• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that make you laugh |OT4| Aw yiss. Motha. F*ckin. Reposts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRW810

t6FFb.gif
Call me celeb-oblivious but who is that and can I look at this all day please?

G.O.O.

For some reason if I had to imagine Aguirre in this situation I'd rather picture her as the one on the left at the beginning

He did, and it's actually correct.

There's even an old saying of "Choosy developers choose GIF". I pronounce it with the hard G because...pronouncing it like Jiff is weird.

Why would it be correct when GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format? "Graphics" is pronounced with a hard 'G'.

Jobiensis

Übermatik;47730076 said:
Why would it be correct when GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format? "Graphics" is pronounced with a hard 'G'.

Because the saying was in the original spec.

vvv ClydeFroj vvv

Übermatik;47730076 said:

The creators of the format pronounced GIF with a soft "G" /ˈdʒɪf/ as in "gin". An alternative pronunciation uses a hard "G" /ˈɡɪf/ as in "graphics", reflecting the expanded acronym. Both pronunciations are given as correct by the Oxford English Dictionary[5] and the American Heritage Dictionary.[6]
According to Steve Wilhite, the creator of the GIF format, the original pronunciation deliberately echoes the American peanut butter brand, Jif, and the employees of CompuServe would often say "Choosy developers choose GIF", spoofing this brand's television commercials.[7] This pronunciation was also identified by CompuServe in their documentation of a graphics display program called CompuShow.[7]

From Wiki. I had heard about the pronunciation years ago from a Comp Sci professor. I was boggled as you were. Hard G still works, but original intent is apparently Jif.

Jobiensis

From Wiki. I heard heard about the pronunciation years ago from a Comp Sci professor. I was boggled as you were. Hard G still works, but original intent is apparently Jif.

I feel old because the way I learned about GIF was writing a program to display 256 color images (not animations) from the CompuServe docs.

That picture always makes my laugh my ass off. The misspelling, the spirit bomb, the Pepsi body, the face. Truly a glorious image.

I have the original picture on my office wall. If I ever get stressed, I look up and just remember creasing up with laughter at the back of the class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom