• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 - is it just me or...

LakeEarth

do the CPU controlled opponents hit you about twice as hard compared to yourself? At first I thought I was seeing things, but after doing actual research, I believe I might be right on this.

When I play as Sagat and I hit someone with a Tiger fireball, it barely takes any damage (like a chip), yet when the CPU is controlling it, it takes off a decent chunk.

You can clearly see it when youve been Cody, and then face Cody... I swear the CPU only has to hit you like 5 times before you're done.

And a 3rd level fireball special from Ryu takes off about an inch if you're playing as him, but if you're facing him, almost twice that.

And don't get me started on throws. Am I crazy here or what?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It's the worst in Street Fighter II - Super II Turbo. ARGH!

LakeEarth

evil ways said:
It's been like that in almost all the Street Fighters except III.

Halleluga!!!

It wasn't as bad in Street Fighter 2 (though the CPU's lack of needing to charge charging moves does drive me insane, love seeing 2 Sonic Booms in a row) or the Marvel vs Capcom series. But Alpha is driving me insane because of the major difference.

Swear, trying to beat the game as Vega is probably the hardest thing to do. I mean honestly, a little girl's fist collides with my BLADES, and I get hurt!?!?

evil ways

AlphaSnake said:
It's the worst in Street Fighter II - Super II Turbo. ARGH!

Yep, jumping high kick followed by a sweep high kick usually takes nearly half your life if the CPU does it.

And don't get me started on repeated throws like Blanka's bite, and Zangief's squeeze claw of death, where the CPU sticks to you like crazy glue.

LakeEarth

The one thing that pisses me the most off in Alpha 3 is facing off against Chun-Li. She has this cartwheel kick which makes her invulnerable. Literally. You will kick, punch, hit low, hit high, sweep, axe kick, IT GOES RIGHT THROUGH HER until the very last frame of the move, and by that time you're screwed. What the hell is that? I don't think Chun-Li isn't overpowered enough!

kevm3

I found Alpha II and SF III fair. The only problem with Alpha II is against Sagat when he hits you with a tiger uppercut. That takes off crazy damage....

Hyper Street Fighter II is cheap as fuck though.I love how I uppercut someone as they jump me and they start falling, but while they're still in the air falling, they can grab and throw me. The computer doing throws are exceptionally cheap.

LakeEarth

Alpha II (though I don't own it, I've played it in the arcades) seemed fair, I could get to the fourth round before getting into any trouble. But there's something about Alpha III that just kills me. Even as my stronger guys (Ryu, Chun Li) I can have difficulty getting passed the first fricken guy (I might not be the greatest at these games, but I'm not that bad!)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I swear, your problem with SFA3 is you try to beat the other guy.

Heres a hint. Kill the CPU in style and embarrassment - Rainbow Mika bitches :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Heres a hint. Kill the CPU in style and embarrassment - Rainbow Mika bitches :p
Yeah, she's fun but I can usually beat the snot out of her. Though for some reason she really gives me trouble if I'm using Sakura.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Dice said:
Yeah, she's fun but I can usually beat the snot out of her. Though for some reason she really gives me trouble if I'm using Sakura.
Oh, CPU Mika stinks. My human controlled Mika has made some grown men cry.

Dice

I was talking about both actually, though if you say you're good I won't say anything until I play you (most likely never). You know, even on hardest difficulty I can't imagine having trouble on the first level. I smell a newb.

In response to the original post, are you aware that counter hits strike for more? If you're just doing moves all over the place and they smash you it is going to do more damage than usual.

Also Ryu's fireball super does much more damage up close, so were you close up or far away when comparing? As for Chun's move, I believe a dragon punch should knock her out of it, maybe even a hurricaine kick.

Swear, trying to beat the game as Vega is probably the hardest thing to do. I mean honestly, a little girl's fist collides with my BLADES, and I get hurt!?!?
Don't always use fierce.

LakeEarth

Dice said:
What difficulty level you playing at?

I'm playing the arcade version. I tried to adjust the difficulty level but I didn't see one.

And I honestly don't believe which round matters in this game. It's not which round I'm in, but who I'm facing. Like Mika, Guy and Rose just die quick no matter which round I'm in, yet Chun Li just always give me problems.

Anyways, thanks for the tips.

Dice

Ok so I never noticed it, but I just checked and you are right they do give more damage. It also appears to increase the further you get, either that or the first characters I fought were just weak. I don't think I ever noticed cause I always have damage at 4 instead of the default 2. It makes matches faster (like old school SF) and pretty much you ether beat the hell out of them or they beat it out of you, there isn't a lot of time to compare hit damage, lol.

LakeEarth

Ahh okay... well I'm not a master at these types of games, I just am a master at getting pissed off at videogames! But now that I read up on some faqs, I'm making it to Bison without losing around except to Chun Li or whenever Karin suddenly decides to become hard and start juggling and reversing everything I do.

Dice

Playing a few games with Ken I think that their damage increased through the course of the game, eventually reaching damage level 4 while yours stays at 2. I turned it to damage level 4 in the options and it seemed balanced at the end, but I don't know if that makes you overpowered for the beginning or not. It does make it so you can't post a high score, though (which the PS1 version didn't do).

MIMIC

Banned
I haven't played this game in a while, but I am the self-proclaimed PIMP of Street Fighter Alpha 3 (I swear I beat the game with Chun-Li on Level 8 difficulty with a perfect in nearly every match...except with M. Bison and I think one or two others).

Anyways, doesn't the damage from a projectile depend on the proximity? Since I haven't played it in a while, I'll have to check for myself.

(BTW, R. Mika is a fuckin bitch. I love wiping the floor with that hoe. :p)

Neo_ZX

It's not as obvious in Alpha 3 as it is in old SFII games. Holds should be banned from the game due to CPU cheapness. Charlie, Ken and Guy are the worst offenders followed by Blanka, Zangief and Dhalsim. I'd rather get hit by a level 3 super than caught in one of those holds.

One horrible imbalance in SFII:TWW was if Blanka would do a ball into my fireball you could sit back and watch the yellow bar deplete. Good times.

Top Bottom