• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Picross 3D |OT| Finding Your Sculpture in Your Block of Numbers

Finally got through the game! Some of the final puzzles were really hard. And long. Now I just have to go back and get enough stars for the ones I didn't get enough stars for the first time around. Plus there are the DLC puzzles. I really need to add up my times to get an idea of how long I've spent on this game so far. I bet it's a lot. How many hours would you guys guess you've spent on this game so far?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
cooljeanius said:
How many hours would you guys guess you've spent on this game so far?
a lot. game is a contender for handheld game of the generation for me, including in terms of play time.

deadnoob

How many total puzzles are in this game? I've been playing every night since I got it and I'm surprised by the amount of content. And as mentioned, there are the DLC levels (which i think there are about 100-150 by now).

I kind of feel bad only paying $10 for this game at Best Buy.

One frustration, that isn't the games fault, is that my touchscreen is off a little toward the bottom and every now and then I'll break away the wrong block and have to start over for 3 stars.

ampere

I put a lot of time into the first Picross, and I did not realize this one was out! :O

Gotta grab this soon

tabsina

ciaossu said:
I put a lot of time into the first Picross, and I did not realize this one was out! :O

Gotta grab this soon

Same here, I'll be grabbing this one soon..

I was planning on finishing the original first, but I think I only got level 8 or something

Ranger X

This game must be criminally underplayed (just like Picross DS).
It's a fantastic game and one of the most addictive game I've ever played in my life. This really is my type of puzzle games!

Gah, adding up units of time is such a pain. The only way I could think to do it was to use Excel, and even there, I had to enter everything in hh:mm:ss format, even if I set it to display as mm:ss (which is what all the game times were). Anyway, I've spent at least 52 hours, 58 minutes, and 32 seconds on Picross 3D. It's "at least" because adding up the best times ignores repeated puzzles. I wish this game had a proper in game clock...

deadnoob said:
One frustration, that isn't the games fault, is that my touchscreen is off a little toward the bottom and every now and then I'll break away the wrong block and have to start over for 3 stars.
Have you tried recalibrating the touchscreen? It's under the DS's system settings.

I couldn't find the Picross DS (2D) thread, so I guess I'll post here.

It appears that you can no longer download puzzles for the 2D DS picross.

I just tried to download another pack today and it gave me an error message saying the game no longer supports wifi. :(

I know the game has hundred of puzzles and I have a ton already downloaded, but I was trying to get every nintendo themed puzzle off of the classic puzzle service before they shut it down.

I was too late. :.(

Rodney McKay said:
I couldn't find the Picross DS (2D) thread, so I guess I'll post here.

It appears that you can no longer download puzzles for the 2D DS picross.

I just tried to download another pack today and it gave me an error message saying the game no longer supports wifi. :(

I know the game has hundred of puzzles and I have a ton already downloaded, but I was trying to get every nintendo themed puzzle off of the classic puzzle service before they shut it down.

I was too late. :.(
Sweet Jesus Nooooooooo! Goddammit that sucks.

Also it is pretty much criminal that the OT for one of the best puzzle games period has less than a hundred posts in it. ;_;

BooJoh

Don't panic, apparently all WFC games (including the likes of AC:CF and Pokemon Platinum) were giving this error earlier. Even now I keep getting a "heavy traffic or WFC is down" error in my games.

Salsa

Well since apparently i havent posted in this thread:

I love this game with all my heart. love it. Id even dare to say it is the best puzzle game on the DS, and thats saying something. Makes me sad to see that not many people care about it.

Puzzle league and Tetris DS are up there

nny

Brilliant game. I loved Picross DS, and they managed to keep the magic with the switch to 3D. Finished the game this past weekend after many, many hours...and I still have the downloadable puzzles to check. Regarding the last puzzles of the game, I would have prefered if this game did the same as Picross DS in that the Hard levels had no time limits. Being rushed diminishes my enjoyment of this kind of games (and makes me throw some guesses to try to save some time...I'm looking at you, final puzzle).

Everyone should give this game a try.

A few weeks ago I finished all the puzzles. This game is the best value for my dollar I've gotten out of a DS game aside from Picross DS and Advance Wars: Dual Strike. I'm still having lots of fun making my own puzzles and downloading new ones, too. The puzzle-making competitions are a great way to come up with even more quality puzzles for people to download and play.

My only complaints: I want even more puzzles, the puzzles never got quite as hard as they did in Picross DS, the limited number of "decals" in puzzle creation mode is disappointing, and the mascot character is obnoxious and even a bit disturbing (and I made a puzzle expressing my dislike of the mascot, so it's all good). This is about as good as it gets in portable gaming, and it's only $20 brand-new.

Now the long wait for another Picross title :(

vermadas

nny said:
Brilliant game. I loved Picross DS, and they managed to keep the magic with the switch to 3D. Finished the game this past weekend after many, many hours...and I still have the downloadable puzzles to check. Regarding the last puzzles of the game, I would have prefered if this game did the same as Picross DS in that the Hard levels had no time limits. Being rushed diminishes my enjoyment of this kind of games (and makes me throw some guesses to try to save some time...I'm looking at you, final puzzle).

Everyone should give this game a try.

Agreed. The bold is my only nitpick I have with the game. I am still only halfway through hard mode or so, but the last couple levels I missed enough stars where I couldn't unlock the gold puzzle. Sometimes you just need to make one particular logic deduction to move forward with a puzzle and if you dawdle too long trying to find it or trying to figure it out the time limit punishes you. I will probably go back later and redo some of the puzzles to get the gold unlocks but it's kind of annoying.

Brilliant game otherwise. Probably my favorite DS game.

DarkPanda

I'm still on Easy (level 9), but I don't see how you can say that you never have to guess with some of these puzzles. I've already had quite a few puzzles where I had to guess based on the shape of the existing marked blocks, because I couldn't be 100% sure of which block to break based on the numbers alone. Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

aaaaaa

DarkPanda said:
I'm still on Easy (level 9), but I don't see how you can say that you never have to guess with some of these puzzles. I've already had quite a few puzzles where I had to guess based on the shape of the existing marked blocks, because I couldn't be 100% sure of which block to break based on the numbers alone. Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

Circle = two groups of colored blocks, square = three or more.

nny

DarkPanda said:

I just took some guesses in the final puzzles because of the time limit. Until then I never had to guess, so yes, you're probably missing something. Actually, I made a point of never guessing even when the shape uncovered was suggesting which blocks could be removed next. If you think it through carefully you'll see you won't need to guess; sometimes the solution is not that obvious, but finding it is the fun part!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
SalsaShark said:
Well since apparently i havent posted in this thread:

I love this game with all my heart. love it. Id even dare to say it is the best puzzle game on the DS, and thats saying something. Makes me sad to see that not many people care about it.
ditto. only that in my case it's easily the best puzzle game of the generation for me. despite all the little technical flows (the gimbal lock in the controls being the biggest one), the game is everything i could ever want from a puzzle game.

this game, a handful of dsiware gems and korg ds-10 pretty much define this generation for me.

love your avatar

DarkPanda

aaaaaa said:
Circle = two groups of colored blocks, square = three or more.

Thank you Captain Obvious. I'm talking about times when I have a choice of 2 or more blocks and as far as I can tell both are equally valid. I've tried re-playing old puzzles where I can remember this occurring, but so far I've been able to re-do them all w/o issues. If I find one again I'll make a point of posting it here.

Swordian

DarkPanda said:
Thank you Captain Obvious. I'm talking about times when I have a choice of 2 or more blocks and as far as I can tell both are equally valid. I've tried re-playing old puzzles where I can remember this occurring, but so far I've been able to re-do them all w/o issues. If I find one again I'll make a point of posting it here.

I've three-starred every puzzle. You never need to guess.

Sorry to bring this thread back up but Hard 7-G (the
ferris wheel
) is killing me. I've loaded it up about 10 times and always get stuck. Did anyone else resort to guessing or looking up the solution?

Grimm Fandango said:
Sorry to bring this thread back up but Hard 7-G (the
ferris wheel
) is killing me. I've loaded it up about 10 times and always get stuck. Did anyone else resort to guessing or looking up the solution?
Well I just retried that puzzle and did worse than my previous time, so I don't really know what to tell you... the only time I messed up with that one though was when I was going too fast, so it's definitely possible to do it without guessing. I didn't have any where I had to guess until Hard 10, or at least that's where I remember having to guess the most. Some GAFers said they never had to guess at all, though... it varies from person to person.

cooljeanius said:
Well I just retried that puzzle and did worse than my previous time, so I don't really know what to tell you... the only time I messed up with that one though was when I was going too fast, so it's definitely possible to do it without guessing. I didn't have any where I had to guess until Hard 10, or at least that's where I remember having to guess the most. Some GAFers said they never had to guess at all, though... it varies from person to person.

I'm going to try it again. If I get stumped, hell I might post pics because this puzzle is irking me.

I decided to get the original first and LOVED it. Couldn't stop playing. Beat it and got 3D, and I was actually a little disappointed.

For one thing, the controls aren't exactly the same, where I still (over 100 puzzles in) have to make sure I'm pressing the correct direction on the d-pad to either break or mark. Another problem I have so far with 3D vs. the first one is that with the first one you had a pretty good idea what the picture was as you were making it, or at least by the time you were finished. With 3D they make a blob of blocks into a picture/thing only by the way they color the blocks when you beat it and I have no idea what I just made most of the time.

That being said, I still have a lot of fun with 3D, and would recommend it to anyone who likes puzzle games. I just prefer the original picross over the 3D version.

meppi

Had the same thing happen to me as with Picross DS.

When I first got the game, I didn't like it that much.
Didn't understand the love this game got, so I put it aside thinking it was way to easy for me to be enjoyable.
A couple of months later I gave it another go since I was bored and wanted to play a puzzle game.
Got past the easy puzzles and into the medium ones and fell in love.
Perhaps that's a bit of an understatement as it became somewhat of a passion.
I even bought 2 Japanese copies and another Pal one so I could download and save all the special puzzles without having to delete any. :)

Bought Illust Logic on the DS soon after on import.

When I got Picross 3D I tried it out and didn't really like the graphical touches, nor did I think the whole 3D thing worked nearly as well as the 2D ones.
So I put it aside.
A couple of months later I decided to give it another go as I remembered what had happened to Picross DS and was hoping this would be the case with Picross 3D as well.
To my surprise I fell for the same trap.
The easy puzzles at the beginning aren't fun at all and the tutorial is a drag, but once you get past the first couple of levels and start getting the hang of how it works in 3D it's soooooooooooooooooooo addictive.

Not sure if it's better that the 2D one, but who cares. It's different and incredible in it's own way.
I can't wait to get Picross 3DS even though I'm sure I can spend another year on Picross 3D without any trouble. :D
Just downloaded a bunch of puzzles and filled up the my picross section.
I love how they seem to be mostly very large puzzles as I was afraid it would be a bunch of 5x5x5 puzzles for the most part.

jepense said:
On both the second-from-top and third-from-bottom row, you can paint one cube.

Oh fuck now I see it. Paint the second cube on the second-from-top row and the fifth cube on the third-from-bottom row. Dammit dammit dammit.

I think I would have picked this up easier if it was in 2D >_>

Thank you very much gentlemen.

So now that this thread has been bumped, I'd like to take this opportunity to complain about some of the puzzles that have been winning the contests. The people judging the contests must not be the same people as the people who designed the puzzles for the main game, as there's a big difference in their quality. Some of the contest winners don't seem to understand the principle of concision in game design. Some of them will stick 2 or more rows of empty blocks between their main object and a floating object when they could've moved it closer and saved a lot of tedium. Well at least it makes me appreciate the design of the main puzzles more...

cnet128

Banned
SalsaShark said:
SapientWolf said:
Should I get the previous version first or just skip it and go straight into Picross 3D?
ideally both, but 3D is much better.
Lies! Picross 3D may be more unique and more fleshed-out with all the descriptions and animations, but as a fundamental puzzle mechanic, standard 2D Picross is still superior, and Picross DS is the best implementation of standard Picross on anything ever.

Both games are absolutely worth it, but if you asked me to recommend just one, it would have to be the original Picross DS every time.

ChaChaChaChia said:
Another problem I have so far with 3D vs. the first one is that with the first one you had a pretty good idea what the picture was as you were making it, or at least by the time you were finished. With 3D they make a blob of blocks into a picture/thing only by the way they color the blocks when you beat it and I have no idea what I just made most of the time.
Oddly enough, I have completely the opposite experience. With 2D Picross, I find myself concentrating on the actual puzzle to the extent that I don't actually notice the image until it's completed. With 3D Picross, I find there's much more of an element of watching the final product gradually emerge. (...Though yes, some of them can be pretty obtuse until they're coloured. But even then it's a case of "oh, so that's what that was!" rather than "puzzle finished... Oh look, there's a picture!")

Glix

I got this game as a gift last night.

What an under the radar dish of awesomeness. I did, like, 30 puzzles. So good.

1224100017.jpg

... And that's all the game does for you :/

Oh well, on to the DLC.

edbrat

only just weening myself off fieldrunners and I get this, what the fuck have i done?!

does anyone know this title that popped into my head when playing this? I remember reading an EG review it was a DS game, 2D grid, numbers in the grid, some kind of puzzle. EG loved it but back then (2 years at least I think) it was Japan only, was part of a series of games but I cannot remember what it was called.

LosDaddie

Banned
Got this for my wife for Christmas and she absolutely loves it. Plays it almost every night.

QUestion: How is the DLC? Is there a lot of it? Is it quality stuff?

My wife says she's not close to finishing the game yet, but I'd like to know what to tell her to expect when she does.

edbrat

edbrat said:
does anyone know this title that popped into my head when playing this? I remember reading an EG review it was a DS game, 2D grid, numbers in the grid, some kind of puzzle. EG loved it but back then (2 years at least I think) it was Japan only, was part of a series of games but I cannot remember what it was called.

eh just remembered, Slitherlink, now to hunt it down!

Struct09

LosDaddie said:

My wife says she's not close to finishing the game yet, but I'd like to know what to tell her to expect when she does.

There's tons of DLC. You can keep 240 DLC puzzles at any time, and I always have to clear out the fridge before downloading more.

Nintendo's DLC puzzles are great. The users' puzzles are alright, it's all definitely worth checking out.

LosDaddie said:
It varies. The Nintendo-created stuff is about the same quality as the main game, but the user-submitted stuff is usually crap. I swear, the people who judge contest submissions must not be the same people that did the puzzle design for the same game, because a lot of the stuff that "wins" is usually bigger than it needs to be, has more rows of empty blocks than it needs to have, and generally doesn't look as good as Nintendo's stuff.

LosDaddie

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
*Picross3d Master.jpg*

... And that's all the game does for you :/

Oh well, on to the DLC.

I emailed that pic to my wife and she about lost her shit. "That's...that's impossible" were her words. :lol

Struct09 said:
There's tons of DLC. You can keep 240 DLC puzzles at any time, and I always have to clear out the fridge before downloading more.

Nintendo's DLC puzzles are great. The users' puzzles are alright, it's all definitely worth checking out.

cooljeanius said:
It varies. The Nintendo-created stuff is about the same quality as the main game, but the user-submitted stuff is usually crap. I swear, the people who judge contest submissions must not be the same people that did the puzzle design for the same game, because a lot of the stuff that "wins" is usually bigger than it needs to be, has more rows of empty blocks than it needs to have, and generally doesn't look as good as Nintendo's stuff.

Thanks, guys. 240 DLC puzzles sounds like a lot. She will be happy to hear, I'm sure.

edbrat

music winds me up, blocky things don't actually look like what the game says they are, menus are horrible and blocky and there are primary colours everywhere. There are no rewards besides completion and I cannot stop playing the fucking thing godamnit.

edbrat said:
music winds me up, blocky things don't actually look like what the game says they are, menus are horrible and blocky and there are primary colours everywhere. There are no rewards besides completion and I cannot stop playing the fucking thing godamnit.

music is really annoying, that's true.

Top Bottom