• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Not a fan of the third eye stuff. I appreciate the concept of having a button to highlight what you can interact with, but in practice all it means is you hold down the L1 button the whole dungeon.

Not a fan of the third eye stuff. I appreciate the concept of having a button to highlight what you can interact with, but in practice all it means is you hold down the L1 button the whole dungeon.

I mean, there's really no reason to hold it down to check the treasures, since it's either "nothing" "something" or "TREASURE!!$!".

Irritation's probably just a symptom of overusing it.

Lunar15

While I greatly enjoyed the post palace 6 plot twists, my main suggestion to the P-Studio is to maybe spend less of the anime budget on "lol boobs" scenes and more on scenes that actually show the events that are merely mentioned through exposition dumps.

That said, I was giddy the whole time. I saw it all coming of course, but I'm a sucker for those kinds of setups in movies.

Sophia

While I greatly enjoyed the post palace 6 plot twists, my main suggestion to the P-Studio is to maybe spend less of the anime budget on "lol boobs" scenes and more on scenes that actually show the events that are merely mentioned through exposition dumps.

That said, I was giddy the whole time. I saw it all coming of course, but I'm a sucker for those kinds of setups in movies.

I can't help but wonder if this is something of a funding issue. Like it's easier to get funding for fanservice scenes than it is to get for dramatic scenes. :S

Lunar15

The funny thing is that, at least so far, there's only really been two scenes: The desert bus and the beach scene. Neither of which were *that* bad, but both were entirely pointless.

The overall point is that we needed a bit more showing and a bit less telling in regards to some of the plot points in this game, and anime scenes would have been a pretty OK way to do that.

THAT SAID: I enjoyed the weird little drawings they used to explain stuff. MC's face, so good.

Sophia

I also want to believe that due to Persona 3, Atlus tries to do more dramatic scenes in-game. Once you make an animated cutscene, you can't really change it. It's much easier to write around sillier, lighthearted animated cutscenes, vs writing around plot important ones, should you want to change something in a future release.

Lunar15

I also want to believe that due to Persona 3, Atlus tries to do more dramatic scenes in-game. Once you make an animated cutscene, you can't really change it. It's much easier to write around sillier, lighthearted animated cutscenes, vs writing around plot important ones, should you want to change something in a future release.

This makes sense. But the part I'm referring to actually already had a lot of anime scenes... so not sure why they couldn't show some parts like: (Massive Post Dungeon 6 Spoiler):
How the hell Sae got the MC out of the interrogation room and how they covered for the fact that Akechi shot the cognitive guard but there'd only be one "body" left at the scene of the crime? It'd also be cool to animate the flashbacks of the team actually setting this up over the course of November.

Ultimately, wish more budget and time could be spent towards in-game cutscenes, because I've yet to have seen one that looked bad. Seriously, Soejima's art was so well implemented into the in game art style that it absolutely pops during those in-game cutscenes. The anime cutscenes don't really match Soejima's style at all, and it shows. The game art itself has such heavy shading - none of that is incorporated into the anime whatsoever.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I don't think I'm gonna do that thing where you make your yoshitsune into an unkillable god, instead I'm just gonna play around with the more interesting passives like arms master, ali dance, firm stance, apt pupil and enduring soul. I might even do regen 3 or something on top of that.

It's been like a year since I updated my Persona tumblr but I just updated it with one of the last four Persona 4 related posts I plan on doing:

tumblr_op8n3rVChT1tt73w0o2_1280.png

tumblr_op8n3rVChT1tt73w0o1_1280.png

PK Gaming

Your Dojima Persona is incredibly kickass, and imagining him as a playable character just makes me sad. I don't fault P4 for not doing it, but I think it could have been awesome in the end.

I’m also kind of cheating as Kanji’s two awakened Personas (Rokuten Maoh and Takeji Zaiten) are actually technically based on Nobunaga (they’re both nicknames he had),

I wouldn't worry about it too much, considering multiple characters in this series have had the same Persona, but different takes on it.

Lynx_7

Arc wanted it. Atlus said no.

I understand why they'd say no, but man, it's a silly fanservicey spin-off. I want to kick Adachi's ass with badass papa cop, I don't mind if it's a far fetched concept, it's a fighting game ffs.

That's what I'm talking about when I say I couldn't care less about these spin-offs being "canon" and severely limiting whatever nice things we could get out of them.

FluxWaveZ

I understand why they'd say no, but man, it's a silly fanservicey spin-off. I don't mind if it's a far fetched concept, it's a fighting game ffs.

That's what I'm talking about when I say I couldn't care less about these spin-offs being "canon" and severely limiting whatever nice things we could get out of them.

I'm fine with the spin-offs not being canon, but I'm with Atlus on the decision to reject the idea of a Dojima + Nanako playable fighter in P4A. It'd be ridiculous in a way that I wouldn't appreciate.

Lynx_7

I'm fine with the spin-offs not being canon, but I'm with Atlus on the decision to reject the idea of a Dojima + Nanako playable fighter in P4A. It'd be ridiculous in a way that I wouldn't appreciate.

Dojima with a Persona is not anymore ridiculous than Koromaru and the latter is an actual mainline thing, but eh, to each their own. Could do with or without Nanako, but if Ken exists then why not.

FluxWaveZ

Dojima with a Persona is not anymore ridiculous than Koromaru and the latter is an actual mainline thing, but eh, to each their own. Could do with or without Nanako, but if Ken exists then why not.

I think the latter being mainline is the important part. To introduce Dojima with his own persona, I'd want there to be appropriate context for it and for it to work within the confines of the universe they've established, which I wouldn't have faith a fanservice spin-off title like this would pull off. And then there'd be people complaining about it not having been executed well. I wouldn't want his character to be watered down just so that he could be included in a fighting game.

There's enough time given in their respective game to give context to Koromaru and Ken having personas. The fact that it's mainline also pretty much means it's not happening purely for the sake of fanservice, which the Dojima choice would have been.

I think it's a careful balance.

Lynx_7

I think the latter being mainline is the important part. To introduce Dojima with his own persona, I'd want there to be appropriate context for it and for it to work within the confines of the universe they've established, which I wouldn't have faith a fanservice spin-off title like this would pull off. And then there'd be people complaining about it not having been executed well. I wouldn't want his character to be watered down just so that he could be included in a fighting game.

There's enough time given in their respective game to give context to Koromaru and Ken having personas. The fact that it's mainline also pretty much means it's not happening purely for the sake of fanservice, which the Dojima choice would have been.

I think it's a careful balance.

That's the thing though, I don't need careful consideration or contextualization as to why it needs to work within Persona's universe because I'm completely fine with divorcing the spin-offs from the mainline games entirely. In a fighting game I don't need justification as to why the Joker can fight toe to toe with Darkseid and Superman, or how Pac-Man and Yoshi can stand their own against Cloud Strife and Ike, or even how Phoenix Wright is supposed to fight at all, I just want to use my favorite characters and have fun with them. Fighting games by design have B-tier kung fu movie stories at best, so you might as well have fun with the whole concept instead of trying to make it work as a serious narrative and just coming off as a vastly inferior product that doesn't play up its own strenghts.

That's why if they included Dojima and gave the flimsiest "he could do it all along, just never had the opportunity" excuse I would buy it with no issues, because I don't take any of these games seriously and as far as I'm concerned none of their events ever happened whether or not Atlus would like me to believe they did. Make Minato an unlockable character too while you're at it. Erebus is taking a vacation or whatever. To me, the point of these spin-offs is exactly that: mindless fanservice.

FluxWaveZ

Nah, for me and I think a lot of fans of the games, I don't want P4A to be all-out like Super Smash Bros. is in terms of doing whatevs. I want that baseline consistency, because that's what makes it fun in terms of watching fights and playing characters. Upping the crazy would have a negative effect for me. It's not simply about seeing the characters appear in the game, but about seeing them come to life in a faithful manner to who they actually are.

While I don't mind if it's canon or not, what I do mind is to see the fighting game properly represent who the characters were in previous titles, but in a fighting context. I don't want that warped; it wouldn't be as fun for me like that. And P4A did a fantastic job of this, with ASW really staying true to the characters, through their animations, abilities, strengths + weaknesses, unique dialogue, etc.

Thanks for the comments on the pictures guys, always appreciated.

Regarding "warped" depictions of characters in P4A, I thought the P3 characters sans Aigis and Ken were incredibly warped. Maybe Mitsuru too, though her design was "wut." Akihiko was barely recognizable in both looks and characterization, and Junpei and Yukari took their "redesigns" waaaay too far to the point that they completely eclipse the characters they're supposed to be. Yukari in particular in gameplay doesn't come across as anything but a pink Power Ranger, shouting Saturday morning catchphrases and striking stupid poses.

Yukari, you're fighting with a prop.

I guess that doesn't really add much to the discussion other than having another opportunity to rant about Arena's Mitsuru, Akihiko, Junpei, and Yukari.

Lynx_7

While I don't mind if it's canon or not, what I do mind is to see the fighting game properly represent who the characters were in previous titles, but in a fighting context. I don't want that warped; it wouldn't be as fun for me like that. And P4A did a fantastic job of this, with ASW really staying true to the characters, through their animations, abilities, strengths + weaknesses, unique dialogue, etc.

Including fan favorites doesn't really preclude them from being faithful to said characters and correctly represent their personalities through moveset, dialogue and music, but I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Thanks for the comments on the pictures guys, always appreciated.

Regarding "warped" depictions of characters in P4A, I thought the P3 characters sans Aigis and Ken were incredibly warped. Maybe Mitsuru too, though her design was "wut." Akihiko was barely recognizable in both looks and characterization, and Junpei and Yukari took their "redesigns" waaaay too far to the point that they completely eclipse the characters they're supposed to be. Yukari in particular in gameplay doesn't come across as anything but a pink Power Ranger, shouting Saturday morning catchphrases and striking stupid poses.

Yukari, you're fighting with a prop.

I guess that doesn't really add much to the discussion other than having another opportunity to rant about Arena's Mitsuru, Akihiko, Junpei, and Yukari.

In all honesty, I liked Aigis and Mitsuru's depictions in Arena.

Akihiko is Akihiko as he is currently known, and that's unforgivable.

And Yukari, you're right. There is no characterization to her.
And given what her mention in P5 consists of, that's unlikely to change, sadly.

I can't decide if that's better or worse...?

I mean, even if it was, P5 proves that it could work.
Except it doesn't because a weapon's deadliness is directly correlated with how realistic/convincing it is.

So she's a gimmick. :/
Yukari's personality in-battle was in complete service to being a Feather Ranger, but she was so much fun. In a game with a narrative and characterization as garbage as Ultimax, is it really so bad if Yukari was a goofy over the top action star?

Only adds to the wasted potential.
If I want something inanely hilarious, I'll play Elizabeth's story.

PK Gaming

Yukari's personality in-battle was in complete service to being a Feather Ranger, but she was so much fun. In a game with a narrative and characterization as garbage as Ultimax, is it really so bad if Yukari was a goofy over the top action star?

Sophia

Adding to this, Phoenix Ranger Featherman has pretty much been around since Persona 2. So it's a giant homage/fanservice towards one of the oldest elements in the series.

I don't mind, personally. Yukari already got a ton of character development in Persona 3, and the focus on the relationship between her and Mitsuru was great.

Young Magus

Speakin of Phoenix Ranger Featherman and p2 (mild spoilers incoming)....
Who else named they're group
Masked Circle
in P5?

Not to mention, it's not even her as a star, it's her as the character.
None of her.
I think that's basically the essence of my opposition to P4U Yukari--she's just not Yukari at all, she's the character Yukari's playing as. Even at their worst in regular gameplay the other P3 characters still come across as the character's they're supposed to be: Akihiko is just Akihiko dressing like a bum, Junpei is still basically Junpei with a baseball gimmick, and Mitsuru is still Mitsuru but dressed herself I guess, but in Yukari's case we basically just straight up got a Featherman character in place of Yukari.

She's the only prior established character I feel that Arena and Ultimax's awful narrative decisions bleeds into normal gameplay beyond just a dumb look.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Finally finished it
95 hours
All confidants maxed
84% compendium completion

And naturally I feel a massive emptiness inside where this game used to be lmao.

What a fucking fantastic experience that was, the finale was damn wonderful and having lucifer with me throughout the whole thing felt thematically appropriate lmao. Though I will say I feel like the whole
getting imprisoned for over a month after saving the world made the pacing feel weird
but regardless it was still incredibly satisfying.

Over all though I think I might still prefer persona 4 over 5 but by like a very tiny margin.

Jesus I might just jump right into NG+ right away lmao.

asagami_

Banned
Speakin of Phoenix Ranger Featherman and p2 (mild spoilers incoming)....
Who else named they're group
Masked Circle
in P5?

Eh, I wanted, but I went with a Type-Moon (or maybe Kara no Kyoukai...) pun. But yeah, P5 have a LOT of callbacks to the first Persona (and Nocturne regarding the selection of bosses), like, for example, the 5th P
alace is basically a Xibalba-like dungeon, I thought it the first time I saw it in the trailer and it was true, even in the Persona Wiki is mentioned this.

There are a lot of callbacks in the game, but I will mention them when I finish it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Debating doing an arsene only run in ng+, but I feel like I am going to spend ages in the velvet room strengthening him and trying to get new skills on him after level 15.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
After you "beat" the game again come back and tell us what ending you got so we can make sure you really got the true ending. Until then, save your cleared file on a separate slot so you can come back to the save before the endgame just in case. You have been warned! :p

And welcome aboard the megaten train, next destination: P5 or P3 if you're craving another Persona experience; Devil Survivor: Overclocked is a solid choice if you want a bridge between Persona (big focus on story and characters) and traditional Megaten (an interesting take on the Law-Neutral-Chaos conflict, Tokyo as a setting); Digital Devil Saga is even closer in gameplay and tone to traditional SMT while also still being more plot-focused and it has a fixed party of characters, so it might also be a good choice for someone coming from Persona; SMT: Nocturne if you want to jump to the mainline series right away, it was actually the game I played right after P4 introduced me to the series and I don't regret it one bit, though be aware it's a lot more focused on combat and dungeon crawling than narrative or characters; alternatively, some people might argue SMT IV is more suitable for newcomers, though be aware the first few hours are massively more difficult than the rest of the game so it may be a bumpy road at first.

Note taken, will do.
Currently going through
Adachi's dungeon
and i'm crushing everything in my path with Loki, Thor, Trumpeteer and Throne with Cool Breeze.
I should look up how to fuse Odin. Trying to make a Norse loadout, just for the fun of it.

P5 looks stunning, but it might be best if I atleast try a SMT game in between.
A big thanks for all the recommendations!

I've heard great things about Nocturne, i'm leaning towards that one.
Not a big fan of the whole between heaven and hell thing, that's what kept me from trying the games before, but that might chance depending on how it's handled. If my friends are to be believed Nocturne deals with philosophy quite well, which certainly grabs my attention. Still, i'll believe it when I see it.

Top Bottom