• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Goes Mobile

llien

After being crowned as Steam's third best-selling game ever, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) is on its way to conquer the mobile world. Developed by LightSpeed & Quantum Studio and published by Chinese tech giant Tencent, PUBG Mobile has been soft launched in Canada. The game is now available for download at the Google Play Store. PUBG Mobile stays true to the PC version. It was developed on the Unreal Engine 4 and supports features that include 7.1 surround sound and in-game voice chat. For the time being, only the original Erangel map is in the mobile version. The minimum requirements consist of a smartphone with Android 5.1.1 and 2 GB of RAM. Although there is no mention of a minimum processor requirement, the developer states that the game is supported on more than 500 Android devices.

Techpowerup

resetenema if old

DonJimbo

It looks great and runs very fluent unreal engine on the phone is a real monster
Im playing on my note 5 very fluent

Last edited:

edge2

Neo Member
That's good news, maybe they will release it also for Nintendo Switch? If it runs on a Smartphone, it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to get it running on Switch as well (see Doom).

edge2

Neo Member
Yes, seems not compatible with a Samsung Note 10.1 (2014), Samsung Note 8 and Samsung Galaxy S7 either.
At least I don't get an option to install it with any of those devices.

Ecto311

It installed fine on my note 8 about an hour ago. I loaded it just now and seems like it works ok. Sucks it made me log in with facebook though. Holy shit 90 players in 2 seconds though is crazy. Haven't tried fortnite mobile but can't imagine it is far behind this.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yes, seems not compatible with a Samsung Note 10.1 (2014), Samsung Note 8 and Samsung Galaxy S7 either.
At least I don't get an option to install it with any of those devices.
playing on samsung s7 edge runs fine controls like shit

Last edited:

Poppyseed

Runs better on my iPhone X than my Xbox One X. Go figure. Shooting controls are very hard. But it’s definitely PUBG mobile. Quite the achievement.

Interesting that it's published by Tencent which has a majority stake in Epic which makes Fortnite. Tencent is playing both sides of the field!

pj

Banned
It runs pretty much the same as PC.

The mobile version is impressive but lets not go nuts. The number of objects in the world is greatly reduced, many buildings are swapped out for ones with simpler layouts, no windows have glass (they say this may come later but currently has too much of a performance penalty), vehicle physics are simplified (though more stable), bullet physics are greatly simplified, draw distance is shorter, objects pop in more, animation of other players becomes extremely choppy at longer ranges, etc.

It does have many features that the full game lacks, though, and I hope Bluehole is able to pick up the pace and not fall too far behind a free mobile game..

pj

Banned
It installed fine on my note 8 about an hour ago. I loaded it just now and seems like it works ok. Sucks it made me log in with facebook though. Holy shit 90 players in 2 seconds though is crazy. Haven't tried fortnite mobile but can't imagine it is far behind this.

You don't have to use facebook.. click the other button that says Guest. Your progress will still be tracked.

In early matches the game will mostly be populated with bots. Once you are higher rank it will start being mostly other human players.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Does this work with a MOGA pro controller on Android? The vanilla controls are not something I'd bother with again after playing the first match.

Ecto311

Does this work with a MOGA pro controller on Android? The vanilla controls are not something I'd bother with again after playing the first match.
I tried my xbox controller with BT and it didn't work. It works on the phone that is kinda cool but nothing in the game. Google showed me there is a sixaxis app that will let you or if you have root there are apps that can control more and possibly the game.

I did come in second in a game when the rest of my team died early. Way better than I have ever done in the real game. It is fun but shiiiiit it slaughters my battery. Even more so than clash royal.

Orginally downloaded fortnite for my phone but locked out due to invite only, so was happy to try this last night.
Pretty impressive, but needs more servers.

This is magical.
On my S7 it defaults to medium settings. I played a couple of matches like that. Very good performance and it basically looks like Call of Duty 2 with better vegetation. Phone gets hot, battery drops 15% or so in a ~20 minutes game. It's very obvious the map is full of bots when you start. The controls are surprisingly good. Sometimes I press the fire button by accident but who cares.
The people in charge of this version are geniuses, not only technically. It has so many options and they're all cleverly implemented, I feel fully in control. The QOL improvements over the PC version are great. The mobile-specific mechanics are awesome. I like the challenges and XP things, I wish the main game had them (they're great in Fortnite too).
The game flows very well. It's the authentic PUBG experience. I'm going to destroy my phone.
Fucking Tencent lmao, what a year they have!

Nikodemos

Apparently the games are seeded with bots until player numbers stabilize at a sufficiently high level.

So lotsa folks gunna eat mor chikin off bot kills until the playerbase expands.

pj

Banned
Apparently the games are seeded with bots until player numbers stabilize at a sufficiently high level.

So lotsa folks gunna eat mor chikin off bot kills until the playerbase expands.

The number of bots is based on your rank in the game, not the total number of players. When you first start out the game is almost all bots to give you easy kills and make you feel good. As you rank up it becomes mostly humans and games become more difficult.

prag16

Banned
The number of bots is based on your rank in the game, not the total number of players. When you first start out the game is almost all bots to give you easy kills and make you feel good. As you rank up it becomes mostly humans and games become more difficult.
Probably smart. The game could be soul crushing to the more casual mobile type of player otherwise.

Got my first Chicken Dinner on my first match then it gradually went downhill. It is a pretty decent port and free too. Would gladly pay some bucks for this.

Regret not spending all my cash from first week, now that new items are time restricted like games like gun bound.
Who wants a rare item that lasts 3days? Ugh

Top Bottom