• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel 2 | OT | The best Android phone gets better

LogicStep

I think the screen is like that so that it doesn't have issues when you're wearing sunglasses? Something tells me that benefit doesn't outweigh the con of the blue tint.

TMC

I think the screen is like that so that it doesn't have issues when you're wearing sunglasses? Something tells me that benefit doesn't outweigh the con of the blue tint.

I can see my Pixel XL just fine with polarized sunglasses and it doesn't have a blue tint at different angles.

Nightfall

Anyone here who got to try out both phones? As mentioned elsewhere I preordered the XL, but I'm thinking about switching to the regular Pixel 2.

Is the XL worth the extra 140€? Display issues aside (well, maybe not fully aside...) how about the rest? I fear the XL could be too large for everyday use. And is the additional battery life really that significant?

Would be great to hear some thoughts on that.

Arttemis

As a Pixel XL owner, I'm disappointed. The P2 is shafted compared to the P2XL. I'm going to hold off for the Pixel 3. My current phone is amazing, but I want smaller bezels on a smaller phone. If the Pixel 2 looked like the P2XL, I'd definitely consider it, but the decreased battery life is another bummer that gives me pause.

I might go back so Samsung if they vastly improve their finger sensor.

Agent

I got my Pixel 2 XL late yesterday and spent last night getting things all setup. So far, I'm happy with it. Personally, I think the screen looks fine. For reference, I used to set my 6p to sRGB mode so I preferred "muted" colors. I can understand why people may not like it though. The option should be available for people to choose what they want. I do see the blue tint when viewing it on an angle. However, it doesn't seem as glaring as it does in most pictures I've seen posted.

-The phone feels really nice, especially with the grip material on the back. I bought a Caseology case when they were $7 last week and it's actually really annoying. I would prefer to use it without a case with how nice it feels. The case makes it awkward to use the screen because of it being rounded. I got the cheap case as I wanted to hold out for the RhinoShield bumper. I may get another case that fits the rounded screen better.
-Camera is very nice as expected.
-It seems like the battery life will be very good. As of right now I'm at 1 hour 2 minutes of screen on time and it's at 90%. I'll see what it is like at the end of the day.
-The front speakers nice to have. Using the XL for the last month after owning a 6p made me realize how useful front facing speakers are. I know it is at the cost of some bezel space, but it's worth it in my opinion. The speakers aren't a replacement for a Bluetooth speaker or anything, but are serviceable for general use.

The one thing I'm actually finding myself use more than I expected is the Active Edge for Google Assistant. It's more handy than I expected it to be.

The Now Playing feature isn't as good as expected. You can tell it is very limited in the songs it has in the database. Hopefully they can continue updating the database to make it more useful. I'm guessing Google is riding the fine line of always connected/privacy issues vs. usefulness.

I was using a Pixel XL for the last month as I was one of the lucky ones Google exchanged dying 6p's for the XL. I would say if you enjoy the XL no need to upgrade to the XL 2. I don't think the differences are enough to warrant paying the money for, unless you can get a good deal on a trade in.

Anyone here who got to try out both phones? As mentioned elsewhere I preordered the XL, but I'm thinking about switching to the regular Pixel 2.

Is the XL worth the extra 140€? Display issues aside (well, maybe not fully aside...) how about the rest? I fear the XL could be too large for everyday use. And is the additional battery life really that significant?

Would be great to hear some thoughts on that.

I went to a local Verizon store to check them out. The XL's screen is not an issue for me, looked fine (just want to get that out of the way).

To answer your question, I don't think the XL is particularly worth much more than the regular. If you care about a larger screen with smaller bezels then it could be, but otherwise, the regular would be fine. It's a good size in your hand compared to the XL which may require you to shift your grip or use a second hand. It does help that they moved the search bar to the bottom of the screen in the launcher. I can't answer about battery life obviously.

I recommend you go down to a local Verizon store (if you can), and check them out in person.

REV 09

I also played around with them at Verizon, my wife ended up with the smaller model. We did notice the 2 doesn’t seem to have portrait mode for the front camera but the XL does. I had read many reviews saying the phones were identical in functionality.

Nightfall

I went to a local Verizon store to check them out. The XL's screen is not an issue for me, looked fine (just want to get that out of the way).

To answer your question, I don't think the XL is particularly worth much more than the regular. If you care about a larger screen with smaller bezels then it could be, but otherwise, the regular would be fine. It's a good size in your hand compared to the XL which may require you to shift your grip or use a second hand. It does help that they moved the search bar to the bottom of the screen in the launcher. I can't answer about battery life obviously.

I recommend you go down to a local Verizon store (if you can), and check them out in person.

Thanks, I guess I'll try to track down a regular one and check it out for myself. I'm in Germany, so unfortunately no Verizon stores.
The Pixel 2 is on sale since yesterday (but mostly out of stock) and the XL will go on sale in 4 weeks.
I'm also impatient af.

It's interesting how Google has already brought up the "issue" of the P2XL's color profile and maybe adding more options later, but hasn't said anything about the blue tint.

Kevyt

I got my Pixel 2 XL late yesterday and spent last night getting things all setup. So far, I'm happy with it. Personally, I think the screen looks fine. For reference, I used to set my 6p to sRGB mode so I preferred "muted" colors. I can understand why people may not like it though. The option should be available for people to choose what they want. I do see the blue tint when viewing it on an angle. However, it doesn't seem as glaring as it does in most pictures I've seen posted.

-The phone feels really nice, especially with the grip material on the back. I bought a Caseology case when they were $7 last week and it's actually really annoying. I would prefer to use it without a case with how nice it feels. The case makes it awkward to use the screen because of it being rounded. I got the cheap case as I wanted to hold out for the RhinoShield bumper. I may get another case that fits the rounded screen better.
-Camera is very nice as expected.
-It seems like the battery life will be very good. As of right now I'm at 1 hour 2 minutes of screen on time and it's at 90%. I'll see what it is like at the end of the day.
-The front speakers nice to have. Using the XL for the last month after owning a 6p made me realize how useful front facing speakers are. I know it is at the cost of some bezel space, but it's worth it in my opinion. The speakers aren't a replacement for a Bluetooth speaker or anything, but are serviceable for general use.

The one thing I'm actually finding myself use more than I expected is the Active Edge for Google Assistant. It's more handy than I expected it to be.

The Now Playing feature isn't as good as expected. You can tell it is very limited in the songs it has in the database. Hopefully they can continue updating the database to make it more useful. I'm guessing Google is riding the fine line of always connected/privacy issues vs. usefulness.

I was using a Pixel XL for the last month as I was one of the lucky ones Google exchanged dying 6p's for the XL. I would say if you enjoy the XL no need to upgrade to the XL 2. I don't think the differences are enough to warrant paying the money for, unless you can get a good deal on a trade in.

How does the screen of the 2 XL compare to the Nexus 6p? Would you say it's an upgrade or a downgrade or not really? How bright does the panel get? The Nexus 6p screen didn't really get that bright, it's terrible to use outdoors on a sunny day.

TheZink

I also played around with them at Verizon, my wife ended up with the smaller model. We did notice the 2 doesn’t seem to have portrait mode for the front camera but the XL does. I had read many reviews saying the phones were identical in functionality.
I’ve read you have to update the camera app in the play store

Switching from iOS over here...anybody else having issues with getting push notifications from Facebook? It's refusing to show anything no matter how many times I reset the phone, reinstall the app, delete cache, change battery optimization option or change notification settings.

LogicStep

I'm hoping some good tempered glass protectors become available soon. I don't want to get scratches on the screen. I never used one before on my Nexus 6 and it's been mainly fine but it has some scratches.

TheGrizz

Switching from iOS over here...anybody else having issues with getting push notifications from Facebook? It's refusing to show anything no matter how many times I reset the phone, reinstall the app, delete cache, change battery optimization option or change notification settings.

Have you gone into the app itself and checked the notification settings?

Hylian7

Are there any impressions of the official fabric cases?

I have the black one, I like it, seems quite sturdy. Compared to the official fabric case I had for the Nexus 5X (the flip one), it's a night and day difference. The buttons are much clicker and don't feel squishy.

mauaus

Im not in the US but i can browse the US google store perfectly without a VPN, will it let me complete the purchase if I input a US address for delivery?

Dont want to try because im not sure if Ill buy the phone just yet...

Agent

How does the screen of the 2 XL compare to the Nexus 6p? Would you say it's an upgrade or a downgrade or not really? How bright does the panel get? The Nexus 6p screen didn't really get that bright, it's terrible to use outdoors on a sunny day.

I would say it is better than the 6p screen, but it's not a major leap. At 100% it does get bright, but it isn't as bright as a Note 8 or even the V30 i looked at. According to this article the Pixel 2 XL has a max of 483 nits compared to 570 nits on the Note 8 and 606 nits of the V30. For reference to the 6p, that was 348 nits. The 6p screen was terrible outside, even on a cloudy day. It wasn't fully sunny outside today so I can't fully comment on how it looks though. In general, it was better than my 6p was in similar conditions though.

Are there any impressions of the official fabric cases?

I actually just got back from the Verizon store to check out the fabric cases. The sales rep let me get it out and try it on my phone. It is actually pretty nice so I decided to grab the black version since I get 25% off accessories through my employer so it was $29.99. Is it worth $39.99? I would say no. With the phone now released I'm sure there will be many cheaper, as good, options coming out. The case is very slim and doesn't add much bulk to the phone. The buttons are very clicky and the fabric adds a neat texture/grip. There is not much cover on the front screen though, so if putting the phone face down you'll have to be careful. Also since it is slim, I would imagine a hard drop would not protect the phone too much.

If you're interested in the case I would maybe check out a Verizon store. The one I went to had the gray and black colors. The did have only 2 of each color and this was a store in a major city. They said I was the first person to ask about them and they didn't even have them out on display. Here is also a video I saw on Youtube that gives a good overview of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9CgCS0M4fg

I'm really happy with my 2 (non XL) so far. Coming from a iPhone 6+, the form factor is excellent, and feels great in the hand. I love the look of the screen and the colors it produces.

Even though I know pretty much nothing about Android, everything has felt pretty intuitive UI wise, and looks great with lots of visual feedback.

Camera is excellent, judging by the few shots I've taken.

Ands its so zippy!

Overall great first impression.

Kade

I actually just got back from the Verizon store to check out the fabric cases. The sales rep let me get it out and try it on my phone. It is actually pretty nice so I decided to grab the black version since I get 25% off accessories through my employer so it was $29.99. Is it worth $39.99? I would say no. With the phone now released I'm sure there will be many cheaper, as good, options coming out. The case is very slim and doesn't add much bulk to the phone. The buttons are very clicky and the fabric adds a neat texture/grip. There is not much cover on the front screen though, so if putting the phone face down you'll have to be careful. Also since it is slim, I would imagine a hard drop would not protect the phone too much.

If you're interested in the case I would maybe check out a Verizon store. The one I went to had the gray and black colors. The did have only 2 of each color and this was a store in a major city. They said I was the first person to ask about them and they didn't even have them out on display. Here is also a video I saw on Youtube that gives a good overview of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9CgCS0M4fg

Wow, it's a lot slimmer than the pictures make it look.

Jeffrey

does notification LED not work with always on display? I've had the blinking light notification set on, but never seen it happen.

Gnub

The screen tint killed it for me. I had to cancel my order. I just can't justify paying that much money for a screen that I'm not 100% satisfied with.

spuckthew

does notification LED not work with always on display? I've had the blinking light notification set on, but never seen it happen.

Curious about this too. I have "always on" turned off (but "new notifications" and double-tap turned on) and don't seem to be getting LED notifications. Even when turned on in-app, like WhatsApp, and when the phone is fully charged I don't see the LED come on to notify me.

Moreche

God, I wanted to try this phone as a break from iOS but that JerryRigEverything video killed it for me.
Google stick to software.

ukas

Curious about this too. I have "always on" turned off (but "new notifications" and double-tap turned on) and don't seem to be getting LED notifications. Even when turned on in-app, like WhatsApp, and when the phone is fully charged I don't see the LED come on to notify me.
Same here.

redlegs87

The screen tint killed it for me. I had to cancel my order. I just can't justify paying that much money for a screen that I'm not 100% satisfied with.

Why not let it go through and test it out for yourself? You do get like a decent window to return it if it turns out to have such issues.

Fatalah

God, I wanted to try this phone as a break from iOS but that JerryRigEverything video killed it for me.

Currently have a Pixel 1, holding onto it for the 3 next year. I'm hoping Google takes a serious look at JerryRig's video, the same way they added speakers and waterproofing this year.

Nipo

Yea, this definitely isn't the phone for people who carry razor blades around and don't use a case on their phone.

Nipo

Did you see how easily it broke at that fracture point?

Yup, but in 10 years of using smartphones i've never bent or had a case crack so it wasn't an issue for me. Is it really a problem for people who wear skinny jeans? Maybe i'm just more careful with my phones than normal?

Kevyt

He also very easily broke the Nexus 6p in half with no effort. Yet I've worn skinny jeans and had my nexus 6p in them, I've also dropped the phone a million times now and it's been the best phone I have ever owned, going on strong for almost two years now. No regrets here. I could see my 6p lasting for another year easily.

Patiently waiting for my Pixel 2xl. I would think that all the people cancelling would speed up my shipment for mine!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I just got my XL 2 and I feel really mixed. The hardware is nice and the phone feels zippier than my 6P, which I'm surprised by. The screen is a bit blue when I tilt it, but that doesn't bother me, mostly because the screen is already just kind of...blue. The Verge article linked earlier in which Vlad Savov says that he'd edit photos differently (and even incorrectly) on the Pixel XL 2's screen feels spot on. I opened a few photos side by side on my 6P and XL 2, and in nearly every instance, I'd have upped the saturation were I editing those photos on the XL's screen, which would have made the pictures likely look garish to anyone else. I haven't had a chance to really try the camera, but a great camera only means so much if I need to go to my laptop to edit any of the pictures I take. I think I'm going to keep it despite that as my 6P has battery issues, but the colors on the display are a bummer, and I hope it's something that somehow, in some way, can be changed.

Kade

He also very easily broke the Nexus 6p in half with no effort. Yet I've worn skinny jeans and had my nexus 6p in them, I've also dropped the phone a million times now and it's been the best phone I have ever owned, going on strong for almost two years now. No regrets here. I could see my 6p lasting for another year easily.

Patiently waiting for my Pixel 2xl. I would think that all the people cancelling would speed up my shipment for mine!

Yep. I've had a Nexus 6P for a few years now and have had no problems with the build quality despite some drops and some pretty rough use. That video just confirms what I already knew, which was that taking a sharp object to a phone will scratch it and bending it for the sole purpose of seeing if it would break may actually break your phone.

flattie

One day in as a Pixel 2 owner, my two year old just whacked the back of the phone with one of his Thomas trains.

Case is two days away.

Glass is cracked :'(

Wish they'd make good plastic phones again.

Loving this phone so far. Great camera, snappy as hell, no serious complaints yet. I did notice the blueness and the graininess but overall it's still amazing to me.

Sky Chief

One day in as a Pixel 2 owner, my two year old just whacked the back of the phone with one of his Thomas trains.

Case is two days away.

Glass is cracked :'(

Wish they'd make good plastic phones again.

If you bought with a CC they might replace it for you

Mattenth

I returned my Pixel XL 2. I have the original Pixel XL. It just wasn't worth $1000 to upgrade, especially when I have the protection plan and can just spend $99 for a new one.

The screen is bad. Mine had no issues, but it didn't change that it looked dull. The blue tint is absolutely noticeable when you're in any setting where you can't be still or look head-on (ex: on a train, in bed).

The colors were also just wrong. Reddit tried to convince me that "oh, no, you're just not seeing oversaturated like Samsung" and "ohh, no, it's the REAL color profile and more accurate colors." I don't believe any of that. I compared to a Google business card, to my calibrated desktop monitor, and to my original Pixel XL. The Pixel XL 2's red color was just plain wrong. It was dull and darker compared to every "Google sponsored" comparison point I could find.

The battery also just wasn't very performant. It felt like it was only a slight step up my year-old Pixel XL during its days of use. It was sitting at 20% after a day of moderate use.

Lastly, and this is weird, but I like the form factor of the Pixel XL better. I actually like the bottom bezels because they make it easier to hit the back button while just using one hand.

Hopefully one of you will enjoy it. Just wasn't worth it for me. Maybe it's because the original Pixel is just so damn good. I'm a year in and still absolutely loving it.

Overall, I'm just sad. I agree the screen looks "fine," but "fine" isn't what I expect with a $1000 phone. I expect "great" or even "amazing." Every other part of the phone is somewhere between "great" and "amazing" except for the screen, and the screen is really important. It's just so close to perfection that it missing the mark in such a key area really sours the experience.

Plumpman

So far I love everything about my Pixel 2 (Non-XL), but the screen is really putting a damper on my enjoyment.
I don't mind the muted colors, but what I do mind is the crushed blacks.

Any dark content I view is absolutely terrible on this screen.
I've done a few tests and definitely know its black crush, can't watch any dark movies. :(

Can this be fixed via software or is my display borked (RMA)?

Example: You can clearly see the straight cut to black, creates artifacts. (Sorry quality is garbage):
In0dNwL.jpg

LogicStep

I've had my XL for two days now. Amazing phone, so quick, amazing pictures, beautiful screen. Coming from a Nexus 6 this feels like a real upgrade.

I like the muted colors on the screen.

Blue tint doesn't bother me at all.

The phone is doing one weird thing. When I lock the phone by using the power button, the screen flashes white for a split second before the always on display comes up. Not a big deal.

Haven't seen any other issues.

One amazing thing about this phone is that it looks very damn good out in sunlight. The screen is easily visible and usable. I couldn't do that with my old phone.

Battery life is super good but that will degrade over time.

I need a screen protector before I get this scratched... The one in the Google store is still unavailable.

So far I love everything about my Pixel 2 (Non-XL), but the screen is really putting a damper on my enjoyment.
I don't mind the muted colors, but what I do mind is the crushed blacks.

Any dark content I view is absolutely terrible on this screen.
I've done a few tests and definitely know its black crush, can't watch any dark movies. :(

Can this be fixed via software or is my display borked (RMA)?

Example: You can clearly see the straight cut to black, creates artifacts. (Sorry quality is garbage):
That may be a defect. I have the Pixel 2 XL, but I don't have that. You may want to exchange it.

NotBacon

I've had my P2XL for two days now. Shit is dope. That is all.

If you want more:
- Camera is unbelievable.
- Screen does have tint and grain, but you really need to look for it. I've asked 3 people to find something wrong with the screen and they can't.
- Audio is loud and good.
- Muted colors seem more accurate? Not sure.
- Build quality is superb.
- Speed and responsiveness is superb.

LogicStep

I've had my P2XL for two days now. Shit is dope. That is all.

If you want more:
- Camera is unbelievable.
- Screen does have tint and grain, but you really need to look for it. I've asked 3 people to find something wrong with the screen and they can't.
- Audio is loud and good.
- Muted colors seem more accurate? Not sure.
- Build quality is superb.
- Speed and responsiveness is superb.
No lies detected.

I don't even see the grain. Maybe mine doesn't have it.

suberzat

Is there a decent to great watch to pair with the Pixel? I'm coming from an iPhone 6s and I have a brand new iwatch I need to return and use the money towards an Android watch.

Any suggestions?

Top Bottom