• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2012 Playmaker Wii |OT| of teamwork gameplay + AI testbed for the lesser versions

Datschge

GAF community
➡ PAL FCs
fabprems: 5372 3708 8732
Datschge: 3783 2249 0233
cw_sasuke: 2967 1889 8332
Heavy's Sandvich: 3697 3462 2417
➡ NTSC FCs
Bryan1321: 1678 7331 8443

Non-Playmaker PES 2012 (Xbox360, PS3, PC, PS2, PSP, iPhone/iPod Touch/Android) OT can be found here, the previous year's PES 2011 Playmaker OT here.

By the creators of WE/PES Tactics (PS2), Akiyoshi "Greyhound" Chosogabe and staff, comes the fifth installment of the PES Playmaker (Wii) series.

Playmaker's origin as an AI testbed
Last year's version brought forth many AI changes that were introduced in the HD versions this year. In the Iwata asks about PES 2011 3DS series producer Shinji Enomoto states, that the Wii version was intended as a revolutionary AI testbed from the start for which it got its own separate team:
Honestly, I think computer AIs today are still far from their ideal form in all current video games throughout the world. (...) What triggered that was our dissatisfaction with the AI for "PES" at the time. We made a list of all the things you couldn't do in the previous "PES" games, and made that our new evolutionary form, the one to aim for. (...) With the AI we had then, even if you imagined wanting to get off a pass to an ideal place, there wasn't a player there. (...) Sometimes an AI athlete would be there, just by chance, but it wouldn't have happened on purpose. It was difficult to tackle the problem with existing controllers, too. (...) We really couldn't materialise that system with the AI we had at the time. So, in order to provide some incentive, I created a Wii team, and sought a more dynamic change from the existing team.

Official release dates
➡ Japan, Australia: November 3rd OUT NOW!
➡ Europe: November 4th OUT NOW!
➡ The Americas: November 8th OUT NOW!

Amazon prices (as of November 8th)
➡ COM: US$19,96
➡ UK: £13.24
➡ DE: 27,00€
➡ FR: 24,11€
➡ JP: ¥4,063

What happened so far
★ First Playmaker version

★★ Introduction of Classic controls, targeted shots using B button, give-and-go/one-two passing, improved tackling control while man marking, intercepting passes using d-pad, improved free kick control, friend and rival lists for online matches

★★★ New 3D free kick view and controls, point, pull and control stick dribbling controls, control stick movement while man marking, stamina gauge to limit rushing

★★★★ Playmaker vs Classic control matches, 360° movements, pre-set player movement for set plays, adjustable camera for corner kicks, improved online, hiding the opponent's input

New features
★★★★★ No new features this time. Roster update and a lot of tiny background tweaks, removing annoyances of previous versions. Much improved collision detection and best AI behavior to date. Difficulty also increased through the AI improvements.

PES Wii specific community sites
➡ PES UP! (PAL region, predominantly British)
➡ Play-Wii.org (aka playpes.de, PAL region, predominantly German)
more?

Recommended further reading
➡ Zonal Marking - insightful tactical discussions of real matches which can be applied to Playmaker matches as well
➡ Spielverlagerung - German counterpart to Zonal Marking, updates very often

Last years game was absolutely incredible!

but you are saying there are no new noticeable features this year? I wonder if I'll just have to skip it this time.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Glad there's the odd discussion like this showing it's not processing power that gives features like better AI and gameplay, considering people still try to pad the list of what the "HD era" brought to games beyond visuals and how the Wii was behind in many gameplay enhancing areas... Not to mention now we're seeing the same kind of bullshit from people discussing Vita vs 3DS and once again padding the list of what it offers beyond sharper visuals... Too bad nothing new this year (yet). Early OT though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
One of the best sports game that came out of this generation, it's a quantum leap above HD Fifa and PES in the gameplay department.

Alextended said:
There's no good reason to use classic controls, so, dunno.

I find the Wii controls demand too much concentration to play more than a couple of games in a row, so I tend to play long sessions on the PS2 version

marc^o^ said:
One of the best sports game that came out of this generation, it's a quantum leap above HD Fifa and PES in the gameplay department.

That's for sure. I always tell people about this game and they laugh at me because it's on the wii.
They won't believe me when I tell them how advanced the game play is just because it's not on xbox360. As if there is some absolute scientific law that prevents good game play on the wii or something.

Datschge

added_time said:
but you are saying there are no new noticeable features this year? I wonder if I'll just have to skip it this time.
Konami simply hasn't released any kind of new information about the Wii version this year, and nobody of the gaming "press" is bothering asking them about it or previewing it. Konami unlike last year didn't show the Wii version at the GamesCom either so us enthusiasts haven't got to try it either. So the question whether there are changes, tweaks or anything likely can be answered only once one get his hands on it and reports about it. I'll be doing it if noone else beats me to it.

Alextended said:
There's no good reason to use classic controls, so, dunno.
There were reviews calling the classic controls in the Wii version the best traditional PES available. Should be no surprise really as it essentially got all the fluid overlapping runs AI one year earlier than the HD games.

jlevel13

So inexpensive this year, but I get the feeling they've pretty much given up on this version? I'm actually a little surprised it's even getting a release, but I imagine it's just a minor update of rosters and maybe the menu - not a lot of work?

I had a lot of trouble with last year's online, so that was a disappointment (laggy & took forever to connect to games in the US, at least - which I guess isn't super surprising as I can't imagine it sold very much).

It'll be interesting to see if next year we get a version with the great playmaker controls, but on the next-gen Nintendo console.

Datschge

Winnie the Pimp said:
i've never heard of this? what IS playmaker? a different take on the traditional PES games? or a manager game?
It's football meets RTS, with the wiimote's pointer control you can move players and pass/shoot into spaces. So of all football games this approach allows for the most realistic depiction of real life football tactics. Watch e.g. this excellent player for what kind of playmaking is possible with it.

jlevel13 said:
I'm actually a little surprised it's even getting a release, but I imagine it's just a minor update of rosters and maybe the menu - not a lot of work?
Last year's changes were huge and were fed back into the HD versions this year, so it was rather important. Even if they do no changes anymore beyond roster updates I can't imagine Konami stopping the Wii version earlier than the still existing PS2 and PSP versions.

The only thing they've released

8a.jpg

9a.jpg

10wa.jpg

11wa.jpg

12a.jpg

20wa.jpg

18wa.jpg

15wa.jpg

17wa.jpg

16a.jpg

looks good but i still can't really see the major difference between this and regular PES? I mean you can make passes with the analog sticks as well?

Is this more accurate? I mean do you point RIGHT to where you want the ball to go and it will go there? Looked like it just went straight to the player in that video and not really into open space?

Also: how is dribbling with this compared to regular PES? it looked like all you mainly do here is passing and then shooting?

Winnie the Pimp said:
looks good but i still can't really see the major difference between this and regular PES? I mean you can make passes with the analog sticks as well?

Imagine you can direct your AI teammates exactly where to go, in the Wii version you don't have to imagine.

marc^o^

Winnie the Pimp said:

Is this more accurate? I mean do you point RIGHT to where you want the ball to go and it will go there? Looked like it just went straight to the player in that video and not really into open space?

Also: how is dribbling with this compared to regular PES? it looked like all you mainly do here is passing and then shooting?
Passes are more realistic and accurate. For instance you can make a pass that will stop at 3 meters from the shooter.

The most impressive feat is how you can manually move any player on the field. The better you get, the more players you will move simultaneously in the course of an action.

It makes the game feel less assisted and more creative/satisfying.

Winnie the Pimp said:

You can use the pointer to tell your team mate exactly where to run while at the same time using the analog stick to control the run of the player you are controlling.. Then you can again use the pointer to click on EXACTLY where you want to lob pass a ball to.
It's really incredible to play this game.
It takes a lot of practice and you need to learn how to multitask but when you finally get it, you can do some of the most realistic soccer tactics I've ever seen.

added_time said:
You can use the pointer to tell your team mate exactly where to run while at the same time using the analog stick to control the run of the player you are controlling.. Then you can again use the pointer to click on EXACTLY where you want to lob pass a ball to.
It's really incredible to play this game.
It takes a lot of practice and you need to learn how to multitask but when you finally get it, you can do some of the most realistic soccer tactics I've ever seen.

damn i'll have to try this hmmm, i used to be a PES nut but recent iterations sucked so bad compared to PES6 back in the day that i gave up on the series :(

so this game in Europe is just called Pro Evolution Soccer 2011/12 for WII then? since i can't find any other or is it not out for PAL regions? I mean i know it says in the OT it will be out in Nov. but the OLD one never came?

Datschge

Winnie the Pimp said:
looks good but i still can't really see the major difference between this and regular PES?
You can essentially control all your 10 field players at once, and there is no ambiguity about which player you control.

Winnie the Pimp said:
I mean you can make passes with the analog sticks as well?

You can tell exactly were the ball should go. You can do that purely into space and make the AI pick that up, or select a receiving player before executing the pass, making him start the run earlier. The latter obviously is the more secure approach, allowing for the powerful tiki-taka style. The player in the video I showed is a master of that, barely anyone else reaches his amount of (successful) passes played per game.

Winnie the Pimp said:
This is just one style of playing, Playmaker allows all and any football tactic that also exist in reality (or whatever you are making up). I don't know "regular PES", but with the right players dribbling is a powerful tool. Passing (just like in reality) just is more powerful if done right (by having the correct formation and being able to overload the opponent) and can be done well by more players.

Read e.g. Zonal Marking's tactical analysis of real games and then try to apply the lessons from there into your football game. PES Playmaker both handles this realistically and is a joy to play.

Edit:
Winnie the Pimp said:
so this game in Europe is just called Pro Evolution Soccer 2011/12 for WII then? since i can't find any other or is it not out for PAL regions? I mean i know it says in the OT it will be out in Nov. but the OLD one never came?
The game is just called PES 2012 outside of Japan, right. In Japan it has the additional "Playmaker" in the title, outside of Japan the Wii game just has less stars in the logo. :lol (PES Wii being at its 5th installment has five stars there.) There have been games every year since 2008, and the Wii version usually is the last to release of all PES versions. I linked to the OT of last year's version in the OP.

olimpia84

I skipped this game the last two years but it looks like I'll be back for this version. I mean, 20 bucks for a new game? Sign me up

Winnie the Pimp said:
damn i'll have to try this hmmm, i used to be a PES nut but recent iterations sucked so bad compared to PES6 back in the day that i gave up on the series :(

You can play it the old classic way. Big improvement over PES6.

Here's a video I recorded of PES 2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy9AlUiZ2p4

Winnie the Pimp said:
ok but if you play it the old classic way it is essentially the same as the HD versions on PS3/360 then? cos those SUCKED actually... so is JUST the control/input method different or the whole actual GAME?
Not at all. With the classic controller it's more like the PS2 days. Completely different from the PS3/360 versions.

ShellyDeKiller said:
Not at all. With the classic controller it's more like the PS2 days. Completely different from the PS3/360 versions.

That's good to know, I think I will pick this up. Also to the OP, if you like Zonal Marking.net you may wish to check out this site. It's only new but has some broader looks at various formations you may find interesting.

ShellyDeKiller said:

ok kinda confused now whether i should pick this up and play it with the WiiMote for this all new "playmaker" type experience or just play and love it with a CC like i used to love the PS2 versions.. hmm

fabprems

Sign me in ! The football club of my town just got promoted in Ligue1 so, even if I'm really satisfied with PES 2011 and that it seems that there aren't new features in 2012, I'll have to buy it :D

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Winnie the Pimp said:
ok kinda confused now whether i should pick this up and play it with the WiiMote for this all new "playmaker" type experience or just play and love it with a CC like i used to love the PS2 versions.. hmm

Play it with the Wii Remote. Honestly I find it hard to go back to the inept AI of the HD games when you have tasted full player control. Being able to move players off the ball with pinpoint accuracy, being able to position defenders and attackers where you want them, is just just so much less frustrating.

Turrican3

Winnie the Pimp said:
I really, REALLY suggest trying the playmaker-style gameplay.

Back in the PS2 days I used to play PES/WE most of the time with a friend, both controlling players of the same team, because, as you probably already knew, this way you were somehow able to circumvent the AI of the game and build better strategies especially when attacking.

Now, with PES Wii, you don't need a human friend in your team anymore. :)

If this isn't revolutionary gameplay, I don't know what deserves to be defined this way.

Winnie the Pimp said:
I haven't played this game on Wii. However just watching some of the info videos shows you how much superior the controls are. It's one of the few Wii games that the control really enhance the experience maybe even more than the advanced animation systems implemented in the platforms with more processing power.

Datschge

Datschge said:
Note for German GAF (in case there's anyone here): The game's coming on 27th (in two days) already.
That's stupid. One day before the supposed release Amazon and local stores changed the date to next week...

marc^o^

It's the Zelda SS of sports game on wii. Just take the time to lose years of soccer control habits, and be amazed by the freedom you now have.

Datschge

Received the game. Unlike all the previous versions this year's update is indeed just a roster update with "hidden" gameplay and AI tweaks. Changes made to the HD PES 2012, the change/removal of different abilities (explosiveness for acceleration and agility, removal of shot technique, defensive special abilities like def leader, covering, sliding, man marking) haven't found their way into Playmaker. From the few first offline games against the CPU passing and one touch while not being attacked seems more accurate, headings and running seem to be toned down, the AI at highest difficulty seems to keep its formation better than before instead eventually ending up standing in one row. So the tweaks seem to reward intelligent chains of passes and usage of free space more than before relative to simple kick and rush. I'm not able to find anyone online at the moment so can't say yet whether that was touched. Testing master league now...

fabprems

Datschge said:
Received the game. Unlike all the previous versions this year's update is indeed just a roster update with "hidden" gameplay and AI tweaks. Changes made to the HD PES 2012, the change/removal of different abilities (explosiveness for acceleration and agility, removal of shot technique, defensive special abilities like def leader, covering, sliding, man marking) haven't found their way into Playmaker. From the few first offline games against the CPU passing and one touch while not being attacked seems more accurate, headings and running seem to be toned down, the AI at highest difficulty seems to keep its formation better than before instead eventually ending up standing in one row. So the tweaks seem to reward intelligent chains of passes and usage of free space more than before relative to simple kick and rush. I'm not able to find anyone online at the moment so can't say yet whether that was touched. Testing master league now...
Thanks for the news. Kind of sad that they didn't put much effort in this (last wii ?) game :/

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Considering that PES 2010 Wii was the best PES both with playmaker's controls but ALSO with classic controls, that I have skipped 2011 because for once I liked the "HD" version (PC) BUT this year's HD effort sucks ass so much that it's painful and not only 'cause of the money wasted... Then yes, I'll find solace in the Wii version, once again.

Ordered.
Sooo pissed about PES 2012 HD tho, is that what's in-store for PES in the future? WiiU will ditch playmaker controls, just watch it... How am I going to manage when I can't like FIFA for the life of me? :/

legend166

The last one I got was 2009, so I'm gonna pick this one up. Even if it's only got minor improvements over 2011 it should all be new enough for me.

There's every chance this will be the last one they'll make considering the Wii U most likely isn't going to focus on IR controls (which by the way is the most disappointing thing ever).

This is the most underrated series in the last 10 years. Completely revolutionary gameplay and no one cares ;_;

marc^o^

legend166 said:
The last one I got was 2009, so I'm gonna pick this one up. Even if it's only got minor improvements over 2011 it should all be new enough for me.

There's every chance this will be the last one they'll make considering the Wii U most likely isn't going to focus on IR controls (which by the way is the most disappointing thing ever).

This is the most underrated series in the last 10 years. Completely revolutionary gameplay and no one cares ;_;
I have high hopes for a Wii U version. They kept supporting this game every year despite the low sales. I think what this game needs above all to meet success is HD graphics.

Turrican3

marc^o^ said:
I have high hopes for a Wii U version. They kept supporting this game every year despite the low sales. I think what this game needs above all to meet success is HD graphics.
Not sure about that.

I mean, if they cut wiimote/IR support from the WiiU version it will be just like current HD versions (I'm hugely skeptical about the possibility of conveniently replicating Playmaker tactics using the touch screen controller, but we'll see)

On the other hand, if they decide to support both IR-style and Classic controls (maybe with some features added, made possible by the WiiUpad, but still largely based on the traditional gameplay, not the Playmaker one) then yes, it might spark off interest in a larger audience.

marc^o^

Turrican3 said:
On the other hand, if they decide to support both IR-style and Classic controls then yes, it might spark off interest in a larger audience.
I'm hoping for that.

wrowa

I'm surprised they are still doing the Playmaker games, to be honest. I always was under the impression that they are selling rather badly.

Datschge

fabprems said:
Thanks for the news. Kind of sad that they didn't put much effort in this (last wii ?) game :/
It's not bad at all. While there are no fundamental changes those tiny background tweaks remove a lot of AI and control annoyances that were still in 2011. After a quarter master league season I can already tell that e.g. those stupid runs off the field with the ball and too slow responses to deflected or misplaced balls are handled much better in this version. So far I'm liking this a lot. Still can't find anyone online though, I really hope that the input delay is handled more sane this year. Last year it was causing a lot of passes and shots being oddly misplaced like it never happens offline.

marc^o^ said:
I'm looking forward to a Wii U version as well. I want Playmaker controls with the additional ability to adapt formations in real time on that screen controller. =)

wrowa said:
I'm surprised they are still doing the Playmaker games, to be honest. I always was under the impression that they are selling rather badly.
This keeps coming up, but you need to consider that they are still doing PS2 and PSP versions as well. I doubt they'll stop doing Wii versions before those for PS2 and PSP. And the graphic engine works seems to be build upon in the 3DS version.

Turrican3

Datschge said:
I'm looking forward to a Wii U version as well. I want Playmaker controls with the additional ability to adapt formations in real time on that screen controller. =)
Now that you make me think about it... it could work somehow, as long as you do everything on the controller: like, basically you wouldn't need the tv at all, you'd just move players, shoot with the stylus and watch the action in realtime on the WiiUpad.

Right now I can't think of a better alternative to the wiimote/IR gameplay, in the worst case scenario of Konami supporting only the WiiUpad.

Top Bottom