• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer admits defeat in console space, and doesn't think great games would help Xbox's market share.

magnumpy

I said "wow"

like I've said before: the "big 3" now consist of Nintendo, Sony, and Meta. in 10-20 years I'm sure the industry will once again look radically different to how it does right now. hell, Sega and Atari used to be big shots in the industry and you see how that worked out.

one prediction I have for the immediate future: enjoy Funko Pops! while they last because IMO they're not long for this world either :(

Duchess

gTsxALG.jpg

I suspect this is a ploy to use against the CMA decision and/or other anti competitive cases.

“We are being blocked from anti competitive behaviour [with Sony… others] but are in fact locked out from competing with the market leaders”. Or something like that. They really needed the sale, it seems.

HofT

Banned
No it because the games sucked, played like ass, they didnt have ANY third party content and bew third party content, it was trash. The switch no pun intended switched it up, got third party publishers on board and most important had quality games!
And a lot of that "blue ocean" market the Wii cultivated transitioned to smartphones. It's called the "Wii" because it was meant for everyone.

Switch is literally Nintendo "switching" back to being what it used to be about. Quality games that you want to play.

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

Ouch, when even phil admits defeat...
Maybe that's his way of communicating that they need the activision deal, he is a mastermind in manipulation, even if he doesn't really understand games.

recursive

Figured this should probably have its own thread, given the implications of what Spencer is saying.

Timestamped video from Kinda Funny Xcast:

Here, Spencer basically says there's no way the Xbox can compete with Sony and Nintendo, and then goes on to say that making great games wouldn't help Xbox compete.

I find this attitude utterly baffling, and I think we're now at the point where this dude needs to step away.

Whole quote here, provided by @Heisenberg007:

Maybe some posturing to help the appeal? Oh woes is me I can't make games I have to buy them to compete?

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
I suspect this is a ploy to use against the CMA decision and/or other anti competitive cases.

“We are being blocked from anti competitive behaviour [with Sony… others] but are in fact locked out from competing with the market leaders”. Or something like that. They really needed the sale, it seems.
Yep! There is literally no other reason why they’d go public with a response like Spencer’s.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There's also the feeling i have that we barely know what Playstation studios are working on besides Insomniac. I feel like this PS showcase is going to highlight even more the gap that there is between Playstation and Xbox. I'm not even counting with rumored deals like Persona 6 being supposedly exclusive, or confirmed 3rd party exclusives like FFVII Rebirth, or console exclusives like Silent Hill 2 Remake, or marketing deals for games like Avatar, Fifa, COD that's still in place for at least 1 or 2 more years, etc.
Just to comment on this, both Playstaion and Xbox are due for a big show after two awful years of non-shows from sony and mediocre shows from MS. I was just talking about this with my friends last night. Fable, Everwild, State Of Decay, Avowed and Perfect Dark were revealed 3 years ago and we havent seen footage from them? If they dont all make an appearance in gameplay form this year then I am done with Xbox.

Same goes for Sony. Skipped 2021, 2022 which woudve been their E3 2015 moment. Ok, but now in 2023 if they phone in their conference with some more third party exclusives then im done. Respawn just released Star Wars after shipping the first game in november 2019. Death Stranding came out the same month and we still havent seen any gameplay for it. Days Gone came out in April 2019, and all Sony bend has shown is a fucking logo. ND shipped TLOU2 6 months after Jedi Fallen Order, and we have no idea if they are making tlou3 or a new IP.

If both Publishers dont have shows to end all shows like E3 2015 then it's time to take a break from gaming because that means the generation wont start until 2026-2028 at best.

What I want Phil to bring to E3 this year in GAMEPLAY form:
  • Fable
  • Forza
  • Perfect Dark
    Hellblade 2
  • State Of Decay 2 (must look a gen above Redfall)
  • Avowed

The rest can be realtime cutscenes since they didnt announce them 2-3 years ago, but they need to be there:
  • Doom 3 years in development
  • Gears of War 6 3.5 years in development.
  • Elder Scrolls announced 5 years ago.

What I want from Sony - Gameplay only:
  • Spiderman 2
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Factions
  • Wolverine
  • FF7-2

The rest can be realtime cutscenes since they didnt announce them 2-3 years ago, but they need to be there:
  • TLOU3 3 years in development
  • Ghost of Tsushima 2 3 years in development
  • Sony Bend's New IP 4 years in development
  • Cory barlog's new IP 5 years in development
Neither fanbase should be happy if they dont get these games showcased 3 years into this gen.

reinking

Gold Member

Maybe... ..but doesn't this narrative play into them wanting to shift to the streaming/cloud space? The space that the CMA actually sited when blocking them?

One thing is certain... ...this is the kind of quote that will never die.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Finally got to actually watch the interview now after work. The framing of it here was even more absurd than I expected. Honestly, I wish we could do something to promote better critical thinking and a bit more appreciation for nuance here as a forum. Its getting ridiculous.

He basically just says they think emulating Sony or Nintendo strategy won't work. They have to innovate and find their own market. And on that I think he's totally correct.

Embarrassing thread. Being sincere guys. If you ever get bored look at some old threads on here from 10 years ago. It was a lot more intellectual, and people discussed things a lot more intelligently. I'm all for jokes and short posts since we're on our phones now, but just repeatedly amplifying outrage is a great way to not get accurate or nuanced information.

SoraNoKuni

Also that's him admitting that if they have THE platform for gaming(buying key franchises and locking people into a subscription), quality doesn't matter.
Yeah, every single gamer that respects themselves shouldn't really wish for a future like that.

Nydius

Xbox 360:
✅️HDMI (added 2007-08-24 with Elite)
✅️SONY GOT YLOD, no jealous
✅️SYM GAMEPAD IS IRRELEVANT, it's a 100% a matter of taste (Also, X360 controller is far away in ergonomics than any DS3 version), PS3 has no vibration at launch but got motion sensors
✅️HDD UPGRADE
:pie_roffles::LOL::pie_roffles::LOL:

It took a separate hardware revision to add HDMI.

Imaging thinking the very rare YLOD was on the same level as the 1.15 BILLION it cost Microsoft to fix their RROD cluster fuck.

Sym gamepad, I will agree, is a matter of taste.

The X360 HDD upgrades were proprietary trash. Even after the slim revisions came out you couldn’t just slap in your own HDD unless you bought the proper plastic shell and you used some hackery to properly format it to be detected as useable on the 360. They charged ridiculous prices for their proprietary formatted drives versus the cost of a bare drive that could be slapped into any PS3 with minimal fuss (kinda like how MS are charging laughable amounts for an inferior proprietary SSD today).

Any other rosé tinted goggles bullshit you want corrected?

Last edited:

Sakura

These are weird statements to make.
Our vision is that everybody who's on console has to feel like they have a great experience and they're a first-class citizen.
Well if Sony and Nintendo are both getting great exclusives, and Xbox isn't, then they aren't going to feel like first class citizens are they?
It's just not true that if we go off and build great games, all of a sudden you're going to see console share shift in some dramatic way.
Why don't you try it first before saying it doesn't work?
There is no world where Starfield is an 11 out of 10 and people start selling their PS5.
Maybe they won't sell their PS5, but a couple games like that and maybe they will go out and buy an Xbox too.
And if this is the case, why is MS making these games exclusive in the first place?

Maybe... ..but doesn't this narrative play into them wanting to shift to the streaming/cloud space? The space that the CMA actually sited when blocking them?

One thing is certain... ...this is the kind of quote that will never die.
Yeah. The CMA decision does not really have to consider this sentiment from Spencer, because it only applies to consoles. CMA was actually probably right to put attention on cloud.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just to comment on this, both Playstaion and Xbox are due for a big show after two awful years of non-shows from sony and mediocre shows from MS. I was just talking about this with my friends last night. Fable, Everwild, State Of Decay, Avowed and Perfect Dark were revealed 3 years ago and we havent seen footage from them? If they dont all make an appearance in gameplay form this year then I am done with Xbox.

Same goes for Sony. Skipped 2021, 2022 which woudve been their E3 2015 moment. Ok, but now in 2023 if they phone in their conference with some more third party exclusives then im done. Respawn just released Star Wars after shipping the first game in november 2019. Death Stranding came out the same month and we still havent seen any gameplay for it. Days Gone came out in April 2019, and all Sony bend has shown is a fucking logo. ND shipped TLOU2 6 months after Jedi Fallen Order, and we have no idea if they are making tlou3 or a new IP.

If both Publishers dont have shows to end all shows like E3 2015 then it's time to take a break from gaming because that means the generation wont start until 2026-2028 at best.

What I want Phil to bring to E3 this year in GAMEPLAY form:
  • Fable
  • Forza
  • Perfect Dark
    Hellblade 2
  • State Of Decay 2 (must look a gen above Redfall)
  • Avowed

• Doom 3 years in development
  • Gears of War 6 3.5 years in development.
  • Elder Scrolls announced 5 years ago.

What I want from Sony - Gameplay only:
  • Spiderman 2
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Factions
  • Wolverine
  • FF7-2

• TLOU3 3 years in development
  • Ghost of Tsushima 2 3 years in development
  • Sony Bend's New IP 4 years in development
  • Cory barlog's new IP 5 years in development
Neither fanbase should be happy if they dont get these games showcased 3 years into this gen.

I was literally sat here playing apex with my mate talking on discord pretty much exactly what you are Saying.

Microsoft needs to show gameplay for games next month and provide FIRM release dates or I'm pretty much done..I'm completely fed up with the conversations and bullshit they are sporting. Show us games, running in real time and for fucks sake give us release dates. I was release dates for the second have and release dates that they commit to properly for games up until mid next year.

Show me fable, show me perfect dark, show me contraband for fucks sake, avowed, hellblade 2 with a release date....its time to commit or I'm done

Sony I would like to see a show ASAP that shows actual next gen gameplay, something new. Not spider man that will look like a flashier spider man 1. It's in the same engine. I want to see some new games, anything from the big studios but something that shows the power of the ps5 and everything Sony and cerny were talking about. We are 3 years in now, they should be able to show us something that wows us.

GHG

Gold Member
You know me I try not to take sides in war type of stuff but damn Xbox just can't get out of their own way.

This interview, sorry for the ones who view it differently, just really felt like someone who was broken and ready for a new chapter in his life.

The biggest statement for me was when he said they pay him far too much for what he does.

Like seriously, who says that in public knowing that your employers will hear it unless you want to be fired? It's an admission that you're not worthy of your pay packet.

FrankWza

I hated Sony since PS1

Those are the true facts.
The Office Lol GIF

Lies are bad.

Xbox 360:
✅️SYM GAMEPAD IS IRRELEVANT, it's a 100% a matter of taste (Also, X360 controller is far away in ergonomics than any DS2/3 version), PS3 has no vibration at DS2 announcement but got motion sensors and got vibration quickly after.
✅HDD UPGRADE

Xbox 360 was a BEAST.

PS3 was 600€ for base model, got a BR optical drive, released 1 year later and was hard to code.

Sony get back from hell with an incredible games lineup and by lowering console prices later. This made buy a PS3 at the end of this generation and as a Xbox 360 die-hard fan, that was something (I hated Sony since PS1)

Nothing I wrote was a lie. The original question was based on no exclusives and why someone would want a PS3 over a 360. Everything i wrote happened you just don't Ike that it did and ylod was not even close to rrod. And the PS3 was $500 for the base model 20gb. So you lied?

Phil's (and by extension MS's) problem is that he's so fixated on "winning".

Who really gives a shit if you "win" the console war or not? Nintendo figured this out a LONG ass time ago.

Instead of building his entire console platform strategy around trying to be the market leader, he should have been building his platform strategy around selling consoles and expanding his platform.

The console business isn't a zero-sum game. Xbox selling more consoles doesn't mean that Playstation or Nintendo sells less. Gamers have consistently shown that when given sufficient incentive, they will buy and own multiple platforms. The Wii-PS3-Xb360 generation was one of the highest of all time for total console sales for this reason; because everyone was just focused on being competitive and delivering great games.

Xbox is just not competitive. That's it. It's not giving gamers enough reason to own an Xbox as a second or 3rd console.

Buying up existing 3rd party games to make them exclusive to your platform isn't the way to convince gamers to come over to your platform. Instead, you should be spending your $70b on 350 AAA GoW-scale games, developed by first-party or FP-funded 3rd party studios, to delight gamers and make your platform a must-own.

Anyway, now that Spencer seems to be giving up, maybe he'll go full 3rd publisher and forget about console hardware. There hasn't been a need to own an Xbox for a long time now anyway.

Finally got to actually watch the interview now after work. The framing of it here was even more absurd than I expected. Honestly, I wish we could do something to promote better critical thinking and a bit more appreciation for nuance here as a forum. Its getting ridiculous.

He basically just says they think emulating Sony or Nintendo strategy won't work. They have to innovate and find their own market. And on that I think he's totally correct.

Embarrassing thread. Being sincere guys. If you ever get bored look at some old threads on here from 10 years ago. It was a lot more intellectual, and people discussed things a lot more intelligently. I'm all for jokes and short posts since we're on our phones now, but just repeatedly amplifying outrage is a great way to not get accurate or nuanced information.

I think you just don't like the conclusions others are coming to. Not that it's less intellectual

Last edited:

H-I-M

Which is PR bullsh*t and here is why in my opinion :
  • They say they're focused on GP
    • GamePass sales have plateaued already
    • Hardware sales (which is the core of GP so far) have slowed at an alarming pace
  • They say they want to reach "more players than ever"
    • Yet made Starfield an exclusive and won't release it on the PS5, which has DOUBLE the player-base of the Xbox
    • Why ? Because exclusives = more hardware sales
  • Hardware isn't the focus anymore
    • Yet released TWO version of the Xbox Series, one of which is the "most powerful" and the other one is the "cheapest"
    • Had the Series S heavily discounted during Christmas

Let's keep it real for a moment. Hardware sales and still very much important for Xbox and no amount of "we're doing things differently" will change that.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The biggest statement for me was when he said they pay him far too much for what he does.

Like seriously, who says that in public knowing that your employers will hear it unless you want to be fired? It's an admission that you're not worthy of your pay packet.

Yeah joking around with being replaced I don’t know man.

The showcase needs to be amazing.

nowhat

We don't know what he was responsible for, but if you mean games that came out under his watch, Forza, Halo, Hi-Fi Rush, Gears, Psychonauts 2, Hellblade, Cuphead (initially), I mean, there is a lot, just look up a list if you're curious.
Uhh. You're aware that the original Hellblade was a PS4 console exclusive at launch, right? As for the sequel, still waiting.

TwiztidElf

That is absolutely bewildering comments from Phil.
Their greatest success, the X360 was because of great games.

And this whole "people are locked in with their digital libraries now" comment.
MS KNEW this back when they came into the market with the OG Xbox. And they STARTED it on the X360.

He's also lowered the bar for all his first party developers...

Last edited:

Barakov

Figured this should probably have its own thread, given the implications of what Spencer is saying.

Timestamped video from Kinda Funny Xcast:

Here, Spencer basically says there's no way the Xbox can compete with Sony and Nintendo, and then goes on to say that making great games wouldn't help Xbox compete.

I find this attitude utterly baffling, and I think we're now at the point where this dude needs to step away.

Whole quote here, provided by @Heisenberg007:

JFC. Get somebody in there that's actually going to fight. Really sick of all the sadboying from this guy.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Its amazing what him and even Ybarra made as of about 2 years ago anyhow not to mention what Blizzard paid him to leave Xbox

FrankWza

I actually am totally fine with everyone having whatever opinion they want. I'm just talking about an objectively super skewed and misleading framing of what he even said.
They do this as a company. If you want to be clear about something, say it. If you want to show numbers, show them. And let's not forget, we've been seeing "we believe in generations" quoted completely out of context for 3 years. He was speaking, among other things, about dualsense. Turns out he was right

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Lies are bad.

Xbox 360:
✅️SYM GAMEPAD IS IRRELEVANT, it's a 100% a matter of taste (Also, X360 controller is far away in ergonomics than any DS2/3 version), PS3 has no vibration at DS2 announcement but got motion sensors and got vibration quickly after.
✅HDD UPGRADE

Xbox 360 was a BEAST.

PS3 was 600€ for base model, got a BR optical drive, released 1 year later and was hard to code.

Sony get back from hell with an incredible games lineup and by lowering console prices later. This made buy a PS3 at the end of this generation and as a Xbox 360 die-hard fan, that was something (I hated Sony since PS1)

Writing GAF posts like you’re selling Chinese electronics on Amazon

It's accepting reality.
Both these companies have Asia and Europe locked. Have history compared to Xbox. Have SP games that people are interested.

Xbox on other hand have MP games, which are outdated in current market and 2 racing Sims. They failed to build history with OG Xbox and X360 in terms of SP games.

All this could have been prevented, had MS invested in their first party studios during OG Xbox and X360.

No matter what Xbox does, it won't catch up to these guys now. It's better for them to look at other avenue, instead of trying to claim spot 1.

Huh? MP games are arguably the most popular games in the market today. Fortnite, GTA Online, COD, Apex Legends, Destiny 2, LOL, Counterstrike, DOTA, Smash Bros...are ALL multiplayer games.

It's not that MP games are outdated; it's that MS's MP games either aren't good or don't do enough to rise above what's on the market to carve their own space. FH5 is mainly a map expansion of FH4. Halo Infinite is a disaster. RedFall is DOA. If those games were at a level like Fortnite, COD etc. or even halfway at what those games are doing, they'd be doing a lot better in user metrics and revenue.

Sea of Thieves is doing well and it's pretty unique in the market of MP games but it's just one game and isn't enough to make up for the other games underperforming. It's not an issue of MP vs SP games, not necessarily.

This thread definitely needs a live tag. Sad times for Phil indeed.

Dude I'm like 12 pages behind I'm drowning over here xD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom