• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Melchiah

cMdsszh.jpg

EDIT: Pressure tank of the Variable Density Tunnel at the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company, Hampton, VA. Photograph courtesy Northrop-Grumman Shipbuilding-Newport News (February 3, 1922). The tank was shipped by barge to NACA, now NASA Langley Research Center, in June 1922.

i6G753U.jpg

Guide vanes in the 19-foot Pressure Wind Tunnel at Langley Aeronautical Laboratory, National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, form an ellipse 33 feet high and 47 feet wide. The 23 vanes force the air to turn corners smoothly as it rushes through the giant passages. If vanes were omitted, the air would pile up in dense masses along the outside curves, like water rounding a bend in a fast brook. Turbulent eddies would interfere with the wind tunnel tests, which require a steady flow of fast, smooth air. (March 15, 1950)

khPpUoI.jpg

Looking down the throat of the world’s largest tunnel, 40 by 80 feet, located at Ames Aeronautical Laboratory, Moffett Field, California. The camera is stationed in the tunnel’s largest section, 173 feet wide by 132 feet high. Here at top speed the air, driven by six 40-foot fans, is moving about 35 to 40 miles per hour. The rapid contraction of the throat (or nozzle) speeds up this air flow to more than 250 miles per hour in the oval test section, which is 80 feet wide and 40 feet high. The tunnel encloses 900 tons of air, 40 tons of which rush through the throat per second at maximum speed. (1947)

Melchiah

http://elitedaily.com/envision/this...emed-rooms-and-could-be-yours-for-35-million/
This Absurd Mansion Features Star Trek-Themed Rooms And Could Be Yours For $35 Million

It may not look like it from the exterior, but this eight-bedroom, 16-bathroom Florida mansion is heaven on earth for all serious “Star Trek” fans. The home’s owner and creative mastermind is former CEO of FriendFinder, Marc Bell, but it can be all yours for a modest asking price of $35 million.

While the majority of trekkies in the world may not have that much money to throw around, the custom home is still a spectacle to behold. The mansion has multiple “Star Trek”-themed rooms, but the most intriguing feature may be the detailed recreation of the Starship Enterprise, which serves as the home’s entertainment room.
More pics in the link.

4inByo3.png
qeDHdJT.png

KeKoCtY.png
huauVlW.png

yhJy8eL.png
VAZuWbt.png

Coreda

kO2TQyj.jpg

From the Martyred Saints series by Toby de Silva, taken of skeletal saints arrayed in ornate garments located within a cathedral in Eastern Germany. First thought this was a painting.

Pro

The 15 largest known active predators, extinct or alive.

R49AeIj.jpg

The titanosaur found in Argentina is now the largest known dinosaur. The Argentinosaur was before that. I would think a normal Brontosaurus or Brachiosaurus would be larger than a Spinosaurus even.

Melchiah

The titanosaur found in Argentina is now the largest known dinosaur. The Argentinosaur was before that. I would think a normal Brontosaurus or Brachiosaurus would be larger than a Spinosaurus even.

None of them are predators though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatosaurus
By the late 20th century it was discovered that the Brontosaurus was actually not a real dinosaur as it had the bones of different dinosaurs.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
kO2TQyj.jpg

From the Martyred Saints series by Toby de Silva, taken of skeletal saints arrayed in ornate garments located within a cathedral in Eastern Germany. First thought this was a painting.

I remember seeing the whole set of these once. Awesome.

tsar%20bom%20explosion.jpg

The Tsar Bomba explosion. The most powerful weapon ever made.

I don't want to nitpick but I'm pretty sure there's no such (published?) footage of the Tsar bomb.
In fact, I recognize that image to be an earlier shot of one of my desktop backgrounds:
f3ulTMd.jpg

It's the French nuclear test Licorne in French Polynesia.

Obviously not your fault when that site labels it like that...

I think the video footage here is all that was released from the Tsar bomb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9AMtUeyDP0

Top Bottom