• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2012 Playmaker Wii |OT| of teamwork gameplay + AI testbed for the lesser versions

yeah using Playmaker controls...

Oh ok so i have to aim BEHIND the actual goal then, or outside the goal behind it for it to not register as a simple slow pass!!

The shooting is the ONLY complaint i have against this game so far, otherwise i am loving the degree of on the pitch control so far...

Datschge

Click on the ground behind the goal line but within the goal net, it's really picky about that, e.g. clicking the goal net with ground outside the goal behind it won't work. Starting with PES 2012 anyplace behind the goal line works.

As mentioned before many factors influence the quality of a shot. Be sure to stay away from opponents, slow down right before shooting, watch the player's feet while running to time it so he picks his strong foot, be in the correct angle toward the goal (about 15° toward the strong foot) and start the shooting motion as part of the running motion instead interrupting the latter first. This is true for all types of shots.

ok thanks, i managed to get one in this way and when it DOES click it feels great!

So if you master this type of manual shot, do you EVER use the automatic one save for a quick header or something?

Datschge

I personally honestly never really got the right feeling for targeted shots, often the amount of misses seem to be even bigger than with the automatic shots, and as I prefer focusing on the passing before taking a shot I use the latter type most of the time. But it seems most shots over the bar and the likes are also related to trying to take a shot with the first touch which fails very often even with good players for some reasons. I guess I need to try it out again soon. ^^

yeah i mean i somehow can't get used to the very IDEA of automated shots, when the whole POINT of playmaker controls is in fact to have as much manual control as possible over the game!

Even in regular Pro Evo 6 or whatever, you can perfectly control how high the ball goes and in what direction, granted it's not 100% accurate but it's still not automated so i will keep practicing this manual type and see if i can come to grips with it!

Datschge

You have to think of it as telling the players what to do (and them executing that more or less well according to their abilities), never controlling the ball directly.

I've just played several matches using only targeted shots. Scoring this way feels really satisfying indeed, but the quality of the shots is really bad most of the time, reflecting not so ideal pass angles, sending it onto the wrong foot, bad body stances and bad timing. So using targeted shots you'll get direct feedback on whether the chain of movements you told the players to make was any practical and is great for training such. Using automatic shots allows the AI to try the best regardless of the mess directly beforehand. Pick your poison. =)

Datschge

Pausing and putting in controls? I've never heard of such being possible. o_O

Online this can happen with very laggy connections, the game momentarily pauses but still accepts commands. But I wouldn't call that a feature. :lol And the way the netcode was improved in PES 2011 and 2012 such behavior is quite seldom to get nowadays.

If you want to train chains of controls I'd suggest the practice mode, it has a way to rewind the action in several steps, allowing one to repeat situations and trying out different thing. There one can also note how much dependent the game is on the exact input timing, it's nigh impossible to get exact the same result twice.

Top Bottom