• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

arue

Well I guess that proverbial cat is out of the bag as it were. That grimdark Persona 5 trailer was a group effort on the part of Trueself, Pan-hime, Armada, a fellow editor of mine from RelyOnHorror, and myself.

Here's (briefly) how it went down:

Oh god I knew something was up when I saw P5 trailer on April Fool's day. Congrats Levito, Trueself, Pan, and Armada for making it to other websites!

I noticed some End of Evangelion from the trailer, but that 3DS really did it for me.

That trailer also convinced me to watch Elfen Lied and Wolf Children :p

Is...Is this real news? It's not an April Fool's joke right?? Please tell me it's not a joke!

Lemstar

Is...Is this real news? It's not an April Fool's joke right?? Please tell me it's not a joke!
It's probably not, but it also shouldn't be taken as a guarantee of release, and it definitely shouldn't be taken as a guarantee of imminent release.

arue

Yeah. Suikoden II got an ESRB rating a few years ago.

Still waiting. ._.

Suikoden II did? I remember playing that game when I was 9 -- I still do now every year.

What's the point of putting ESRB rating if the game won't be released then? :(

Finger crossed that P4 won't be like Suikoden II.

Tiu Neo

Suikoden II did? I remember playing that game when I was 9 -- I still do now every year.

What's the point of putting ESRB rating if the game won't be released then? :(

Finger crossed that P4 won't be like Suikoden II.

I do that too! But I'm afraid of scratching my copy, so a digital version would be welcome.

And I hope so. Konami doesn't give a fuck, Atlus does.

Squire

Banned
April Fool's Day always paints the marks and rubes red.

We made it on Kotaku

We made it in the "best of April fools" section.

Fantastic. I figured one of the big sites would pick it up.

Man, I might get that just to play
the lesser version of
the game on my TV.

A birdy told me that the Atlus USA staff really dug a certain trailer.

Even better.

I own wolf children, but haven't seen it yet. Dunno if I will now. :p

Watch it. Amazing film.

Windam

Scaley member
I've finished my Psych final and only have one more to go (next Friday), along with an essay due next Thursday. Know what that means? I can spend the rest of the week playing P4G! AWWWWWW YEEEEEEAH! YUKIKO MY QUEEN, I'M COMING!

Gazoinks

Who's generally considered a better artist among the Persona community? Soejima or Kaneko?

I consider them better at different things. I like Soejima for making distinctive characters who still look like people you could see on the street, whereas Kaneko's better at more alien or outlandish designs (and monsters).

Sophia

I'm not surprised you made it onto Kotaku's list. Jason Scheier was linked to the trailer pretty quickly after it came up.

Caladrius

That trailer would have been much funnier if I had watched more anime. Good work though.

Also I like Soejima's people and Kaneko's monsters.

So no one is best.

SO! Not a Disappointment week (also known as Yosuke week) is now at a close. Some really good stuff by everyone again ranging from downright badass to freaking funny!

ART DUMP ACTIVATE!

LX_Theo - Help! Somebody!
EEFQ8wb.jpg

Reanimatoin - I'll Face Myself

Smedwicks - Splendid Headwear Good Sir

The True Self - Man, I'm Super Cool!

Jintor - Cap'n Ressentiment

Arue - Let's Go, Partner!

Setsu00 - It's Showtime!

Vox Chaotica - I love you Saki!!

TurnipFritters - Clean Up in Aisle 3.

OK, so since today is April 1st, I suggest the next week be........

FOOL WEEK! Personas, Characters, Arcana card, whatever you associate with the Fool Arcana. Lets see what PersonaGAF comes up with this week.

ps. Buddha is still the runner for this week, I'm just doing the post this week as a favor.

Levito

Banned
The funniest part of the trailer for me was seeing Wolf Children used in so creepy a way, haha.

Amazing how a black and white filter and a chilling song can make a heartwarming film seem like a horror movie, eh? haha

Really wish I could watch the trailer, but I'll have to wait till work's over.

How are people taking it?

Vast majority of people seem to be getting the joke. Of course there's some nerd tears of course, Youtube comments has a few heroes that thing they've cracked the code to reveal it's a fake trailer. It's like, whoa shocker a trailer full of exploding heads isn't a legit Persona game, these folks should be on True Detective with that insight. :p

We made it on Kotaku

We made it in the "best of April fools" section.

Made it on Destructoid's best of April Fool's list.

I like Kaneko better for demons/Persona designs, and Soejima for character designs.

Perfect! The sneakiness of the deployment and the desperation for P5 news lets the viral really take effect.

Yeah, EO games still have specific NPCs filling important roles to the cast without fighting, and considering that's what the velvet rooms peeps did in the Persona games, I just figured that that was going to be their role here.

So Elizabeth will run the place where you can rest/heal yourself, Theo will be your blacksmith, Margaret will run the missions/sidequests(though Elizabeth SHOULD be the one in this role), and who knows about Marie.

Standing in the corner, desperate to be relevant to the goings-on as per usual.

FluxWaveZ

I just realized there's basically no chance we go past TGS without seeing P5. That's comforting.

How comes? As far as I know, Atlus doesn't usually have their own booth at TGS.

Might be different this time, though, seeing as how they're in the Sega family.

Squire

Banned
How comes? As far as I know, Atlus doesn't usually have their own booth at TGS.

Might be different this time, though, seeing as how they're in the Sega family.

They always go and put stuff in the Sega booth. That was part of their relationship pre-buyout. If the game is releasing there in the winter I don't see how they can go through TGS with no trailer/screens to speak of.

FluxWaveZ

They always go and put stuff in the Sega booth. That was part of their relationship pre-buyout. If the game is releasing there in the winter I don't see how they can go through TGS with no trailer/screens to speak of.

Yeah, reading the 2013 TGS Siliconera article, apparently Sega was helping with the distribution of their games so sometimes they would share a booth? Well, I suppose I'd expect it to be at what seems to be the biggest gaming show of the year in Japan, but TGS is always a weird thing. They could just bring P4D or something and be done with it.

Omikaru

I still think we'll see Persona 5 long before TGS. After Persona Q is out, but well before TGS.

Whether it's actually at TGS? Eh, I dunno. Probably in some form, even if they just show a trailer.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, reading the 2013 TGS Siliconera article, apparently Sega was helping with the distribution of their games so sometimes they would share a booth? Well, I suppose I'd expect it to be at what seems to be the biggest gaming show of the year in Japan, but TGS is always a weird thing. They could just bring P4D or something and be done with it.

Yeah, exactly. In the west Square does the same thing for Deep Silver. They distribute their games and when you go to a con of trade show they have them on display in their booth as well.

TGS has been weird, yeah. Atlus has their act together though. They're not trying to force some unwanted mobile initiative or anything, so I expect it'll be a predictable show for them. Just show all the Persona stuff.

I still think we'll see Persona 5 long before TGS. After Persona Q is out, but well before TGS.

Whether it's actually at TGS? Eh, I dunno. Probably in some form, even if they just show a trailer.

I think it'll be before then, too. I think TGS is the latest they can reasonably wait unless the game is delayed. They have to start promoting the game eventually.

arue

SO! Not a Disappointment week (also known as Yosuke week) is now at a close. Some really good stuff by everyone again ranging from downright badass to freaking funny!

FOOL WEEK! Personas, Characters, Arcana card, whatever you associate with the Fool Arcana. Lets see what PersonaGAF comes up with this week.

ps. Buddha is still the runner for this week, I'm just doing the post this week as a favor.

Too bad Dantis didn't draw one. I really wanted to see a badass Yosuke in his style :p
Yours is pretty good too, Reanimatoin!

I think I know who I'll be drawing for Fool Week. It's definitely not P3MC.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think there's any way that we don't see a new trailer or something significant for P5 before the end of July. I just can't see the actual promotion cycle for Persona 5 being shorter than Persona 3 and Persona 4, especially when they've been getting longer for their more recent games.

Hashino did say we'd hear more about it at the beginning of 2014, though that could mean anything. I'll just say May. Week of May 5th? 5/5, you know.

Omikaru

Well, assuming "Winter 2014" actually goes into 2015 too (Dec/Jan/Feb?), TGS is probably the latest they can reveal it if they're planning on releasing it at the latest, and in my view that's probably cutting it fine.

I still think we should look at their past releases and how they were promoted to get an idea of how they will handle P5, but it's not going to be identical. With that in mind I still think we will see P5 for the first time closer to its release than further away.

FluxWaveZ

Well, assuming "Winter 2014" actually goes into 2015 too (Dec/Jan/Feb?), TGS is probably the latest they can reveal it if they're planning on releasing it at the latest, and in my view that's probably cutting it fine.

I still think we should look at their past releases and how they were promoted to get an idea of how they will handle P5, but it's not going to be identical. With that in mind I still think we will see P5 for the first time closer to its release than further away.

I really doubt "Winter 2014" means it would overlap into 2015. I think I remember people hoping that "Winter 2014" meant December 2013 until March 2014. It's too confusing; I'm sure 2014 means 2014.

And I don't know about looking at how they promoted their past releases as a reference point to how they will handle P5. I keep note of a lot of meaningless data about this stuff and P5 is just too big an anomaly to compare it like that. For one, they've never released an announcement trailer (that I'm aware of) that essentially showed nothing of the game before except for a concept image.

Edit: So essentially like you said, it's not going to be identical (or necessarily similar, either).

Squire

Banned
I don't think there's any way that we don't see a new trailer or something significant for P5 before the end of July. I just can't see the actual promotion cycle for Persona 5 being shorter than Persona 3 and Persona 4, especially when they've been getting longer for their more recent games.

Hashino did say we'd hear more about it at the beginning of 2014, though that could mean anything. I'll just say May. Week of May 5th? 5/5, you know.

My dad's birthday, too.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm on the same page as you, but I also agree with Omi; If it turns out "winter" means February? Then yeah, TGS is cutting it just fine.

Omikaru

I don't think they had much choice but to announce it back last November. In my view, I feel an announcement is rushed if no gameplay is shown, and that's exactly what P5's announcement seemed to be. For all intents and purposes, if we hadn't been waiting so long for P5's announcement, I doubt the game would've been announced in the manner that it had been. With that in mind, I think the manner of P5's announcement is largely irrelevant.

I'm pretty much basing when I think shit will go down by when they first show us gameplay, as I think that's when we're getting the proper P5 announcement, rather than the bare minimum we got last November that was just there to placate an audience desperate for news on it.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think they had much choice but to announce it back last November. In my view, I feel an announcement is rushed if no gameplay is shown, and that's exactly what P5's announcement was.

Maybe, though I really think it was more of a PQ/P4AU/P4D event, but then someone said "everyone will scream at us if we don't show Persona 5" so then someone else replied with "show them those chairs Soejima drew."

Also think it wasn't insignificant that the event was held on exactly the same day as Atlus' 24th anniversary, since they were making a big deal about this year being their 25th.

rather than the bare minimum we got last November that was just there to placate an audience desperate for news on it.

Essentially, that's what I think happened too.

Too bad Dantis didn't draw one. I really wanted to see a badass Yosuke in his style :p
Yours is pretty good too, Reanimatoin!

I think I know who I'll be drawing for Fool Week. It's definitely not P3MC.

Cheers mate. I was actually quite pleased with it myself.
Also, Yosuke in the summer outfit is his best outfit IMO, great job with yours.

Top Bottom