• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Holy shit, im pretty impressed with the RE7 demo. Didn't expect it to look this good and im on regular ps4. Idk if i'll be able to handle this lol. The sense of dread waiting for something to pop out is gonna kill me....Really amazing peaking around corners and examining things up close though.

Get to the basement.

Received my PSVR today. I was your typical VR fence sitter going into this.

To say I am astonished by the experience it offers is an understatement. Without even a hint of doubt, this is by far the best gaming experience of my life.

The set up was simple, and surprisingly straightforward, I was a bit concerned about my slightly asymmetrical eyes but this is not an issue. The first game I tried was the VR Game Room, just to get a feel for things. I played the mini game where you insert 'coins' into a machine and then try and pick up prizes. My impressions sort of went like this:

"Wow, the resolution on this thing is better than I expected"
"Oh look, I am holding a virtual controller and a real one at the same time and can move them both in unison"
"Hang on....I can look around the room...HOLY SHIT THERE'S SOME HUGE MONSTER ABOVE ME LOOKING DOWN THROUGH THE ROOF"
"I can bring objects close to my face and inspect them..the detail is amazing...oohhh I can lean closer to objects as well"
"The 'robots' react to me when I get close to them...THERE'S A BUNCH STANDING BEHIND ME"

Seriously by this point I was fully immersed, and mesmerised – I have never felt anything like this before in my entire gaming life – and this was just the VR Game Room lol.

Next I tried the Star Wars Battlefront VR....HOLY MOTHER OF PLAYSTATIONS.

This was nothing short of jaw dropping. I can't even...it was astonishing the sense of immersion I felt. Yes, I did feel a bit uneasy at times with quick turns and what not, but it was more than worth it. I can see myself playing this over and over again...

My advice to those on the fence, those a bit skeptical about PSVR, JUST DOI IT. It's worth every penny, and then some.

Vanmunt

Banned

To say I am astonished by the experience it offers is an understatement. Without even a hint of doubt, this is by far the best gaming experience of my life.

The set up was simple, and surprisingly straightforward, I was a bit concerned about my slightly asymmetrical eyes but this is not an issue. The first game I tried was the VR Game Room, just to get a feel for things. I played the mini game where you insert 'coins' into a machine and then try and pick up prizes. My impressions sort of went like this:

"Oh look, I am holding a virtual controller and a real one at the same time and can move them both in unison"
"Hang on....I can look around the room...HOLY SHIT THERE'S SOME HUGE MONSTER ABOVE ME LOOKING DOWN THROUGH THE ROOF"
"I can bring objects close to my face and inspect them..the detail is amazing...oohhh I can lean closer to objects as well"
"The 'robots' react to me when I get close to them...THERE'S A BUNCH STANDING BEHIND ME"

Seriously by this point I was fully immersed, and mesmerised – I have never felt anything like this before in my entire gaming life – and this was just the VR Game Room lol.

This was nothing short of jaw dropping. I can't even...it was astonishing the sense of immersion I felt. Yes, I did feel a bit uneasy at times with quick turns and what not, but it was more than worth it. I can see myself playing this over and over again...

My advice to those on the fence, those a bit skeptical about PSVR, JUST DOI IT. It's worth every penny, and then some.

Great story, welcome to the VR club.

Grinchy

Banned

Now go download the Resident Evil 7 demo and see how great it is to be scared shitless!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Anywhere to buy Battlefront for like $5? Not gonna pay $20 for an 18 min tech demo :(
I've played that tech demo for a hour yesterday and I'll be playing it a lot more over the months. Totally worth it.

Star Wars Battlefront VR mission really sold me on the future of VR as a medium. Such an amazing sense of presence, really happy to be alive today to say I've actually piloted an Xwing. Hope EA decides to run with this ball and do something exciting with the IP. The potential for amazement is without scope.

Zombine

Banned
I was playing Star Wars VR last night and LOVED it. They need to expand this into a full game ASAP. I am a big fan of the "VR Visual Story" approach, so I wouldn't mind everything being on rails with the exception of the X-Wing stuff.

Also, props to the devs for creating a VR experience where you have full control that is organic and doesn't make you want to throw up like Resident Evil 7. I have a feeling that the VR is an afterthought in that game, which is why I had so many issues in regards to the jerky movement and inablilty for my eyes to transition when you move around.

The part that completely blew me away was looking down on the cockpit controls, lower left, and seeing that little yellow button, hitting "x" to confirm pushing it, and watching that glorious, clunky old auto-targeting system scope that the pilots used during the Death Star trench run come sliding out of the left and in front of my face. I was so thrilled with that I crashed.

Lol and here I thought I pushed all buttons, gonna have to try that out!

Looks great.
Really hope they would do proper X-Wing, Tie-Fighter and Alliance games next.

They clearly have lot of the tech and assets ready.

The chances for this to happen are very high compared to say 5 or ten years ago. With how successful the new Disney movies are and probably will be, Battlefront 1 and 2 being a thing and VR of course ;)

Philxor

Am I living in a PS VR desert or is it really sold out everywhere? Amazon is barren too.

My girlfriend picked mine up from Amazon Spain two weeks ago. Delivered within 48 hours on a Saturday morning. Fully compatible, I just needed to pick up a UK power lead. Good luck finding Move controllers, though. Absolute nightmare.

Codiox

If anyone gets SportsBarVR and wants to play with someone hit me up, I gotta get my $20 worth somehow, Pool and Air Hockey are awesome by the way. I wanna try shufflepuck, chess, checkers and ping pong with someone also no AI for that. It's kinda weird that we have such a big psvr community here on this OT but people don't seem to want to play with each other :/

Add me too:

C0D10X

im always looking for some sportsbarVR buddys!

dmix90

I had similar feelings and started from the same playroom demo. Be aware of the playroom platformer demo cause you can get pretty sick from it.....move slowly at least. Try Kitchen demo and then RE7 demo...it's a magical experience especially for the first time and even better if you haven't spoiled those to yourself from youtube vids or something else.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I assume theres gonna be no UK stock of PSVR until January at this rate? Not paying scalper rates either. Price is 350 or not at all.

That good old fashioned Sony cold shoulder to Europe.

*Splinter

I assume theres gonna be no UK stock of PSVR until January at this rate? Not paying scalper rates either. Price is 350 or not at all.

Try Game, I ordered online late November and they got some more stock in at the start of this month. That stock is now also sold out but it's worth asking if they expect more.

Apparently in the UK pre-orders for restocks are currently backed up until about March. Similar case for Move controllers. Most likely that means Feb/March is when the next larger re-stock is anticipated to take place.

Edit: Oh yeah also if you want to be aware of when stock comes in use this link or similar stock tracking sites.
http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-playstation-vr

WITHE1982

My wife pre-ordered one for me for Christmas and was told she'd have it by 3rd December, that has now changed to the 14th but I fully expect that to then leap to mid January.

Now I'm just praying I get hold of one for the launch of RE7.

Sad thing is that when they first launched I could have snatched one up no bother *sigh.

sourc3d

Brookhaven just got a new patch that added PS4 Pro support according to the patch notes.

Good to know.......will throw this on again later to see what improvements there are on Pro.

Oh and RE7, I've played through several times in non VR without much issue, and even knowing generally whats going to happen when playing through again in VR I've noped out of some things.

This really is going to be character building to get through the demo completely in VR let alone the full game. Didn't help that I read up on some of the more unexpected random things that can happen in the demo on multiple playthroughs that I haven't experienced yet.

But yeah, X-Wing VR definitely deserves more than one playthrough, just tinkering with all the buttons in the cockpit is fun in itself, anyone got an X-Wing pilots manual handy!?!

Screens from my Star Wars Battlefront VR Mission playthrough

Definitely turn off the G-Force effect to get rid of the tunnel vision and turn off all HUD elements to really make this shine.

JxQ0PFt.jpg

Gek9bM8.jpg

oXVbJi0.jpg

Screens from my Star Wars Battlefront VR Mission playthrough

Definitely turn off the G-Force effect to get rid of the tunnel vision and turn off all HUD elements to really make this shine.

Thanks for that, I should start diving in those option menus with PSVR, missing all the good stuff. Normally I only use option menus to invert the y-axis ;)

Planet

In Germany too. Plenty of psvr [...] on stock.
This is not true. No mail order business has any available, Mediamarkt / Saturn shows no stock in all of their stores, try finding one at Expert, Real or whatever through the web frontends, I dare you!

It has been this way since forever. Sure, every now and then the stores get a new delivery and then there are some in the shelves for a while. But that is a far shot from "plenty in stock".

Hyper Void = pretty freak'n fantastic

so glad we got this as a ps plus freebee ... love it... hope more devs realize we don't need 1st person experiences all the time.. being able to see things in 3rd person is sooo freak'n awesome...... so freak'n awesome... now someone needs to make a 3rd person shooter vr game... something like uncharted in vr.... i would melt.

Yessss please post impressions!

Spent almost 2 hours playing. Image quality is a lot better on the Pro version as expected thanks to resolution bump on the Pro. Menus look sharper and there's a lot less aliasing. Lighting has also been improved a lot as well as better effects from explosions and shield collapsing. Shadows also look a lot better now and there's less pop in. It's a pretty damn significant update and I think it improves the Eve Valkyrie experience a lot on the Pro. :D I'm really happy with this update.

Brock2621

It's rough out there. Been looking for WEEKS and just found one tonight an hour away. I'm a little baffled with news stories coming out about how they slashed sales projections in less than half, but I'm not sure that's completely reflective upon demand, I think there is zero supply. When I search on the ps vr website it says there are none within 100 miles of me

FeD.nL

Spent almost 2 hours playing. Image quality is a lot better on the Pro version as expected thanks to resolution bump on the Pro. Menus look sharper and there's a lot less aliasing. Lighting has also been improved a lot as well as better effects from explosions and shield collapsing. Shadows also look a lot better now and there's less pop in. It's a pretty damn significant update and I think it improves the Eve Valkyrie experience a lot on the Pro. :D I'm really happy with this update.

Thanks for the impressions. Cannot wait to get home now!

HYPE. It's gonna be a long day at work...

Codiox

This is not true. No mail order business has any available, Mediamarkt / Saturn shows no stock in all of their stores, try finding one at Expert, Real or whatever through the web frontends, I dare you!

It has been this way since forever. Sure, every now and then the stores get a new delivery and then there are some in the shelves for a while. But that is a far shot from "plenty in stock".

i just bought a PS4Pro at tuesday here in germany at media markt and there was a tower of psvr besides it. at least 30/40 units. Sometimes you have to go outside of your internet world and just step into a store dude...

Mendrox

In Germany too. Plenty of psvr / ps4 pro on stock.

No you are lieing or at least in Hamburg - have fun getting one. I have friends that try to order from Amazon or try to get one from second hands. Not fun for them.

Edit: Or you have to live where you either get more charges of stock or you had just a lucky day. You could buy them all and go out with a big profit by using eBay or other sites. Where do you live? I will do it myself then.

Planet

i just bought a PS4Pro at tuesday here in germany at media markt and there was a tower of psvr besides it. at least 30/40 units. Sometimes you have to go outside of your internet world and just step into a store dude...
I suggest you apply some common sense, dude... If the stores always have plenty of stock, why wouldn't they show it in their store systems? They keep it secret to ensure lower sales, right?

Why should I step into a store when I have mine since launch? It is just not the way you describe it. I didn't say you can't buy anywhere, I just said there aren't plenty everywhere.

Soi-Fong

Just checked every retailer. Holy fuck.. It's pretty much sold out everywhere even here in the US..

Was it the Black Friday rush or what? It could be Sony witholding stock too, but damn...

Codiox

I suggest you apply some common sense, dude... If the stores always have plenty of stock, why wouldn't they show it in their store systems? They keep it secret to ensure lower sales, right?

Why should I step into a store when I have mine since launch? It is just not the way you describe it. I didn't say you can't buy anywhere, I just said there aren't plenty everywhere.

I dont know why, but i checked the store online and they said "not available" but they are in stock there. i know at least 2 more places here in Bremen where they have plenty of them.

whatever dude, ive got mine too so all is fine for me / us :)

Just checked every retailer. Holy fuck.. It's pretty much sold out everywhere even here in the US..

Was it the Black Friday rush or what? It could be Sony witholding stock too, but damn...

I doubt they're holding back stock, what good would it do? If somebody wants to buy your device you should sell it, even more so if you want to sell software for it too.

Sony probably ordered too few devices.

Kalentan

Brookhaven just got a new patch that added PS4 Pro support according to the patch notes.

Honestly I played a bunch of Brookhaven and got excited when it said it added Pro Support but I could not tell the difference. I would need a side by side. Like maybe text was clearer but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom