• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Tamanon

Banned
LOL at the headline of the interview.

Great interview. I liked that it delved more into the characters and their relationships. It definitely sounds like Morgana is going to have a much different personality than Teddie, which is good.

Lunar15

Reading the bit on Anne, it seems it clears up some of the discussion we had a while ago. I can't remember who it was, but some people were worried that it didn't make sense that Anne would be considered an outcast when she has more american features. Hashino's bit about Anne being someone people are attracted to, but emotionally distant from makes a lot of sense in this respect.

Reading the bit on Anne, it seems it clears up some of the discussion we had a while ago. I can't remember who it was, but some people were worried that it didn't make sense that Anne would be considered an outcast when she has more american features. Hashino's bit about Anne being someone people are attracted to, but emotionally distant from makes a lot of sense in this respect.

So she's considered 'exotic', but not approachable.
Would it be a stretch to say that she's considered a sex object by most?

daevious

Not that much of a stretch when you consider that her Persona is named Carmen and that its design exudes sexuality. It makes me super curious to know how this plays out in game, because Ann could very easily become a terrible character if the sexual element isn't handled carefully.

DNAbro

2nd/3rd trailer spoilers I guess.
It seemed like she had a stalker looking person following her. Feel like that is going to be very important to her story.

Lunar15

I'm not sure it explicitly means sexual attraction, but exotic seems to be the key idea. Here's some conjecture:

Going by what we've seen, her whole thing is going to revolve around a stalker. So, I assume the idea is that she attracts unwanted attention which is her immediate problem, while her larger problem that you'll help solve through social links is that she feels alone and can't find a real relationship with anyone because her "exotic nature" also makes her intimidating to other people.

FluxWaveZ

while her larger problem that you'll help solve through social links is that she feels alone and can't find a real relationship with anyone because her "exotic nature" also makes her intimidating to other people.

You know, I don't think Social Links will work like that in Persona 5, and I think that kind of character resolution will be intrinsically tied to the plot like Persona 3 instead of being relegated to side stories like in Persona 4.

The key is that they're seemingly called "Cooperation" now. That's a key distinction that was made for a reason.

Lunar15

You know, I don't think Social Links will work like that in Persona 5, and I think that kind of character resolution will be intrinsically tied to the plot like Persona 3 instead of being relegated to side stories like in Persona 4.

The key is that they're seemingly called "Cooperation" now. That's a key distinction that was made for a reason.

Social links or main story isn't really the point, it's moreso just that it's the conflict that defines her well past her initial reasoning to join.

That said, I'm not sure how to expect social links to work. We may be looking into cooperation a bit too deeply. It could be just like we've come to expect and cooperation is the same way of saying "loyalty mission". Social links are pretty core to the series, and I think the social links with your team members are a big reason for P4's success.

But I've got nothing, really. We'll just have to see how it shakes out. I'm rooting for a change of pace myself.

That was me. I cried like a baby after finishing P3P ;-;

Edit:
Oh and I also read the full interview. It's neat that we actually get some new info from a Western magazine! (P5 Article spoiler?)
It's also interesting that Morgana's gender is unknown.

I was that cranky picture of Labrys. :p

Also
who knows if Morgana even has one?

PK Gaming

<---

Reading that interview english definitely cleared things up immensely, and revealed a few more intriguing things about the characters as well (I for one am excited at how Yusuke being an oddball plays out)

Good stuff Hardin, getting that interview was definitely worth the effort.

FluxWaveZ

I feel like they're setting up for some kind of subversion regarding Morgana with those interview hints. There are too many similarities to Teddie, although I think their personalities already seem different enough.

Oh yeah, I just realized they didn't address the possibility that he/she can apparently
transform into a variety of forms.

Sophia

I feel like they're setting up for some kind of subversion regarding Morgana with those interview hints. There are too many similarities to Teddie, although I think their personalities already seem different enough.

Oh yeah, I just realized they didn't address the possibility that he/she can apparently
transform into a variety of forms.

I think the fact that they're going to subvert Teddie is immediately obvious, actually. It's just a matter of to what degree.

Speculation:
The namesake makes me think Morgana is a being akin to gods and shadows. In many stories, Morgan le Fay is often an antagonist to King Arthur. At the same time, other stories portray her as a benefactor of some sorts to the heroes

Dantis

If Morgana is revealed to be a god/goddess who is tied to mankind's desires I'm going to smash my disc in half.

EDIT: I see we had similar thoughts, Sophia. Lol.

If Morgana is revealed to be a god/goddess who is tied to mankind's desires I'm going to smash my disc in half.

It might not be Morgana, but something along those lines will happen.

It's a Persona game, it's pretty much guaranteed at this point.

I really hope I'm wrong

Sophia

Full series spoilers ahead, Persona 5 speculation included. Proceed with caution ye would read under the spoiler tags.

Godlike beings in the Persona series, one very noticeable exception aside, tend to reflect humanity in general.
We've had all sorts of manner of supernatural beings that have represented humanity. Nyarlathotep infamously represented humanity's chaotic and destructive aspects. Philemon seems to be his opposite, representing the idealistic and helpful side of humanity. Erebus represented humanity's desire for death. Izanagi and Izanami represented truth and lies of humanity in general. And of course in the spin-off titles we had Chronos and the Clockwork God representing time as well as Hinokagatsuchi representing isolation. Chronos was kind of unique in that he was not actively hostile towards the party, and outright aided them at points. But all of these godlike beings share a common trait: They do not represent humanity as a whole, and their understanding of humanity as a whole seems to be fundamentally flawed at times.

Then we have the one exception that REALLY deserves being mentioned:
Nyx. Unlike the other beings above, Nyx is a truly alien lifeform. She's not natural to the planet, and she's apparently not a creation of the collective unconsciousness. And if the side materials + implications in Persona 3 are any case, she may very well be responsible for that collective unconsciousness. She also can be influenced by humanity's nature to some degree, as evident by the fact that Erebus, a being born from humanity's desire for death, was able to nearly end the world.

I'm starting to wonder about Morgana. Specifically, given the comments they've made about her being closer to the protagonist than usual, and combined with the fact that I don't think they're going to repeat plot points from Persona 4, that she might be a being closer to Nyx. Something outside of this world that doesn't directly reflect humanity. What that could be I couldn't even fathom a guess until the game comes out or we get more spoilerific details. Heck, she might even be something close to Philemon; a godlike being that's actively helping humanity indirectly.

EDIT:
An alternative idea that came to mind is: What if Morgana is the protagonist's shadow that gained life like Teddie?

It might not be Morgana, but something along those lines will happen.

It's a Persona game, it's pretty much guaranteed at this point.

I really hope I'm wrong

It's actually not quite so guaranteed, especially if they're trying to avoid ideas from previous Persona games.

It's actually not quite so guaranteed, especially if they're trying to avoid ideas from previous Persona games.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

I think the spinoffs, even though I enjoyed them, left a sour taste in my mouth.

But then, none of the spinoffs were helmed by Hashino, and I trust that guy to do good.

Lunar15

We already know that Morgana is different than teddie for multiple, clearly obvious reasons:

She lives with the protagonist
Whether for good or evil, she's using the protagonist for her own aims. Teddie was never about this, beyond finding out more about himself.

Aside from being non-humanoid and more knowledgeable about the "other world" than the main character, there doesn't seem to be that much similar.

Also, you're all just going to have to come to grips with this series being about gods representing an aspect of humanity. It's core to the ideas that they're setting up: Supernatural events that relate to the collective subconscious. SMT, even in its most far flung spinoffs, is about mythological beings meshing with modern society and representing different aspects of humanity.

FluxWaveZ

Aside from being non-humanoid and more knowledgeable about the "other world" than the main character, there doesn't seem to be that much similar.

I disagree.

1. Teddie had an unknown gender when he was first encountered (though I think the cast took him to be male because of his behavior?). Morgana also has an unknown gender.
2. Morgana is likely from Palace, just like Teddie is from the TV World.
3. Morgana has no knowledge of his/her origins, and his/her quest involves finding out his/her identity. The same with Teddie.
4. P4 departed from this early on, but Teddie acted as the team's guide for the supernatural in the beginning, which is Morgana's role.
5. They are both "mascot" type characters, however Hashino addresses in this interview that Morgana's role isn't superficial like that.

Morgana and Teddie have their differences so far, but they have a lot more similarities.

84X

Banned
To me Morgana almost seems just like a comforting force to ease P4 players (and P3 to an extent) into the new setting and characters. So much about him/her follows the same design principles of Teddie and some of what we've seen seems to suggest the game mirrors the basics of P4's beginning. I mean, I trust Hashino to make Morgana a unique character but I think they'll purposely present him/her as "new Teddie" to start.

FluxWaveZ

Also, if someone is interested in seeing how accurately P5 portrays Shibuya, here you go.
- P5 version
- Real life (Taken from Twitter)
CAyRb2LUwAAG7by.jpg:orig
B9PV0ONCMAAjc2F.jpg:orig

Play this on a loop for an entire week and you have me

I'm not sure it explicitly means sexual attraction, but exotic seems to be the key idea. Here's some conjecture:

Going by what we've seen, her whole thing is going to revolve around a stalker. So, I assume the idea is that she attracts unwanted attention which is her immediate problem, while her larger problem that you'll help solve through social links is that she feels alone and can't find a real relationship with anyone because her "exotic nature" also makes her intimidating to other people.

I might really like Anne then if this happens and is well done

Nachos

There was a neat post on the r/megaten about Morgana. Don't know how relevant it could be but it seems to provide some insight to her character. Or it could just be some obscure reference. Obviously read at your own discretion.
Yeah, Soriku mentioned that back when trailer 2 got leaked. Though one of the quotes does make me wonder about how Morgana's character'll develop, especially with the third similarity between her and Ted that Flux mentioned:

Wagahai said:
I am a cat. As yet I have no name. I’ve no idea where I was born.

I know Japanese media loves referencing the book a lot, but I'd have to imagine that there's a bigger parallel between the Wagahai and Morgana, instead of a surface-level reference that persists through the entire game.

I think the fact that they're going to subvert Teddie is immediately obvious, actually. It's just a matter of to what degree.

Speculation:
The namesake makes me think Morgana is a being akin to gods and shadows. In many stories, Morgan le Fay is often an antagonist to King Arthur. At the same time, other stories portray her as a benefactor of some sorts to the heroes
Not to mention that depending on the Arthurian story, Morgan le Fay and Fortuna are one in the same.

Soriku

Yeah, Soriku mentioned that back when trailer 2 got leaked. Though one of the quotes does make me wonder about how Morgana's character'll develop, especially with the third similarity between her and Ted that Flux mentioned:[/spoiler]

I did? lol.

FluxWaveZ

But that would mean we would have to wait 6 to 9 more years for Persona 6 to come out.

I'm not saying it was adjusted due to its release date; I mean that considering when and where Catherine is set, combined with the posters regarding what might be space tourism, it could always have been when Persona 5 took place. Wouldn't say that has any implication for the date of a future Persona game.

84X

Banned
For what it's worth I can't see P5 taking place anytime besides 2016.

Maybe I should know better than to think P-studio will conform to expectations, especially for something as trivial as a date, but I just can't see it otherwise....

Then again there's that one overtly sci-fi dungeon.

arue

I'm not saying it was adjusted due to its release date; I mean that considering when and where Catherine is set, combined with the posters regarding what might be space tourism, it could always have been when Persona 5 took place. Wouldn't say that has any implication for the date of a future Persona game.
I was just referencing to how Persona games are usually set on the same year or a few years after its release. P5 can take place in 2022, but if they were to keep the pattern of in-game year = game release year + n, that would mean we'd have to wait until at least 2022 for Persona 6 to come out.

Also I was just half joking there :x

FluxWaveZ

I was just referencing to how Persona games are usually set on the same year or a few years after its release. P5 can take place in 2022, but if they were to keep the pattern of in-game year = game release year + n, that would mean we'd have to wait until at least 2022 for Persona 6 to come out.

Also I was just half joking there :x

Ha, yeah, I know. I was just playing it straight: I think if there was an actual 6-year difference, the series could actually just continue from there with 2-year skips between games in-game, but with a normal release schedule.

But regardless of all that, I do think it's more likely the game takes place in 2016.

84X

Banned
Pretty sure that's the result of Palace.

For sure but I was just throwing it out there as the only thing that gave me even a remote vibe that the game could take place further than 2016.

Though discussion is sorta groundless since pretty sure everyone believes it's 2016 anyways.

Lunar15

For sure but I was just throwing it out there as the only thing that gave me even a remote vibe that the game could take place further than 2016.

Though discussion is sorta groundless since pretty sure everyone believes it's 2016 anyways.

I think it'll be 2017 or 18. I think they like their whole "setting it a bit in the future thing, and they know it's coming out in 2016 at this point.

Top Bottom