• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

physical games are dead, long live physical games

Kupfer

For me it's Brotato Deluxe Edition and Demon Gaze Extra this week
v7ij0ZY.jpeg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Finally managed to snag a new copy of Gravity Rush Remastered at a good price (40 EUR) and luckily without that big and ugly USK logo on it. I'm supper happy as I now have both GR1 and GR2 in my collection (
Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme ). :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

That said, here are this week's new arrivals:

91bABvN.jpeg
Super beautiful your collection Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives 😃👍🏻.

Gravity Rush have the support of the comunity 😃.

Tokyo xanadu is on english?

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Update:

The ESRB version of Still Wakes the Deep for PS5 has most likely run out of print (also low print volume) and prices on ebay has started increasing a fair bit.

The PEGI physical version can still be found at or near MSRP though.

Last edited:

Impotaku

My copy of MK8 with all 6 waves of the booster pass DLC included finally arrived. Looks like nintendo finally updated the back box art to reflect that it's all on the cart now, the first ones when people were discovering the revision 002 cart they still had the text on the back that said it needed a download to get wave 6. Was worth the risk getting it from that nintendosoup store online as it indeed does contain all the DLC i decided to test it to see if it did. I deleted all my MK8 game booster pass data off my switch apart from the save data. Then put the new version in and played it till i could select a course and yup all 6 waves are in there and on the title screen it has the booster pass content ticked and when you go into the option it shows all waves are installed.
hxbn9Mj.jpg

DHCgyH6.jpg

cart serial says revision 002 just like people online were saying
ySLQW34.jpg

As you can see booster course pass is there as it has a tick next to it.
GpEzVmw.jpg

Going into it shows all the waves that are installed
2XHuUen.jpg

i put my original copy of mario kart 8 back in to see if it would run now i have deleted the booster pass data off my switch and it wont let me proceed until i download it again as it's back to it's launch version of 1.0.0
xFaXOx5.jpg

91bqYJV.jpg

So you can easily now tell if the copy of mario kart has all the dlc in this version as the back of the box now tells you.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I just got reminded by my calendar that the Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP pre-order window at LRG ends tomorrow.
I think I read somewhere that the game will also be available regularly on release, but I don't want to rely on that. I recently had to buy S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Legends of the Zone at a higher price because I missed the preorder period.

Does anyone know more about Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP, or where do you order it?

Ulysses 31

I just got reminded by my calendar that the Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP pre-order window at LRG ends tomorrow.
I think I read somewhere that the game will also be available regularly on release, but I don't want to rely on that. I recently had to buy S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Legends of the Zone at a higher price because I missed the preorder period.

Order it at LRG. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Play-asia has the Switch & PS5 JPN version which according to the description also has English subs and voices.

Killer8

Cho Aniki Collection on Switch is out December 12 and is up for pre-order on Amazon JP.

At $51 for the base game it isn't as cheap as I expected. The limited edition below is also extremely bad value at more than double the price for a CD, a few stickers and some pin badges:

Cho-Aniki-Collection_08-21-24_002-768x461.jpg

Japanese versions are up at Play-Asia

Kupfer

Order it at LRG. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Play-asia has the Switch & PS5 JPN version which according to the description also has English subs and voices.

Japanese versions are up at Play-Asia

Hmmm

Pro LRG:
I can also order Shadows of the Damned: Hella Remastered, which is listed at Play-Asia, but not available to order

Con LRG:
It's LRG
Release in December (vs. September @ Play-Asia)
55.08€ (vs. 52.40€ @ Play-Asia)

So Play-Asia it is, maybe SotD:HR will be available soon as well

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

How much did you end up paying for your copy of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Legends of the Zone? I know VGP had it in stock for a good while at 69.99 CAD + free shipping, and Amazon JP also has it in stock at a good price.

Last edited:

Kupfer

How much did you end up paying for your copy of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Legends of the Zone? I know VGP had it in stock for a good while at 69.99 CAD + free shipping, and Amazon JP also has it in stock at a good price.
54€ per copy, got 2 copies of it so it was a better shipping cost / copy ratio.
Got the games from a (private?) Japanese seller on ebay, was out of stock everywhere else I looked and I don't use Amazon.
I mean it is not TOO expensive for what it is, but it was cheaper at play-asia IIRC

September will be a nice month; from what I've already ordered :

Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP
Tomb Raider 1-2-3 Remastered Deluxe Edition
Cocoon

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

54€ per copy, got 2 copies of it so it was a better shipping cost / copy ratio.
Got the games from a (private?) Japanese seller on ebay, was out of stock everywhere else I looked and I don't use Amazon.
I mean it is not TOO expensive for what it is, but it was cheaper at play-asia IIRC

September will be a nice month; from what I've already ordered :

Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP
Cocoon
Oh, you got those two Stalker copies at a good price still.

BTW, I think the Tomb Raider Trilogy Remastered Deluxe Edition for Europe has been delayed to October since I've received earlier this week an email from the video game retailer I ordered the game from asking me if I'm okay with keeping my pre-order since the release date has been pushed back.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Oh, you got those two Stalker copies at a good price still.

BTW, I think the Tomb Raider Trilogy Remastered Deluxe Edition for Europe has been delayed to October since I've received earlier this week an email from the video game retailer I ordered the game from asking me if I'm okay with keeping my pre-order since the release date has been pushed back.
You're right, I just checked.
In my order-history it's still September, on the product page it says Release 18.10.2024

Damn, October will be packed :D

Alan Wake 2
Scorn
Jusant

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I try to get most Switch games physical (not the Limited Run crap) since the games are usually on the cart and doesn't take much HD space. I reserve that for smaller games and indies.

Physical games:
Just got Cygni on XSX
Valiant on XSX
Balan Wonderworld on Switch (I know)
Cat Quest 3 on Switch
World Championship NES edition on Switch
Gloomhaven on Switch
Star Ocean Second Story R on Switch
Sea of Stars on Switch
Unicorn Overlord on Switch (got the collectors edition on XSX previously)

Preordered physical versions of Star Wars Outlaws (XSX), Astrobot (PS5), Halloween and Ash vs Evil Dead (Switch), Metaphor (XSX), Dragon Age Veilguard (XSX), Wildermyth (Switch)

EDIT: will get the physical version of Legacy of Kain collection on Evercade. I want to support it as I love the original Blood Omen LOK on PS1 (not Soul Reaver so much). I'm sure they will come to other consoles, but they are not remasters really. But still nice to have available readily, even though I have the original LOK on PS1.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

You're right, I just checked.
In my order-history it's still September, on the product page it says Release 18.10.2024

Damn, October will be packed :D

Alan Wake 2
Scorn
Jusant
Oh man, pls don't remind me. My wallet is already crying. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

So far I have these on pre-order (locally):

September
  • Ace Attorney Investigations Collection (Switch)
  • The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe (Switch)
  • Cocoon (PS5)
  • Yars Rising (Switch)
  • Balatro - Special Edition (Switch)
  • Indika (PS5)
  • Astro Bot (PS5)
October
  • Tomb Raider I-III Remastered - Deluxe Edition (PS5)
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio (PS5)
  • Life is Strange: Double Exposure (PS5)
  • Alan Wake 2 Deluxe Edition (PS5)
I'm also planning on getting Jusant from VGP and several more imports from Japan.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Here's my latest arrivals (just these two for now, but more are on the way):
  • Still Wakes the Deep, which I already played on Series X via Game Pass, but I wanted to own a hard copy since I enjoyed my time with it.
  • And the second pick-up of this past week is Star Ocean 5. I started my playthrough via PS+ Extra on PS5, but it's leaving soon, so I decided to grab a physical copy since I probably won't finish it by the time it leaves PS+.
tAd9rh9.jpeg

dotnotbot

Finally managed to snag a new copy of Gravity Rush Remastered at a good price (40 EUR) and luckily without that big and ugly USK logo on it. I'm supper happy as I now have both GR1 and GR2 in my collection (
Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme ). :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

That said, here are this week's new arrivals:

91bABvN.jpeg

Seems like Gravity Rush finally got new copies printed since logo on the strip is new (PlayStation instead of PS4)

Just received two new orders today. The first one was the Amazon JP order I mentioned that I've placed earlier this week, and the other one was from VGP with a couple of North American imports, including an LRG release (e.g. Quake 2).

QCAJUMW.jpeg

Wasn’t aware Quake II even had a physical version on PS5.

I’ve still got the original on PS1 which, considering the age of the hardware, is bloody impressive on a technical level.

Controls take a bit of getting used to, even on Dual Shock, even though it’s not the same as the PC version it’s a really good conversion for the time.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

PEGI physical editon of ANNO: Mutationem incoming! 👀 I've wanted to grab the Asian multi-language release from PlayAsia for ages, but I never pulled the trigger on it since other Asian and Japanese titles had priority. Glad I'll finally be able to grab this one locally!

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Wasn’t aware Quake II even had a physical version on PS5.

I’ve still got the original on PS1 which, considering the age of the hardware, is bloody impressive on a technical level.

Controls take a bit of getting used to, even on Dual Shock, even though it’s not the same as the PC version it’s a really good conversion for the time.
It was released last year through LRG, but I missed the pre-order window. Lucky, VGP (a Canadian video game retailer which has partnership with LRG), received their shipment a few months ago, so I managed to snag a copy through them.

Anyway, I think the standard edition is still in stock at VGP if you want to grab one one - https://videogamesplus.ca/search?type=article,page,product&q=quake*+II*

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Nice loot today!
JmqJUMH.jpeg
Did you by any chance unseal your copy? If so, can you please check if it has the DLC on the disc? I had to cancel my pre-order because I saw an early report that the PEGI physical release for PS5 comes without updates, and most importantly without the Echoes of the Eye expansion...

protonion

Did you by any chance unseal your copy? If so, can you please check if it has the DLC on the disc? I had to cancel my pre-order because I saw an early report that the PEGI physical release for PS5 comes without updates, and most importantly without the Echoes of the Eye expansion...

I just installed the game. The disc installed version 1 and there was an update 1.002.001 that I stopped.
However after booting the game, in the title screen v 1.1.13 is mentioned.

After applying the update, the title screen mentions v 1.1.15.

No idea about the dlc.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

I just installed the game. The disc installed version 1 and there was an update 1.002.001 that I stopped.
However after booting the game, in the title screen v 1.1.13 is mentioned.

After applying the update, the title screen mentions v 1.1.15.

No idea about the dlc.
Thanks for testing. This confirms, at minimum, that they shipped this physical version with the old PS5 build of the game on the disc, which doesn't include all the updates. Man, they screwed this one up so badly, especially since they delayed this physical version twice (been waiting since I pre-ordered this back in March, and I’ve gotten two emails about the release being pushed back).

I was really looking forward to picking this one up, but I'll wait a bit to see what the publisher (Annapurna Interactive) has to say about this whole situation and how they plan on fixing it.

Edit: Annapurna & iam8bit is looking into it.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

PEGI physical editon of ANNO: Mutationem incoming! 👀 I've wanted to grab the Asian multi-language release from PlayAsia for ages, but I never pulled the trigger on it since other Asian and Japanese titles had priority. Glad I'll finally be able to grab this one locally!

Awesome news. I have this game on my wishlist but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'll be sure to grab the physical copy now. Game looks excellent.

protonion

Thanks for testing. This confirms, at minimum, that they shipped this physical version with the old PS5 build of the game on the disc, which doesn't include all the updates. Man, they screwed this one up so badly, especially since they delayed this physical version twice (been waiting since I pre-ordered this back in March, and I’ve gotten two emails about the release being pushed back).

I was really looking forward to picking this one up, but I'll wait a bit to see what the publisher (Annapurna Interactive) has to say about this whole situation and how they plan on fixing it.

Edit: Annapurna & iam8bit is looking into it.

I can confirm now the dlc is not in my copy.....

I will trade it on Monday. They may offer the dlc but it is not enough imo.
The game is fantastic, I will try to get a correct disc in future. Switch is not acceptable at 30 fps.

Impotaku

Been doing my weekly trawl of amazon japans preorder section and i found some surprising releases coming in the 38 pages of titles. My heart skipped a beat when i saw this one i have been wishing for years for Chicory to be granted a physical release and it's getting one better as superdeluxe are doing a nice edition for it, out dec 12th
EJ0mxFP.jpg

Also the currently digital only Deguchi 8 is also getting a physical it's currently on amazon as well comes with the other game as a double pack.
X5H7Y2K.jpg

devs need to chill in october and november i have almost 20 games preordered it's like everything is coming out in these 2 months lol my poor credit card.

Deerock71

That was one I was unwilling to leave to chance, so I caved and ordered it.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Been doing my weekly trawl of amazon japans preorder section and i found some surprising releases coming in the 38 pages of titles. My heart skipped a beat when i saw this one i have been wishing for years for Chicory to be granted a physical release and it's getting one better as superdeluxe are doing a nice edition for it, out dec 12th
EJ0mxFP.jpg

Also the currently digital only Deguchi 8 is also getting a physical it's currently on amazon as well comes with the other game as a double pack.
X5H7Y2K.jpg

devs need to chill in october and november i have almost 20 games preordered it's like everything is coming out in these 2 months lol my poor credit card.
Excellent find my man with that SuperDeluxe Chichory physical release. I've added it to my wishlist on Amazon JP and will probably gonna pre-order it closer to its release.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

I can confirm now the dlc is not in my copy.....

I will trade it on Monday. They may offer the dlc but it is not enough imo.
The game is fantastic, I will try to get a correct disc in future. Switch is not acceptable at 30 fps.
That sucks, dude. I did some more digging, and it looks like the ESRB release for PS5 is misprinted as well, so that's major fuckup from both @A_I and @iam8bit. Not sure if they plan on doing a proper reprint since it will cost them a lot of $$$, but apparently the publisher acknowledged the mistake and will offer the DLC separately (e.g. digital code), if affected customers contact them via email with proof of purchase, etc.

Now, there's also an upcoming NSW and PS5 physical release for Outer Wilds Archaeologist Edition in Japan which releases on October 24. It looks like this one will be handled by a different distributor, Happinet Indie Collection. If they don't reprint the PEGI release, I might just go ahead and grab the CERO release since it supports English, and hopefully, this one comes with both the updates and the DLC on the disc.

Still, I'm bummed out about this whole thing since Outer Wilds is one of my favorite games of the past 5 years, and I really wanted the game to include the DLC on the disc.

wo8Qxno.png

Update: Official statement on the screw up from iam8bit:

Last edited:
I've always had plans to play Pokemon Let's Go in Japanese. I found someone locally selling a used Japanese Eevee bundle with the Pokeball Plus for an excellent price, so I bought it. It was about half the price of the equivalent used North American bundle. I guess no one is interested in the Japanese version despite the fact that it is region-free and you can play it in English? Their loss.

The Pokeball Plus is essentially a joycon, plus you can store Pokemon inside and walk around with the ball to earn XP for that Pokemon. The ball originally includes a Mew stored inside, which you cannot otherwise find in-game. The mew is a one time redemption per Pokeball, so any used Pokeballs you find will not have the Mew...

...except this one does! What the hell? Someone bought this bundle, opened and played the game, but didn't take out the Mew? You can't even put another Pokemon inside the ball until you redeem the Mew. I wonder if they even used the ball controller at all? This is an awesome find. The Pokeball Plus with Mew itself normally sells for more than I paid for this bundle.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Also, more bad news for European physical game collectors of AA and indie titles. It looks like Wired Productions will no longer distribute their upcoming titles through European retailers due to 'challenges in the retail landscape.' So from now on, their published games in the EU and UK, starting with Gori: Cuddly Carnage, will be exclusively distributed through their online store (Asia and NA are unaffected by this change). They're also charging €15 for shipping within continental Europe; like, tf is up with that when most their games are usually in the €30 price range!?

GWPaVWoW0AAGF2d

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That sucks, dude. I did some more digging, and it looks like the ESRB release for PS5 is misprinted as well, so that's major fuckup from both @A_I and @iam8bit. Not sure if they plan on doing a proper reprint since it will cost them a lot of $$$, but apparently the publisher acknowledged the mistake and will offer the DLC separately (e.g. digital code), if affected customers contact them via email with proof of purchase, etc.

Now, there's also an upcoming NSW and PS5 physical release for Outer Wilds Archaeologist Edition in Japan which releases on October 24. It looks like this one will be handled by a different distributor, Happinet Indie Collection. If they don't reprint the PEGI release, I might just go ahead and grab the CERO release since it supports English, and hopefully, this one comes with both the updates and the DLC on the disc.

Still, I'm bummed out about this whole thing since Outer Wilds is one of my favorite games of the past 5 years, and I really wanted the game to include the DLC on the disc.

wo8Qxno.png

Update: Official statement on the screw up from iam8bit:

So fucking disappointing. Did literally NO ONE check what version they sent off for printing? Not a single person did a single second of QA on this shit?

StereoVsn

I've always had plans to play Pokemon Let's Go in Japanese. I found someone locally selling a used Japanese Eevee bundle with the Pokeball Plus for an excellent price, so I bought it. It was about half the price of the equivalent used North American bundle. I guess no one is interested in the Japanese version despite the fact that it is region-free and you can play it in English? Their loss.

The Pokeball Plus is essentially a joycon, plus you can store Pokemon inside and walk around with the ball to earn XP for that Pokemon. The ball originally includes a Mew stored inside, which you cannot otherwise find in-game. The mew is a one time redemption per Pokeball, so any used Pokeballs you find will not have the Mew...

...except this one does! What the hell? Someone bought this bundle, opened and played the game, but didn't take out the Mew? You can't even put another Pokemon inside the ball until you redeem the Mew. I wonder if they even used the ball controller at all? This is an awesome find. The Pokeball Plus with Mew itself normally sells for more than I paid for this bundle.

That is a really good find. I have the US version of the game I got for kids years ago, but now I am going to look at Yahoo Auctions or eBay for the bundle! 😅

Top Bottom