• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 3: Getting The Knack Of These Games

Joni

Ps4 lineup is good imo (already own GalakZ). Ps3 lineup is a joke (with good games tbh). Already own FlameOver. And isn't Reality Fighters a game you need a qr card to play it

No, it is a regular AR game that just puts the characters before whatever is on the camera.

GwG has been constantly good for over a year now. Problem is - aaa fanboys will hype this month up as the best thing ever.

This current month of GwG reminds me of the golden days of PS3 PS+: two retail games I wouldn't have bought myself but that I will now get the chance to try thanks to GwG.

Mind you, i have always found at least 1-2 games every month from PS+ worth checking out but it's hard not to look at Sherlock and LotF and think, man, I wish those we're coming to PS+ (yes, i know Sherlock was already a PS+ game but it was the not-so-great ps3 version of the game).

VLiberty

This current month of GwG reminds me of the golden days of PS3 PS+: two retail games I wouldn't have bought myself but that I will now get the chance to try thanks to GwG.

Mind you, i have always found at least 1-2 games every month from PS+ worth checking out but it's hard not to look at Sherlock and LotF and think, man, I wish those we're coming to PS+ (yes, i know Sherlock was already a PS+ game but it was the not-so-great ps3 version of the game).

The way you(and many other people of course) put it make it seems like it matters more if it's retail/aaa or not rather than if it's a quality game or not.

To be honest I've had that feel of "envy" towards GwG games more than once, but half of those time it was caused by indie games(and the other half were 360 AAA games), I've hardly desired any of the xbox one AAA games they've offered on there except Rayman Legends. This month is no exception. Tastes play a big role in this(I'm not into either soulslike or p'n'c games) but even then, it's not like we're talking some exceptionally amazing games, or at least it doesn't look like it.

Gaaraz

This is the first time I'm genuinely considering not renewing my PS+ subscription... now if only I didn't have a huge backlog of games to get through! ;_;

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm not gonna lie. I didn't think it would ever happen but I probably am at the point where when my sub runs out I may consider not renewing. The service really hasn't been good as of late. Not even close. The IGC needs to start showing some drastic improvement fast.

My biggest annoyance in the grand scheme of things with IGC is that the PS4 is outselling its competitors by a ridiculous margin. Its also bound to sell a fuck ton in the upcoming years to the point I can't imagine the Playstation brand ever made this much freaking money for Sony, and yet they can't bring us the goods.

Hasney

My biggest annoyance in the grand scheme of things with IGC is that the PS4 is outselling its competitors by a ridiculous margin. Its also bound to sell a fuck ton in the upcoming years to the point I can't imagine the Playstation brand ever made this much freaking money for Sony, and yet they can't bring us the goods.

They should just ditch Vita and spend that money on PS4. Then again, I'd be salty if whatever game it is isn't underground or day of release thing. I own all the retail games I would want to try.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
They should just ditch Vita and spend that money on PS4. Then again, I'd be salty if whatever game it is isn't underground or day of release thing. I own all the retail games I would want to try.
Fuck you. If they're going to ditch anything it should be PS3. Sony don't show their best platform enough love. They should support it more, not less.

Hasney

Fuck you. If they're going to ditch anything it should be PS3. Sony don't show their best platform enough love. They should support it more, not less.

That's the point, because they've not shown it enough love, the barrel is getting dry other than newer indie games. Even then, some more recent indie games have cancelled their Vita versions, which is a huge shame.

Unless they start handing out some of the bigger old games for Vita be fine with them ditching the Vita and PS3 if that means more consistent quality. Maybe size it down to one game for each of the older platforms. There is always cross buy for the PS4 games, which should at least be one game a month so that the Vita gets some love.

And I really don't care about people that still play only on PS3 at this point.

VLiberty

Ditching ps3 and vita just to have first wave ps4 retail games? Holy shit guys you are crazy. Truly crazy

If anything I'd settle for a 2+1+1 solution, with the condition that 1 ps4 game has to be big(otherwise it would be stupid not to just stick with 6 games) but the other has to be dd. Unless both ps3 and vita games are cross buy. Oh, and no crappy games like reality fighters. I can tolerate 1 crappy game out of six, but I'll be much less inclined to do so if the base number is 4.

But honestly let's just stick with this setup.

Ditching ps3 and vita just to have first wave ps4 retail games?

Nah that's not what I'm saying. But as you said, ditching something like Reality Fighters wouldn't hurt if it instead increases the quality of the rest of the games. I'd take one good Vita game over 2 bad ones. (Flame Over is apparently alright though)

RK128

Nice suggestion buddy ;). Ditch Vita owners who got the service for years at this point just to make PS4 owners happy......that isn't a good idea at all :l.

It will piss off people like me who only game on PS3/Vita and its a slap in the face to Vita owners to got the system because of PlayStation Plus. I got my Vita thanks to PlayStation Plus giving me Vita games despite me not owning one, and that was a nice incentive to get the console. Fast forward to this year and I own a lot of games for the console :). I love my Vita and it was a combination of PS+ and Vita Gaf that sold me on the console.

Edit: I read more of your post and removed the more bitter comments I had. Sorry if I came off mean, just don't like that idea honestly :(.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I agree, but that opinion won't be popular with the Vita cultists around here. ;)

To be honest I wish they'd ditch the PS3 too. Maybe keep 1 Vita game, 1 PS3 game, and 3 PS4 games, I'd be happy with that if the games aren't throwaway dreck.

VLiberty

Nah that's not what I'm saying. But as you said, ditching something like Reality Fighters wouldn't hurt if it instead increases the quality of the rest of the games. I'd take one good Vita game over 2 bad ones. (Flame Over is apparently alright though)
True but this is not the usual month. We usually do not get crappy games, we usually do not get 2007 games on ps3, we usually don't get 3 games of the same genre(and they would be 4 if AAC won the vote)

Judging by the past months I wouldn't ditch any slot from ps3 and vita.

Finally got around to playing Styx . . . and gave up at level 2 after several cheap deaths due to the poor controls and platforming mechanics. It's sad because the core stealth gameplay and design seems solid, but the platforming is just so rough it made it unplayable for me.

At least my backlog just got a little smaller.

xrnzaaas

Finally got around to playing Styx . . . and gave up at level 2 after several cheap deaths due to the poor controls and platforming mechanics. It's sad because the core stealth gameplay and design seems solid, but the platforming is just so rough it made it unplayable for me.

Yeah I love stealth games, but I had the same reaction.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Eh, never had too much problems with the platforming. It's the long-ass loading times I couldn't stomach. If I didn't have a laptop with GAF around to distract me I would have given up for sure.

Alpende

Exactly how I felt. Hanging from a ledge is a pain the ass and that shouldn't be the case in a stealth game. It just felt clunky

El_Cinefilo

Games are up now in UK, as usual they seemed to have messed up since Flame Over is free on PS4 too (it isn't cross buy, I bought the Vita version)

So I guess get it while you can folks.

VLiberty

usually start popping up around 2-5pm est.

also, is broforce crossbuy? Might be interested in it if there's a vita version, otherwise i'll just stick to my PC copy

It was coming to Vita with crossbuy but Devolver thought it was ok to cancel the Vita versions of their previously announced games, so we aren't getting Broforce Vita nor Not a Hero Vita.

xrnzaaas

This is very bizarre. So US, Canada & Spain (?) are getting I Am Alive and the rest of Europe Stardust Ultra. Imo the EU PS3 players got robbed. ;p

Don't quite know where to ask this but is anyone else from the EU in the PS Now beta? I tried it out yesterday, received a 30 day subscription. There's not many games, but I did try out Shadow of the Colossus. Amazing game obviously, but it seemed very blurry and janky. Wonder if that's because of the connection/service or the remaster/port.

0OoO0

Had some fun with the character creation tool of this month's free PSN vita game Reality Fighter.

kRvhj5Ol.jpg

B5ODdwal.jpg

1ntpACzl.jpg

00GiQbzl.jpg

stMJS3gl.jpg

e0eVLfel.jpg

CAJ3MqLl.jpg

ymsjZJZl.jpg

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Don't quite know where to ask this but is anyone else from the EU in the PS Now beta? I tried it out yesterday, received a 30 day subscription. There's not many games, but I did try out Shadow of the Colossus. Amazing game obviously, but it seemed very blurry and janky. Wonder if that's because of the connection/service or the remaster/port.
I'm in the UK and have the full PS Now, but I also had the beta when it was available here months ago. Even with th beta I was getting perfect performance. The service is fantastic, so it's likely your connection.

The way you(and many other people of course) put it make it seems like it matters more if it's retail/aaa or not rather than if it's a quality game or not.

To be honest I've had that feel of "envy" towards GwG games more than once, but half of those time it was caused by indie games(and the other half were 360 AAA games), I've hardly desired any of the xbox one AAA games they've offered on there except Rayman Legends. This month is no exception. Tastes play a big role in this(I'm not into either soulslike or p'n'c games) but even then, it's not like we're talking some exceptionally amazing games, or at least it doesn't look like it.

It's not that the games are retail games so much as theyre interesting retail games that I've been wanting to pick up for a while and now poof i have them as part of GwG. Hell, Sherlock was already given away on the PS3 so the only "new" game im getting is Lords of the Fallen, which has been on my radar for a while now.

Do i enjoy my indie games? yeah, i love getting Galak-Z this month. But if given the choice of a decent indie game or a decent retail bigger budget game why wouldn't i always side with the bigger production if everything else is equal? It's a better deal, right?

dorikyasu

As mentioned already, Flame Over really needs tutorial or better intro stage.
This is the first month that I'm actually disappointed in PS+ free game offering.

VLiberty

It's not that the games are retail games so much as theyre interesting retail games that I've been wanting to pick up for a while and now poof i have them as part of GwG. Hell, Sherlock was already given away on the PS3 so the only "new" game im getting is Lords of the Fallen, which has been on my radar for a while now.

Do i enjoy my indie games? yeah, i love getting Galak-Z this month. But if given the choice of a decent indie game or a decent retail bigger budget game why wouldn't i always side with the bigger production if everything else is equal? It's a better deal, right?

No, it isn't. unless both games are exactly as appealing to you to the point that you would have to set an arbitrary criteria to choose, like, for example, budget.

The reasoning behind this is exactly what I was talking about. It seems like budget is some kind of added value - it isn't, I don't gain any benefit from knowing that a game has a higher budget.

Of course it means that if a decent big budget game looks more appealing than a decent indie game, the logical choice would be the decent big budget game. But not because it's got a bigger budget, but because it looks more appealing.

might have written a bit poorly. Sorry

Curufinwe

Galak-Z seemed alright until the first time I died. Perma-death is such a bummer. I don't want to replay what I've already done.

So that means they never added the Arcade mode from the PC version

I looked at the dev's Twitter and it sounds like it and season 5 are coming soon.

No, it isn't. unless both games are exactly as appealing to you to the point that you would have to set an arbitrary criteria to choose, like, for example, budget.

The reasoning behind this is exactly what I was talking about. It seems like budget is some kind of added value - it isn't, I don't gain any benefit from knowing that a game has a higher budget.

Of course it means that if a decent big budget game looks more appealing than a decent indie game, the logical choice would be the decent big budget game. But not because it's got a bigger budget, but because it looks more appealing.

might have written a bit poorly. Sorry

I don't care if the indie game looks ten times as awesome as the retail game, if I want to play both, I would rather get the retail game for free and spend $5-10 on the indie game than get the indie game free and spend $40-60 on the retail game.

Joni

I don't care if the indie game looks ten times as awesome as the retail game, if I want to play both, I would rather get the retail game for free and spend $5-10 on the indie game than get the indie game free and spend $40-60 on the retail game.

I'd however rather spend the €7 for which I can find the physical version of Lords of the Fallen nowadays, and get a €15 indie for free. The €40-60 retail game will never become a free game before it hits budget tire in stores.

Top Bottom