• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

mugwhump said:
So what do the persona's stats affect? I assume STR and MAG just affect how much damage my persona does, but do END, HIT, and LCK change the damage my character takes and how often he gets hit?
END = Defence, but your level is a factor in damage reduction as well.
AGL = Hit and evasion rate.
LCK = Affects critical chance and evasion rate.

Assuming they haven't changed it from 4/FES.

Melville

No, they have different weapons: male has short sword, female has some kind of pole weapon called naginata.
Oh and their outfits are different too, but that's to be expected :p

rocK`

Banned
Man, I didn't think this would happen..

I finish the first block having absolutely no problems, destroying the boss with little effort to lift the barrier.

I go into lvl 16+ and get owned in almost every fight. I can't grind from 1-14 because there are no monsters, so idk what to do :\

Minamu

rocK` said:

I finish the first block having absolutely no problems, destroying the boss with little effort to lift the barrier.

I go into lvl 16+ and get owned in almost every fight. I can't grind from 1-14 because there are no monsters, so idk what to do :\
I had similar problems. Certain new Personae could help you survive against them but I'm not sure of their names :( There should be plenty of enemies in Block 1 for you though. They should never disappear. Try another day?

rocK` said:

The difficulty spike between Blocks 1 and 2 is probably amongst the largest in the entire game for your first time through.

Just wait a few days before going back into Tartarus. After exams, you'll get some more help in the form of
Akihiko
. Try again then.

And remember, don't try to do too much, too fast. Feel free to take the teleporters back down to the lobby and save after every two floors or so. If you go up the steps in the lobby you can continue from the floor you last left.

TenshiOni said:
And remember, don't try to do too much, too fast. Feel free to take the teleporters back down to the lobby and save after every two floors or so. If you go up the steps in the lobby you can continue from the floor you last left.

You can? I thought the only place to transport back and forth were the boss floors.

Wizpig

Wait, so I take a green teleporter even if it's not one that works both ways, and then I can save and click on the stairs and I'll be at the same floor?!

Nice add.
Probably the best one in P3P, since I don't like the other ones at all. (I think those CoOp attacks are new, right? I don't like them. also they removed things like Cadenza... and made them items).

mileS

Wizpig said:
Wait, so I take a green teleporter even if it's not one that works both ways, and then I can save and click on the stairs and I'll be at the same floor?!

Nice add.
Probably the best one in P3P, since I don't like the other ones at all. (I think those CoOp attacks are new, right? I don't like them. also they removed things like Cadenza... and made them items).

I can understand not being a fan of new static backrounds and lack of 3d characters outside of the dungeon but how can you honestly not like any of the other changes? You don't even have to do the co-op attacks :lol

Curufinwe

Melville said:
No, they have different weapons: male has short sword, female has some kind of pole weapon called naginata.
Oh and their outfits are different too, but that's to be expected :p

The naginata is awesome. It has great reach and is very quick.

So, playing this, I'm finding myself really missing 3D models and their dumb little animations and walking around. I'm a big P4 fan, never played P3, though I have copies of both Persona 3 and P3: FES for PS2 here. Should I be playing the PS2 version instead?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm getting close to the point I stopped playing the original P3 (Not because of boredom, but because FES came out an I switched to that, and never really got started on it). I'm not missing the animated cut scenes and the cursor is growing on me. Much less time consuming. Kinda wish I chose the hardest mode, though. In general, I'm enjoying it more than the original P3. I do wish whoever came up with the double team thing would be poisoned.

That said, reading the Midnighter series has really made this play-through interesting. I keep comparing the two. In case you don't know, the Midnighters is a series about a group of teens who are the only ones in their town that experience a hidden hour that happens at midnight. All technology stops and they have to fight a bunch of dark shadowy creatures that only inhabit this hour.

Salsa

Man, i really need to hook up my PS2 and finish FES :(

Tons of hours in, then i got a Wii and left it there. I wouldnt even know where the fuck i am now and what do i have to do, and im not gonna do all that stuff again. I also have P4, bought it knowing i would play it someday. Fuck i hate it when this happens :(

I think im just gonna read a recap until the part im in and continue from there, its been more than a year. We`ll see how that goes.

mugwhump

Shit, the game keeps freezing during the 2nd (3rd?) full moon when
we sneak into the school. I enter the faculty office and it gets stuck on a black screen with the wolf howling.
. Running 5.50 GEN-B.

Oh also, do buffs/nerfs stack?

Yeah, people have been complaining about it fucking up if you patch it by decrypting it with Prometheus as opposed to run it with a Prometheus-enabled CFW. I don't know what the difference is there, maybe Atlus put in some kind of integrity check that fails on a patched EBOOT.bin file.

I ripped and patched my copy with Prometheus. I'm still running on 5.50 GEN D2. I'm already in September.

The only problem I had so far is that if I accidentally put my PSP to sleep during some point in battle (maybe when the game loads something), when I wake it up it will refuse to load anything else, so while the game still plays, as soon as you do anything to trigger any loading (such as summoning a Persona), it will just get stuck there.

TOO MANY CHARACTERS.

Im OCD when it comes to leveling a party but with my MC getting further and further away from everyone else, leveling them all up feels more of a grind.

So, who should i drop? I already dropped
Aigis, because of the lack of magic and im leaning toward dropping Shinjiri or whatever because im not liking his skills either. I'm i hurting myself in some future fight? WHo do you suggest

mileS

I just started the Hermit S.link.. wow this is amazing :lol
Kinda bummed i've been putting off trying this for so long. It's kind of strange that it takes up a full day though... Actually not really its more realistic that way lol

Gamer @ Heart said:
TOO MANY CHARACTERS.

Im OCD when it comes to leveling a party but with my MC getting further and further away from everyone else, leveling them all up feels more of a grind.

So, who should i drop? I already dropped
Aigis, because of the lack of magic and im leaning toward dropping Shinjiri or whatever because im not liking his skills either. I'm i hurting myself in some future fight? WHo do you suggest

i'd suggest just settling on a team, & passing on leveling everyone - it's how i played the ps2 version, & it worked just fine (stuck with yukari, junpei, & mitsuru). it's just as easy to let the mc accommodate for any weakness as it is to spend time choosing the best team for each boss. i'm using the female mc this time, & just beat the reaper with the 'chickfest' -
aigis
is a great second buffer, & gets some very good physical attack skills...

&, if you're really that ocd, you can always just beat the reaper, unlock monad (heaven's door), & level everyone to hell'n'back pretty quickly :) ...

Uncle AJ

I'm really proud of this guy:

DSC00494.jpg

Should've been Kanji's Skullomania design from P4

TheFreshPrince

I've never played a Persona game (or any SMT game for that matter), but I'm loving P3P after playing for about 90 mins!

I just beat what I assume to be the first 'boss', on the 5th level of the tower. How far should you explore on any given day? Are there any hints/tells for how far you can/should go? Can you miss out on anything if you take your time and only go a few a day?

Also, is it bad to fuse Persona too early? What level should they be before fusing?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TheFreshPrince said:
I've never played a Persona game (or any SMT game for that matter), but I'm loving P3P after playing for about 90 mins!

I just beat what I assume to be the first 'boss', on the 5th level of the tower. How far should you explore on any given day? Are there any hints/tells for how far you can/should go? Can you miss out on anything if you take your time and only go a few a day?

Also, is it bad to fuse Persona too early? What level should they be before fusing?

You can go up to the top of a block in a single day if you want. Just wait until you are told that someone is trapped in Tartarus before you do so or you'll end up doing some backtracking.

And if you are trying to go for the S-links, you should be fusing early to get the Personas that you need as soon as possible.

mileS said:
Invigorate 3 on a lvl 27? I don't even remember getting that in Persona 4. Whats with the heart by the name?

If you obtain all of the Persona's skills, he will give you a special item.

Uncle AJ

Yeah, and the Invigorate 3 is from a skill card I slapped on him. I think I bought it from the weapon fuser lady in exchange for some gems (the stuff like Amythest and Turquoise you occasionally get from battles).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hesemonni said:
BUT, will there ever be P4P?

dude i sincerely hope there is, i don't care if it's all static screen too, P4's characters/story stuck with me much more.

Wizpig

I have some issues with this port's audio quality.

Basically, the voices and music quality is almost perfect, high-quality.
But some sound effects in battle and some passages in some songs make my ears bleed.
Playing with headphones, but you can notice it without them, too.

I've never played a Persona game before *hides behind cover* and decided after hearing about how awesome Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 were, I decided to get P3P.

My god, this game is more addictive then crack. I find it really hard atm to play anything else. I just got Zelda: TP, Fragile Dreams, Monster Hunter 3 and Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii, Demon Souls on PS3, and Nier on 360, but I just can't get into them atm. Everytime I go to play a console game, I get the urge to turn off the console and play Persona 3. It's like I am getting withdrawals.

I am @8 hours in so far, and
completed the first 16 floors of Tartarus.
Aside from that, I've done jack shit in terms of anything else :lol

BTW...
Death scares me. When I first stumbled across him, I was like, bring it on bitch!!! Only to find out seconds later that he would make me his bitch instead :(

God forbid I should get P3 FES or P4. I'd never be able to cope :lol

rocK`

Banned
TenshiOni said:
The difficulty spike between Blocks 1 and 2 is probably amongst the largest in the entire game for your first time through.

Just wait a few days before going back into Tartarus. After exams, you'll get some more help in the form of
Akihiko
. Try again then.

Thanks for this, it pulled me through to dominate some of 2nd block (I'm already at the blocked gate, but I'm not sure if that's all of Block 2 yet).

Jay Sosa

Mo the Hawk said:
I'm really proud of this guy:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/MoTheHawk/DSC00494.jpg

[spoiler]Should've been Kanji's Skullomania design from P4[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

What's that little heart thingy doing there? That is new isn't it?

Peff

The hearts were in FES too if memory serves. Basically you level up a bit and then the Persona gives you an item (accessory, armor, healing item...)

Top Bottom