• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

kewlmyc

The whole announcement felt as if they were expecting a trailer to show, but they couldn't get it. I'm most likely wrong though.

Weiss

Banned
I wouldn't make that assumption at all. Atlus shows when they want to show.

The game was announced over a year ago and since then we've only gotten one reveal to tell us it was coming to PS4 and a short anime clip. We still know nothing about the gameplay, characters, setting, or the plot.

LX_Theo

Banned
The game was announced over a year ago and since then we've only gotten one reveal to tell us it was coming to PS4 and a short anime clip. We still know nothing about the gameplay, characters, setting, or the plot.

Perfect reason to say your assessment is premature.

FluxWaveZ

When did we start to see real gameplay for P3 and P4 in relation to its original release again?

Extremely different circumstances with both of those games compared to Persona 5. 15 minutes of footage were available for both Persona 3 and Persona 4 upon their announcement.

Persona 5 is a significant outlier in regards to Atlus' m.o. in several ways. It's not comparable to previous entries in that way.

Setsu00

I'm currently trying to figure out whether SE's announcement just now was a bigger troll than the lady from last year's Persona live stream or not.

Oh well, I'm glad I played PQ instead.

Busaiku

Extremely different circumstances with both of those games compared to Persona 5. 15 minutes of footage were available for both Persona 3 and Persona 4 upon their announcement.

Persona 5 is a significant outlier in regards to Atlus' m.o. in several ways. It's not comparable to previous entries in that way.

What's significantly different about Persona 5?
I doubt P Studio is doing the PS4 game themselves.

So I'm playing P4 for the first time now that I got a memory card, but I'm having a little trouble in Yukiko's castle. I managed to beat the Avenger Knight, but I'm really low on health and items. Should I just muscle on through and avoid enemies or book it out of there and continue through the dungeon on the next day?

Setsu00

P5 was announced during a livestream, P3 and P4 sort of just popped up in Famitsu. Also, the latter two released within mere months after their initial announcement while P5 is nowhere to be seen even one year later.

FluxWaveZ

Development surrounded by company troubles (Index dissolution, SEGA acquirement...); set for release 7 years after its predecessor (so similar to P2:EP -> P3); surrounded by spin-off titles of P3/P4, one of which was delayed due to development issues; announced during an independently held event instead of a gaming magazine, accompanied with no gameplay whatsoever and little of substance; a year later and still no footage of gameplay; the release date for Persona 5 is not a few months after its announcement like it was for P3 and P4, etc.

There is a lot that differentiates it from its predecessors.

You know, while playing through P3 I ignored Fuuka most of the times since she had an annoying voice, didn't like her design that much and I didn't found her friendship with Natsuki that good.

Ironically, (PQ second labyrinth spoilers)
I ended up getting her as my destined partner, huh. After going through the scenes with her, it somehow made me like her and stop ignoring her character.
Plus her voice now is beautiful. <3 I shall return to P3 sometime later and do her Social Link.

I feel in some way sorry for ATLUS USA, and what they're probably gonna have to deal with during the PlayStation Experience, in being bombarded in some level with questions from either press or fans as to why there wasn't any new footage of P5 or even P4D for that matter. I dunno, that announcement felt in some ways really underwhelming and in some ways really annoying as to why they even had the announcement there in the first place.

Busaiku

Ah, thought you meant the development process itself, rather than the marketing.
Though some things are definitely tied to that.

I feel in some way sorry for ATLUS USA, and what they're probably gonna have to deal with during the PlayStation Experience, in being bombarded in some level with questions from either press or fans as to why there wasn't any new footage of P5 or even P4D for that matter. I dunno, that announcement felt in some ways really underwhelming and in some ways really annoying as to why they even had the announcement there in the first place.

Not to mention why they have their own booth.

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, I don't feel bad for them. Altus USA is used to not being able to say much before Japan does, and this actually gives them more exposure than they used to get. It really seems they're starting to get a push from Sony themselves. I mean, even Persona 4 Golden wasn't pushed in Sony press conferences that I remember. They were always seen as niche.

MSMrRound

Just got this through the Atlus Faithful mail:

CbX67LO.jpg

Rehashed Sony pre-TGS conference trailer though. Wished AtlusUSA might have given us their own spin on things if they were able to. (E.g new reports in train carriage on bullying/social problem still in Japanese..wasn't translated)

The initial post-Nov 24 livestream English trailers confirming the localization of the titles were heavily borrowed from Japanese sources too=/

Sophia

I kinda feel sorry for Atlus USA. It's obviously not their fault they have nothing to show, but they're the ones who will be fielding (most likely angry) questions for this entire event.. :\

I really wish nothing had been said honestly. Or at least only been mentioned during the third party section.. Cause making it seem like an independent presentation for P5 really bummed we out when they shoved it off to the side so abruptly :/

Tamanon

Banned
Meh, getting the brand name in front of more eyes is always welcome. And it gets the opportunity to not go down as the most hated JRPG mention at the show!

Basically, I think it was a net positive for Atlus, and net Neutral for existing Persona fans.

Sophia

Meh, getting the brand name in front of more eyes is always welcome. And it gets the opportunity to not go down as the most hated JRPG mention at the show!

Basically, I think it was a net positive for Atlus, and net Neutral for existing Persona fans.

Well the real problem with this is that this event is primarily going to appeal to the most hardcore fans first, followed by the semi-hardcore second. It just doesn't seem like good brand exposure when everyone in the audience already knows what it is.

If we're using your logic, I think Yakuza 5 benefited far more from it. >_>;

Tamanon

Banned
I'd agree Yakuza 5 benefited more. That doesn't mean there was no benefit:p

Either way, game info will get here when it does. There's always another Tuesday after all!

FluxWaveZ

What the event gave was exactly what I was expecting: an Atlus USA version of the SCEJ Persona 5 trailer as well as a re-confirmation of the 2015 release date. Though, I was not anticipating how the P5 mention was given during the stage show (that was some deceptive stuff).

Sounds like February 5th is the next stop, yeah.

Twenty five days remain. Just sayin'.

Nothing happens then except for New Years?

I'm not saying anything is going to happen. I'm saying we won't see anything until next year at the earliest.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that's most likely right.

Dantis

What the event gave was exactly what I was expecting: an Atlus USA version of the SCEJ Persona 5 trailer as well as a re-confirmation of the 2015 release date. Though, I was not anticipating how the P5 mention was given during the stage show (that was some deceptive stuff).

Sounds like February 5th is the next stop, yeah.

Nothing happens then except for New Years?

I'm not saying anything is going to happen. I'm saying we won't see anything until the beginning of next year at the earliest.

What happens on February 5th?

Dantis

Persona Super Live 2015. It's obvious that it's associated with Persona 5, though, of course, none of us knows what that entails or if it'll be significant.

If there's anything P5 in Super Live, then I think we'll hear something P5-related before Super Live.

FluxWaveZ

If there's anything P5 in Super Live, then I think we'll hear something P5-related before Super Live.

Well, we still need an unveiling of the concert's logo and key visual, so maybe there'll be a hint of P5 in there, but something in December or January? Eh, I dunno. Shit's gotten too unpredictable.

If we want to be (irrationally) anticipating a date for potential Persona 5 news, there's Jump Festa 2015 starting on December 20th, but Atlus doesn't attend that show.

Busaiku

I dunno why they had to use the Investigation Team before the end of the case for Persona Q.
Obviously for SEES, they couldn't really do any other time, but they had a lot of leeway for Persona 4.

At least Teddie could've been better for it.

Sophia

It's funny that it still has persona5.jp in there.

That trailer was fully animated. Atlus USA probably didn't have the time or means to edit it and make it look good.

Actually, the hastiness of the trailer makes me wonder if something else was intended but got canned at the last second. It just seems so out of place.

FluxWaveZ

Actually, the hastiness of the trailer makes me wonder if something else was intended but got canned at the last second. It just seems so out of place.

Yeah, kewlmyc mentioned something to that effect, as well:

The whole announcement felt as if they were expecting a trailer to show, but they couldn't get it. I'm most likely wrong though.

Seeing how the only two, magnificent stand outs in terms of psych outs during the conference were Persona 5 and FFVII, it might be likely. That insanely quick transition from P5 to the next thing after that build-up, only to announce extremely little, was definitely weird. Something that was supposed to take its place is a possibility.

Sophia

Yeah, kewlmyc mentioned something to that effect, as well:

Seeing how the only two, magnificent stand outs in terms of psych outs during the conference were Persona 5 and FFVII, it might be likely. That insanely quick transition from P5 to the next thing after that build-up, only to announce extremely little, was definitely weird. Something that was supposed to take its place is a possibility.

Well. We know Atlus USA doesn't usually halfass stuff like that. The P5 Teaser trailer (when it was officially announced for NA on PS3) was fully translated and localized. But this just seems to have had an ESRB logo slapped onto a lower quality version of the trailer at the last second.

It's extremely weird. And extremely frustrating.... probably for both us and the folks at Atlus USA. :(

PK Gaming

A short story born out of frustration at Troy Baker being too busy to voice Kanji these days:

http://kenpire.wordpress.com/2014/12/06/troy-bakers-nightmare-a-voice-actor-shortstory/

Enjoy.

This is equal parts terrifying, equal parts surreal, equal parts hilarious, equal parts mean--spirited, and equal parts amazing.

When he looks into the mirror, the face he sees appears fine. No blemishes, no cuts, no wounds, and worst of all, it looks to be in peace. Happy almost. The face he is looking at isn&#8217;t his though, what he sees in its stead chills him to his core. What Troy Baker sees staring back at him as he looks into the mirror is the face of Private Jack Mitchell, the protagonist of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Troy Baker tries to scream, but no sounds come out.

Ahahahaha

I'm currently trying to figure out whether SE's announcement just now was a bigger troll than the lady from last year's Persona live stream or not.

Oh well, I'm glad I played PQ instead.

errrr I know the Persona stream was a massive troll but the FF7 remake thing is on another level and you know it.

One of the greatest rpg's of all time, one of the best selling jrpgs of all time, a gaming classic, thats been requested to be remade for nearly 10 years leads to Hashimoto coming to the stage on Playstation's 20th anniversary declaring that the PS1 game will be coming to PS4, 17 years later, 3 generations later........in the form of a HD PS1 release.

SE are on another level.

Speaking about Persona 5 I am really disappointed. It feels like they wanted to share a new trailer by Atlus JP was just not ready. I mean we have come to the point where Persona games are being talked openly in conferences. I'm actually kind of worried a bit now. Its been over 1 year and we have had no gameplay though the solid 2015 release date does make it better.

Setsu00

errrr I know the Perosna stream was a massive troll but the FF7 remake thing is on another level and you know it.

One of the greatest rpg's of all time, one of the best selling jrpgs of all time, a gaming classic thats been requested to be remade for nearly 10 years leads to Hashimoto coming to the stage on Playstation's 20th anniversary declaring that the PS1 game will be coming to PS4, 17 years later, 3 generations later........in the form of a HD PS1 release.

SE are on another level.

I guess you're right. I mean, Atlus did unveil Persona 5 that day while SE was just... SE.

King Fost

Neo Member
errrr I know the Persona stream was a massive troll but the FF7 remake thing is on another level and you know it.

One of the greatest rpg's of all time, one of the best selling jrpgs of all time, a gaming classic, thats been requested to be remade for nearly 10 years leads to Hashimoto coming to the stage on Playstation's 20th anniversary declaring that the PS1 game will be coming to PS4, 17 years later, 3 generations later........in the form of a HD PS1 release.

SE are on another level.

Speaking about Persona 5 I am really disappointed. It feels like they wanted to share a new trailer by Atlus JP was just not ready. I mean we have come to the point where Persona games are being talked openly in conferences. I'm actually kind of worried a bit now. Its been over 1 year and we have had no gameplay though the solid 2015 release date does make it better.

I'm actually pleased by the Square Enix troll move. Do you know what they'd do if they remade it? They'd probably insert the Complication crap and change the good parts of the story and fuck it up in some way. Also they'd put the Wall Market sequence in high-definition; I'd fear for everyone's sanity for that part. At least a port is harmless to the game's mythology.

Also be patient for P5 guys, it'll come out when it comes out. I always hate it when people bitch about release dates or whatever, it just comes across as entitled to me, idk why.

Btw, I'm thinking about getting a PSP soon and a PS3 when Persona 5 comes out. How much do those go for nowadays?

Top Bottom