoid

tokkun said:
Yes, I was talking about the in-game cut scenes. Most of the cut-scenes are done that way; there are really only a handful of anime scenes in the entire game.
I agree, it was very disappointing that they chose to take out the in-game cut-scenes. The radio theater is often a little confusing and messy. But we were talking about the anime cut-scenes that Curufinwe found on youtube.

Kuran

Banned
Is it smart to play this on hard difficulty? Or is it too unfair/unbalanced to play it as such?

I hope Persona 4 gets the same treatment..

FredFish

Kuran said:
Is it smart to play this on hard difficulty? Or is it too unfair/unbalanced to play it as such?

I chose Hard because the description of Maniac said you wouldn't carry anything over to NG+. Seeing as the best part of NG+ is not having to waste time upping your Int/Charm/Courage (and having most of the Persona you use already in the Compendium) there was no way I was going to play that. I'll play Maniac after doing NG+ to see the challenge

Jerk

Banned
Kuran said:

I hope Persona 4 gets the same treatment..

I am currently playing it so far and it seems manageable enough.

Hitting weakness 100% of the time is required though...

Peff

DR2K said:
I'm having a little trouble with the boss on the 14th floor. Tips?

Ara Mitama has Strike resistance, which helps survive his attacks. He also vulnerable (but not weak) to Zio.

EDIT: That too.

Curufinwe

It took me an hour of restarts to beat the
Dancing Hands on level 10.

Maybe playing on Hard wasn't such a great idea. :lol Although, it is only 4/23 - my first time actually exploring Tartarus.

Anyone know when you get the Compendium?

Peff

Curufinwe said:

Maybe playing on Hard wasn't such a great idea. :lol Although, it is only 4/23 - my first time actually exploring Tartarus.

Anyone know when you get the Compendium?

After the first Full Moon event.

I wish SP would actually regenerate as we walk, it would make it less costly to journey into the dungeons. I usually never use items in RPG's, but this one Ive had to do it so much.

Ive also had to resort to using myself as the healer, while Takeba and Iori do the damage. Though I love it when my character does the three strike critical "WHOOSH" attack, lol. So powerful and cool looking.

Curufinwe

Thanks.

Wow, they really did do away with your party getting tired. I managed to get to the first barrier on my first real night in Tartarus with everyone still in Good condition.

Jerk

Banned
Curufinwe said:

Did it on my first try on maniac.

I abused the living crap out of Orpheus's Bash (they are weak to strike).

Now my only problem is that 2 of my party members are tired because they died...

Not sure if I can get to floor 14.

This game was so frustrating at the beginning because I felt there where so many growth opportunities and that I was wasting my chances. Luckily I got over that when I realized slink's meant less than I thought. The school parts became way more enjoyable after that.

What's going on with Cadenza in P3P?! It's like its an item now that can only be used if you have Orpheus and Asparas in your party. Wasn't it just a spell that could be used freely as long as your 1) the needed SP and 2) either Orpheus or Asparas equipped?

Also, when do I get more of them? I've used up my initial three!

Curufinwe

Yeah, I managed to only use 1 of the 3 Cadenza stones in beating the first three bosses, but I missed being able to spam it. Especially since I'm playing on hard and I only played P3 on Normal.

hamchan

I wish SP would actually regenerate as we walk, it would make it less costly to journey into the dungeons. I usually never use items in RPG's, but this one Ive had to do it so much.

Ive also had to resort to using myself as the healer, while Takeba and Iori do the damage. Though I love it when my character does the three strike critical "WHOOSH" attack, lol. So powerful and cool looking.
Since the MC can change personas I always make her the main attacker and a backup healer when needed.

Also I wouldn't use SP recovery items outside of battle, you can easily get to a teleporter and heal your party at the entrance. It's really cheap too, well a least on Normal it is.

Jerk

Banned
hamchan said:
Since the MC can change personas I always make her the main attacker and a backup healer when needed.

Also I wouldn't use SP recovery items outside of battle, you can easily get to a teleporter and heal your party at the entrance. It's really cheap too, well a least on Normal it is.

I think that it is cheap on all difficulty levels.

FredFish

Reluctant-Hero said:
What's going on with Cadenza in P3P?! It's like its an item now that can only be used if you have Orpheus and Asparas in your party. Wasn't it just a spell that could be used freely as long as your 1) the needed SP and 2) either Orpheus or Asparas equipped?

Also, when do I get more of them? I've used up my initial three!

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Fusion spell "items" show up in the Antique dealers inventory when she opens her shop in the mall later in the game.

DR2K said:
Pulinpa made the boss a joke, thanks.

He still got some strong physical attacks in but yeah...without his casting it's a fairly trivial battle

Peff

Every Combination Skill is now an item. I guess they did that to prevent people spamming Armaggeddon and Victory Cry, rendering the game a snorefest :lol

Yaweee

Some thoughts/notes on difficulty:

As far as I can tell so far, Maniacs mode is:

- 6x Compendium Costs: Even the first few Persona are around 20k to summon.
- 100% increased damage relative to Normal
- Increased chance of getting crit
- Increased chance of missing
- Reduced run rate
- More difficult initiative rules. If enemy sees you, even hitting it with your weapon from afar will still likely end in an ambush from the enemy. The odds seem much, much worse than they were in FES' Hard
- No gameplay benefits (Level, compendium access, social stats) from importing New Game+ data, but the game will still keep track of your compendium progress in terms of % completion and what will be available if you import completed Maniacs data into a lower difficulty.

Hard:
- 4x Compendium Costs
- 50% increased damage
- Likely some of the other changes, but not to the same extent?

Easy:
10 continue tokens

Beginner:
30 continue tokens

However, I suspect the variables that were changed in the higher difficulties are somewhat mirrored down in the lower levels, like with better run odds,

Information from the Japanese release wasn't very specific about difficulty levels, so its not sure what is perceived and what is real as far as tweaks are between Hard/Maniacs, and FES' Hard mode. Most of the new gameplay changes make it relatively easier, if everything else was equal, but the incorporation of P4's knockdown rules are a fairly large difficulty increase. In earlier versions of P3, casting an all-hit spell needed to hit every target with a weakness, but now even hitting one results in another turn. Absolutely devestating, as a *normal* hit from an enemy can take off more than 50% of your health on Maniacs.

Top Bottom