• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Brave: game cleared (spoilers)

Prospero

I finally sat down and beat Phantom Brave last night--final time on the clock was 50 hours (most of which I spent bumming around random dungeons, which were more entertaining than the main game).

Did anybody not beat this game by turning Marona into a ruthless killing machine? I thought the Remove idea was one of the neatest things ever in SRPGs when I started playing, until I realized that since Marona had a Remove number of "infinity," and that she could heal as well as attach with PK Rush and Stun Rod, then almost all of her phantoms were rendered useless (except Ash). Most story stages I beat with Marona alone, occasionally using Ash to help take out a boss. With the final boss I threw a couple of low-level phantoms onto the field to distract it while Marona and Ash beat the hell out of it, neither of them taking a single point of damage. Not to mention that the boss inexplicably passed on two of its turns, ensuring that Marona could take him out without breaking a sweat.

Final levels:
Marona--200
Ash--103
A healer with a few mage skills--75
The rest of my phantoms--around 60.

I loved this game and Disgaea as well, but I won't buy another Nippon Ichi game unless there's a radical change to the game engine, instead of just another gimmick like Confine or Geopanels.

MoxManiac

Yeah, same thing happened to me. My level 450 Marona basically walked around smashing things for 20000 damage towards the end. The extra post-game stuff was dissapointingly easy because of it.

MoxManiac

Honestly, that fact is fine with me. I had a lot of fun building and powerleveling my characters in both Disgaea and Phantom Brave.

Prospero

sp0rsk said:
only level 200?

If I'd let Marona persist in her XP-hogging ways, her level would have been much higher. I put a lot of effort into trying to create a party of eight with about the same level instead of letting Marona run away with the game, though. I also didn't use any of the exploits, like failure dungeons or abusing that one abusable stage (3-2?).

As for powerlevelling--I like it, if only because it's addictive in the way that Diablo II is addictive.

AniHawk

I'm currently going through the third ep and levelling up (and getting cash to heal my team). How many episodes/chapters are there in this game?

Prospero

AniHawk said:
I'm currently going through the third ep and levelling up (and getting cash to heal my team). How many episodes/chapters are there in this game?

Twenty episodes. I found getting money to be a real struggle in the beginning, but around the 10-hour mark I had more money than I knew what to do with. After that the game was cake.

I did so many random Failure dungeons that my characters vastly outclassed Marona. I have Ash at around 1100, a Hell Corgi and a Valkyrie around 1000, and a bunch of others around 800-900. Marona is squarely 670-something.

And no, I haven't beat Prinny Baal.

jiggle

WarPig said:
While the subject's come up, watch out for a new announcement from N1 next week.

DFS.

Concerning Makai War/Phantom Kingdom/Atelier Iris, or it's something completely new?

WarPig

Oh, they've gone and announced Phantom Kingdom today. Anyway, the previews for that go up Monday.

And Atelier Iris actually is still on the way, which astounds me, but I guess stranger things have happened.

DFS.

Top Bottom