• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2016

so im making a list , the list is actually bigger but for this year what am i missing?

upcoming%2BVita%2Bgames.PNG

Quite a bit.

MeiQ - September 13th
World Of Final Fantasy - October 25th
Cold Steel 2 - Fall
Steins Gate 0 - TBA (probably Fall)
Superdimension SeHa is also announced for October 18th

I'm sure I'm missing a few as well.

Yeah - it was the same deal with the first two games. This is why ZTD was uncertain for a long time.

It's so sad. The series deserves a lot more praise over there too. Well 999 sold well enough, but but VLR took a dive. And ZTD isn't pulling any impressing numbers either. Japan loves Steins;Gate, Danganronpa and more, yet they don't buy ZE games. Such a strange bunch those folks.

Shizuka

It's so sad. The series deserves a lot more praise over there too. Well 999 sold well enough, but but VLR took a dive. And ZTD isn't pulling any impressing numbers either. Japan loves Steins;Gate, Danganronpa and more, yet they don't buy ZE games. Such a strange bunch those folks.

To be honest, they've experienced all the Uchikoshi twists already with the Infinity series. When you're rehashing content like that, you bet there'll be people skipping your work.

LoveCake

Sorry, I hope this is ok to post/ask here (I thought it the best thread to ask in).

Going to change my password for PSN just wondering the best way to change it, I have PS3, PS4 and Vita, I have seen on the Sony site a video on how to do it and they do it via the PS4, just wondering if this is the best way to change it or is changing it via the Sony PSN website better?

RK128

Sorry, I hope this is ok to post/ask here (I thought it the best thread to ask in).

Going to change my password for PSN just wondering the best way to change it, I have PS3, PS4 and Vita, I have seen on the Sony site a video on how to do it and they do it via the PS4, just wondering if this is the best way to change it or is changing it via the Sony PSN website better?

On Vita, you can go into the systems PSN Settings and go to the 'Password' Option. Once you click it, you can punch in a new password and then you just add that into your PS3/PS4/PSN PC Settings.

Edit: Also incpdo, you are missing Asterisk War (July) and Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Fall 2016) on your list :).

Pata

Vita version of Moon Hunters "isn't looking great". Here's what the kickstarter update says about it:
What about VITA? Honestly, the Vita version isn't looking great. We haven't outright cancelled it yet because we're still hoping things will pull together -- but there are fewer and fewer people using Vita, and it's getting harder and harder for newer Unity versions (and various plugins etc) to run on it. So... we haven't given up hope quite yet, but we're definitely discouraged. We know some people will deserve a refund if we cancel Vita, so we're naturally reluctant until we're 100% certain.

Also, PS4 version has been "slightly" delayed:
Unfortunately, due to a few persistent technical issues somewhere between Kitfox and Sony, our launch on PS4 has had to be slightly delayed, in both North America and Europe. We aren't quite sure of the exact date yet, but we're hoping for Extremely Soon. We're sorry for the delay -- I promise you that all mistakes made were honest and we have been doing our best to prevent further problems.

Link to the full Kickstarter update (found via r/vita)

incpdo

On Vita, you can go into the systems PSN Settings and go to the 'Password' Option. Once you click it, you can punch in a new password and then you just add that into your PS3/PS4/PSN PC Settings.

Edit: Also incpdo, you are missing Asterisk War (July) and Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Fall 2016) on your list :).

oh mannn my list is crap haha i have to fix it , so we are getting lots of games in the following months

RK128

There are way, way too many indies and wild card releases to include, I'd just stick to localizations.

Localization's are the best ones to list for the time being; indie games can be pushed back to later dates and sometimes have more flexible release time-frames (due to all the porting work, engine work and so on getting the game to run on Vita).

autoduelist

There are way, way too many indies and wild card releases to include, I'd just stick to localizations.

it would be nice to have a full list though. I particularly like the 'genre' column, because honestly, it's getting hard to keep track of everything.

I don't even need new releases at this point, between my backlog and games i still want to get that have already released (digimon, ys, lost dimension, etc).

Vita version of Moon Hunters "isn't looking great". Here's what the kickstarter update says about it:

What a crock of shit. Their excuse is basically "we can't be bothered optimizing". I have a hard time believing things like the Unity claim seeing how Zeboyd Games are giving regular updates about Cosmic Star Heroine's progress using Unity.

Also this gem:

but there are fewer and fewer people using Vita

Certainly hurt Volume, Axiom Verge etc... wait.

What a crock of shit. Their excuse is basically "we can't be bothered optimizing". I have a hard time believing things like the Unity claim seeing how Zeboyd Games are giving regular updates about Cosmic Star Heroine's progress using Unity.

Also this gem:

Was never interested in this but lol at the excuses.

RK128

Also this gem:

Never was interested in the game but odd hearing that comment, more so with 2016 proving that the Vita is still a platform that can sell a lot of software. Many games are still coming out for it and people are buying new games too (God Eater, ZTD and Oden Sphere made the top 10 Vita list for NA for example), so strange hearing that studio say 'not a large enough userbase' when its clear we buy a lot of games.

Never was interested in the game but odd hearing that comment, more so with 2016 proving that the Vita is still a platform that can sell a lot of software. Many games are still coming out for it and people are buying new games too (God Eater, ZTD and Oden Sphere made the top 10 Vita list for NA for example), so strange hearing that studio say 'not a large enough userbase' when its clear we buy a lot of games.

You're the second person I've seen cite localized games as a sign that Vita has a userbase and is continuing to do well, and while that's true for those types of games, I'm not sure it translates across well to all indies. After all, WiiU sells lots of Nintendo first-party software but it doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a decent environment for every indie.

Unless there's a genre-match (which there actually is for Moon Hunters, since it's an action-rpg) then you are kinda rolling the dice with releasing on Vita.

Except I don't think that's true, because like I mentioned, we've gotten data of other indies that have done well on Vita. Everything from Mike Bithell tweeting about unexpected Vita support for Volume; Dan Adelman saying he was happy with Axiom Verge sales on Vita; Jeff Minter pointing out how much more profitable Vita development was for him than iOS; Brian Provinciano saying how Vita is an incredibly healthy market for him; Shovel Knight selling pretty much as well on Vita as XB1 etc.

Obviously there's a massive mish-mash of genres, project sizes and budgets in that list and it's not representative of the entire indie market on Vita. But what I think it does show is this - if you create a good indie game; work on optimizing your Vita port so it runs well and you engage with the Vita community about your product, then you're more than rewarded with sales. It might not be breaking sales records like PS4 or whatever else it's doing, but the core is there and it's more than capable of making your game profitable.

And I just wish more developers saw that.

RK128

You're the second person I've seen cite localized games as a sign that Vita has a userbase and is continuing to do well, and while that's true for those types of games, I'm not sure it translates across well to all indies. After all, WiiU sells lots of Nintendo first-party software but it doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a decent environment for every indie.

Unless there's a genre-match (which there actually is for Moon Hunters, since it's an action-rpg) then you are kinda rolling the dice with releasing on Vita.

Except I don't think that's true, because like I mentioned, we've gotten data of other indies that have done well on Vita. Everything from Mike Bithell tweeting about unexpected Vita support for Volume; Dan Adelman saying he was happy with Axiom Verge sales on Vita; Jeff Minter pointing out how much more profitable Vita development was for him than iOS; Brian Provinciano saying how Vita is an incredibly healthy market for him; Shovel Knight selling pretty much as well on Vita as XB1 etc.

Obviously there's a massive mish-mash of genres, project sizes and budgets in that list and it's not representative of the entire indie market on Vita. But what I think it does show is this - if you create a good indie game; work on optimizing your Vita port so it runs well and you engage with the Vita community about your product, then you're more than rewarded with sales. It might not be breaking sales records like PS4 or whatever else it's doing, but the core is there and it's more than capable of making your game profitable.

And I just wish more developers saw that.

I wasn't saying indie games sold badly; if Steamworld Dig didn't do well for Image & Form on Vita, then we wouldn't have gotten the great Steamworld Heist on Vita for example. And the other points you note with Axiom Verge and Shovel Knight are great examples as well.

My general point is that indie studios do well on Vita, just like JP third parties too. Just was making an example with localization's, as we would be getting them if JP games sold badly on Vita.

In many cases, they sell BETTER on Vita then PS4 (as Oden Sphere and God Eater didn't even chart on PS4 but did on Vita toward as part of the top 5 games in NA PSN Sold).

Shizuka

In many cases, they sell BETTER on Vita then PS4 (as Oden Sphere and God Eater didn't even chart on PS4 but did on Vita toward as part of the top 5 games in NA PSN Sold).

That doesn't mean much, the #20 on the PS4 chart may have sold better than the #1 Vita title.

incpdo

That doesn't mean much, the #20 on the PS4 chart may have sold better than the #1 Vita title.

That logic is true when we are comparing a 60 million console user base vs a 13 million , but translated in numbers: if the indie software sales numbers on Vita are higher they should release the game on Vita too , lower user base has nothing to do with that , sales do. the attach rate on Vita is higher so we might match what the 60 million user base is selling in a lot of cases because of that. People doesnt buy a Ps4 to play indie games but i know lots of people who enjoy indie games on Vita better and bought the console because of this .
I think this is just a matter of time , the indie developers have to optimize the game for a lot of time and the release might delay a lot too, this is of course a risk to be taken. More if you consider the Vita is having his probably last 2 years of life . So "why to take that risk?" IMO if the game is good it will sell very well on Vita but maybe the game isnt as appealing and the risk is of course higher.

Translating my bad writing : if a 60 million user base sells 23k of their game and a 13 million user base buys 25k of the same game , it is something you shouldnt ignore. i believe they are scare to do the effort of optimizing for a vita port to sell less

incpdo

Later tonight, plan on posting a Retrospective piece on the original Klonoa - Door to Phantomile on the PS1 (plus some coverage on the Wii Remake) :). It is a sadly underrated series and it will be hosted on my own personal wordpress site :D.

In the meantime though, want to share one of my favorite tracks from the game with you all :D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUD7xVkcZpo&list=PL924C498E5CAC6CD2&index=13

you can play it on Vita too! i love this game , a personal favorite from the PsOne era

Shizuka

That logic is true when we are comparing a 60 million console user base vs a 13 million , but translated in numbers: if the indie software sales numbers on Vita are higher they should release the game on Vita too , lower user base has nothing to do with that , sales do. the attach rate on Vita is higher so we might match what the 60 million user base is selling in a lot of cases because of that. People doesnt buy a Ps4 to play indie games but i know lots of people who enjoy indie games on Vita better and bought the console because of this .
I think this is just a matter of time , the indie developers have to optimize the game for a lot of time and the release might delay a lot too, this is of course a risk to be taken. More if you consider the Vita is having his probably last 2 years of life . So "why to take that risk?" IMO if the game is good it will sell very well on Vita but maybe the game isnt as appealing and the risk is of course higher.

Translating my bad writing : if a 60 million user base sells 23k of their game and a 13 million user base buys 25k of the same game , it is something you shouldnt ignore. i believe they are scare to do the effort of optimizing for a vita port to sell less

It's just like Saphirax said in different words:

Yes - the PS4 user base is much bigger than the Vita user base. It's nice that GE:R and OS charted but that doesn't tell us anything.

RK128

you can play it on Vita too! i love this game , a personal favorite from the PsOne era

That is the version I'm basing the Retrospective on, with special section devoted to the Wii version's differences :).

The game feels so great on Vita and it is such a classic.

Klonoa 2 is also a fantastic platformer that I'm surprised never got released on the PS3 or PS4 as part of PS2 Classics :l. Such a good game few know about.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I bought Tales of Hearts R, i only played few minutes but i really don't like the use of both analog and dpad to move during fights, i hope i will get used to it because i bought it for the action battles.

Yes - the PS4 user base is much bigger than the Vita user base. It's nice that GE:R and OS charted but that doesn't tell us anything.

Pretty much. IF you even look at the GAF GE:R OT with the google docs thing, most users are on PS4 with like 3/10 or 12 on Vita.

23qwerty

I do not fucking understand how Sony has not fixed psn download speeds yet. it does not take several hours to download 3gb on my connection.

RK128

I bought Tales of Hearts R, i only played few minutes but i really don't like the use of both analog and dpad to move during fights, i hope i will get used to it because i bought it for the action battles.

The reason the controls work that way is to accommodate players in Japan used to the original version (DS) controls and working with the free control the analog stick provides on Vita.

It is an odd choice, but considering how the combat feels very Smash Brothers-like (to me at least) I didn't mind that too much.

So, with the news that Valkyrie Drive is coming west from PQube, I wondered what you guys thought about what this means going forward.

There was always kind of an assumption that Marvelous games would get handled by XSEED or wouldn't get brought across. If PQube really have got their hands on it (and it's not just a distribution deal for Marvelous Europe) then this opens up the door for things like Luminous Arc, Net High and Uppers.

But this also begs the question of what caused XSEED to give up on these games in the first place? Surely they had first right of refusal on them. Is it something like 2015's Vita exclusives not selling well? Because I really don't think that's a good metric, seeing as one is from a niche horror series that they've always said was a passion project from Tom, and the other was completely overshadowed by a superior PS4 game from the same series.

It's a strange landscape we're in now for localizations. Back in 2014 if you'd have asked me who I thought Vita's strongest supporters were, I would have said NISA and XSEED. Now, both seem to be passing over a number of Vita exclusives and although they're still bringing multi-plats with a Vita SKU, it feels like they're really backing off the console.

Yet in their place, Aksys and PQube really seem to have stepped up their game (PQube literally came out of nowhere, from low-key racing games to going mad with localizations). And we're getting stronger than ever Bandai-Namco support, as well as Square Enix finally acknowledging the console.

With Atlus and Idea Factory still chugging along as well as ever, the console's kinda in a better place than ever if you're a fan of Japanese titles, which isn't something I thought I'd be saying as it approaches its 5th year anniversary.

Saphirax

So, with the news that Valkyrie Drive is coming west from PQube, I wondered what you guys thought about what this means going forward.

There was always kind of an assumption that Marvelous games would get handled by XSEED or wouldn't get brought across. If PQube really have got their hands on it (and it's not just a distribution deal for Marvelous Europe) then this opens up the door for things like Luminous Arc, Net High and Uppers.

But this also begs the question of what caused XSEED to give up on these games in the first place? Surely they had first right of refusal on them. Is it something like 2015's Vita exclusives not selling well? Because I really don't think that's a good metric, seeing as one is from a niche horror series that they've always said was a passion project from Tom, and the other was completely overshadowed by a superior PS4 game from the same series.

It's a strange landscape we're in now for localizations. Back in 2014 if you'd have asked me who I thought Vita's strongest supporters were, I would have said NISA and XSEED. Now, both seem to be passing over a number of Vita exclusives and although they're still bringing multi-plats with a Vita SKU, it feels like they're really backing off the console.

Yet in their place, Aksys and PQube really seem to have stepped up their game (PQube literally came out of nowhere, from low-key racing games to going mad with localizations). And we're getting stronger than ever Bandai-Namco support, as well as Square Enix finally acknowledging the console.

With Atlus and Idea Factory still chugging along as well as ever, the console's kinda in a better place than ever if you're a fan of Japanese titles, which isn't something I thought I'd be saying as it approaches its 5th year anniversary.

There are a few 'inconsistencies' among other companies as well. Atlus bringing Caligula over is awesome, but when you have games such as Utawarerumono which is for Vita AND PS4, you have to wonder what happened there.

As for Aksys you have to remember that they localized mediocre to downright terrible games. I'm glad to see they've been able to expand their output. I assume that bringing over otome games is more profitable for them than bringing games such as Langrisser.

XSEED seems to be shifting their focus from Vita only to PS4/Vita along with some PC ports. The only thing I'm worried about is if we're ever going to get CS3, especially if there's no ps4 version.

Like I mentioned before, I'm really happy Aksys is bringing over Tokyo Xanadu and others, not just because I'm interested in those games but because now they have more opportunities to bring good games over and they don't have to settle for less. Same goes for PQube.

Now if only NISA would wake up and see how many of their own games they ignored.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The reason the controls work that way is to accommodate players in Japan used to the original version (DS) controls and working with the free control the analog stick provides on Vita.

It is an odd choice, but considering how the combat feels very Smash Brothers-like (to me at least) I didn't mind that too much.

I see, I'm starting to get used to it, but everything look a little too confused to me(controls, menus, level up etc).

There are a few 'inconsistencies' among other companies as well. Atlus bringing Caligula over is awesome, but when you have games such as Utawarerumono which is for Vita AND PS4, you have to wonder what happened there.

As for Aksys you have to remember that they localized mediocre to downright terrible games. I'm glad to see they've been able to expand their output. I assume that bringing over otome games is more profitable for them than bringing games such as Langrisser.

XSEED seems to be shifting their focus from Vita only to PS4/Vita along with some PC ports. The only thing I'm worried about is if we're ever going to get CS3, especially if there's no ps4 version.

Like I mentioned before, I'm really happy Aksys is bringing over Tokyo Xanadu and others, not just because I'm interested in those games but because now they have more opportunities to bring good games over and they don't have to settle for less. Same goes for PQube.

Now if only NISA would wake up and see how many of their own games they ignored.

Aksys also did mind zero lol. PQube the best though. Never thought Id see S;G on Vita in English and we are getting 0 as well.

The only thing I'm worried about is if we're ever going to get CS3, especially if there's no ps4 version.

Uhh...ya, no one should be expecting CS3 to skip PS4, not with Falcom pushing onto the system now. If it skips anything, it's going to be PS3. Hell, even if it were to get a PS3 version in Japan, no one should expect it on PS3 over here in late 2018, let alone physically.

The Atlus/Caligula announcement was really awesome, because I was really uncertain on that one with it being decidedly 2017, but it's good to know the partnership is still in place.

And I assume that's what happened with Utawarerumono. There were some rumors going around that Aquaplus didn't like the way that... Dungeon Travelers 2 was handled? (might've been Tears to Tiara), so that partnership kinda ended there (which is a damn shame, because Utawarerumono looks the best of the bunch).

I forgot Aksys handled Langrisser, lol. They certainly have brought over some trite over the years (I didn't like Sorcery Saga either, and everyone seems to rail on Mind=0), so it is nice to see them getting higher-profile stuff like Exist Archive and Tokyo Xanadu as well as clear passion projects like otome.

I can see the thought process behind most of their choices though - Mind=0 for Persona fans; Langrisser for Fire Emblem fans etc.

I don't think there's any universe where Cold Steel 3 doesn't exist as a PS4 game btw. It's not gonna be Vita exclusive, PS3 is dying in Japan so there's nowhere else for it to go really (short of a complete shift from Sony to Nintendo).

I'm quite happy with the situation at the moment. It's a shame XSEED are shifting away from Vita, but at least the games I want are coming over (I'm REALLY excited for Exist Archive and Tokyo Xanadu). The problem with NISA's games is that they're not really big/attractive enough for other companies to go after so even if other companies could negotiate something, there's probably other things they'd rather go after.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Utawarerumono obvious answer would be amount of work / $$$ in does not even out sales wise. They had a pretty good test bed with TTT2, as its very, very similar in design of long story bits with SRPG in between.

They are better off doing more reasonable projects that can reach a more broad audience than trying something that takes far too much work for a nice audience.

Not exactly hard to see as why they would want to skip it. Does not help either that the first game never made its way to the West outside of the Anime, which is far from being the same. Game most def does take enough from the first title so that someone who is unfamiliar with the characters / background would be totally lost past a certain point in the game.

Am sure would not really help gaining a large audience either if they will be leaving the game in JP only as with how much lines there are in the game and by various characters making a dub track would not make much sense.

Saphirax

Uhh...ya, no one should be expecting CS3 to skip PS4, not with Falcom pushing onto the system now. If it skips anything, it's going to be PS3. Hell, even if it were to get a PS3 version in Japan, no one should expect it on PS3 over here in late 2018, let alone physically.

The Atlus/Caligula announcement was really awesome, because I was really uncertain on that one with it being decidedly 2017, but it's good to know the partnership is still in place.

And I assume that's what happened with Utawarerumono. There were some rumors going around that Aquaplus didn't like the way that... Dungeon Travelers 2 was handled? (might've been Tears to Tiara), so that partnership kinda ended there (which is a damn shame, because Utawarerumono looks the best of the bunch).

I forgot Aksys handled Langrisser, lol. They certainly have brought over some trite over the years (I didn't like Sorcery Saga either, and everyone seems to rail on Mind=0), so it is nice to see them getting higher-profile stuff like Exist Archive and Tokyo Xanadu as well as clear passion projects like otome.

I can see the thought process behind most of their choices though - Mind=0 for Persona fans; Langrisser for Fire Emblem fans etc.

I don't think there's any universe where Cold Steel 3 doesn't exist as a PS4 game btw. It's not gonna be Vita exclusive, PS3 is dying in Japan so there's nowhere else for it to go really (short of a complete shift from Sony to Nintendo).

I'm quite happy with the situation at the moment. It's a shame XSEED are shifting away from Vita, but at least the games I want are coming over (I'm REALLY excited for Exist Archive and Tokyo Xanadu). The problem with NISA's games is that they're not really big/attractive enough for other companies to go after so even if other companies could negotiate something, there's probably other things they'd rather go after.

CS3 is most likely going to be for the ps4 as well yeah. I just mentioned it in the odd case that it isn't :p.

Utawarerumono obvious answer would be amount of work / $$$ in does not even out sales wise. They had a pretty good test bed with TTT2, as its very, very similar in design of long story bits with SRPG in between.

They are better off doing more reasonable projects that can reach a more broad audience than trying something that takes far too much work for a nice audience.

Not exactly hard to see as why they would want to skip it. Does not help either that the first game never made its way to the West outside of the Anime, which is far from being the same. Game most def does take enough from the first title so that someone who is unfamiliar with the characters / background would be totally lost past a certain point in the game.

Am sure would not really help gaining a large audience either if they will be leaving the game in JP only as with how much lines there are in the game and by various characters making a dub track would not make much sense.

I do agree with you that it could be likely that Utawarerumono isn't profitable, not to mention the first game which wouldn't be available to us. However I wouldn't say TTT2 was a good test bed for such games. Mostly because it was ps3 exclusive and it came near the end of ps3's life.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
CS3 is most likely going to be for the ps4 as well yeah. I just mentioned it in the odd case that it isn't :p.

I do agree with you that it could be likely that Utawarerumono isn't profitable, not to mention the first game which wouldn't be available to us. However I wouldn't say TTT2 was a good test bed for such games. Mostly because it was ps3 exclusive and it came near the end of ps3's life.

It doesnt really matter as companies in general the ones controlling the money could care less about when something happened, as all they care about are the end results. Since that was $$$ in and if it does not match expected profits, then one cant expect another chance to be taken because it "might" do better. Projects are already undertaken ahead of time with projected sales and such that also calculates for the timeframe situation with a release. Which is why the "excuse" wont really fly.

Its just how those in control of the budget are. Same goes for AAA devs and why we are missing certain series these days.

Game very well still could come out but without any real marketing push or something to launch it off of cant see it doing well regardless of the game being good or not. Would be interesting trying to see reviewers review the game as they would have to sink quite a good amount of time into it to clear the game. Which a lot of it is really just going through the event scenes and such. General info says about 34~ hours if you dont skip any of the scenes. That does not include if one grinds or not for exp in order to make story progression easier with SRPG parts. As that varies from player to player.

Would be nice if it did get a chance in the West, though honestly really would be wasting a great overall series by not having the first title for people to go through first. The attachment to the title just is not the same without it honestly.

autoduelist

I don't buy the 'less vita users' excuse simply because I'm not sure that's true.

Off topic, I hope sony gives the handheld market one more go. I don't know exactly what it should be -- maybe a table with playstation controls?.... but I want it.

I do not fucking understand how Sony has not fixed psn download speeds yet. it does not take several hours to download 3gb on my connection.

Maybe it's your connection? My stuff downloads fine. I've only had noticeably slow download issues twice, and both times were on days of 'big' releases.

Top Bottom