• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Iceternal

The game gets pretty bad
Palace 7 onwards...

I went from loving the game to just wanting to finish it ASAP.

The battles get too difficult, too tedious and too long near the end.

I am very close to the end
and I lost to the final angel guardian. Making me lose an hour of grinding. I lost it and switched the game to safe mode. I just want to finish it.

Are you supposed to grind the game to death to finish it ?!

I was level 73 and didn't get close to winning the fight.

Or maybe I just suck at the game.

Aselith

The game gets pretty bad
Palace 7 onwards...

and I lost to the final angel guardian. Making me lose an hour of grinding. I lost it and switched the game to safe mode. I just want to finish it.

I didn't grind at all in the game and I played through on hard.

You might wait until a Flu day and go kill the reaper a few times that should boost you a lot.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They should remake P2 in this style (BoF 3-4)

tumblr_ofx4146Hf81u46q4qo1_500.gif

persona-2-innocent-sin-20110923064244943-000.jpg

The Breath of Fire III battle music just started playing in my head

Oh man having every SMT in that style would be amazing.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
11/13 = 'the day everybody hits lvl 99'?...

if you can resist gaming the reaper/flu thing, you've got more willpower than i do :) ...

I don't really blame anyone who doesn't at least use it to hit 89 or so. XP in this one feels particularly scarce, in p4 i was able to level a lot faster naturally playing the game. I remember being in the truth ending at 94 having only really grinded for an hour or two total.

Zafir

well, I was level 71-73 and beat all the end game fights on the first try on normal

Yeah, I was level 71 when I finished the game on normal and didn't have any trouble really. I'll admit I didn't fight many normal enemies by the final section though. I made the mistake of doing
dungeon 7 at the end of the month, and if you do that it means back to back dungeons
which can totally burn you out a bit. I didn't really feel like I was disadvantaged from being lower level, though.

Enemies get a bit, tankier I guess but for me all it meant was I don't hold anything back. In previous dungeons SP management is a big thing, where as it really isn't by the end. At least it wasn't for me, since by that point I had a load of unused items.

daveo42

Banned
The game gets pretty bad
Palace 7 onwards...

A general rule of thumb is to have a decent balance of Physical and Magical attack members on your team with a variety of skills and abilities. As for Persona themselves, make sure you have a wide array of skills, abilities, and resistances at the ready to deal with anything a boss might throw at you. When in doubt, lean towards ones that have Str/Null Physical and/or Str/Null Bless/Curse since those tend to be the ones that can most cheese you mid to late game.

I don't really blame anyone who doesn't at least use it to hit 89 or so. XP in this one feels particularly scarce, in p4 i was able to level a lot faster naturally playing the game. I remember being in the truth ending at 94 having only really grinded for an hour or two total.

same here. maybe this 'mechanic' got tossed in to make up for the difference? :) ...

FHIZ

On average, how many days should it take to secure the route in Palace 7? I did the first day in it and it seemed the enemies were a bit tough, so even with the SP adhesives, I'm going to guess getting through it in one day may be more difficult than the others?

I only ask because I'm currently just trying to get rank 9 of the Star confidant before flu season hits again so I can hit the reaper now and not bother with it in NG+, so I'm burning more days than I normally would with a palace on the docket.

muteki

same here. maybe this 'mechanic' got tossed in to make up for the difference? :) ...

If I end up having a higher level by the end of P4G it would probably be due to going back into dungeons for extra bosses and side quests and gold hands being everywhere.

In contrast I just don't have much desire to go into Mementos until I've got a laundry list of requests to go through.

daveo42

Banned

If anything it's why I suspect the strength rank 10 ability exists lol.

My guess is that Chariot Rank 6
ambush lower level enemies and insta-kill
and the fact that (dungeon mechanic)
Palaces go away after you steal the treasure
play into why it seems like you get less xp. Especially considering that in P4
you could rerun dungeons to defeat optional bosses for rare character weapons

They also added all those Moon abilities to help offset the party level stuff.

If I end up having a higher level by the end of P4G it would probably be due to going back into dungeons for extra bosses and side quests and gold hands being everywhere.

In contrast I just don't have much desire to go into Mementos until I've got a laundry list of requests to go through.

There's no reason to even go to the early levels of Mementos unless you want to collect 10k loot scattered about or to do requests. Even trying to farm treasures aren't really worth it for their spawn rates.

The game gets pretty bad
Palace 7 onwards...

If you're new to SMT/Persona I could see this being an issue. The answer is no, you probably don't need to grind for levels/XP; you probably need to fuse better personas.

The thing newcomers seem to forget to do often is crafting personas that null/repel/drain all the elements (not all on one persona, that's usually impossible, but across several). It's rare that an enemy will be able to OHKO the MC even if they hit your current weakness, so you should have at least one chance to see the attack from the enemy, figure out its attack type (ex. fire, wind, physical, bless, etc.) and then swap to a persona that is immune to that type of attack. Strong against that type of attack will also work in a pinch if needed. Once you've ensured that the MC is pretty safe from harm, it's just a matter of finding attacks that will work against the enemy and whittling them down.

I think pretty much the only thing you can't defend against at all is Life Drain, but that can't OHKO at all (and I'm pretty sure it can't kill you period, only drop you to 1HP?) and very few enemies use it.

If you are not new to the franchise, I apologize for my assumption. I think most of the above advice still applies if you're not following it, but if you already have decent personas then you might need more help, which may in fact mean grinding. Even then, though, I think better personas will help more. If you haven't done so already, see if you can unlock the final Strength confidant ability; this lets you fuse personas above your level for a fee. Higher level personas have a much stronger effect on your stats than just leveling up your character, so if you do decide to grind, I think your priority should be on making money and ranking up Strength confidant, rather than trying to gain XP.

Zesh

The game gets pretty bad
Palace 7 onwards...

73 should definitely be enough to finish the game. What's your general strategy like? Using buffs and debuffs makes a huge difference. Keeping up with fusing personas is also important.

Zafir

On average, how many days should it take to secure the route in Palace 7? I did the first day in it and it seemed the enemies were a bit tough, so even with the SP adhesives, I'm going to guess getting through it in one day may be more difficult than the others?

I only ask because I'm currently just trying to get rank 9 of the Star confidant before flu season hits again so I can hit the reaper now and not bother with it in NG+, so I'm burning more days than I normally would with a palace on the docket.

You do get one or two days where every single confidant is available so I think you'll be fine maxing Star.

I think dungeon 7 is a bit worse for SP management. I did do it in one day, but near the end I did have to use two Master Coffees on two party members due to kind of unexpected fights. That all said it's probably better for your sanity if you do it in two days. It's pretty repetitive due to them overusing a mechanic to the nth degree.

If you're new to SMT/Persona I could see this being an issue. The answer is no, you probably don't need to grind for levels/XP; you probably need to fuse better personas.

The thing newcomers seem to forget to do often is crafting personas that null/repel/drain all the elements (not all on one persona, that's usually impossible, but across several). It's rare that an enemy will be able to OHKO the MC even if they hit your current weakness, so you should have at least one chance to see the attack from the enemy, figure out its attack type (ex. fire, wind, physical, bless, etc.) and then swap to a persona that is immune to that type of attack. Strong against that type of attack will also work in a pinch if needed. Once you've ensured that the MC is pretty safe from harm, it's just a matter of finding attacks that will work against the enemy and whittling them down.

I think pretty much the only thing you can't defend against at all is Life Drain, but that can't OHKO at all (and I'm pretty sure it can't kill you period, only drop you to 1HP?) and very few enemies use it.

If you are not new to the franchise, I apologize for my assumption. I think most of the above advice still applies if you're not following it, but if you already have decent personas then you might need more help, which may in fact mean grinding. Even then, though, I think better personas will help more. If you haven't done so already, see if you can unlock the final Strength confidant ability; this lets you fuse personas above your level for a fee. Higher level personas have a much stronger effect on your stats than just leveling up your character, so if you do decide to grind, I think your priority should be on making money and ranking up Strength confidant, rather than trying to gain XP.

I imagine Strength will be impossible to get up at that point though.

I didn't have Strength up on my first playthrough (completely forgot about the SL to be honest, and didn't realise it's bonuses were so good) and it's still manageable. Personas you can fuse at around the level 70 area still offer some really good stuff, multiple elements being drained/good magic moves/good physical attacks.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

2-3 days should be good. Then 2 days for calling card and boss respectively.

Yeah getting through it in one day is not exactly likely to say the least.

I greatly enjoy the scenes where I introduce Mishima to one of my other friends and we proceed to ally-oop dunk on him.

Savage.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
2-3 days should be good. Then 2 days for calling card and boss respectively.

Yeah getting through it in one day is not exactly likely to say the least.

Savage.
I did Palace 7 in one day on Hard. Wasn't bad at all. However, my average level was 62 and I had every Confidant maxed. On top of that I had a decent amount of high level fusions like trumpeter and kohryuu which get Life Aid, which basically makes the MC have near infinite SP. everyone had SP Bandage 3 as well.

I didn't have Strength up on my first playthrough (completely forgot about the SL to be honest, and didn't realise it's bonuses were so good) and it's still manageable. Personas you can fuse at around the level 70 area still offer some really good stuff, multiple elements being drained/good magic moves/good physical attacks.

Not sure if you can
go back into Mementos at that point
but even if you can't it's probably technically possible. It would probably really suck, though, unless you already had the cash!

But yeah, I agree, you shouldn't need personas above your level to finish that section. I think you get Rangda at level ~50-something and if you manage to get a few elemental null passives on it you'll be damned near impervious to everything.

Is Flu Season really just that brief period in November? I really wanted to do it after beating the
7th
Palace because I didn't want to throw off the balance of the game too early but I'd love to do it before the endgame after I've completed that palace.

Opa-Pa

Is Flu Season really just that brief period in November? I really wanted to do it after beating the
7th
Palace because I didn't want to throw off the balance of the game too early but I'd love to do it before the endgame after I've completed that palace.

I think there's two days of flu season near the end, but I'm not sure if it's that one in November. Either way the last stretch of the game gives lots of exp and the final boss is fairly easy at the level you reach naturally without grinding, even on hard (IMO anyway).

Recall

I really liked Palace 4. Music was relaxing and it didn't go on too long.

Personally it felt like while it wasn't as long as Palace 3, it still wasn't on short side.

Though I guess if the dungeons were shorter there wouldn't be actual much combat in the game, you get your fill then have 5-10 hours of story stuff before the next one.

kiaaa

Personally it felt like while it wasn't as long as Palace 3, it still wasn't on short side.

Though I guess if the dungeons were shorter there wouldn't be actual much combat in the game, you get your fill then have 5-10 hours of story stuff before the next one.

I think the checkpoints at the center staircase broke it up nicely enough that it went smoothly.

Zesh

7th

You can do it after that palace; 12/8 and 12/9 are also flu season days.

Does anyone else use a guide for the questions in class? I swear some of them are such bullshit. Like it'd be one thing if all the questions related to something that happened in the story, just to see if the player was paying attention but they are questions where it's like "where did sayo- in sayonara originate from?" Like how the hell am I supposed to know? I know it's been in p3 and p4. I was just talking to a friend about it and he feels it's cheating kinda. Just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way.

RalchAC

You do get one or two days where every single confidant is available so I think you'll be fine maxing Star.

I think dungeon 7 is a bit worse for SP management. I did do it in one day, but near the end I did have to use two Master Coffees on two party members due to kind of unexpected fights. That all said it's probably better for your sanity if you do it in two days. It's pretty repetitive due to them overusing a mechanic to the nth degree.

He was over level 67 and didn't fuse Black Frost. That's a sin.

Black Frost is the best.

Yoshitsune wishes he was as cool as him.

If there is one problem is that you get him too late into the game. In Persona 4 Golden I could fuse Black Frost at level 4X and I used him until end game. It's the only Persona I kept using way after I overleveled it.

I love Black Frost.

Black Frost is the true best Persona.

Lunar15

I'm in october right now and the drama's really heating up. The game hits you over the head with plot, pointing out the same things over and over again... that said, I really like how the cast is dealing with it. Ryuji, in particular, has had some good moments here. The cast is gelling right now and, while they're overall less quirky than P4's group, I like seeing them each take their own initative in dealing with the overall issue.

Also, I really like this game's take on social media. It feels familiar to all the pandemonium leading up to last year's election. It's a brilliant continuation of P1 & 2's themes surrounding rumors and the collective subconscious having an effect on the world.

I think there's two days of flu season near the end, but I'm not sure if it's that one in November. Either way the last stretch of the game gives lots of exp and the final boss is fairly easy at the level you reach naturally without grinding, even on hard (IMO anyway).

Would you recommend against it? Even to make the acquisition of late game Persona's easier? And to have more options with my team's Personas? I guess I really don't like the aspect of Persona where you can't really clean up shop in the end like other RPGs. I would love to have an appropriate challenge should I choose to level to 99 and fuse a bunch of crazy Personas. Doesn't sound like that's a thing this time around.

OrionX

Welp, I made it to late November. Having lots of thoughts about a certain character, but I think I'll push through to the end first to get the full picture. Can't say I'm shocked, but I gotta say
Robbie Daymond is doing an excellent job as Goro. The change in his voice gave me chills. Also, I legit thought I fucked up somehow and got the bad ending at first.

Loved the
pancake
twist. Made me feel really dumb for not noticing though. lol

Top Bottom