• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics That Make You Laugh |OT| Memes Galore

DD

W6MFFRb.jpg

Okay, we should stop posting about Finland. It's getting old.

FoxSpirit

In Finland we have big buildings where people can get food in exchange for currency (don't ask, it's complicated) and we're all fat here.

tarra_takalasissa2.jpg
Seriously, one day I wanna go to Finland. People from there I met are chill. Okay, and drunk. But that may be our cheap alcohol.

After 2 bottles of wine I am a bit drunk. I wanna meet this bunny. I will be angry if you are a ferret.

Fewr

I found this idea of a meme stock market amusing. You probably already knew about it.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/10/14223264/meme-economy-reddit-stock-market
Like jokes, dreams, and teen culture, it’s uncool to explain a meme. Explanations take effort, and effort is antithetical to an art form that begs to be perceived as effortless.

r/MemeEconomy is a quirky solution, a subreddit in which people discuss memes as if they’re real-world commodities. If a meme is just beginning to bubble up online, you say you’re going to BUY. If a meme has peaked, you SELL, SELL, SELL. No real money is involved. The game is just an artifice with which to vocalize your commentary as a knowledgeable insider. It’s intentionally tongue in cheek, talking “investments” without seeming too invested.

But now a 12-person team of Redditors (led by Brandon Wink and Ron Vaisman) is taking the idea behind r/MemeEconomy and making a working, interactive meme stock market. They’re calling the trading tool NASDANQ, a cheeky financial system for an alternate universe adjacent to our own where meme is king.

Top Bottom