• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

I can't decide if I'd like sips more if I was single or not. On the one hand it would be a good opportunity to pick up chicks. On the other, there's so many bros out and about you have a lot more competition.

I can't decide if I'd like sips more if I was single or not. On the one hand it would be a good opportunity to pick up chicks. On the other, there's so many bros out and about you have a lot more competition.

I'm the best tho
We must fight the bros

Sips is bae.

Now this is more like it

so glad i got home before the storm.

also yay thunderstorm

Ya fuck that shit

I hope y'all voted to officially kill traffic court today.

Ya fuck that shit

andthebeatgoeson

http://www.phillyvoice.com/2016-primary-questions/

By a handy margin, voters supported amending the state Constitution to finally put the court out of its long-corrupt history.

With 80 percent of the vote counted statewide, unofficially, there were 1,384,972 'Yes' votes to abolish the court, and 935,725 'No' votes to leave the court in the state Constitution.

There it is. No more traffic court. There are some upset lazy fucks in Philly today. It may take them years to finally move out.

The Llama

Traffic court as we knew it has been dead for a while now, this was basically just a formality. But it's nice to see it officially gone for good.

andthebeatgoeson

Traffic court as we knew it has been dead for a while now, this was basically just a formality. But it's nice to see it officially gone for good.

Didn't know. Been out the area since 2011. I'll be sure to park anywhere when I visit in May/June.

QbadP.png

Aurizen

Media Mobilizing Project is gonna to push the City of Philadelphia to bring Google Fiber to Philly. I hope it goes somewhere.

Hey Philly Gaf just want to say when I was in your city for a few weeks I visited The Dandelion pub. Absolute top notch restaurant loved it, Philadelphia is a great city.

Hey Philly Gaf just want to say when I was in your city for a few weeks I visited The Dandelion pub. Absolute top notch restaurant loved it, Philadelphia is a great city.

Dandelion is a good spot. I was shocked how good their food was, and their bar is pretty great. Very comfy bar, it's just always crowded.

vypek

I do. Although technically I am right below Center City. Had it for about a year. Love it. Would never go back to Comcast as they are now. FIOS rolled out into huge areas of the city last summer.

I'm actually loving it too. I never hard Comcast but after all the impressions I have read and heard it sounds like a nightmare. Being stuck with only Comcast as an option would be awful.

I am intrigued by Google Fiber if it comes to this area.

esms

Another telecom megacorp that still doesn't have access to certain parts of the city.

All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up. I don't even think Philly meets Google's requirements for a fiber city.

The Llama

Genuinely think if Google Fiber wanted to come here they would be able to without a ton of resistance. I think the city wants to do whatever they can to boost the tech presence here, and having Google Fiber available would certainly help.

Also I have FiOS and love it, even if it's still crazy expensive. Shame Verizon are just cheap and have basically stopped rolling it out to new neighborhoods.

Aurizen

I just applied for my first Technical support job at the office of innovation with the city. I really hope I get in. I wanna get my feet through the door. Wish me luck! :D

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I just applied for my first Technical support job at the office of innovation with the city. I really hope I get in. I wanna get my feet through the door. Wish me luck! :D

Momentum Telecom is hiring for a Voip Support Technician. Basically if you can understand basic networking you can do it.

Also. There's a bar in Center City called "Winthorpe and Valentine". Being that the movie was made here I find that to be pretty cool.

Aurizen

Momentum Telecom is hiring for a Voip Support Technician. Basically if you can understand basic networking you can do it.

Also. There's a bar in Center City called "Winthorpe and Valentine". Being that the movie was made here I find that to be pretty cool.

Oh yeah? do you have a link for that position?

They talked about Philly Jesus on Weekend Update on SN just now. Just a short joke about him being arrested for trespassing, and how he has already forgiven them, and those who have trespassed against him.

Jesus the Kenney administration is already a joke. In four years he's going to have set the city back so much. This is ridiculous.

Ruining the OIT. Failed soda tax. Changing the wildly popular and successful Welcome America celebration. Installing a Streets Commissioner that was arrested for assault days after being given the job. So many failures in so little time. It's like he's systematically trying to undo every good thing the Nutter administration did. Except reverse stop and frisk, which he promised to do and now won't.

What's the OIC?

Edit: nm thought you meant OIT anyway haha.

Yeah, typo on my part, my bad

He also wants to cut the film office budget. The same thing where every dollar spent gives $10 back in new revenue.

Or the best part, not Kenney's fault but related, council wants to undo the wage tax cuts to raise more revenue for Kenney's proposed programs.

The Llama

I actually just read a law review article which made a compelling argument that the wage tax is unconstitutional pursuant to a 2015 SCOTUS case. I thought about bring it to my supervisors attention today actually haha.

Miker

I'm moving to Philly and decided on an apartment near the Girard BSL train station - it seemed fairly nice for the price, and I'd only be living there for a year. I know it's not the safest area, but just how wary should I be? This is my first time living on the east coast, so I can't tell if I'm overreacting about how dangerous the area is or isn't. Cue the youarealreadydead.jpg if needed.

I'm moving to Philly and decided on an apartment near the Girard BSL train station - it seemed fairly nice for the price, and I'd only be living there for a year. I know it's not the safest area, but just how wary should I be? This is my first time living on the east coast, so I can't tell if I'm overreacting about how dangerous the area is or isn't. Cue the youarealreadydead.jpg if needed.

Definitely should be weary. That area is pretty damn sketchy, but you'll be ok. I hope you drive. I'm at the Broad and Spring Garden area, which is about a couple blocks south and it's wayyy better.

You should have come closer to Center City.

Near Girard? North of south of Girard. Give me a few more details and I'll be able to give you a better idea.

Definitely should be weary. That area is pretty damn sketchy, but you'll be ok. I hope you drive. I'm at the Broad and Spring Garden area, which is about a couple blocks south and it's wayyy better.

You should have come closer to Center City.

This is not true at all depending on which side of Girard he is on.

If you're south of Girard and west of Broad Street you're in my neighborhood, Francisville. In fact, I live on Fairmount Ave near Broad Street only four blocks south of Girard. It's an extremely nice, rapidly gentrifying neighborhood and you basically have not much to worry about other than the usual keeping your wits about you.

If you're north of Girard it gets a little worse. I would say each block North of Girard progressively gets worse until you get to the Temple campus area. Since no one lives East of Broad in that area I'm assuming you're on the west side.

Anyway, if you're at like Poplar street or something you're basically my neighbor and can enjoy a great neighborhood to live in. Either way you're in a great city to live in. Just keep your wits about you, don't go outside overly late unless you have to, etc. You'll be fine. I take it you're going to Temple?

Miker

Near Girard? North of south of Girard. Give me a few more details and I'll be able to give you a better idea.

This is not true at all depending on which side of Girard he is on.

If you're south of Girard and west of Broad Street you're in my neighborhood, Francisville. In fact, I live on Fairmount Ave near Broad Street only four blocks south of Girard. It's an extremely nice, rapidly gentrifying neighborhood and you basically have not much to worry about other than the usual keeping your wits about you.

If you're north of Girard it gets a little worse. I would say each block North of Girard progressively gets worse until you get to the Temple campus area. Since no one lives East of Broad in that area I'm assuming you're on the west side.

Anyway, if you're at like Poplar street or something you're basically my neighbor and can enjoy a great neighborhood to live in. Either way you're in a great city to live in. Just keep your wits about you, don't go outside overly late unless you have to, etc. You'll be fine. I take it you're going to Temple?

I'm living on Girard, west of Broad, across from St. Joseph's prep school, and I'll be working at Hahnemann.

I'm living on Girard, west of Broad, across from St. Joseph's prep school, and I'll be working at Hahnemann.

Ok, gotcha. Yeah I think you're largely fine. You are in my neighborhood, Francisville. Francisville is bordered by Fairmount Ave, Broad Street, Girard Ave, and Corinthian Street. Philly is weird in that big streets act as weird boundaries to crime in some neighborhoods. When I moved here being on the north side of Fairmount was a bad idea, but over the years that entire neighborhood from Fairmount to Girard has become quite nice. I just wouldn't venture north of Girard at all. Because Girard is a pretty big, main street it's a fairly safe street to live on compared to some of the smaller side streets. I'm assuming you'll be taking the BSL to and from work, which is a pretty nice commute. If you're working late shifts just keep your wits about you walking from Broad to 17th or whatever and you'll be fine. Pay attention to your surroundings. There's a ton of activity around Broad and Girard at all hours because of the fast food joints right there, so I don't think it'll be that bad.

Anyway, all of the fun stuff to do in the neighborhood is going to be south and west of you. Fairmount Ave has a ton of good bars and restaurants to hang out at. There's a brand new gym at 17th and Fairmount if you're looking for a gym in the area. I recommend Vinyards cafe at 16th and Ogden as probably the nicest/closest cafe to where you'll be. They have killer crepes and good coffee. At 17th and Fairmount there is also a new brewpub that is a nice happy hour spot. There's a cool dive-ish bar called Lorraine at 15th and Brown. That's just a quick rundown of the stuff I know of near you. If you want more suggestions for stuff to do/see in the neighborhood let me know.

Top Bottom