• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer admits defeat in console space, and doesn't think great games would help Xbox's market share.

dotnotbot

Kinda, yes lol. MS is famous for this shit.

Microsoft acquiring EA and then closing them down would be such a sweet satisfying revenge.

_WtyejhtBWB43hyNASxnYQDT1F2PcLhuBGi2vJf0xj8.jpg

Bernardougf

This has been exhausting.....

I think there is a good chance MS ends up in a pretty positive light by the end of the year.

Starfield doesn't need 60FPS or even a pristine performance; based on Bethesda's track record, they have been able to achieve gaming culture-defining games with Fallout and Skyrim. (this is exactly what xbox needs).

forza...it should be a great game. High 80s,
even '90s on Meta is quite feasible.

and of course Hellblade 2. the "cinematic" amazing graphics should achieve 80s on meta as well.

three big games in span of time of about 6 months.

if MS is able to do that. is going to shutdown all if this negativity.
A lot has changed since fallout and skyrim.. dont think they can pull it off with some 30 fps bug fest shit running game the same as before ... cyberpunk proved that ... wichter 3 massive huge success and than came cyberpunk

If bethesda can release a perfect bug free well oiled game lets go ... going to bet ? .. im surely wont

GHG

Gold Member
I feel sorry for Phil spencer. Theres only so much he can do. Its obvious that it's the upper Microsoft management that is the real issue. It was never just a single person like Don mattrick or Phil spencer. I think its likely that Microsoft will replace him just so they can recycle the same garbage with a new face. Don't fall for it when it happens. Or maybe, Microsoft are done and will pack it up this time. We'll have to wait and see.

I think he's in the process of being mattrick'd at the moment. He was clearly woefully unprepared for this interview, none of the responses were the usual PR pre-rehearsed highly polished answers that we've typically come to expect from him, it was raw and emotional. He was stuttering all over the place and there were huge spaces of silence between the questions and his answers.

I said it before but he was thrown to the wolves in this interview by Microsoft in the same way that mattrick was towards the end of his tenure and it's resulting in some similar soundbites. The objective is the same - make his position untenable so that when they replace him it will be met with a sense of relief by the Xbox fanbase. But make no mistake, it's going to be the same old shit repackaged with a new face. Phil even told us himself:

"I guess at some point I will have enough knocks against me that it's somebody else here" *nervous laughter*

21 minutes, 32 seconds:

The writing is on the wall.

Last edited:

Mozza

Phil does not want people to think Microsoft are a threat to the console market, now all they have to do is convince people they are not creating a monopoly in the cloud. ;)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think he's in the process of being mattrick'd at the moment. He was clearly woefully unprepared for this interview, none of the responses were the usual PR pre-rehearsed highly polished answers that we've typically come to expect from him, it was raw and emotional. He was stuttering all over the place and there were huge spaces of silence between the questions and his answers.

I said it before but he was thrown to the wolves in this interview by Microsoft in the same way that mattrick was towards the end of his tenure and it's resulting in some similar soundbites. The objective is the same - make his position untenable so that when they replace him it will be met with a sense of relief by the Xbox fanbase. But make no mistake, it's going to be the same old shit repackaged with a new face. Phil even told us himself:

"I guess at some point I will have enough knocks against me that it's somebody else here" *nervous laughter*

The writing is on the wall.

To quote Macbeth 'If it were done when tis done, then well if it were done quickly."

The guy sounds strung out, out of ideas, and out of touch with how the video games industry actually functions. It's clear they need a change of leadership as soon as possible to someone who is more keen to take the fight to Sony and Nintendo properly... and therefore make the industry better for us gamers. Having one of the major players led by someone this defeatist will only ensure complacency and anti-consumer practises from the other players. Something we're seeing even now.

Last edited:
True, makes sense. At this point, gamers really are thirsty for seeing more current-gen exclusive games. But going 1st often means the thunder gets stolen (or at least the news and media mindshare) when the other company shows their content a week or two later.

Not if you have more impressive games. In fact, it's better to go first and unveil a handful of big hitters: whoever goes next will have a hard time making a similar impact. MS will have Hellblade 2 and, I suspect, a couple of other visual bangers...
My take about all of this, is that it will be almost impossible to dethrone the PS5 at this point, regardless of the quality of MS upcoming titles (should Starfield miss the mark, it will be officially over). Phil knows it...The PS5 is already around 40 million consoles sold, with a high selling JRPG hitting in June, and a monster of a product in Spider-Man 2, scheduled for year's end...If Sony produces a showcase; if that showcase is damn strong...;and if Sony maintains the level of quality throughout its output for the remainder of the next 12-18 months, then there is nothing MS can do to change the picture.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
and therefore make the industry better for us gamers. Having one of the major players led by someone this defeatist will only ensure complacency and anti-consumer practises from the other players. Something we're seeing even now.

Honestly I don't think that's their objective and hasn't been for a long time now, their recent contributions speak volumes. Their objective is to dominate the industry no matter the cost. How are you going to acquire studios like Arkane and then treat them with such abhorrent negligence? Make it make sense.

People love to talk and cry about "anti-consumer". Well it doesn't get more anti-consumer than releasing Redfall in the state that they did, especially considering the pre-release marketing, previews, etc.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
They don't get the permission to buy Activion Blizzard.
=>
"We are small and insignificant in the gaming market and will never be able to compete with Sony or Nintendo. So please let us buy Activision/Blizzard. It will not make a difference."

This isn't logical in the slightest, especially considering the grounds upon which the deal has currently been blocked.

People made similar excuses for their 2022 release schedule and said it was them sandbagging due to the activision acquisition regulatory process - turns out that was bogus.

People made excuses for their console sales figures, saying they were purposfully not putting enough stock on the market and were sandbagging due to the activision regulatory process - bogus again.

At some point in the near future there will be no more activision regulatory process to try and blame for their actions so what then? And let me tell you, no business will purposefully make less money and devalue their own brand to such extent due to any regulatory process. If the deal doesn't go through then what? You're left with a husk of a brand that you need to scrape back up off the floor due to being in a much worse position than before you even attempted the acquisition? It makes no sense.

Haemi

People made similar excuses for their 2022 release schedule and said it was them sandbagging due to the activision acquisition regulatory process - turns out that was bogus.

People made excuses for their console sales figures, saying they were purposfully not putting enough stock on the market and were sandbagging due to the activision regulatory process - bogus again.
I agree with you on these points.

But this interview is just blablabla for me. Building sympathy.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Honestly I don't think that's their objective and hasn't been for a long time now, their recent contributions speak volumes. Their objective is to dominate the industry no matter the cost. How are you going to acquire studios like Arkane and then treat them with such abhorrent negligence? Make it make sense.

People love to talk and cry about "anti-consumer". Well it doesn't get more anti-consumer than releasing Redfall in the state that they did, especially considering the pre-release marketing, previews, etc.

Yeah, the whole Redfall debacle is pretty discgraceful. And you're right, Microsoft's actions don't speak to a company that gives a fuck about the actual games.

Which is very worrying for the future. I do not want an industry dominated by Sony. If Microsoft aren't going to make a proper effort to compete, then I hope they get out of console business, and someone with a better attitude replaces them.

Phil's conclusions stop making sense when you think more about the logistics. Comparing Microsoft to Sony, whole to whole, MS could buy and sell Sony over and over again they are so much larger and have so much more net worth.

Sony's global revenue (not profit) for FY2021 was about $88 billion. Their entire global revenue. Including all divisions.

Xbox, a division of Microsoft, just tried and failed to complete a $67.5 billion acquisition. Microsoft was prepared to spend 75% of what Sony's revenue for an entire year was just on acquiring a publisher.

There is no question to which corporation is bigger, more flush, more powerful, and overall in a much better position in the corporate landscape. Sony is excelling at one thing, gaming, which MS is also heavily engaged with but not having nearly as much success when it comes to market share and mind share.

So what Phil is saying is spending 75% of Sony's entire annual revenue on making great games for Xbox can't possibly move the needle, Xbox is a loser and nothing can change that. If you can look at the reality of those numbers and say that in public with a straight face, then you've clearly lost any passion for your brand and it's time to let someone with a can do attitude steer the ship.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I do not want an industry dominated by Sony.
Oh! I'm almost sure that eventually Microsoft will invent yet another Xbox-themed gimmick or some crazy idea, will run around it for a generation straight and will endup dead third again.

It's big tech's mentality. Just look at Meta or Google. One thing I agree on, they all don't really give a flying f about actual games. It's all about 'retention', 'conversion rates', 'consumer mindshare' and 'revenue'. Corporate buzzwords that can substitute for a good PR in your reports, like you're not that boring company that monopolized office subscriptions, but a 'fun' and 'consumer-faced' forward-thinking corporation *fake smile*. And for MS even with ATVI/MS deal in the picture, running Xbox is a pocket change compared to Azure/Office profits. So I fully expect that Xbox will endure as a corporate hobby and consumer market hardware smokescreen for years to come.

Corndog

Banned
I prefer more expensive ps stuff rather than having to buy another console, keep it hooked up and support with games.
Xbox can die already. It’s a sad twitching corpse since Xbox one days and it only reminds me of 360.
It serves nobody now to have exclusives on a failed console that nobody wants.
So another person who wants a monopoly. How sad.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So another person who wants a monopoly. How sad.
I know what monopoly means and how cocky sony would get.
But on my side here? not having to buy another box and go into another ecosystem? yeah....

Unless they really scrap everything and go back to 360 roots, I am better off with sony "monopoly"

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Colin nails it here, it is all about games.

It's like, as usual fans can not hear what he actually said. I honestly thought Colin would have heard this.

Phil said "if we had games we would not out CONSOLE Sony or Nintendo"

He is right, on that it's about games.....but a lot ofmpeople are twisting what Phil said and I'm surprised they can't actually understand what he is saying.

Last edited:

Montauk

Well, fuck this Phil. You OUGHT to be in the business of "out-consoling" Sony and Nintendo - the market desperately needs stronger competition!

Sony need a strong competitor.

Fucks sake, this is pathetic and not good for the medium of games nor for the industry.

This just shows that the Xbox One was a total and utter disaster and we're still feeling the effects of that.

Poltz

It's like, as usual fans can not hear what he actually said. I honestly thought Colin would have heard this.

He is right, on that it's about games.....but a lot ofmpeople are twisting what Phil said and I'm surprised they can't actually understand what he is saying.
Put out AAA critically acclaimed games for a generation and then talk Phil.

How are you seeing this interview as being positive for him?

I'm actually trying to understand why it was good for him which is why I'm asking for your help.

BlackTron

I think one of the issues that faces Xbox right now, is that once market share separation is so large, it becomes almost impossible to remain viable.

Even IF you put out hit after hit, it’s extremely difficult to change public perception because always remember the memes or the failures the most. Especially on the internet.

People also forget failures very quickly if something they really want shows up, even if it comes from out of nowhere. All 3 have been the laughing stock at some point or another.

Topher

Gold Member

It was a absurd tirade that had nothing to do with what was asked. Turning around the shitshow that is Xbox should be focused squarely on great games and here he is downplaying great games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Colin nails it here, it is all about games.

Exactly. It's all about games.
Nobody wants xbox or playstation just for no reason. It's for games.
wtf were they talking about if they only got to this topic 4 hours in?! I really dislike this podcast lol but they are absolutely right

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It was a absurd tirade that had nothing to do with what was asked. Turning around the shitshow that is Xbox should be focused squarely on great games and here he is downplaying great games.

No he isn't. He said they need great games. Watch the interview from start to end.

You are seeing a broken man after a tough few weeks. Guy still went on the show in pure fuck it mode.

He stated great games would not have them out console Sony and Nintendo which is true. The majority of Sony fans would just pick their games up on pc or try streaming them.

Watch Max's video watching this. Its a lot more level headed and not extremes from either camp as he plays down the middle.

Mr.Phoenix

I think the issue here is that NO ONE... except him and maybe MS, actually believes this. The truth is that I don't even think he or MS believes this.

I think the problem we or most have, is that, to begin with, having a good number of AAA games should be non-negotiable. It should be the absolute bare minimum they do. And then only after doing that and failing, can you now say, ok having all these games won't make a difference.

Maybe Xbox has forgotten, but there was a time that MS at least out-consoled Sony. That was the 360. They went from a generation they lost like 7 to 1 to a generation they only lost by 1 to 0.9. But what Sony did during that beating and stumble, was bolster and double down on what has now become Sony first party. They doubled down on the games first and foremost and that is what got them out of that rut. This for whatever reason, is something MS is just incapable of doing, they seem incapable of just focusing first and foremost on the single most important thing to any gaming platform.

And the craziest thing is, like this is the part that really baffles me and worries me about MS. Be it that you are trying to sell a console or a sub-service, or both.... the main draw should be games. Quality games. MS is already showing signs of wanting to just focus on quantity and none of the quality.... and they have not even got the trust of the industry yet. MS is leading with this whole best deal in gaming thing, or trying to wrestle relevance by cutting everyone else off at the knees. People should choose MS because they are the best, not because they make sense and don't really give you a choice.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
People also forget failures very quickly if something they really want shows up, even if it comes from out of nowhere. All 3 have been the laughing stock at some point or another.
To a point. The problem is that it hasn’t been just one or two failures. It’s been really consistent. Xbox hasn’t had a strong generation since 360. That’s two generations now. Running the table with 10/10 games for the next year won’t matter to cut into market share as a lot of people only buy 1 console and they’ve already decided on the ecosystem. That’s what he is trying to say. Great games need to come out of the gate at or close to the start of the generation, not 3 years in to get a lot of consumers. Else all you’re getting are the enthusiasts.

I agree with him in a lot of ways (don’t agree with the exclusivity agreements signed by others as contributing, that’s bs). I don’t agree he should have said that so candidly though. That’s pretty blatant.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Phil Spencer always try to paint Xbox as the underdog and the good guy. He does that for 9 years. It always a pr machine trying to say what people want to hear and hyping the future that never comes.

But his dream, like Aron dreams, Major Nelson dreams is to destroy sony and take they out of this market.

Microsoft in every market they are they don't try to compete they try to monopolize. It is a culture on the company.

graywolf323

Yep. As "honest" and "candid" as people are taking Phil to be here, it genuinely seems like he's not being honest with himself.

The fact is that Microsoft has signed just as many, if not more exclusivity deals, and some of those games actually suffered in the long or short terms for it. The 360's early lead can be credited in large part to moneyhats.

The fact is that 30% of PS5 owners did not own a PS5. That is because Sony has built up a reputation for producing great games. The idea that the "digital library" is some massive wall that can't be overcome now, and couldn't have been preempted over the last 10 years is ridiculous.
honestly it feels like Xbox has been going downhill since the trio of Ed Fries, J Allard, and finally Peter Moore left the team

everyone points at Mattrick sure but Spencer has been the head of studios and then the head of Xbox as a whole since 2008 & 2014, he’s been in charge longer than anyone else ever was at Xbox

Mr.Phoenix

Phil Spencer always try to paint Xbox as the underdog and the good guy. He does that for 9 years. It always a pr machine trying to say what people want to hear and hyping the future that never comes.

But his dream, like Aron dreams, Major Nelson dreams is to destroy sony and take they out of this market.

Microsoft in every market they are they don't try to compete they try to monopolize. It is a culture on the company.
Exactly... and you can't be the underdog because then in the space of 12 months just casually attempt to do the most dominant thing ever by spending $80B on acquisitions.

If you have money to do that, then you also had money to not just compete the same way Sony and Nintendo has been, but do it better than them.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Am I the only one that sees Valve making a SteamBox home console type thing running Linux that would pretty much show the world and MS exactly what the Xbox should always have been?

Peope talk about sony monopoly, but VAve is the company I think stands to pose the biggest threat to the current status quo.

That would absolutely be the best scenario. Valve and Uncle Gabe clearly value games and gamers far more than Microsoft. I would absolutely buy a dedicated console from them.

Sanepar

Exactly... and you can't be the underdog because then in the space of 12 months just casually attempt to do the most dominant thing ever by spending $80B on acquisitions.

If you have money to do that, then you also had money to not just compete the same way Sony and Nintendo has been, but do it better than them.
They prefer instead of create high quality triple A games try to force whole audience on their b tier content strategy.

Klosshufvud

70BILLION $$$$$
Elden ring was 200 million.
Imagine how many 200mil games you could make for that. How impossible would it be to not get xbox then.

THATS 350 ELDEN FUCKING RINGS
I really doubt ER had a budget of 200 million. Maybe that also includes its advertising. But Japanese games tend to have way smaller budgets than western games. 200m is RDR2 territory.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I really doubt ER had a budget of 200 million. Maybe that also includes its advertising. But Japanese games tend to have way smaller budgets than western games. 200m is RDR2 territory.
Yeah for sure. This is just what google said. so if we lower it to 100mil, that's 700 elden rings.
The only problem is, where will phill find 699 miyazakis

Klosshufvud

Yeah for sure. This is just what google said. so if we lower it to 100mil, that's 700 elden rings.
The only problem is, where will phill find 699 miyazakis
MSGS has a disturbingly low ratio of great directors that have risen to prominence through their studios. For the past decade, I can't name a single person. That's really interesting fact to note.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
MSGS has a disturbingly low ratio of great directors that have risen to prominence through their studios. For the past decade, I can't name a single person. That's really interesting fact to note.
It's harder to give creative directors a chance because budgets are so huge.
You can notice that big, known directors nowadays are old guys like Kojima but they all started doing this in their 20s

PeteBull

Gold Member
To be fair, the only two consoles that had a turn around due to great exclusives are the PS3 and 3DS.
Everyone else, where do I even begin.
Wii U? No dice.
Gamecube? Nuh-uh.
Dreamcast? Dream on.
OG Xbox? Go home, MS. You're drunk.
WiiU didnt have big number of great exclusives, only musthave game it had, Botw Zelda, was known to be crossgen with switch

3 other consoles u mentioned competed hard vs ps2 which was behemoth with mountains of exclusives, they werent in vacuum.
Even now tho, if u are gamer who owned/ lived durning that time u remember those systems for very specific reason- games/exclusives they had.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think the issue here is that NO ONE... except him and maybe MS, actually believes this. The truth is that I don't even think he or MS believes this.

I think the problem we or most have, is that, to begin with, having a good number of AAA games should be non-negotiable. It should be the absolute bare minimum they do. And then only after doing that and failing, can you now say, ok having all these games won't make a difference.

Maybe Xbox has forgotten, but there was a time that MS at least out-consoled Sony. That was the 360. They went from a generation they lost like 7 to 1 to a generation they only lost by 1 to 0.9. But what Sony did during that beating and stumble, was bolster and double down on what has now become Sony first party. They doubled down on the games first and foremost and that is what got them out of that rut. This for whatever reason, is something MS is just incapable of doing, they seem incapable of just focusing first and foremost on the single most important thing to any gaming platform.

And the craziest thing is, like this is the part that really baffles me and worries me about MS. Be it that you are trying to sell a console or a sub-service, or both.... the main draw should be games. Quality games. MS is already showing signs of wanting to just focus on quantity and none of the quality.... and they have not even got the trust of the industry yet. MS is leading with this whole best deal in gaming thing, or trying to wrestle relevance by cutting everyone else off at the knees. People should choose MS because they are the best, not because they make sense and don't really give you a choice.

It took Sony to do the second worst console launch presentation and launching a year before them for Microsoft to have a fighting chance with the 360.

There is a slim to none chance that Sony would make that mistake again.

But yes I completely agree and will champion that what the fuck are MS doing if they don't think games matter. I also hear what he's saying and if you watch the interview he says that games are now due to start landing after a terrible two years AND we shouldn't believe him until the controllers in our hands and we are playing great games like hi fi rush. Basically GAMES do matter.

I stand by my statement that Sony fans would rather pick up a pc if they don't already own one to play MS games than buy an xbox and that's what Phil is basically saying.

It's not about console sales for MS and it hasn't been for years.

Topher

Gold Member
No he isn't. He said they need great games. Watch the interview from start to end.

You are seeing a broken man after a tough few weeks. Guy still went on the show in pure fuck it mode.

He stated great games would not have them out console Sony and Nintendo which is true. The majority of Sony fans would just pick their games up on pc or try streaming them.

Watch Max's video watching this. Its a lot more level headed and not extremes from either camp as he plays down the middle.

I have watched it and yes, he absolutely did. I had no problem with the first part of the video. I commented while watching it that I was happy with how he addressed the Redfall issue. But I'm not going to pretend he wasn't downplaying great games at the end. He was. That's not the kind of shit I want to hear from the owner of a platform I game on. And it was entirely needless. No one asked him about console war shit. It came out of left field. He is rightfully being criticized for that.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Jesus Christ could you imagine if Reggie came out and said this or Jim Ryan.
Nintendo basically had the same conclusion. Great games weren't enough on GC. They have to push into an adjacent market. For Nintendo it was blue ocean and new input devices. For MS it is cloud. Pretty similar honestly.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I just don’t like his analogy that an amazing Starfield won’t move the needle.

Maybe pump out the next 5 major games and make them all 11/10 and watch the needle move

I always revert back to baseball.

There were teams at the start of the season you would look around the clubhouse and know we aren’t competing this year but never wanted a manager to say in front of the camera yeah my guys suck and we can’t beat the competition

Was a term called losing the clubhouse and as much as it pains me to say Phil lost a lot of the clubhouse with these statements

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I just don’t like his analogy that an amazing Starfield won’t move the needle.

Maybe pump out the next 5 major games and make them all 11/10 and watch the needle move

I always revert back to baseball.

There were teams at the start of the season you would look around the clubhouse and know we aren’t competing this year but never wanted a manager to say in front of the camera yeah my guys suck and we can’t beat the competition

Was a term called losing the clubhouse and as much as it pains me to say Phil lost a lot of the clubhouse with these statements
Exactly. Saying it won't work before even trying doesn't make any sense.

Had he released 3-4 God of War and TLOU level games consistently every year for 3-4 years and it didn't move the needle at all, then maybe Phil would have a fair point.

At this point, absolutely not.

Exactly. Saying it won't work before even trying doesn't make any sense.

Had he released 3-4 God of War and TLOU level games consistently every year for 3-4 years and it didn't move the needle at all, then maybe Phil would have a fair point.

At this point, absolutely not.

They will never release TLOU/ God of War style games though. What gives anyone that idea?

They clearly have a very different idea of what makes a game good. Has Nintendo ever made anything like that?

Bigfroth

Great games are why I got a PS5:pie_thinking:. I picked up a Series S on sale last Christmas to basically play old/new Bethesda games, stuff from Obsidian, and the upcoming Indiana Jones game, Stalker 2, The Last Night. The game I have probably played most on Xbox is Fallout 3 so far. If there weren't games in this ecosystem that I wanted to play then I wouldn't bother:pie_diana:. And no I Don't Plan on selling my PS5 lol.

Top Bottom