• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetary Annihilation is out.... uh... OT?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
u99CaKl.png

Discuss?

Kinthalis

Banned
BEST OT EVAH! Jeebus, the PS4 would definitely melt rendering those grafx!

You sir are an artiste!

Seriously though? I thought it was a month away?!

MUST PLAY!

FloatOn

I was really impressed with the kickstarter campaign.

RTS games are not really my thing though. Could this game change my preference?

Pepboy

This is the OT Planetary Annihilation deserves. Played if for a few hours after the galactic update and it feels pretty vapid to me. Just mass produce buildings and swarms of flavorless units. Regret purchase.

edit: I'm sure some people had a good time with it, maybe there are some deep systems there, I just didn't get that. Though if what you like is a TON of units, this is your game.

SerTapTap

It looks prettyyyy but...very busy. And unit/building silhouettes don't look especially distinct. Impressions? And why fiddle with standard RTS battles when you can apparently go all Alderaan on their asses?

"And why fiddle with standard RTS battles when you can apparently go all Alderaan on their asses?"

Because while you're waiting to get the resources to build your super death laser you'll need something to prevent your enemies from shit stomping you.

Arcanine55

Neo Member
I want to grab this but this month is backlog month and October and November are filled. I hope this game will sell well.

SerTapTap

"And why fiddle with standard RTS battles when you can apparently go all Alderaan on their asses?"

Because you while you're waiting to get the resources to build your super death laser you'll need something to prevent your enemies from shit stomping you.

Wondering how the endgame actually works out though--does the deathstar take precidence over "beat the shit out of their base", is it either-or, or does it end up being one of those cool but incredibly impractical things? I'm guessing it's most similar to building a Wonder in AoE except more satisfying?

This game has changed a lot since I bought it. It used to take ages to get to the orbital stage and the interplanetary stuff was pretty much broken. I still prefer the smaller scale battles.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think that's sometimes a problem with early access. People don't notice when it's complete

That, and people get tired of the game (or at least less enthusiastic about it) once release finally comes. Games lose the word of mouth boost that arrives with a true release.

Sinatar

Well fiddling with the full version and this really doesn't feel like a $30 product, very unrefined and barebones.

Hell the tutorial is literally just some youtube videos, though the game seems simple enough that they aren't necessary.

"Wondering how the endgame actually works out though--does the deathstar take precidence over "beat the shit out of their base", is it either-or, or does it end up being one of those cool but incredibly impractical things? I'm guessing it's most similar to building a Wonder in AoE except more satisfying?"

It requires a lot of resources and a specific type of planet, so it's more than likely the type of thing you use when you know you're a good bit ahead of your opponent but they're not so far behind that they can't hold out against a normal unit assault and drag the game out.

Dylan

I hope Uber support it better than their previous games.

RIP Super Monday Night Combat.

Yeah this.

I have so many good things to say about SMNC from a design perspective, but the way Uber just abandoned that game was disgraceful. As far as I know, you can still load the game up and purchase a bunch of content fully unaware that you'll never be able to actually play it due to the non-extant player base.

Ovek

7Member7
Did they slow the gameplay down yet? I played one of the betas and everything moved way to fast and it seemed to move to the end game of throwing moons around within 10 or so of dull generic RTS fodder.

Lucinice

Neo Member
Yeah this.

I have so many good things to say about SMNC from a design perspective, but the way Uber just abandoned that game was disgraceful. As far as I know, you can still load the game up and purchase a bunch of content fully unaware that you'll never be able to actually play it due to the non-extant player base.

SMNC is just so tragic, that game was great but then Valve accidentally gave every steam user a beta key. It then lead them to releasing it way too early, they were completely unprepared and the game suffered for it.

Also I don't think people buying items for it without realizing it has no players isn't an issue, if I remember clearly the game always displayed the player count of the server you were on in the front page.

Dylan

SMNC is just so tragic, that game was great but then Valve accidentally gave every steam user a beta key. It then lead them to releasing it way too early, they were completely unprepared and the game suffered for it.

Also I don't think people buying items for it without realizing it has no players isn't an issue, if I remember clearly the game always displayed the player count of the server you were on in the front page.

I'm all excited to have this discussion but really this is a thread for PA so we should stick to that topic.

One point though; and this is from first-hand knowledge, when the playerbase fell off of SMNC, the front page was constantly at "603 Players Online" for months afterwards. A convenient bug for Uber to ignore.

Just watched the trailer, initially groaned at the cartoony graphics, but good lordy do some of those effects and scale look damn good :eek:

Take it this is similar to Supreme Commander ?

Deadstar

Wondering how the endgame actually works out though--does the deathstar take precidence over "beat the shit out of their base", is it either-or, or does it end up being one of those cool but incredibly impractical things? I'm guessing it's most similar to building a Wonder in AoE except more satisfying?

There are many ways to destroy the enemy. Basically if the commander dies they are dead. You can kill them with ground forces, air, artillery, nukes, smashing a planet into their base or by using the death laser. There are a few other ways as well but it's pretty dynamic.

Anyone interested should check out today's livestream. Someone built rockets on a moon to send into another guy's planet but the guy sent a nuke onto the moon blowing up the rockets, causing the planet to stop propelling forward, though it was now on a collision course to a totally different planet, so they smashed together and both blew up. It was absolutely glorious.

http://www.twitch.tv/uberentertainment/b/565428322

Go to 1 hour 42 minutes.

Hoping to jump more into this soon given my love of Supreme Commander(this is obviously very different, but it's closer than most games). The lack of a real tutorial combined with the multiple planes you have to manage across relatively large planets was too stressful for me the last time I tried.

Any Total Annihilation/Balanced Annihilation players tried this? I'd be interested to know how it compares.

From what I've seen the gameplay derives more from the Supreme Commander games than from our glorious TA -- a focus on wide strategic battles where you spend more of your time looking at moving dots rather than manipulating smaller groups of individual units. They really should've called it Planetary Commander.

Twinduct

So offline mode patched in? Honestly been bummed as fuck since the start of the Beta, can't get more than 10 mins before I completely lag out.

I wonder, will PA have a sale to celebrate the release?

Also, I am interested in y'all's opinions about the game - the concept sounds fun, but I only enjoy singleplayer RTSes/fighting agains the AI (Players are too good.). Dawn of War or Starcraft-esque campaigns would be the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Well fiddling with the full version and this really doesn't feel like a $30 product, very unrefined and barebones.

Hell the tutorial is literally just some youtube videos, though the game seems simple enough that they aren't necessary.

This is the worst.

Oh god you can't save mid battle.

El Oh El.

This is SOMEHOW EVEN WORSE.

Is the game multiplayer only or something? Otherwise I can't imagine why you couldn't save the game.

Sinatar

Is the game multiplayer only or something? Otherwise I can't imagine why you couldn't save the game.

It has a campaign mode, kind of reminds me of how Rise of Nations campaigns worked. Overworld map with random battles as you wander about capturing solar systems. It saves between battles but for some baffling reason you can't save mid battle.

Sinatar

If I backed this on Kickstarter can I only download it through the Uberent launcher? Can I get a Steam key?

You should get a steam key, there is probably some account/backer thing to fill out though, I did it so long ago I don't remember what the process was.

Nokterian

Oh god you can't save mid battle.

El Oh El.

Well that fucking sucks. Make a RTS can't save anytime when you want. I backed this and played a bit looks nice and runs nice but first time i hear it is released now. Don't know i cannot be bothered with it at the moment....

Top Bottom