• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetary Annihilation is out.... uh... OT?

DryvBy

Just watched the trailer, initially groaned at the cartoony graphics, but good lordy do some of those effects and scale look damn good :eek:

Take it this is similar to Supreme Commander ?

It's very much like it, only a lot better. A bit buggy, but it's still a blast.

The Cowboy

Well fiddling with the full version and this really doesn't feel like a $30 product, very unrefined and barebones.

Hell the tutorial is literally just some youtube videos, though the game seems simple enough that they aren't necessary.
Gotta agree, despite really liking the game (i got it a while ago) it is not what I'd call a release ready game, and the fact they've gone ahead and done this really worries me - the game is very much in a beta/unfinished state.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The damn no-mouse-cursor bug is still there, one year later.

I had the game simply give up rendering everything but the hud. Couldn't save and reload either, had to lose all my progress.

Think i'll let this bake in the oven a bit more before I dig in.

It has a campaign mode, kind of reminds me of how Rise of Nations campaigns worked. Overworld map with random battles as you wander about capturing solar systems. It saves between battles but for some baffling reason you can't save mid battle.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look up some footage and see if it's for me-

I had the game simply give up rendering everything but the hud. Couldn't save and reload either, had to lose all my progress.

...and maybe wait a bit.

:/

Sinatar

I just had this happen again, both times when clicking on alert pop ups (enemy contact etc...). So yea...

sp3000

You can't save your game in this. A game oriented around matches that take hours to finish.

LET ME REPEAT THAT.

THIS GAME DOESN'T HAVE WHAT TOTAL ANNIHILATION HAD BACK IN 1998.

Are the developers complete idiots releasing this, who in their right mind would think that this is even an ALPHA?

epmode

The lack of mid-match saving is strange. From the earliest beta, they were tooling around with a replay system that allows you to rewind a game even as you're playing it. Are there any plans to enable saves in the future?

Sinatar

Is this fun to play yet?
:p

The actual game seems solid, it's just everything else around it is a mess.

EDIT: Oh and if you backed it on kickstarter or bought the early access you can get the soundtrack by logging into the Uber Store, there'll be a bandcamp link for it under your product keys.

I'm listening to it now and it's fantastic.

Keasar

How you know the game is absolutely awesome. A match me and a couple of friends played ended with:

"Guys, is it just me or is the ice planet coming towards us?"

Deadstar

Hopefully the game continues to be patched. This game could be absolutely incredible if given the right support.

epmode

Is the way to get a Steam key as a backer really to open a support ticket? If so, WTF.

I'm a backer and I'm reasonably sure I never opened a ticket with them. Did they close down the usual key delivery method? I got my key so long ago that I don't even remember how they handled it.

Portman

Just got it downloaded earlier this afternoon. The last time I'd played it was during the beta (if you can call it that) back in January. I made the decision to wait for the game to be finished since they kept screw around with it instead of working to finish it.

Mentioned to a friend that we should give it another try now that it's done to see what we think since our initial impressions during the alpha and beta weren't good. I might play a skirmish mode in the next few days but will mainly wait to play with friends and see what it's like.

Thinking about buying this, gaf, do you like it? I am a fan of TA back in the day, and i like Sc ( supreme commander ). Not the fan of cartoonish graphics, but i hear gameplay is great.

Thoughts?

Card Boy

Banned
I warned you guys during the Kickstarter, the alpha, the boxed beta they are selling and I am telling you again now.

Uber Entertainment are terrible developers and shysters, don't support them. They will drop support for this just like Hi-Rez/Zombie Studios does with all their games.

Danneee

So, have they fixed the balancing issues now? Like transport ships that can carry several units?
Last time I played the "campaign" it was impossible to even land on a planet that the enemy had taken over and built shit on every square inch on as every transport could only carry one unit...

prudislav

i guess they rushed the Full release :-(
Love the game, but they promised that the game will be NoDRM on launch , but so far game is still online-only serverside without saving. They tested local sevrers on PAX , but IMO they shoud have waited for it and not to rush the ull release.

Both local offline servers and mid-match saves(Chrono-cam) are in the works, but no real info from devs about it (only that they are working on it and will come later)

KDR_11k

Well fiddling with the full version and this really doesn't feel like a $30 product, very unrefined and barebones.

Hell the tutorial is literally just some youtube videos, though the game seems simple enough that they aren't necessary.

Wasn't it supposed to be like 50$? I guess that happens when you're selling the game before it's done, by the time you "release" it's already old news and has to go into the bargain bin.

Vastag

Yes, I can't play unless I'm on windowed mode. Taking into account the always online DRM, that you can't save in the middle of a battle and the buggy mesh it is right now, I'm really regretting buying this :-(.

Hmm. I'll admit I haven't been following this game very closely, but some of the posts in here aren't very encouraging. What's the point of moving a game out of early access when it's still pretty buggy and missing major features? My first thought is the devs consider their work more or less "done", regardless of the actual state of the game, and post-release support might not be so hot. Wait and see, I guess.

bj00rn_

Banned
I feel dumb, the newsletter from kickstarter said I could download the game on Steam but I have no idea how I do that, can't find my Steam key. Anyone in the same scenario out there?

Edit: I just sent a message to support, perhaps they will sort it out, so nevermind.

Oxirane

Uber not releasing the local server software has been the most annoying thing about this whole process for me, alpha, beta, gamma (wtf) and release with no local server to test.
Almost any game I have tried (online, single player or on a LAN), has been plagued with lag spots.

They never really had the cash to make the game at the scale some people were expecting, hopefully modders will take up the slack, and the game won't be full of DLC or some such.

Purkake4

Banned
It's a bit weird/sad that there's almost no talk about it except for the odd "I hope they die because Super Monday Night Combat".

The game looks great from videos anyway.

epmode

My growing impression is that Kickstarter has been a flop for everything but RPG games.

There are definitely a lot of good RPGs but you're forgetting about Star Citizen, Elite, Kentucky Route Zero and a few others. I haven't seen all that many RTS projects.

kswiston

Wasn't it supposed to be like 50$? I guess that happens when you're selling the game before it's done, by the time you "release" it's already old news and has to go into the bargain bin.

Companies are charging people more for early beta access. Full game was never going to be the same $50-60. I don't expect Wasteland 2 to be $60 either in a couple of weeks.

Kyari

A game which could have been so much more, I had fun for a few months at least.

eLrUGRO.png

SMNC pretty much dropped the ball immediately when they accidentally had an open launch on Steam midway through the beta and from that point on they basically never managed to get any real traction as far as attracting players goes.
They failed to market the game in some pretty spectacular ways, basically relying on pushing the game on other services with "And get this free ingame item" gimics which ultimately just resulted in the existing players signing up for crappy services to redeem items. I think they probably peaked around the time Giant Bomb did a thursday night throwdown for it.
They also didn't work out how to properly patch Unreal 3 until months after launch, meaning for a while every update resulted in a full client re-download, all 3gb, for even the smallest bugfix.
Also rather than add workshop support they briefly had a subforum for fans to submit custom models that they would then sell ingame, they updated with community items once, this was the last update the game ever received.
Oh and for a brief perioid they burried a bitcoin farmer in the game.

So yeah, Uber's track record is not so great for supporting and marketing multiplayer games.

Oxirane

The poster wasn't asking whether it was online or offline.

I'm sure offline or offline wouldn't matter so much for single player if the Uber servers could handle the load. As it stands, the online requirement for single player only hampers the experience.

jesus, that's a lot of compression on the opening cutscene. super low res too

wtf? edit: looked like it played the cutscene off youtube. derp. that's.. weird. lol

Daingurse

Oh shit, this is out now. Can't justify buying any games right now, but I loved Total Annihilation. This will probably be the next RTS I try to fuck with.

Purkake4

Banned
I'm sure offline or offline wouldn't matter so much for single player if the Uber servers could handle the load. As it stands, the online requirement for single player only hampers the experience.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Hope they fix it soon.

KDR_11k

Companies are charging people more for early beta access. Full game was never going to be the same $50-60. I don't expect Wasteland 2 to be $60 either in a couple of weeks.

Yeah but it was something like 80$ for alpha, 60$ for beta and was supposed to be 40$ for final but then they just did that "gamma" phase (probably because they didn't want to wait until it was actually done before dropping the price below what backers had to pay for beta). So I guess now the final is cheaper than the gamma.

Oh shit, this is out now. Can't justify buying any games right now, but I loved Total Annihilation. This will probably be the next RTS I try to fuck with.

http://springrts.com/. Free games that tend to be based on TA.

Llyranor

RTS games are not really my thing though. Could this game change my preference?
Honestly, no.

Attaching rockets to a moon and crashing into a planet to blow it up is kind of pretty awesome, but gets hold fast if the rest of the RTS conventions in the game don't work for me.

I backed the game, but kind of regret it (generally not being a standard RTS fan). At least I got a nice soundtrack out of it

FTL and Shovel Knight have been great.

Volgarr was totally amazing. Tex Murphy was great too (at least I enjoyed it quite a lot). And many others are really good games.

For Planetary Annihilation, it's just a shame that they've released the game in what is still an unfinished state (no offline mode, many many crashes - I personnaly can't play more than 20 minutes without the UI crashing, etc...).

But from what I've played, when it works, it's a fine game.

Top Bottom