• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 2: What went wrong?

Alcibiades

pikmin2_blue.jpg

some explain please...

dfddsfdfs.jpg

These men need an answer...

heck, I'm baffled myself. It's underwhelming performance is so bizarre...

cvxfreak

It's suffering the same fate PGR2, Rogue Squadron III and Pandora Tomorrow suffered.

The first games were flukes of successes.

olimario

Banned
Serious lack of advertising.
Nintendo really knows how to make games flop through lack of exposure.
A good commercial campaign could have saved this title. No, the midget commercial wasn't good enough and didn't air enough to impact sales very much.

Alcibiades

CVXFREAK said:
It's suffering the same fate PGR2, Rogue Squadron III and Pandora Tomorrow suffered.

Rebel Strike was crap and mediocre compared to RSIII...

Pandora Tomorrow and PGR2 were online-focused...

Pikmin 2 is the front-runner for GOTY and even if you take away the launch factor and how much it sold around that time, Pikmin 1 still had decent legs...

Grubdog

Banned
Adults wont buy it because it's for THE KIDDIEZ. Kids won't buy it because they want to be adults. That just leaves people who just want to play a great game, who KNOW it's a great game, which sadly is a very small percentage of us.

People don't want great gameplay anymore.

cvxfreak

efralope said:
Rebel Strike was crap and mediocre compared to RSIII...

Pandora Tomorrow and PGR2 were online-focused...

Pikmin 2 is the front-runner for GOTY and even if you take away the launch factor and how much it sold around that time, Pikmin 1 still had decent legs...

At the same time, Pikmin 2 follows the trend of the other games - sequels which are, at heart, similar to the first games. Not saying Pikmin 2 isn't fun, but it's not original or mainstream enough.

The midget commercial blew. Show the game. The reason the GTA commercials rock so much is because its nothing but the game. They don't have some goofball running around throwing people out their car and then going into gameplay footage. Show the game and stop doing 3 seconds of game footage with 12 seconds of some people doing stupid stuff.

Rhindle

Releasing sequels of games from the same gen is dicey. Most of the time people just don't want to pay for more of the same experience. Unless the sequel offers fundamental enhancement over the original, it's hard to get people to fork out $50 for it. Pikmin 2 falls in the category of "no fundamental enhancement over the original."

Mashing

that's all that really needs to be said.

"MOMMIE!!!! I DONT' WANT TO LOOK LIKE A DORK PLAYING WITH CLAY DOLLS!!1 I WANT TO FUCK HOOKERS AND KILL ALIENS"

The quality of a game means jackshit anymore

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
You went wrong with it.

Stop playing the sales charts and play the game. Its a whole lot more enjoyable.

And if you think the sales charts will prevent what will probably be another terrific sequal, when have you ever known nintendo to make market driven business decisions? ;)

Shitty (practically non-existant) advertising.

It's teh kiddie.

It's foreign looking.

It's on Game Cube.

Retailers didn't stock it well.

It's $50.

The cover art sucks.

The name sounds foreign.

People don't like good games (see: Ninja Gaiden).

These things happen. I don't know why they happen, they just do. I loved Pikmin, and I'm sure that 2 is even better. Problem is, I am not American gamers.

Subitai

CVXFREAK said:

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

I don't think any amount of advertising could have saved it. Some marketing like give aways or contests might have helped though.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
:lol

I love how its threads like this that bring out the whole "unless you kill hookers, you're not selling a game anymore" people. Face it: this game just doesn't have a lot of appeal. I know that's hard to take, but there are a lot of good games that didn't succeed for this reason.

And for the record, I don't think this game would've performed well even with the biggest marketing blitz in history. It has virtually no appeal to the average consumer

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
132,618 - that's hardly a disaster!

+ whatever was sold here in japan, and i'd imagine you are close to a half million seller.

It seems that people just expect every game to top a million and , even then, most of them are labelled bombs anyways!

Jonnyram

CVXFREAK said:
At the same time, Pikmin 2 follows the trend of the other games - sequels which are, at heart, similar to the first games. Not saying Pikmin 2 isn't fun, but it's not original or mainstream enough.
Another way I'd put it is that game series are like pop groups. If the second game is too similar to the first game, even fans might dismiss it as being samey. It's that "difficult second game" syndrome. Potentially they could keep the series going and drive it in new directions, but if they keep doing the same thing, I don't think the series can be a long-time success.

DCharlie said:
132,618 - that's hardly a disaster!

+ whatever was sold here in japan, and i'd imagine you are close to a half million seller.

It seems that people just expect every game to top a million and , even then, most of them are labelled bombs anyways!

Honestly I think if Fable hadn't done so well I don't think there'd be this hadnwringing over Pikmin2.

I think everyone's forgetting that the first game was hardly a mind-boggling success. After being player's choice and out for almost 3 years, it has sold:

Pikmin: 654,353

If Pikmin sells well this holiday season, it could still make somewhere between 350 to 500,000. I doubt Nintendo's expectations are as lofty as some people's on this forum.

Ristamar

Eh, it might see a small boost over the holidays. I enjoyed the first one, though I waited until it dropped in price. I was waiting for the 3-for-2 TRU deal to pick up a copy of the sequel...

ManaByte

Gold Member
Reality check: Pikmin is a niche title! No matter how good the game may be, it's still a niche title and even Nintendo isn't dumb enough to spend millions to try to drive it to mass-market success.

olimario

Banned
ManaByte said:
Reality check: Pikmin is a niche title! No matter how good the game may be, it's still a niche title and even Nintendo isn't dumb enough to spend millions to try to drive it to mass-market success.

The original sold over a million WW, didn't it?
Hardly niche.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
there are many people (like me, though I still bought it, but have still neglected it even though I don't do that with games) that just don't get excited when a sequel comes out on the same console generation. People like us just don't care.

I loved VJ, don't give a shit about VJ2
Metroid Prime if my favorite game this gen but I'm lukewarm on MP2
I enjoyed pikmin... can't be bothered to play pikmin 2

In my experience, people with this dislike of sequels tend to be nintendo people (however ironic that may seem).

Another possible explanation is the reason people liked the first pikmin is because it was so different, so new. Such is no longer the case when its a sequel of so the appeal of (this is like nothing I have ever played before) no longer exists for the 2nd game.

Socreges

Banned
Pikmin 2's sales ARE surprising given Pikmin's huge success.

That said, don't waste a moment talking about it. Move on.
SolidSnakex said:
The midget commercial blew. Show the game. The reason the GTA commercials rock so much is because its nothing but the game. They don't have some goofball running around throwing people out their car and then going into gameplay footage. Show the game and stop doing 3 seconds of game footage with 12 seconds of some people doing stupid stuff.
There's no way to know for certain, but you're almost definitely wrong. GTA is not Pikmin. You cannot show pure footage of Pikmin and expect it to make a greater impact than a commercial with much broader appeal.

ManaByte

Gold Member
olimario said:
The original sold over a million WW, didn't it?
Hardly niche.

When a console owner doesn't have much to pick from at launch, it's going to do well. Three years after launch, and when people have more to choose from on the system, the sequel falls into a niche status.

If you plopped the average consumer in front of a GameCube with Donky Konga or one with Pikmin 2, they'll play Konga as that's an easy to get into mass-market title. There's very little barrier of entry to that game. You just slap some bongos.

Kon Tiki

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Forgetting the Jax ( or was it Racket?) commercials? :D

Xellos

The first Pikmin wasn't that great and neither is Pikmin 2. Moving a marker and tossing color-coded plant people is not the most exciting thing ever. It's imaginative and laid back and appeals to a good number of gamers (130,000 is not bad for Pikmin 2), but it's not the stuff that just grabs everyones attention and demands to be played. Most gamers out there are going to look at it and just keep walking without thinking twice.

Society said:

Ah, good old Jax and Dexter, and Racket and Crank. They had commericials kinda like Pakmin, that showed something silly with a little game footage. :D

They should just change his name. I've heard him called Jax soooooo many times.

Racket, now THAT'S a new one. :D

When you've got a first game that doesn't seem to sell consistently well after its initial release period, I think that, unless it provides a huge leap forward in design, a sequel is destined to sell much less than the original. Sports games seem to be a general exception to this rule, but it's also a special case due to their connection to their real-world counterparts. Of course, Pikmin 2 might still sell enough in the end to designate it as a non-bomb.

I actually miss the timer from Pikmin 1, even as frustrating as it could be. Still, good game.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Society said:

the ratchet and clank comercialls were amusing, and good commercials but still sucked in their goal of getting me to buy the game. Fun to watch, but have 0 pull in convincing me that its a good game.

Society said:

As slayn said, they're good for a laugh but they don't get people to buy games. Alot of people thought that Pikmin commercial was funny too, it obviously didn't get people to buy it though. If you want to sell the game, show it.

Flynn

Grubdog said:
Adults wont buy it because it's for THE KIDDIEZ. Kids won't buy it because they want to be adults. That just leaves people who just want to play a great game, who KNOW it's a great game, which sadly is a very small percentage of us.

People don't want great gameplay anymore.

This is a good argument.

Part of the problem of selling video games as "cool" is that people will expect to feel cool playing them.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Ah, good old Jax and Dexter, and Racket and Crank. They had commericials kinda like Pakmin, that showed something silly with a little game footage. :D

They should just change his name. I've heard him called Jax soooooo many times.

Racket, now THAT'S a new one. :D
Sorry Jak, and Ratchet. Tired.

Bebpo

Banned
ferricide said:
hell, it's a better single-player game than pikmin 2, IMO.

Even though I really really can't stand 30fps in racers I agree with this. Pikmin 2 was a fun 8/10 but nothing mind-blowing IMO. At least PGR2 was a solid 20-30 hours of fun in single player mode.

etiolate

Banned

Aye. Not that it bombed hard, it just ddin't meet expectations.

I love how its threads like this that bring out the whole "unless you kill hookers, you're not selling a game anymore" people. Face it: this game just doesn't have a lot of appeal. I know that's hard to take, but there are a lot of good games that didn't succeed for this reason.

Quality is appeal or it use to be.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I loved Pikmin, but so far Pikmin 2 is more of the same. Great, but I'm familiar with it already.

Pikmin is not a great game, but it is a great experience. Like ICO. The mechanics are simple - the key is in the magical universe it creates. You can see that from the first zone you land at in Pikmin 1 - its all lazy sunshine, green grass - its childhood revisited.

So maybe more enjoyable for adults than kids, who are out there living it so don't need to relive it?

SickBoy

These are all interesting arguments, but we all know what happened.

Things went south when they put the crazed lobster on the front.

snaildog

It still amazes me that NOA's advertising is so pathetic. Any one of us could've directed a MUCH better commercial without even trying. Just stay away from any kiddy or 'funny' crap, show some of the interesting gameplay, photorealistic locations, dungeons, Pikmin dying, multi-player, mention the huge amounts of things to collect and a rough play-time, and people will want the game. These "experts" think they have to do something inventive, but if the game's good then just show us the fucking game.

Top Bottom