• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

depward

Class_A_Ninja said:
I just got some sweet rare panties that make Yuka-tan pretty naked, and giving Elizabeth a COMPstation got me a two handed sword. It boosted Junpei's attack from 36 to 118 or something. It was a good night.

I got the same! Put those rare panties on Yuka-tan and talked to her in Tartarus and her reaction was funny :lol

anddo0

Peff said:
Yep. Wednesdays/Saturdays. Also, studying during the day is much better than the night. Use a few of the days before the exams because school S. Links are disabled.

I reached my first midterms... Been studying like crazy. I found another quick way to boost academics is eating at that restaurant located in the strip mall. The prodigy meal (whatever you call it) gives a huge boost. It's the equivalent to two or three academic boosts. I was "average" and went to "above average" after eating there and studying before bed. I just made level 3 before midterms.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I AM JOHN! said:
You can do that? :eek:

Yeah, I was all set to say goodbye to
Shinji
... then the game ended and I swore out loud. God damn JRPGs. Certainly I'm probably not going to replay the whole game again soon (50 hours :() just to watch a 30 second scene.

I guess I'm really the first person posting here to finish the game? I'm curious about
Margaret
, but not enough to do those challenges now that I'm done with the game.

Yaweee

firehawk12 said:
Shinji
... then the game ended and I swore out loud. God damn JRPGs. Certainly I'm probably not going to replay the whole game again soon (50 hours :() just to watch a 30 second scene.

I guess I'm really the first person posting here to finish the game? I'm curious about
Margaret

So what did you think of it, overall?

firehawk12 said:
Shinji

Margaret
Wtf,
Margaret as in P4 Margaret
is in the game?

Yeah dude, you're totally the first person in this thread to finish P3P. I've still only played up to right before you get your Persona lol (I'm trying to finish Glory of Heracles first, and I apparently only have an hour to go now, thankfully).

Also, just gonna leave this here (and the OP, but who's keeping track, right?):
gnhd.jpg

stawnkald

I probably could have finished the game this week if I hadn't gotten obnoxiously sick over the weekend and thus have spent most of my days staring into space, watching random TV marathons, and hoping I won't wake up from my naps. :lol I've been stuck about a week before the October moon event since Monday.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yaweee said:
So what did you think of it, overall?

For the most part, I loved it - which is why I was able to grind through it in two weeks. I was also playing on Beginner though, so I'm sure that's a big part of why I was able to get through it relatively quickly. I'm sure the dudes playing on Maniacs or Hard are having a tougher time of it. Also, if I wasn't OCD and needed to get my compendium to 100%, I probably would have finished it much earlier (that probably added at least 10 hours to my playthrough).

Really, the biggest motivating factor was changing the gender of the protagonist. Without the carrot of "how will they handle THIS scene?" I'm not sure I would have finished it as quickly as I did. There are also some interesting gender dynamics in the game insomuch that the most mature love interest for the female protagonist is an elementary school kid. In all other cases, you basically have to bully your way through to a romance.

Gameplay wise, I still think having three types of physical attacks was a bit too dense and I'm glad that they went the way they did in P4. But direct control, the P4 shuffle time games (without the fucking slot machine, thank god) and the pseudo-P4 rescue mechanic are welcome additions. They also removed all the "annoyances" of P3, which helps tremendously (except for the fact that analysis takes a few turns to take effect).

Having the ending fresh in my mind though, I still think that they should have found a way to include the cutscenes from The Answer into the game as some kind of bonus.

I AM JOHN! said:
Wtf,
Margaret as in P4 Margaret
is in the game?

Yep.
She challenges you to basically a boss rush mode before you fight her yourself
. It just seemed like way too much work just to see if an overt P4 reference is made though.

Brobzoid said:

It's nothing to be proud of. :lol

Wizpig

Wtf, is that P3P on a TV or is it just Persona 3?

... It's P3P, isn't it?
Is it an official connection feature between PSP and Ps3 or what?

ultron87

Wizpig said:
Wtf, is that P3P on a TV or is it just Persona 3?

... It's P3P, isn't it?
Is it an official connection feature between PSP and Ps3 or what?

PSPs have video-out.

Darkness said:
Is there a way to transfer Persona from the main character to other characters? I don't see an option.

Everyone except the main character has one Persona they keep for the game. Only the MC can switch Personas. Because he's a soulless abomination. Or doesn't hide behind a single personality. Or whatever the hell they say at the start of the game.

Deadly

I've never played a Persona game before so I picked the Male lead. I'm going to try and follow a guide for the S.links though. Will a guide from FES do or are there too many changes?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ultron87 said:
Everyone except the main character has one Persona they keep for the game. Only the MC can switch Personas. Because he's a soulless abomination. Or doesn't hide behind a single personality. Or whatever the hell they say at the start of the game.

YOU ARE ZERO!!!!

Deadly said:
I've never played a Persona game before so I picked the Male lead. I'm going to try and follow a guide for the S.links though. Will a guide from FES do or are there too many changes?

Given some of the changes to the ranking, there might be a more efficient way to go through the S-links but the FAQ should still work.

Deadly said:
Don't use a guide, it'll kinda spoil the game. Just play normally, and use a guide in your inevitable second playthrough.

Deadly

darkpaladinmfc said:
Don't use a guide, it'll kinda spoil the game. Just play normally, and use a guide in your inevitable second playthrough.
Unless a second playthrough is VERY different (like in this case the Female lead) I tend to try and always perfect a first run if it's possible. I don't mind spoilers at all, if the game is really good it won't prevent me from enjoying it :D

mileS

Thanks for posting that pic! :D

I was starting to think that GB wouldn't even do a quick look at this point... Its gotta be just a quick look right? lol

Where did you find that pic anyway? i'm looking on most the GB twitters and can't find it.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
So there are three people lost in the tartarus at the moment, aaaaaaand I'm not all that psyched to go after them. How long til they die? is that a fail state?

Deadly said:
Unless a second playthrough is VERY different (like in this case the Female lead) I tend to try and always perfect a first run if it's possible. I don't mind spoilers at all, if the game is really good it won't prevent me from enjoying it :D
The process of "perfecting" the game on your first run-through is an arduous and shitty process in which the entire game will be planned out for you without giving you the opportunity to be creative and explore the game's world however you want to. And since you don't need a guide to do well at the game because it's not that difficult on Normal, you're better off just not doing it.

mileS said:
Thanks for posting that pic! :D

I was starting to think that GB wouldn't even do a quick look at this point... Its gotta be just a quick look right? lol

Where did you find that pic anyway? i'm looking on most the GB twitters and can't find it.
Jeff posted it on Twitter this afternoon.

Brobzoid said:
So there are three people lost in the tartarus at the moment, aaaaaaand I'm not all that psyched to go after them. How long til they die? is that a fail state?
I'm just going off what I've heard here so I could be (read: probably am) wrong, but you have until the next full moon event to save them, and it's not a fail state if they die.

Tamanon

Banned
Brobzoid said:

It's just a bonus thing, they die at the next full moon.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Fuck em then. Getting some quality time with the dog at the movies is far more important.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Two of the people who get trapped turn out to be S-links though, so if you're still working on them you'll need to save them to continue.

I almost wish I let them die just to see what happens... probably nothing though.

Pappasman

im stuck on the tower boss in the third block. It's seriously pissing me off. gonna spend tomorrow grinding up for that battle.

Also I would rather GB not do a P3P endurance run. I would rather have them just wait for P5.

Hesemonni

Banned
I can't recall why I gave up on FES last year, but now as I'm playing P3P I'm seriously in love with the game once again. I really like how you can basically spend one day grinding the Tartarus and after that concentrate on Social Links and building your stats.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Hesemonni said:
I can't recall why I gave up on FES last year, but now as I'm playing P3P I'm seriously in love with the game once again. I really like how you can basically spend one day grinding the Tartarus and after that concentrate on Social Links and building your stats.

Yep, this is what I do. I normally head into Tartarus on Saturday nights.

Ponn

Banned
I was liking this game but now i'm stuck in a rut. I feel like i'm being pulled in alot of directions and I hate that. I hate feeling like i'm missing out on something and no time to do stuff or hang out friends to build social links. I found some girl that wanted some bread and I went to get it but got ambushed by someone then it auto changed to evening and tried to get back to her the next day and she was gone. No idea what I missed out on. Really aggravating. And that stupid 16th floor won't open up. I got all the way to it on my first run and they keep telling me to go back into Tartarus but i'm just grinding on low level shadows and the barricade won't lift.

Swordian

Ponn01 said:
I was liking this game but now i'm stuck in a rut. I feel like i'm being pulled in alot of directions and I hate that. I hate feeling like i'm missing out on something and no time to do stuff or hang out friends to build social links. I found some girl that wanted some bread and I went to get it but got ambushed by someone then it auto changed to evening and tried to get back to her the next day and she was gone. No idea what I missed out on. Really aggravating. And that stupid 16th floor won't open up. I got all the way to it on my first run and they keep telling me to go back into Tartarus but i'm just grinding on low level shadows and the barricade won't lift.

When you reach a barrier, it won't lift until you complete the next full moon event. Just because your party members say they want to go to Tartarus doesn't mean you have go. Someone almost always wants to go.

As for the girl, she only shows up on certain days, so you haven't missed out on anything.

tokkun

Ponn01 said:
I was liking this game but now i'm stuck in a rut. I feel like i'm being pulled in alot of directions and I hate that. I hate feeling like i'm missing out on something and no time to do stuff or hang out friends to build social links.

That's just the nature of this game.

"You have one year, spend your time wisely".

I think one of the reasons I like this game so much is that it really reminded me of the sort of feeling I had in my first year of college. You're given all this freedom with your time, as long as you work within deadlines. You have to choose how to juggle studying, going out with friends, and your job. At the end of the year you look back and think about how you could have done things differently, the choices you made, and what you gained and missed out on as a consequences of those choices. It was really one of those transcendent gaming experiences for me.

Now to digress for a moment, what I find really interesting is that I have recommended P3 to a few of my friends who are in to RPGs and they have mostly had the same reaction you did. They have this "completionist" mindset if they cannot max every S.Link and get every persona they can't enjoy the game. However, it is the exact same people who are very hard to convince to come out to bars, go to concerts, or take part most other social activities within my circle of friends. They will go nuts trying to complete every social event within the allotted time of the game world, but choose to let real experiences pass them by in the limited time of their own lives.

Anyway, I suggest that instead of worrying about doing everything in the game that you just try to roleplay the character a little bit and make choices from there. This is one of the few JRPGs I've played that gives an actual roleplaying flavor.

Ultima_5

I lost my save data for persona 3 p today. I was hoping someone would have a save file they could send me.

Plot spoilers ~ I just
rescued Fuuka
I was a male character, and was on the swim team....

Hopefully someone can help me =(

Minamu

Ultima_5 said:
I lost my save data for persona 3 p today. I was hoping someone would have a save file they could send me.

Plot spoilers ~ I just
rescued Fuuka
I was a male character, and was on the swim team....

Hopefully someone can help me =(
I'm relatively close to you, male and swim team as well (team at max though) with about 600k yen in my pocket, all but one of the available quests completed I think and about 1 week away from the next boss. Been using a 4-elem Lillim for the most part and just got a pale rider. Sounds good? NA version obviously :)

Ultima_5

Minamu said:
I'm relatively close to you, male and swim team as well (team at max though) with about 600k yen in my pocket, all but one of the available quests completed I think and about 1 week away from the next boss. Been using a 4-elem Lillim for the most part and just got a pale rider. Sounds good? NA version obviously :)
geez you're playing the game alot better than I was :lol
I'll send you a pm. Thanks in advance

Delio

Welp i'm at the final month of the game and just Lv grinding now. Already got my end game team down (Shockingly not using Yukari for once!)

mugwhump

So what do the persona's stats affect? I assume STR and MAG just affect how much damage my persona does, but do END, AGI, and LCK change the damage my character takes and how often he gets hit?

It does seem like AGI changes how often MC gets to go compared to his teammates. Are there formulas for what all these stats do somewhere?

entremet

Minamu said:
I don't think so, but there's a pdf of the real manual somewhere around here.
Really? Wow. Why is Sony allowing this half assed approach for the PSP games on PSN? I'm done with UMDs, but at least do it right since I'm still paying same price as a retail boxed copy.

DR2K

Banned
entrement said:
Really? Wow. Why is Sony allowing this half assed approach for the PSP games on PSN? I'm done with UMDs, but at least do it right since I'm still paying same price as a retail boxed copy.

You've got the internet dude, do you really need that manual?

entremet

DR2K said:
You've got the internet dude, do you really need that manual?
I'm paying that same amount as I would if I got a boxed copy with a manual. It is unreasonable to demand a digital manual?

Plus I would like to be able to bring up the manual on my PSP, which I usually play on the subway, where I don't have any Internet access.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mugwhump said:
So what do the persona's stats affect? I assume STR and MAG just affect how much damage my persona does, but do END, HIT, and LCK change the damage my character takes and how often he gets hit?

END effects your performance in long battles (boss battles), LCK is for crits and dodges I imagine and HIT is probably chance to hit/miss with an attack.

kman3000

firehawk12 said:
As Jeff Gerstmann might say, he's P3's Mr. Moron. :lol
Although Morooka was an asshole, he was at least funny (for the most part) and had a great VA.

Ekoda on the other hand is just a prick and has no redeeming qualties (so far...).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
kman3000 said:
Although Morooka was an asshole, he was at least funny (for the most part) and had a great VA.

Ekoda on the other hand is just a prick and has no redeeming qualties (so far...).

Well, he doesn't hate bitches, that's for sure.

Top Bottom