• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

tokkun

FredFish said:
Anyone else notice how All Out Attack seems to have been changed? I was doing less damage on the statue boss for the 35th floor than Junpei did on his regular attack. Maybe they changed the damage type from Almighty or gave mobs some resistance to that?

I noticed this too. In many cases it seems to be better to skip the All Out Attack since you can keep the knock-down bonus and potentially stun the enemy with another critical.

I also noticed that doing All Out Attacks on rare hands was doing minimal damage, though I can't recall if it was different in the original game.

Yaweee said:
Did you just never get the Red Pen, despite him having appeared on the bench on Sundays, or did you not progress Hanged Man enough?

Never got the red pen due to not talking to Koromaru for several consecutive months. I finished the Hanged Man link early.

Jerk

Banned
tokkun said:
I noticed this too. In many cases it seems to be better to skip the All Out Attack since you can keep the knock-down bonus and potentially stun the enemy with another critical.

I also noticed that doing All Out Attacks on rare hands was doing minimal damage, though I can't recall if it was different in the original game.

Never got the red pen due to not talking to Koromaru for several consecutive months. I finished the Hanged Man link early.

I think they made it like P4 where some enemies would resist it.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I feel like I'm fumbling a little in the dark with the S.Links. Someone said earlier in the thread that there were nighttime slinks? Do they mean walking the doggie? (I just got the doggie) And it doesn't seem like there are random 'oh hey, wanna do shit' slink opportunities like there were in P4. Or rather, when you talk to people at school, you might get an slink opportunity, but in the lounge they all just spout random topical lines and whine about grinding in the tower...

I'm also bemused at Akihiko not hanging out by the clubs on Mondays and Fridays like he said he would! he's only been there a couple of times when I checked, and I always check! damn you akihiko! :mad:

Brobzoid said:
I feel like I'm fumbling a little in the dark with the S.Links. Someone said earlier in the thread that there were nighttime slinks? Do they mean walking the doggie? (I just got the doggie) And it doesn't seem like there are random 'oh hey, wanna do shit' slink opportunities like there were in P4. Or rather, when you talk to people at school, you might get an slink opportunity, but in the lounge they all just spout random topical lines and whine about grinding in the tower...

I'm also bemused at Akihiko not hanging out by the clubs on Mondays and Fridays like he said he would! he's only been there a couple of times when I checked, and I always check! damn you akihiko! :mad:
It's been a year since I've touched P3, but two of the night-time S.Links I remember are the businessman at the mall, and the monk in Club Escapade.

Peff

Brobzoid said:

Akihiko is usually in the Laboratory hallway. You should be getting invitations on Sunday and after school too.

Yaweee

Fimbulvetr said:
What's the difference between them?

They're just completely different personalities. Elizabeth is kind of crazy and hyperactive, while Theo is an extremely naive know-it-all that is easily offended and bashful. His voice actor does a great job.

As for the other S. Links:
- Junpei is pretty great so far (only five or six ranks in). Clearly meant to cover in the gap compared scenes missing from The Answer, but he comes off as very likable.
- Haven't gotten too far in Akihiko, but it sure isn't what I expected so far.
- Koromaru stuff seems pretty good so far, but, again, only a few ranks in. With him now as an S. Link, the regular "walk" scenes just act as free points for both him and whoever you encounter, and it also nets you some extra items. One of the (great) rank sequences involved another Gekko teacher, and I'm hoping there's more.

Devil, Tower, Heirophant, and Hanged Man are all pretty much the same, with only a few varied lines scattered throughout them.

Some of the S. Links that have equivalent scenes between the guy and girl have different dialogue options and responses, which keeps them interesting.

MShe has relatively few S. Links on non-school days (no MMO Hermit, no Moon), leaving there many more opportunities to answer calls from friends or go out to earn stats, which is a bit more difficult than it was in FES due to not being able to study after night-time activities.

darkpaladinmfc said:
It's been a year since I've touched P3, but two of the night-time S.Links I remember are the businessman at the mall, and the monk in Club Escapade.

The first two night S. Links (Tower and Devil) are both activated at around rank 3.

- Devil follows from Hermit (either MMO girl complaining about a drunk guy or MShe's Saori talking about famous people showing up at night at the mall)

- Tower link comes from Rio (MShe) or Yoko (MC). After he shows up, you need a certain level of Courage to proceed.

Brobzoid

yea, you get invitations on sundays sometimes, but I was thinking more like, when you're running around in P4 and you can randomly bump into someone...

I didn't know about the business man at the mall, do you have to do anything for him to become available as an slink or is just walk up and talk? The monk I only talked to once, but he was all kinds of angry, does he need anything to become slink-able?

Yaweee

Brobzoid said:
yea, you get invitations on sundays sometimes, but I was thinking more like, when you're running around in P4 and you can randomly bump into someone...

I didn't know about the business man at the mall, do you have to do anything for him to become available as an slink or is just walk up and talk? The monk I only talked to once, but he was all kinds of angry, does he need anything to become slink-able?

(See above posts about the night S. Links)

All of P3's S. Links have "bread crumb" events or mentions that lead you to them. But they can be easy to accidentally skip, like Bebe (go to the Home Ec room after you meet him in the Heirophant scenes), or Nozumi (fat guy in the MC's mall).

Brobzoid

I don't even have a hierophant slink I think... >_> who is that, and where do I get it?

I'm playing as a lady, btw. if that changes up some of these things.

Yaweee

Brobzoid said:
I don't even have a hierophant slink I think... >_> who is that, and where do I get it?

I'm playing as a lady, btw. if that changes up some of these things.

Heirophant is the used bookstore on the first floor of the three-story shopping mall. It is one of the few optional S. Links that is completely the same between MShe and MC.

joelseph said:
DQ9 seems like a drag after playing a few hours of this.

Yup. I'm trying to juggle the two, but P3P is pretty much faster in every way imaginable. The text speed in DQ9 is horrific =(

Brobzoid

Yaweee said:
Heirophant is the used bookstore on the first floor of the three-story shopping mall. It is one of the few optional S. Links that is completely the same between MShe and MC.
oh the old couple? I have that one. they depressed me after the dude started talking about his dead son and his wife being all like "why do u always do that ;_;"

jcm

Brobzoid said:

Businessman has a charm requirement, monk has a courage requirement.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked this up yesterday! It's been a long time since I played FES (only the Journey, though) so I'm really enjoying revisiting Gekkoukan High.

Random question: Is it still possible to get Great status from going to the restroom? I've tried it a couple times, but have only gotten the "your mind wanders..." text so far.

ExMachina said:
Just picked this up yesterday! It's been a long time since I played FES (only the Journey, though) so I'm really enjoying revisiting Gekkoukan High.

Random question: Is it still possible to get Great status from going to the restroom? I've tried it a couple times, but have only gotten the "your mind wanders..." text so far.

Yeah, but it's random. Also you might find items sometimes.

I just thought of something that might bum me out. If I max the lovers slink with the male MC, and do a new game plus with a female MC, I will miss out on all the dialogue and relationship building correct for the male version of that slink right?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One big error potentially:

During the second exam, one of the answers should be
Pythagoras
but instead the game only accepts
Moses
as the right answer. If you already have max academics, it shouldn't matter though.

Also, found a typo near the end in the Junpei scene in January. Can't catch them all I suppose. :lol

Brobzoid

someone already posted earlier in the thread about the lady main character being referred to as a dude in the text even though the voice over was correct. I A GURL ROLEPLAYING EXPERIENCE RUINED ;_;

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Something I just noticed at the end - in the Club, there's a
drunk man at the bar talking about getting his girlfriend pregnant or something
is that connected to anything? It just seemed really random, especially since the
Monk
mentions him at the end.

mileS

Brobzoid said:
someone already posted earlier in the thread about the lady main character being referred to as a dude in the text even though the voice over was correct. I A GURL ROLEPLAYING EXPERIENCE RUINED ;_;
I think it was the other way around.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I just thought of something that might bum me out. If I max an slink with the male MC, and do a new game plus with a female MC, I will miss out on all the dialogue and relationship building for the male version of that slink?

Anyone?

Im halfway through playing as a guy and im wondering where i should focus my next few months of hangout time.

Larsen B

S-Link progress itself doesn't carry over to NG+ but any Max S-Link items you received in your first playthrough (giving you the ability to fuse each ultimate Persona) carry over, with the exception of
Orpheus Telos

Any S-Links will be reset to zero so you can get all the gender-specific dialogue.

Larsen B

It's not really a usable item, it just gives you the option to fuse an ultimate persona with the right combination of demons.

As with any fusion, you can re-fuse if you have the right demons and, as far as I can remember from FES, once you've fused an ultimate persona once, it's in your compendium.

Larsen B said:
It's not really a usable item, it just gives you the option to fuse an ultimate persona with the right combination of demons.

As with any fusion, you can re-fuse if you have the right demons and, as far as I can remember from FES, once you've fused an ultimate persona once, it's in your compendium.

Sweet.

I still feel unfocused as to how i should be spending my social time now knowing the level wont carry over. I guess i should try to get a few maxes in some links with my male MC and ignore those when i play as a girl.

Ferga

I am playing it now, one question:

Is the game replay-able if you want to change genders when you finish with the first gender

Barrett2

Playing on medium difficulty, I found the first 7 hours to be really easy, but after the Full Moon event, the difficulty drastically increased.

Should I be fusing personas at this point?

Sophia

lawblob said:

Yes. As a general rule, it's not usually a good idea to hang onto a Persona that's learned all its skill.

Plus, you can always get them from the compendium later.

Ferga

lawblob said:
Playing on medium difficulty, I found the first 7 hours to be really easy, but after the Full Moon event, the difficulty drastically increased.

wow, you havn't done it yet? i was doing that from the beginning!

Larsen B

I'd say yes, purely for exploring the fusion system, but if you're not struggling with your existing demons, then not really.

Typically, you'll fuse new personas when you find your existing ones don't cut the mustard; normally this will be when you come to a sub-boss or such.

Almyn

The fusing system in SMT games really confuses me. It's actually quite off putting at times, I always feel like i'm doing the wrong thing and making things harder for myself.

Sophia

That's kinda the ingenious thing about it. You can't really do the wrong thing in the newer SMT games. Select a combination, see if you like it. If so, go for it. Granted, there are ways to ensure the most optimal Persona, but for simply finishing the game, you can't really go wrong.

Jay Sosa

Marrshu said:
That's kinda the ingenious thing about it. You can't really do the wrong thing in the newer SMT games. Select a combination, see if you like it. If so, go for it. Granted, there are ways to ensure the most optimal Persona, but for simply finishing the game, you can't really go wrong.

Sometimes I spent 20 minutes or more in the compendium clicking back and forth to get the perfect skills for the persona I want to create, thank god the soothing piano music help me to stay calm.

Always try to give all my cards the "Growth" skill, to me it's the most important and practical there is.

Just got this on the PSN and downloading ATM. I actually bought P4 but I never got a chance to really start it, and then the Endurance Runs were going on... Either way this will be my first Persona game, and I'm pretty excited based on what I've seen/read. If I do end up liking this, is the Persona remake worth picking up as well?

Curufinwe

Marrshu said:

Yup, don't overthink fusion you'll be fine if you're playing on Normal or lower.

One bit of advice the Endurance Run could have done with is to pay attention to your created Persona's stats, as well as its level when you are fusing. You might be able to create, for example, a Gdon that's a few levels higher than your main character thanks to the S.Link experience bonus. But if its magic stat is low, using it as your main Agi-caster is a bad idea.

Curufinwe

PTCoakley said:
Just got this on the PSN and downloading ATM. I actually bought P4 but I never got a chance to really start it, and then the Endurance Runs were going on... Either way this will be my first Persona game, and I'm pretty excited based on what I've seen/read. If I do end up liking this, is the Persona remake worth picking up as well?

Persona is a very, very different game. It has very confusing maze-like dungeons with constant random battles, and no S.Links.

If you do like P3P, play P4 rather than Persona on the PSP.

Jerk

Banned
Curufinwe said:
Yup, don't overthink fusion you'll be fine if you're playing on Normal or lower.

One bit of advice the Endurance Run could have done with is to pay attention to your created Persona's stats, as well as its level when you are fusing. You might be able to create, for example, a Gdon that's a few levels higher than your main character thanks to the S.Link experience bonus. But if its magic stat is low, using it as your main Agi-caster is a bad idea.

This.

Even on hard and maniac you can safely just slap random stuff together as long as you make sure you have a healthy and varied stable.

At least that is what I do in this game (and Nocturne and P4) as I really hate demon fusion.

jcm

Gamer @ Heart said:
Sweet.

I still feel unfocused as to how i should be spending my social time now knowing the level wont carry over. I guess i should try to get a few maxes in some links with my male MC and ignore those when i play as a girl.

I find that I enjoy Persona most when I just do what I'm interested in, rather than try to optimize slinks or fusions. Normally when I play RPGs I'm pretty obsessive about doing things "right", but with P3 and P4 that's not terribly important. You'll be able to complete the game, and having some stuff unseen will make your second playthrough more interesting. Just relax and have fun.

Yaweee

Curufinwe said:

Level >>> more important than stats in the combat algorithms. Each point into Magic or Strength is only a few % difference in spell strength, and there really isn't THAT much variance in stats between Persona of equal levels. On the other hand, I think each Lvl increases damage dealt by somewhere between 5 and 10%, and reducing damage by roughly the same factor, and increasing hit, and increasing dodge, and reducing your changes to be crit, etc.

ultron87

So I'm actually playing FES, but I imagine this probably still applies to P3P as well.

Playing this game is a constant battle between my desire to move things along and my desire to play the game optimally. Cause if I was playing optimally I'd ensure that my entire party was tired before calling it a day in Tartarus. At this point in the game however
(I just beat the Tank full moon boss)
that takes seemingly fooorrrreeeevvveeer. So I usually punch out once I've either reached a new waypoint teleport thing or the top of the current block.

The fact that I'm easily rolling all the full moon bosses isn't really encouraging me to grind much either.

I'm on Normal mode, is there ever going to be some crazy difficulty spike where I will regret not grinding more, or can I just continue on my pattern of: Get to highest accessible point in Tartarus -> Social Link till full moon?

Top Bottom