• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 2 Preview at IGN - Videos

olimario

Banned
There's a 2 page Pikmin 2 preview over at good ol' IGN.
Some really good info and some really positive feedback.

ARTICLE
http://cube.ign.com/articles/527/527522p1.html

While finding all 200 items is a long, but very enjoyable task, there's also a monster and plant gallery that features 81 different lifeforms, including 12 plants and 12 bosses. Once added, you can check them out from various angles, zoom in, throw some carrots at them to see them eat, or turn them to stone.
But even without all these little "collection" side-quests, Pikmin 2 can proudly stand among the best GameCube games released thus far. Everything about the game, from the opening screen to the "final" credits is polished to perfection. The attention to detail is evident everywhere. The character animations are particularly impressive. Blow hogs chuckle after they cause your Pikmin to lose their flowers, egg maggots make your Pikmin run around screaming in digust, and if a jellyfish manages to suck up some of your Pikmin, you can see the poor sods inside the creature's translucent body.

And once it all ends, there's still a full-fledged challenge mode that puts the original's to shame. It's no longer just about getting the high score. Pikmin 2 actually features 30 different puzzle challenges, each with a set time limit and a predetermined set of Pikmin. You can play these challenges alone or in split-screen co-op with a friend (once you unlock this feature). Clear them all with a perfect rating (=no Pikmin lost) and you unlock a bonus video sequence, which, as everything in this game, looks and sounds great.

rock on!

VIDEOS
http://media.cube.ign.com/media/496/496779/vids_1.html

olimario

Banned
I didn't import. Someone at IGN was going to send it my way, but didn't, so I'll wait for the US release. It's really not hard to click the 'VIDEOS' link and then click the WMV version of the video you want to watch.

EDIT: I love the image distortion of the water. That and on the diamond the pikmin are carrying. How cool.

Meier

Looking forward to this. Played a few stages at E3 and they were a blast and the original Pikmin is one of the best games this gen IMO. I was dumb and put off playing it until a few months ago after owning it forever but you can bet I wont make that mistake again with Pikmin 2. :D

Socreges

Banned
olimario said:
I didn't import. Someone at IGN was going to send it my way, but didn't, so I'll wait for the US release. It's really not hard to click the 'VIDEOS' link and then click the WMV version of the video you want to watch.
You're right. It's not. So maybe assume otherwise? The WMV versions do not load and I cannot save them.

[edit] nm. it was just a problem with firefox. works in IE

[edit] Goddamnit that looks wonderful

Stryder

Can not wait! (literally.. I've been restraining myself from playing a Jap copy I have because I decided I wanted to play it with the storyline, the game is very polished, and dare I say, the best on the platform thus far)

DrLazy

Good Lord I am so hyped about this game.

A long singleplayer quest, 300 items to collect, 30 challenges to preform, new and more polished gameplay, a great multiplayer mode, I could go on and on. Damn I'm excited.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So, if you still haven't figured it out, let me spell it out for you: Pikmin 2 is fantastic. While it may not have the same sense of newness as its predecessor, it really does improve on the original in every way. Whether you play it alone or in versus or co-op challenge mode with a friend, this game belongs on every Nintendo fan's wishlist."

:bang

SA-X

For example, Olimar and his companion(s) get suit upgrades that render them impervious to certain attacks, teach them to fight even without the help of Pikmin, and, best of all, give them a whistle upgrade that pops buried Pikmin right out of the ground without having to pull them out one by one. There are also two special power-ups that require our heroes to find red and purple juice. The red juice fills up a gauge that enables the Pikmin to gain super fighting powers for a limited amount of time (press D-Pad up), whereas the purple juice lets Olimar turn an enemy to stone for a short period of time (D-Pad down).
Sweetness. Everything about this game sounds awesome, can't freaking wait.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Stuff like "power-ups" and suite-upgrades make the game to seem less like a strategy game than the first. If such improvements make the game too leisurely and fail to reward efficiency, than I honestly may not enjoy Pikmin-2 as much as I did the original.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mejilan said:
Who cares?
Thank you, I whole heartedly agree with that sentiment. I still highly doubt a sequel with this much of an improvement over the original and with such an excellent gameplay foundation will be ignored by the press.

HOPEFULLY sales will be quite high for this title because the originality and scope of the game really deserves it.

This and Rome: Total War is going to make my strategy filled holidays extremely enjoyable.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
EB Games and Gamestop have both games listed for these dates.

Pikmin 2
EB: August 1st
Gamestop: August 30th

Rome: Total War
EB: September 14th
Gamestop: September 15th

Man we're incredibly lucky there is atleast sizeable amount of time between these two stellar titles.

Teddman

Heheh...

I'm right at the end of the game but don't think I've quite finished it yet...

There's a point where it seems to end, but then there's a twist and gameplay continues. I'm not sure how long this new part will go on, but I seem to be close to the finish.

The game is considerably longer than the first one, and it's a fun ride! Lots of challenging dungeons.

ge-man

Damn, EAD really went all out on this game. This would easily be GC game of the year if MP2 and RE4 weren't coming this fall or didn't seem to have same kind of substantial improvements over their prequels as Pikmin 2 does.

SyNapSe

ge-man said:
Damn, EAD really went all out on this game. This would easily be GC game of the year if MP2 and RE4 weren't coming this fall or didn't seem to have same kind of substantial improvements over their prequels as Pikmin 2 does.

It should still be GC game of the year :) It just won't be as mainstream.. I imagine.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
In worst case scenario (like Prime 2 in march, just like first one) , it will be GC game of the year on PAL markets....

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait, already pre-ordered with EB's 20$ off deal.

The only thing I am bummed about is that there is no co-op quest mode. It should have at least been unlockable :(

Top Bottom