• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 3: Getting The Knack Of These Games

illusionary

GWG hinted to blockbusters for April, I wonder what Sony will do. Well, we already know Dead Star is one of the games :(

Where's this been hinted at? I've not really been looking out for comments about April's offerings just yet but would be interested to see what's been said.

Galak-Z is good. Real good. I'm terrible at it but it's a lot of fun. It's also pretty long if you're terrible and only play on Rogue.

17-Bit are awesome, Skulls of the Shogun was also great and I love the blatant callbacks to that game.

Matush

I mean are we really getting another 2D space shooter after 1 month? As much as I like indie games (RL, OlliOlli were in my Top 10 last year), Sony really needs to step it up in terms of diversity of genres/type of games lately. Way too many 2D sidescrollers.

And in comparison to this months GwG, they need to bring AAA titles ASAP.

LakeEarth

Galak-Z is good. Real good. I'm terrible at it but it's a lot of fun. It's also pretty long if you're terrible and only play on Rogue.

17-Bit are awesome, Skulls of the Shogun was also great and I love the blatant callbacks to that game.
It's a cool game. I don't like how your health doesn't recover between missions AND you can only repair one block per level (unless you find the guy in the stage somewhere, in which you can get one more).

I mean are we really getting another 2D space shooter after 1 month? As much as I like indie games (RL, OlliOlli were in my Top 10 last year), Sony really needs to step it up in terms of diversity of genres/type of games lately. Way too many 2D sidescrollers.

And in comparison to this months GwG, they need to bring AAA titles ASAP.

We had 4 months straight of adventure games for the PS4 last fall. Diversity is not their strong suit, that's for sure.

That is awful, that is an indie game.

I'm not hating on indie games. I hate the absolute mediocrity that we're getting.

Something like Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge would make me ecstatic.

The Wolf Among Us is simply a great game to get, there is no doubt about this.

Toki767

PS+ did get The Walking Dead Season 2 didn't it? Or some Telltale game that I'm forgetting.

I didn't really like Sunset Overdrive much either.

PS+ did get The Walking Dead Season 2 didn't it? Or some Telltale game that I'm forgetting.

I didn't really like Sunset Overdrive much either.

TWD S1, TWD S2, and now TWAU have been free between PS+ and GwG. Also, Grim Fandango, Broken Age, and the first episode of King's Quest have gone free within the last year.

Basically, if youre a huge adventure game fan but are also really frugal about stuff then this has been a killer year for you.

TWD S1, TWD S2, and now TWAU have been free between PS+ and GwG. Also, Grim Fandango, Broken Age, and the first episode of King's Quest have gone free within the last year.

Basically, if youre a huge adventure game fan but are also really frugal about stuff then this has been a killer year for you.

Way to polish a turd.

Harmen

To be honest, I think the value is pretty great for 50 dollars per year.

Grim Fandango is one of my favourite games ever, Galak-Z was a huge surprise for me, I had tons of fun with Broforce, Abe's Oddesy is a good remake of one of my favourite PS titles, Broken Age, to me, is a magnificent adventure game, Walking Dead S2 was a good ride, Rocket League is fantastic.

A lot of games I didn't care for, yes, And yes, I would like some AAA tiltes, but for little more than 4 dollars a month I can't complain and there are some games inbetween that I never would've tried out, yet had a lot of fun with.

On a sidenote, I love Wolf Among us, but if people are going to hold that over the PS line up I do not know what to say. Sunset Overdrive seems like a great game and PS plus sure could use something of similar production values, I agree.

Hasney

... I'm still looking forward to Dead Star :(

And yeah, XBL has Sunset Overdrive. Funcking great game and happy more people get to play it, but there's no way in hell I'm holding a Telltale game over the current crop of PS+ games.

Ok Plus defenders, what's your excuse now? MS are giving away fucking Sunset Overdrive.

I'm not a defender so much as a reasonable human being. MS has only recently (like the last couple of months) stepped up their GwG game. Sony's offerings recently haven't been terrible, Galak-Z is a good game, we got Rocket League day one last year, and as someone who likes adventure games I've enjoyed some of the recent offerings through plus.

But yeah, i think we're entering the part of the generation where you can't get away with just indie games anymore. They need to through a few AAA games out there already, whether they're terrific or not, because those subscription numbers aren't going to hold forever.
But it's not about triple A games in particular, man. It would absolutely suck to get Knack or Killzone. That's my whole point.
Killzone's MP is worth the slot it would take in a PS+ month, though that campaign is truly some garbo shit.

Way to polish a turd.

All those games i mentioned range from good to excellent. It's only a turd if you have a thing against adventure games, i guess.

... I'm still looking forward to Dead Star :(

And yeah, XBL has Sunset Overdrive. Funcking great game and happy more people get to play it, but there's no way in hell I'm holding a Telltale game over the current crop of PS+ games.

I will. Ask most of the TT fans to name the best games they have played from them and the chances are that many will name TWAU.

Sony gave away TWD S2 and that's a fine offering, I'm not denying that. But still you can't say that because we had one TT game (few months ago and to be frank, S2 without S1 doesn't really make much sense) then Sony shouldn't offer more quality titles like TWAU to match the quality of its service with GWG.

The fact is that GWG has been better in the past few months and they are absolutely killing it with their April's offerings. While Sony on the other hand, has been pretty ignorant of the fact that most of the Plus members aren't happy with their monthly PS+ offerings, and I'm saying this as someone who loved BroForce last month.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Successful Sony is worst Sony. I hope one day PS4 sales drop like a rock for some reason so it gives them an incentive to try again. They provided their best first party lineup on their least successful home console. They provided the best subscription service ever on said console. The best launch lineup they were ever responsible for was for the system that everyone said was dead on arrival(Vita). Sony fucking suck when they're successful. If PS4 and or PS Plus subs drop like a rock, then and only then will Sony actually go back to the quality they had before.

Hasney

I will. Ask most of the TT fans to name the best games they have played from them and the chances are that many will name TWAU.

Sony gave away TWD S2 and that's a fine offering, I'm not denying that. But still you can't say that because we had one TT game (few months ago and to be frank, S2 without S1 doesn't really make much sense) then Sony shouldn't offer more quality titles like TWAU to match the quality of its service with GWG.

The fact is that GWG has been better in the past few months and they are absolutely killing it with their April's offerings. While Sony on the other hand, has been pretty ignorant of the fact that most of the Plus members aren't happy with their monthly PS+ offerings, and I'm saying this as someone who loved BroForce last month.

I'm sure it's a fine game if you don't run into any issues. I've had 3 save corruptions in 3 of their games on 3 formats so I just don't want to put any time into any of them.

Will be watching Batman with interest though. Hopefully the new or upgraded engine does something.

Joni

Successful Sony is worst Sony. I hope one day PS4 sales drop like a rock for some reason so it gives them an incentive to try again. They provided their best first party lineup on their least successful home console. They provided the best subscription service ever on said console. The best launch lineup they were ever responsible for was for the system that everyone said was dead on arrival(Vita). Sony fucking suck when they're successful. If PS4 and or PS Plus subs drop like a rock, then and only then will Sony actually go back to the quality they had before.

They provided their best experience with the best selling console ever.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I always did feel PS2 was overrated. Hell I liked the PS1 more. And the PS2 success was the big reason PS3 was so bad at the start. Sony had to get humbled before they got good again. The same needs to happen once more.

Could a larger userbase make it harder to get decent games for the likes of PS+ and GWG?

Like having only a smaller percentage of paying people or a small userbase makes it easier / cheaper to pay developers to get their games on it, where as when half the userbase of the biggest selling console is paying for a membership devs of AAA games might not want to devalue their game like that?

Would explain why PS+ was so good on PS3. Why GWG is so good on XB1 and why PS+ on PS4 sucks so bad.

EmiPrime

Ok Plus defenders, what's your excuse now? MS are giving away fucking Sunset Overdrive.

Most GWG months aren't that special, sometimes I can't even be bothered to redeem the games. Sunset Overdrive is a phenomenal pickup but I am a lot happier with my PS+ games on PS4 than I am with my GWG games on Xbox One.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Could a larger userbase make it harder to get decent games for the likes of PS+ and GWG?

Like having only a smaller percentage of paying people or a small userbase makes it easier / cheaper to pay developers to get their game son it, where as when half the userbase of the biggest selling console is paying for a membership devs of AAA games might not want to devalue their game like that?

Would explain why PS+ was so good on PS3. Why GWG is so good on XB1 and why PS+ on PS4 sucks so bad.
Of course. Which is exactly why multiplayer being required for PS Plus was the worst thing that could have possibly ever happened to the service.

It's very sad that there was basically no protest when they announced it. Instead there was only applause.

Of course. Which is exactly why multiplayer being required for PS Plus was the worst thing that could have possibly ever happened to the service.

It's very sad that there was basically no protest when they announced it. Instead there was only applause.

To be fair paid online for PS4 announcement was done with surgical precision to have the least amount of backlash possible. Slipping that line between No DRM and 399 price was smooth.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I always did feel PS2 was overrated. Hell I liked the PS1 more. And the PS2 success was the big reason PS3 was so bad at the start. Sony had to get humbled before they got good again. The same needs to happen once more.
I agree with all of this.

I know the PS2 was the most popular, but it's my least favourite Sony home console, tbh.

6 days until my PS+ lapses. Having been subscribed from near enough day 1 back from the PS3....

Need some convincing to stay!

Had a couple of stellar months but nothing consistent like what made me love the service when I first joined.

Don't think we'll see that again personally.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I put together an article explaining why I think PlayStation Plus has had a dramatic fall from grace, and why I don't think there's an easy fix for it. I feel this would make a great discussion as its own thread, but as the author, I feel like that kind of self-promotion would be frowned upon.

Here's the piece anyway - would love to hear your thoughts:
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/03/talking_point_whats_gone_wrong_with_playstation_plus
Your suggestion to ditch Vita greatly disturbs me. Also your point of PS4 being a young system compared to the height of Plus on PS3 is flawed considering Vita's Plus lineup was fucking godly just a year after the system launched. But alas, Sony's best platform getting ignored is nothing new. In fact you suggest it be done even more.

But overall yes, solid points. Locking multiplayer behind Plus is the worst thing to have happened. Such massive amounts of new subscribers killed the service.

With that said, there is absolutely no reason Sony couldn't give away their big first party offerings to strengthen the lineup. Not wanting to pay third parties for big titles is one thing, but there's no reason they couldn't give some of their own titles away. But then again there aren't exactly a whole lot of first party titles worth playing on PS4...

xrnzaaas

Ditching the support for PS3 and Vita won't make the PS4 lineup any better imo and having them around often means more PS4 games per month because of crossplay. Besides even if that happens at some point in the future we'll probably get other things instead like the PS2 classics or maybe even some movies.

Also it would be a very stupid move from Sony's perspective, because only PS4 users "have" to buy PS+ to play online.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Re: the article, I'd prefer Megadrive games over most of the recent offerings, tbh... :p

But I'd ditch Vita support for sure. I know the Vita cultists will hate me for saying that, but they're an insignificant minority in the grand scheme of things so they'd just be yelling in the void. :D

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Re: the article, I'd prefer Megadrive games over most of the recent offerings, tbh... :p

But I'd ditch Vita support for sure. I know the Vita cultists will hate me for saying that, but they're an insignificant minority in the grand scheme of things so they'd just be yelling in the void. :D
We've been yelling in the void for four years now. Be careful. We've gotten good at it.

Well, it would certainly cost Sony my subscription. I've got a Vita and PS3 and I don't have any plans of buying a PS4. (Given the recent state of things I don't even plan to renew unless my IGC backlog is significant enough at that point)

RK128

The Vita is a pillar that Sony supports with PSN and third party titles so if they gut the Vita from the instant game collection, then Sony can go F**** themselves for all I care. They are already on thin ice with me regarding that stupid PS4.5 rumor so if they plan on removing PS Vita from the daily PS+ rotation?

Makes it very easy to write them off completely in the future.

I put together an article explaining why I think PlayStation Plus has had a dramatic fall from grace, and why I don't think there's an easy fix for it. I feel this would make a great discussion as its own thread, but as the author, I feel like that kind of self-promotion would be frowned upon.

Here's the piece anyway - would love to hear your thoughts:
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/03/talking_point_whats_gone_wrong_with_playstation_plus

Good article and it has some good points. Don't like that you suggest ditching the PS Vita/PS3 but people's opinions are different and such. At least you didn't call the Vita audience insignificant or anything.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I'm insignificant due to owning a Vita? Nice to hear that :l.
That's quite the distortion of what I said, lol. "Insignificant minority", in that Vita owners are probably not a big crowd on Sony's radar business-wise.

You can't just take a single word out of context like that just to be offended, come on.

Btw my household has a PS TV :p

RK128

That's quite the distortion of what I said, lol. "Insignificant minority", in that Vita owners are probably not a big crowd on Sony's radar business-wise.

You can't just take a single word out of context like that just to be offended, come on.

Btw my household has a PS TV :p

:(. I'm sorry for the comment man. Will edit it out of my post. Way to harsh.

That stupid PS4.5 rumor has me being far harsher then I am normally, so I was quick to snap before making clearer thoughts. Sorry about that :(.

BlitzKeeg

If it wasn't for online and cloud saves I probably would have dropped PS+ for a couple of months. I just recently had to re-up for SFV and that's what's making me stay. I can only take so many months of adventure games and top down shooters. I don't think I've played most of the past month's games for more than 10 minutes.

Man, as much as I initially loved GalakZ, I'm about to drop it. Season 4 is brutal, simply beyond my skill level. The difficulty spike comes out of nowhere. Disappointed.

Celegus

Man, as much as I initially loved GalakZ, I'm about to drop it. Season 4 is brutal, simply beyond my skill level. The difficulty spike comes out of nowhere. Disappointed.

Is the difficulty spike I keep hearing about just the final boss? Or the whole season in general? I really didn't notice anything that stood out compared to the other seasons.

Top Bottom