• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2012 Playmaker Wii |OT| of teamwork gameplay + AI testbed for the lesser versions

ElFly

Does the DS PES play like this, just with the touch screen?

Wouldn't hope too much for a WiiU version if this is not the case.

Datschge

ElFly said:
Does the DS PES play like this, just with the touch screen?

Wouldn't hope too much for a WiiU version if this is not the case.
The DS PESes were stopped after 2008, and up to that point it was a direct continuation of the PES games on GBA. They were like horribly updated versions of the SNES' ISS, no touch input, no charm.

I think the amount of unique polish a Wii U PES might get fully depends on whether the Playmaker team is still allowed to experiment independently from the rest of the staff. Who knows, considering this year's update is limited to roster and AI tweaks the team may well work on Wii U already.

In other news, finally found someone online for a couple of matches. Feels much better than in 2011, passes actually arrive (unless intercepted, of course), even if they are misplaced the players try to reposition themselves to receive the ball. Have a hard time canceling movements as it seems no longer possible online. Headers after crosses are much easier to defend now. Still some oddities, but I'll get to play more different people this evening so we will see how much depends on the net code and how much on the connection quality.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ordered the game on zavvi - should get it next week. I hope we can get organize some matches between Gaffer, it been years since i play PES on Wii. The last version i bougt was 09.

Datschge

Half a dozen online matches later I can say that it's much improved over last years' version. The connection has to be quite bad for affecting the gameplay, at that point the game can turn into a slideshow (happened against one user to whom I never had a good connection before anyway). But the perfectly playable state is much more prevalent so far than it was in 2011 (note that this shouldn't change later when more user go online as connections are p2p afaik).

Yagharek

Datschge said:
Penalty kicks seem plenty responsive again (like 2010 afaicr) after the odd break in 2011.

What was wrong with 2011? Ive got that one, but I didnt play 2010 so I dont know how it compares exactly.

Datschge

Started Champions Road (for the first time since 2008 :lol), the importance of formations (and the tactical bias shown as 1-5 in the bottom left corner) has increased again. Unlike in 2011 AI movement is not limited by the directional arrows, instead those arrows are back tobeing the tool to tell the AI where to deviate from the set formation.

One huge improvement is much better collisions detection. At least a lot of animations in which collisions were unaccounted for in 2011 (most noticeable jumps) are now resolved much more realistically. This made e.g. goals through crosses to headers harder to execute and easier to defend against. In general players seem to run into each other less often unless on purpose. On the other hand balls get deflected/blocked more often, and the bounced ball has exaggerated accelerations less often.

Individually through variation in values seem to have increased as well. Players with high technique, response and dribble accuracy can't really run straight through opponents, but their abilities often allow them to quickly pick up deflected/blocked balls again in very small areas which results in some realistic depictions of such duels.

RandomVince said:
What was wrong with 2011? Ive got that one, but I didnt play 2010 so I dont know how it compares exactly.
Due to the input delay introduced in 2011 to fix the net code the right way, the correct time for the keeper to jump was mostly obfuscated as there's no helpful feedback through the resulting animations.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I've bought each version of PES on wii since the series was created, and no surprise, this the best one so far :) Collision detection is better, AI is better and the pace of the game has been slightly increased.

I just played a flawless online game, and so I'm in love again with this gem.

I'll post more impressions later, I saw they added a new view on corners. I'll discuss the small new things like that.

Datschge

Snakeyes said:
What? This is huge. Why the hell does FIFA get more praise than this?
I honestly have no idea, control wise it always was the best football game ever. And for the last couple years it also has the best football AI behavior currently on the market. It's by far not perfect, but the sales it gets are a huge shame considering its quality.

marc^o^

This game is phenomenal but it has 2 enormous issues to get noticed by the mass market: it looks like a PS2 game, and it requires skills/a big learning curve.

Datschge

Regarding learning curve I still stand by what I stated before: The Playmaker controls are easier to pick up and learn and also more intuitive than traditional controls (especially now that Konami tries to shoehorn some of the playmaker features into the traditional button/dual stick layout). The latter is just the more widespread control, and that existing audience knowing the traditional control is avoiding checking out the different approach.

jlevel13

Datschge said:
Regarding learning curve I still stand by what I stated before: The Playmaker controls are easier to pick up and learn and also more intuitive than traditional controls (especially now that Konami tries to shoehorn some of the playmaker features into the traditional button/dual stick layout). The latter is just the more widespread control, and that existing audience knowing the traditional control is avoiding checking out the different approach.

I kind of see what you're saying, and I agree that perhaps the playmaker style is more intuitive (makes more sense), but it's also harder, you can't deny that. There's a lot more you have to be aware of and doing at the same time - it's more complicated than the traditional way. Of course, it's worth learning & gives you, in theory, a much better, more challenging, more fluid game. But sometimes I also feel, just holding and using the wii remote & nun-chuck for a few games in a row isn't the most comfortable controller to use... another strike against the wii. For me though, the two main problems are the lackluster, ten year old graphics engine and the wii online set-up. Both issues which should be fixed on the next Nintendo console - so I've got my fingers crossed it'll get a similar controlling game and not just the same 360/ps3 crap.

Datschge

You can do more, but you can also just stick to what you'd do with traditional controls. For the latter it's both easier to learn and more reliable. Nobody forces anyone to try to control everything in playmaker, and with the last couple versions you often are actually better off knowing when to restrain as the AI can do good work as well if not better. On the other hand with traditional controls trying to control a specific player and doing a pass into a specific direction is what used to drive me nuts more often than not, the point & click control to do that in playmaker should be natural to anyone who ever used a mouse on a computer.

I personally don't care much about the graphics, in the standard zoomed out field view they are serviceable enough to not hinder the gameplay. The advantage from going HD would be having more details and thus allowing for an even bigger field of view, something I've certainly wanted several times. I honestly find the focus on realism of stadia, players' faces etc. pretty hilarious as they are of no worth during such gameplay, only for close up sequences and replays (and in the first couple versions those were indeed so ugly I wished I could disabled them altogether ...actually I still want that feature instead having to cancel manually every time to save time =P).

marc^o^

I have played a dozen more matches since my last post.

No words could convey how FANTASTIC this version is. Don't get fooled thinking this game is a copy paste from last year (special message to Puyo from Gamekult). If you were able to differentiate say a Winning eleven 5 from a Winning Eleven 6 Final Edition, you know what I am talking about.

Player statistics are better represented on the field. The IA has been tweaked, players you are not manually handling are smarter than previous years. New collisions animations have been added, making the game more realistic in lots of situations. Ball has more weight, the speed has been increased. It's fast. It's ruthless. It's BRILLIANT!

Beyond gameplay enhancements, online is now flawless, a first in the series :)))
I played 4 Barça - Real matches yesterday and it was amazing football. Amazing football.

Compared to this, PES and FIFA on PS3 feel limited, automated, on rails, simple arcade titles. I don't want to offend anyone fan of these games- that I also own, but that's how I feel.

And so this is my GOTY so far. Past years I always had PES Wii in my top 3. While I have mostly been disappointed by big games I played in 2011, I didn't expect PES 2012 to surprise me once more. I'll play onlines matches for months, so buy this game and join me!

fabprems

marc^o^ said:

No words could convey how FANTASTIC this version is. Don't get fooled thinking this game is a copy paste from last year (special message to Puyo from Gamekult). If you were able to differentiate say a Winning eleven 5 from a Winning Eleven 6 Final Edition, you know what I am talking about.

Player statistics are better represented on the field. The IA has been tweaked, players you are not manually handling are smarter than previous years. New collisions animations have been added, making the game more realistic in lots of situations. Ball has more weight, the speed has been increased. It's fast. It's ruthless. It's BRILLIANT!

Beyond gameplay enhancements, online is now flawless, a first in the series :)))
I played 4 Barça - Real matches yesterday and it was amazing football. Amazing football.

Compared to this, PES and FIFA on PS3 feel limited, automated, on rails, simple arcade titles. I don't want to offend anyone fan of these games- that I also own, but that's how I feel.

And so this is my GOTY so far. Past years I always had PES Wii in my top 3. While I have mostly been disappointed by big games I played in 2011, I didn't expect PES 2012 to surprise me once more. I'll play onlines matches for months, so buy this game and join me!

Where did you find it ? It's not out in France yet ???

Datschge

fabprems said:
Where did you find it ? It's not out in France yet ???
Hrm, what is this with the release date differing so much within Europe? (Sweden seems to get it later as well.)

I guess you could import the German version as that game also includes French and Greek (just like all the previous versions). You'd have to live with a German manual then (but it has the exact same content as the last version anyway).

legend166

marc^o^ said:

Awesome. Sounds like it will be a good send off for the series. Glad I'm picking it up.

fabprems

Datschge said:
Hrm, what is this with the release date differing so much within Europe? (Sweden seems to get it later as well.)

I guess you could import the German version as that game also includes French and Greek (just like all the previous versions). You'd have to live with a German manual then (but it has the exact same content as the last version anyway).
Yeah, it's a mess !

Anyway, got my copy today, my friend code is 5372 3708 8732

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Datschge said:
Congratulations and hope you're enjoying it. My FC is 3783 2249 0233, I added you. =)

My Code:
2967 1889 8332

You should at me too, though im playing classic style. Got the game yesterday and so far its pretty good.

Would be good if the OP would list all GAF Fc in the first post or do we have an online/community thread?

Datschge

cw_sasuke said:
Would be good if the OP would list all GAF Fc in the first post or do we have an online/community thread?
Well, in the past we didn't have that much activity here at GAF to have a separate community thread, is it worth doing? (I honestly barely frequent the subforums.) I'll update our community list at the top of the OP in the hope that it catches some eyes.

fabprems

Yeah it's good, and players online are better and better every year, I'm getting my ass kicked a lot :D

The boring thing is that almost everybody is playing Barça, Real or Spain... I like playing for 2 and 3 stars teams, so that's quite frustrating...

Datschge

A couple new matches videos (six atm) can be found on a friend's youtube as my Viddler account was closed due to them moving to paid-only accounts...

Does anybody bother with the reviews? To me it seems everyone complains about it being the same as last year and barely any talk about balancing and netcode, making the reviews worthless as replayability relies on good balance and working netcode which is exactly where PES 2012 Wii is the best PES ever... But I'm considering looking for reviews just to see who bothers at all.

play-wii.org's (PAL) next playmaker league season is open for registration until next weekend in case someone is interested.

Ive been playing it nonstop. I dont play online because i know I'll get massacred but I still love them game. This might be the last wii game I buy but I can see myself 100+ hours in it. Ive been switching of between this and PES 2011 3ds....any words on the 12' 3ds game?

Yagharek

Damn all of you with this game already. Ive been playing PES 2011 the past few days and its finally beginning to click. Incidentally I beat Manchester 'Blue' with Tyneside in a 3-1 thriller, so that was something satisfying. Especially nutmegging De Jong on the way to goal. :D

I ordered the 2012 edition from gameplay.co.uk who had it for 14.99 GBP, plus 5 GBP shipping. Should hopefully arrive this week (australia).

Scr-emo? Jesus.

I've missed Master League so much.

Edit:

Man, I really have missed this game. Just had some matches and talking on skype; so much fun.

I will add the people in the opening post as well.

Wii Friend Code:

3697 3462 2417

olimpia84

Got the game and started playing the Copa Libertadores tournament. I completely skipped the tutorial since I already played 08 and 09. Loving it so far, definitely best soccer-football game out there!

legend166

So my game finally arrived today, after a month of shipping. Just played the one game so far and remember why I love this series so much.

Has anyone made an edit file for the player names or anything?

Not going to get this year's version since I bought last year's and there doesn't seem to be major changes. But seeing this thread makes want to pop PES back in the Wii though. PES and MH3 are literally the only Wii games I've played the past 12 months
mostly Monster Hunter though :p
. Gonna have to relearn a lot of the controls though.

MDX

That's for sure. I always tell people about this game and they laugh at me because it's on the wii.
They won't believe me when I tell them how advanced the game play is just because it's not on xbox360. As if there is some absolute scientific law that prevents good game play on the wii or something.

I wonder what they would say when, hopefully, this title gets a HD make-over for the WiiU.

Datschge

Not going to get this year's version since I bought last year's and there doesn't seem to be major changes. But seeing this thread makes want to pop PES back in the Wii though. PES and MH3 are literally the only Wii games I've played the past 12 months
mostly Monster Hunter though :p
. Gonna have to relearn a lot of the controls though.

If you don't consider optimized balance and netcode major changes, that is. I know this stuff gets dissed as copy/paste everywhere (all those useless superficial reviews), but I personally consider near flawless balance and netcode way more important than (usually not yet polished and balanced) new features, and PES 2012 delivered on the former. But yeah, if next year's version does the same again I'd hesitate as well how perfect it is now already. If you play a lot this year's one is fully worth it even over last year (offline and especially online).

I wonder what they would say when, hopefully, this title gets a HD make-over for the WiiU.
I wish anyone would talk about Winning Eleven Online (which essentially seems to be classic controlled online PES Wii in HD on PC), but I only succeeded in creating a topic even less active than this one. -_-;;

Bryan1321

Banned
After the gaf impressions on the series

I bought my first PES game on any system. its a long learning curve with the wiimote, but its well worth it

If anyone wants to play: FC: 1678 7331 8443

Also... All of the FC on the OP seem to be wrong, the game keeps telling that they are wrong......

faridmon

Damn, this is the only game I regret mmy wii-less life. I don't have a TV, or else I would have bout a Wii and this game on flash.

Datschge

If anyone wants to play: FC: 1678 7331 8443

Also... All of the FC on the OP seem to be wrong, the game keeps telling that they are wrong......

Are you in America/NTSC? Everyone in the OP so far is from PALand afaik, so you might just have confirmed that FCs are restricted by regions.

Bryan1321

Banned
Are you in America/NTSC? Everyone in the OP so far is from PALand afaik, so you might just have confirmed that FCs are restricted by regions.

Didnt know this.... but yes my version is NTSC. So you can confirm that...

The codes are by region... wich i would say sucks....

Even though i have been finding pretty good matches random online

Datschge

I didn't know that either, just confirmed myself that your FC doesn't work here as well. Glad to hear you are able to find opponents online anyway. =) Updated OP to reflect this.

Bryan1321

Banned
I didn't know that either, just confirmed myself that your FC doesn't work here as well. Glad to hear you are able to find opponents online anyway. =) Updated OP to reflect this.

There are some serious players out there. I barely survive with Real Madrid. But everyone uses Barca... its so overpowered

bumping this since i JUST got the 2010 version but there is no other more recent thread on the playmaker PES versions so here goes:

Loving it so far EXCEPT for the fact that i have no clue how to do MANUAL SHOOTING, the tutorial wasn't really clear for me in this case, all i manage is to flick the Nunchuck when i am ready to shoot but that will do an AUTO SHOT and i want to know if there is a reliable way to shoot manually akin to the non playmaker PES versions?

Datschge

Playmaker or classic controls? With playmaker controls you can do "targeted shots using B button" since PES 2009 as stated in the OP. Before PES 2012 the pointer needed to be located within the goal area (not just behind the goal line but outside of the goal) to be detected as a shot instead a pass.

Datschge

The thing about shooting in PES Wii is that it essentially simulates the players trying to make the best shot possible based on the exact input timing, the exact stance the player has in that moment and his ability values. The more ideal all of these parts come together the harder and more precise the shot will turn out. The targeted shots using B button forces the player AI to try less ideal combinations.

However since more precision also means less spread, the most "ideal" case turns out to be shot targeted at the center of the goal which usually is also where the goalkeeper is placed. So (based on their ability stats, in this case shooting accuracy and shooting technique) very good scorers may shoot on the goalkeeper too often, in that case the mentioned targeted shots may be more successful (but due to all the possible influences this highly depends on one's personal playing style).

Top Bottom