• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalwart

Gonna start working on my Yoshi with Hassou Tobi, Charge and Drain x5. Should I make my last skill Ali Dance or Apt Pupil? Apt Pupil doesn't need explanation but I figured Ali Dance would be good vs almighty / super bosses breaking your resistances.

ferunnico

Neo Member
Should I replace weaker skills with their stronger versions (for example Maragion instead of Maragi) or should I keep them both? Most of the time I don't use them to deal a lot of damage but to knock down enemies so I can finish them with an all-out Attack. So it seems using the weaker version gets the job done most of the time and conserves SP.

Also, can you still hang out with characters after maxing out their social link? Is there any benefit in doing so?

Should I replace weaker skills with their stronger versions (for example Maragion instead of Maragi) or should I keep them both? Most of the time I don't use them to deal a lot of damage but to knock down enemies so I can finish them with an all-out Attack. So it seems using the weaker version gets the job done most of the time and conserves SP.

Also, can you still hang out with characters after maxing out their social link? Is there any benefit in doing so?

No point keeping weaker spells. You have way better skills to use those slots.

Dunno in P5, in in P3/4 it was pointless to spend time with them after maxing out the link.

RalchAC

It's overblown. Game was too good so people needed something to complain about ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, there are some questionable lines but the game in general isn't that badly localized.

Most of those clunky translations are in the first few hours of the game.

Seeing how many dialogue lines the game has (story, coops, LINE messages, Mementos banter, and other stuff I can't remember), having some clunky lines doesn't seem that weird.

My impression is that the game has MUCH more text than Persona 3/4. The word count of those chat group conversations alone must be huge.

Just hit September. There's no way I'm maxing out a vast majority of my Confidants. I'll get maybe four or five of them total, I think. Stat requirements are really chafing my ladydick, and I'm often too lazy to keep the proper Arcana on me.

August burned me the fuck out on
the slice of life parts of this game, though. Jesus Christ. 25 days of just SOL shit.
Maybe shouldn't have tackled it all in one sitting, but holy goddamn. Halfway through it, I said to a buddy of mine, "This game is paced like ass." And it really is. I don't remember these kinds of pacing issues with P4G, but it's been a few years since I played it, so I could just be forgetting.

I really just want to take a moment to appreciate the main character in this game, though. God, I really just adore him and his dialogue choices. He's such a huge step up from Yu, and he shines a light on just how fucking nothing Yu was. I know Atlus will never do this, but I'd love to check on him in 10 or even 20 years to see how his life turned out.

nOoblet16

It's all up to you really, if you choose to not keep strong versions then you will lose out on damage for mini bosses and bosses. What I do is that for everyone apart from the MC I keep the strong skills and buff them up with passive skills as much as possible. For MC I do the same but I also keep 1-2 low level personas that deal low level AoE elemental attacks just to conserve SP for those low level enemies.

Another thing I do is that since Invigorate skill stacks, I use the SP accessory along with a persona with Invigorate as my default persona everytime I go into a battle. That way I get like 12-14 SP the moment I get control, which is more than enough to use low level skills on shitty enemies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wtf I had my
fortune read
for guts but this movie still only gave me 2 notes as usual. How does that thing work?

RalchAC

I've just finished the Temperance arcana. Really good writting in the last few levels. I loved the send off. How
she becomes a really good teacher, how she says sorry for thinking of you as a hassle and scolds you. And then she says she knows you're a Phantom Thief but decides to trust you.

Dunno, the level 10 of this coop was quite an emotional ride for me.

Just hit September. There's no way I'm maxing out a vast majority of my Confidants. I'll get maybe four or five of them total, I think. Stat requirements are really chafing my ladydick, and I'm often too lazy to keep the proper Arcana on me.

August burned me the fuck out on
the slice of life parts of this game, though. Jesus Christ. 25 days of just SOL shit.
Maybe shouldn't have tackled it all in one sitting, but holy goddamn. Halfway through it, I said to a buddy of mine, "This game is paced like ass." And it really is. I don't remember these kinds of pacing issues with P4G, but it's been a few years since I played it, so I could just be forgetting.

I really just want to take a moment to appreciate the main character in this game, though. God, I really just adore him and his dialogue choices. He's such a huge step up from Yu, and he shines a light on just how fucking nothing Yu was. I know Atlus will never do this, but I'd love to check on him in 10 or even 20 years to see how his life turned out.

He can definitely be more flavored than previous MC if you want. I loved the Hermit coop level 7 scene
where Futaba calls Mishima an NPC and you can choose "Savage" as an answer lol. Couldn't have put my thoughts into words better than that lol.

I definitely appreciate having 25 days to just do normal life stuff, without Morgana screwing me around and the cast being all like "dude, we gotta go to the Palace!".

I recommend you leveling up the Fortuna coop to level 7, since
you unlock a Fortune reading that increases affinity with coops, so you don't need to spend time with them when you get "your relationship won't deepen yet". After 1-2 days, you'll be able to level said coop.
I hate the feeling when you can't advance any coop in a day. Fortune and Temperance have some of the best perks when it comes to getting the most out of the calendar.

JJShadow

Should I spend some of my money on upgrading guns or is it better to save it for other purposes? I'm in the third dungeon atm and I'm still using the initial guns for each character. I've been mainly using them to exploit gun weakness mainly, not to deal damage, so I don't know if it's worth the investment

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm really sad I finished the game. I can't replay such a long game. :( enjoy it guys, don't rush through it.

Should I spend some of my money on upgrading guns or is it better to save it for other purposes? I'm in the third dungeon atm and I'm still using the initial guns for each character. I've been mainly using them to exploit gun weakness mainly, not to deal damage, so I don't know if it's worth the investment

Nope, just use them on flying enemies who should go down in a hit anyway. Upgrading them is pointless.

Philippo

How long does a NG+ run usually take? I'm thinking of going for the platinum before i jump onto another game, but does it take another 100+ hours, or being high level + most stats close to maxed makes it much faster?
Also how's the DLc difficulty?

5 hours into the game, like it more than 4 initially but just like with 4 my suspense of disbelief gets disturbed by the american voice actors using japanese honorary titles - it sounds super off to me. It draws me out of the experience a bit.

Espada

Man, doing the September palace in one sitting was a huge mistake. My brain was fried by the time I got to the puzzle at the end. Anyways, that's another one gone and I really want to talk about what happened at the end of that one.

I've only gotten to 9/22, Okumura's Palace is done. The person in all black that killed Okumura's shadow has a build very similar to one of the Confidants. Is my hunch correct?

Zolo

Finished Palace 2. 20 hours in now. My gaming in the past few months has been really badly skewed towards longass shit. 140 hours into FFXIV so far. 90+ hours to finish Zelda BotW. Now P5 is going to be another longass thing. Help.

Just make sure you get some sleep.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
5 hours into the game, like it more than 4 initially but just like with 4 my suspense of disbelief gets disturbed by the american voice actors using japanese honorary titles - it sounds super off to me. It draws me out of the experience a bit.

Use japanese voices then

Just got the
Judgement
confidant at the end of the "third act", I assume that one
has to "auto rank up" seeing who it is
?

Jiraiza

Emperor, Rank 5:

So this is the Passion of the Christ...!

If only the other characters were involved in his silliness, wasted potential.

nOoblet16

Palace 7:

This place fucking SUCKS.
I find it amazing due to the atmosphere, music and fights. Palace 5 did the same but in a drab place with shit music and did it more.

If you are having trouble going around then I recommend you use cover to cover movement, because the enemies don't notice you at all even if you are a hair length away and right in front of their line of sight. There are plenty of cover in the palaces for that reason.

grimmiq

I find it amazing due to the atmosphere, music and fights. Palace 5 did the same but in a drab place with shit music and did it more.

If you are having trouble going around then I recommend you use cover to cover movement, because the enemies don't notice you at all even if you are a hair length away and right in front of their line of sight. There are plenty of cover in the palaces for that reason.

It does annoy me that even if there's room for them to walk right by you without altering their pathing, if the path is narrow they'll freak out a little then turn around.

silva1991

I just finished the palace 7 in one day on NG+

Yoshintsune is the GOAT
and the few master coffees I used.

do people hate this dungeon? I found it amazing and I loved the music and the unique mechanics in it.

nOoblet16

It does annoy me that even if there's room for them to walk right by you without altering their pathing, if the path is narrow they'll freak out a little then turn around.
You should swap covers so that you are not in their path but I didn't really have much issues with it. As long as you aren't moving when they are right in front of you they won't freak out. So if there is an L shaped cover then just swap to the side which is away from the enemy and let them pass.

RalchAC

Emperor, Rank 5:

So this is the Passion of the Christ...!

If only the other characters were involved in his silliness, wasted potential.

Yeah, the scene with both characters doing that pose is awesome. Do we know if he
has some autistic traits? He certainly reminds me of an autistic kid I looked after in my scout group.

mileS

Wtf I had my
fortune read
for guts but this movie still only gave me 2 notes as usual. How does that thing work?

I was reading it only gives a bonus to things that give you 1 note (Juice will give you 2 now, same with the bonus from studying at the dinner. Knowledge will remain the same, just the bonus from what you order) It's small but it will add up over time.

Chaos17

I just finished the palace 7 in one day on NG+

Yoshintsune is the GOAT
and the few master coffees I used.

do people hate this dungeons? I found it amazing and I loved the music and the unique mechanics in it.
They were boring and a bit too long to my taste and also they add nothing to the story. Only futaba dungeon was good for me a good mix of puzzle+story and wasn't long.

Pre-palace 7.

Look, there are lots of people here gathering. That police who've been watching us since yesterday is still there too. We'd better go to the metaverse right here, pretty sure no one will notice a group of teenagers disappearing into thin air.

Burbeting

Banned
Only palace I disliked was
the fifth one
. I've liked all the others so far,
even the seventh one, although it was a big endurance run to do in one in-game day.

Pre-palace 7.

Look, there are lots of people here gathering. That police who've been watching us since yesterday is still there too. We'd better go to the metaverse right here, pretty sure no one will notice a group of teenagers disappearing into thin air.

My headcanon is that they walk off somewhere and the game just condenses the event, because their popping into the Metaverse in public all the time is just so dumb.

MTC100

Banned
Whoa there partner. I work a 40 hour week, too, and you'd be absolutely crazy to think that 10 hours/day with Persona is viable.

24 hours in a day total.
9 hours at work (I get an hour for lunch), so we're down to 15 hours for Persona.
2 hours to commute (one hour each way), so we're down to 13 hours for Persona.
1 hour to get ready in the morning, so we're down to 12 hours for Persona.
1 hour to shower and get ready for bed, so we're down to 11 hours for Persona.
6 hours to sleep, so we're down to 5 hours for Persona.

Time management is everything in life and in Persona :)

I have the luxory of getting payed for my breaks so 8 hours are 8 hours(though it's only 30 minutes long as a result) so my calculation stands true still.

Also you forgot the weekend completely, what are you gonna do then? Something unnecessary or playing the best JRPG of modern time?!

5 hours on a work day is fine, that equals 25 hours within 5 days, then you have the weekend where you can put in the 11 hours you wasted with work and actually getting to work and back:

You have 32 hours to play Persona 5 on Saturday and Sunday, see my calculation is even okay for you, 57 hours a week and easily 100 hours within 2 weeks, you just have to try harder!

I usually play for about 4 hours/day since I like to unwind after work by staring into Anderson Cooper's beautiful blue eyes while he tells me all the truths of the world, but. Even if I cut out time with my husbando, that's still only 5 hours to play the game a day. You could maybe push it to 7 if you slept less or had a less terrible commute than I do, but. Jesus Christ. 10/day seems really really pushing it.

10h a day is the average(including the extra time you get on weekends), you have the possibility of playing it 8h a day on average. Being married or even having kids, a dog, a hobby and other stuff surely cuts down that time though. -But honestly that's your problem, you should have thought about getting married before you bought Persona 5!
/s

Most of my time with this game came over the weekend. Of the 48 hours of my weekend, about 20 of them were spent with the game. I'm sure a dedicated person could bump that up to 30+ but. Still. Damn.

32 hours at least, I try to get to get to about 35 hours though! I'll let you in on my secret so you might learn from my time management tricks, a healthy lifestyle is of utmost importance for me:

15 minutes to eat and prepare your 3 meals a day:
I like to prepare a traditional dish called "Brotwasser", the recipe is as follows:
2 slices of dark bread 1 liter of water and a little bit of salt, put it in the blender for a few minutes and you have all the nutrition you need as a gamer, cutting down the time you need to eat(as you don't have to chew it and can chug it down while playing). You can also throw in some vitamin pills into the mix if you are worried about vitamins, or put in some salad or oranges into the blender. I consumed large amounts of this in my prime professional world of warcraft days, it keeps you hydrated and well fed.

My headcanon is that they walk off somewhere and the game just condenses the event, because their popping into the Metaverse in public all the time is just so dumb.

They've been doing that in the second 'hideout' as well before. It's just so dumb and apparent especially after the fact that they're actually smart enough to made that plan for Akechi before the 7th palace. It's just inconsistence.

Chaos17

7th palace
So stupid to have kept the info that X character were related to Shido it could've helped to build up more the main story

7th palace
So stupid to have kept the info that X character were related to Shido it could've helped to build up more the main story

Indeed.
They could've been fleshed out more as certain characters instead of just sub-boss 1 to sub-boss 5. I guess development time did not allowed them to do that.

nOoblet16

Err, might be a dumb question but why is Morgana suddenly taking the first turn when I ambush? How do I swap it back to the main character?
Turn depends on agility stat (you can see it when you view the persona), the persona with highest agility, between your teammates and the enemies, go first then the 2nd highest and so on.

The exception to this is an ambush where your entire team goes first for one turn then it returns to normal or when you get ambushed in which case all the enemies go first.

Morgana is also probably set to auto command at the start of the game, change him to direct commands under options -> stats -> tactics

Chaos17

Indeed.
They could've been fleshed out more as certain characters instead of just sub-boss 1 to sub-boss 5. I guess development time did not allowed them to do that.
I would've agree with you if we didn't have a lot to read but we've so much useless talk that I think these could've skipped so bosses would've been more fleshed out IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom