• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR 2 - best overall racer this gen?

thorns

Banned
no 30fps haters, this game plays fine at 30fps

However much I play this game, I can't seem to get bored of it, thanks to the online mode. Single player mode is great as well, with TONS of content, many cars, lots of courses. The online is where it shines though, best lap time tables and head to head racing. It's easily my most played game this gen (probably around 200-300 hours with the online mode).

The graphics are simply georgeous, the physics model is quite decent (the cars all handle uniquely and have a real feeling of weight to them). It looks like an arcade racer at first but to get the best times you have to drive it like a sim racer. Also there are no setups involved in the game, it is pure racing.

If anybody has recently bought an xbox and is into racing games they should pick this game up for cheap, there are still plenty of races online so it's not hard to find a game.

Can't wait for PGR3!

thanks AEG for a free copy of PGR2 :lol

fossen

Yep. Burnout 3.

PGR is fun, but a bit sterile. And while some like it, I don't care for that no-man's-land between Arcade and Sim.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I got my Xbox a month or so ago and I need a racer, I have the Outrun demo and loved it but it’s the kind of game I will pick up as a budget title. With a price drop in the states not long ago I am hoping I can get a cheap copy of PGR2 in oz sometime soon!

Any other racing games I should look at?

fossen

Do The Mario said:
Any other racing games I should look at?
241495.jpg
233625.jpg

pilonv1

Burnout 3 would be unbeatable if it had an online mode even half of what PGR2 had. Online, PGR2 is unrivaled (Race Driver 2 is close). Offline, Burnout 3.

ElyrionX

Uhhh no. PGR2 kind of sucked for the half an hour or so that I had with it. The graphics were sweet but the racing itself left much to be desired......

Now, Burnout 3........that's where it gets really good....

Kuroyume

Banned
I prefer the really fast stuff like F-ZERO GX. Is PGR a sim racer like GT3? I hate sims... they're so freaking boring.

jett

D-Member
Ridge Racer V for me. The actual racing model of Burnout 3 sucks. Road Rage is the only fun the game has. :p

Bebpo

Banned
Rallisport 2 and GT4:prologue have been the racing games that have impressed me the most so far this gen.

PGR2 was fun to unlock everything and the challenges were great, but the 30fps kept the racing from being much fun on its own.

Rallisport 2 has fantastic online, and the offline unlocking was a good 20+ hours. Plus it's an absolutely gorgeous game and the tracks are just so much fun. Such a huge step up from the first game.

Deku Tree

F-Zero GX for offline single player me.

Man F-Zero GX online would have been sweet though.
Can't believe Nintendo took out the LAN mode at the last second!!
WTF NINTENDO!11!!1111!!

thorns

Banned
I don't have RSC2 yet since it's way too expensive still in europe, waiting for a price drop..

Burnout 3? It felt very imprecise and anti-racing to me, it's a fun game neverthless, but I wouldn't call it a "racing" game. For me racing is not crashing into other cars/bouncing off walls.

Sysgen

I know where the original poster is coming from. PGR2 has incredible force feedback that adds weight to each and every car. No other racer that I've played can match this. Add the variety of cars of PGR2 crushes Burnout3 in these two areas. PGR2 will also test your skills as you need to know how to race, how to take a corner, how to brake and how to accerlerate as opposed to just having having to dodge traffic. Burnout 3 is fun but PGR2 has way more depth to it. Two different games. Own them both.

If you haven't played PGR2 online, your missing out. If you don't want to sit there and unlock everything get an action replay or a friend with a save :)

thorns

Banned
Also MotoGP 2 I'm sure is very good, but I kinda missed the train on that one and I'm not sure if it's still popular online at all. It's kind of hard to find here also. With Forza & Halo 2 coming, I don't really have the time to master another racer competitively.

PGR2 was my favorite this gen. Burnout 3 close behind with RSC 2 behind that.

I was incredibly addicted to PGR2 for about 6 months. I was got really good at it too. Most addicting game for me since Quake 2.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
burnout 3 is so lame with it's rubberband AI argh!

don't developers get it yet?! RUBBERBAND AI SUCKS!

FLATOUT IS THE BEST! Sense of speed is awesome in first person view and physics are great. and its 60 fps baby!!1 :p

I was quite disapointed with PGR2....cant really point my finger to any obvious faults....maybe the fucked up drafting...or the overall "slowness".

mr2mike

Banned
"PGR 2 - best overall racer this gen? "

No.

"I was quite disapointed with PGR2....cant really point my finger to any obvious faults"

-I can.

It's not about the framerate. The game is just broken. There is such a deep flaw, spreading across both single player and multiplayer modes that I honestly wonder why this forum hasn't burned the game on a stake yet.

Overambition had caused bizarre to go nuts with cars, and from that it went to hell. The car classes as they have been designed are so unbalanced that IMO they completely break the game.

Now dont assume I only vaguely played the game and called it a day, I had it 99.x percent completed on platium when I was forced to use an SUV again in a very late event in arcade mode, wich forced me to completely abandon the game out of sheer anger and disgust. but it's not really about the SUVs, that was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Not only that, but the rest of the game's playable element, the courses, took a severe hit. gone were the awesome track layouts of PGR like Beaver St, The Embankment, White hall to wall, I-chome (sp?), etc...

PGR2 stood no chance of even matching PGR even if the structure of the game hadn't been broken, nevermind doing it as crippled as it ended up being.

thorns

Banned
Well Arcade Mode is more of an afterthought and not really a part of the "real" game IMHO.
I agree that car classes are severely unbalanced, except a few, which leads to most of the cars being terribly underused online. I like to set up races with underused cars though. There are some awesome track layouts too.

I don't see any glaring problems with the game other than unbalanced classes (which is pretty much a non-issue if you're racing online).

Che

Banned
I prefer RSC2. GT3 was too slow, Burnout3 too arcade, and PGR2 although it's a good game I found it boring.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Wyzdom said:
TOCA2

lock this thread.

More people should play this game. The Xbox version (new printing) comes with Colin Mcrae Rally 04 as well!

Wyzdom...how many people are typically online with the PS2 version?

Ranger X

Musashi Wins! said:
More people should play this game. The Xbox version (new printing) comes with Colin Mcrae Rally 04 as well!

Wyzdom...how many people are typically online with the PS2 version?

I would say some hundred at the same time.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Che said:
I never played it cause I hated the original. Is it that good?

It's fun. It rewards high skilled driving, has a bunch of different but compelling race formats and IMO the progression through single player is nice. Way better than the first one.

Ranger X

McFly said:
http://www.gamerankings.com

1. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
2. Burnout 3: Takedown
3. Project Gotham Racing 2

End of discussion. :)

Fredi

Well, my TOCA2 does everything GT does maybe a little less accurately but it also does everything GT don't!
TOCA2 didn't receive enough publicity so it's too much unknown and clearly under-rated.

But the 2 most popular racer are indeed GT3 and Burnout3.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
:lol at all the burnout 3 replies....

didnt he say racer?

Ranger X

McFly said:
Quality >>> Quantity

Toca2 is a great game, but no GT.

Fredi

Well, i must give precisions: If you play chase view, you can notice a very tiny difference in the control (the type of difference you can't really tell wich game is the more realistic).
If you play cockpit view, it's all perfect. It feels just so fucking right. Now put the game on pro-sim mode and GT almost feels like an arcade racer. (no kidding here, the pro-sim mode is not forgiving at all and you must be a perfect racer).
For the record, the only thing TOCA2 does not offer me better than GT is of course the amount of cars. But there's ALOT more different racing series. GT is just "grand tourisme" and "rally".

Other things that TOCA2 does that GT don't:
cockpit view, 22 cars on the race, online play with 8 players in full voice chat and a damage engine (best out there except Burnout's).

TOCA2 is TEH racer my friends.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
oh, and racers this gen go like this

1.rsc2
2.pgr2
3.rsc
4.motogp2

toca 2 fucking blows. burnout is not a racer, and gt3 is dull dull dull.

For realistic racers:

GT3 - One of the most fun racers this generation. No realistic racer comes close to it, imo.

For unrealistic racers:

F-Zero GX - Great sense of speed, love making my own machines, love the difficulty.

thorns

Banned
Strange, though I liked TOCA2 variety of race modes and car classes I found the handling pretty floaty and online racing was filled with blatant track cutting.. The sounds sucked also IMHO. Except track cutting, online racing was very good with lots of options. It also sucked that you couldn't set up any car on any track.. It's a pretty solid racer, but I wouldn't call it the greatest. My biggest gripe was handling and the cars feeling like they're very light. I mean with the F1 cars riding some of the kerbs too hard could launch you several feet into the air. I had a lot of fun with it nevertheless, but it needed more polish IMHO. If CM can fix the handling for the next version it could be a great racer.

Top Bottom