• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

SilentUser

I played around 20 hours of After The Fall and I really liked it. It really is VR Left4Dead, with great gunplay, great synthwave music, and a nice amount of content and unlockables.

With crossplay, its very easy to find players.

I definitely recommend it, especially at that price.
Nice, thanks! A friend is planning to buy a VR soon, so this could be our first game together in VR (we play Demeo together, but he plays in flatscreen).

Minsc

Gold Member
Seems quite a bit is on sale! Thumper, Saint's and Sinners, Rez, Tetris, and Demeo all might be potential grabs for me, and a few others on sale I already have. Glad to see VR games go on sale too, even if maybe it's less common.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yup! I'm grabbing them all, Thumper seems like the deal of the sale at $7.99 / 60% off or whatever! Never played it, so I think I'm in for a treat, though that should be true of every game listed there!

Crayon

Demeo is getting so muchreccomendation but here is my situation: I used to play tabletop battletech when I was a teenager. I bought a battletech set with the intention of surprising an old friend with a nostalgic weekend of tabletop gaming.

Well I wasn't going to use the figurines in grey plastic. And worse, I bought a bunch of extra with the set so we would have all the classics from the first mechwarrior game that made us both fall in love with battletech.

SO IM TRYING TO PAINT ALL THESE LITTLE FUCKERS. The first 5 or 6 were fun. 20 to go. I actually stalled out on it for a good three months there because I was sick of the project. Last weekend I picked it up again, and now I am down to 5 left to paint.

Holy shit if I never see another miniture again it will be too soon and I haven't even played a game yet.

I picked up Saints and Sinners Ch1&2 bundle and Song in the Smoke. Haven't played either but I'm stoked to dive in to one of them this weekend. I'm not super keen on survival games but seeing what the developers did for Song in the Smoke; improving it greatly, exclusively for PSVR2 and giving the update for free for PSVR -> PSVR2 owners, I had to show some love and buy the game. Stuff like that deserves support.

I was really itching to get GT7 but 198gb! Im sure the game is all the better for it but that's just too much space for my PS5. I'll definitely get it at some point though

Last edited:
Still not seeing any news in the way of a retail release...would love to pick one up.
Dog, if you're in NA, check the official Sony site. When I ordered mine two weeks ago there was an option for a 3rd party payment processor, got it at 0% APR, no CC required. I'm paying $49 a month for the next year. Such a convenient deal. Might still be an option.

Crayon

I picked up Saints and Sinners Ch1&2 bundle and Song in the Smoke. Haven't played either but I'm stoked to dive in to one of them this weekend. I'm not super keen on survival games but seeing what the developers did for Song in the Smoke; improving it greatly, exclusively for PSVR2 and giving the update for free for PSVR -> PSVR2 owners, I had to show some love and buy the game. Stuff like that deserves support.

I was really itching to get GT7 but 198gb! Im sure the game is all the better for it but that's just too much space for my PS5. I'll definitely get it at some point though

I'll note now and hopefully you'll remember it later if you expand storage... I got the closest-to-official ssd for my ps5 and it ended up crashing gt7. Some other people had that, too. Only game I've seen that on. Moved the install to the stock system storage and was all good.

I'll note now and hopefully you'll remember it later if you expand storage... I got the closest-to-official ssd for my ps5 and it ended up crashing gt7. Some other people had that, too. Only game I've seen that on. Moved the install to the stock system storage and was all good.
Appreciate that! I do plan on upgrading at some point but that shits expensive!

Crayon

The listing popped up on Amazon the other day with no buy option. It should be widely available really soon.

This will be interesting because it might shed some light on the weird direct-only rollout. Might. They are trying to control the launch somehow, but the question is why.

FrankWza

This will be interesting because it might shed some light on the weird direct-only rollout. Might. They are trying to control the launch somehow, but the question is why.
They did the same with the edge. May be as simple just maximizing profits early before retailers take their cut. Could be a way to gauge demand as well. They probably see less returns this way. They sold a lot of edge controllers though

Last edited:

Crayon

They did the same with the edge. May be as simple just maximizing profits early before retailers take their cut. Could be a way to gauge demand as well. They probably see less returns this way. They sold a lot of edge controllers though

Gauge demand. Now that you mention it, it could definitely have a lot to do with that. Not just the demand, but a lot more data on how to best introduce it to retail. Scraping the profit also makes sense and also curbing the fomo return-rentals. Already saw a lot of those anecdotally here. All your reasons make sense. I suppose the only thing that would shed any light is if there are any big announcements that coincide with the retail launch.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I know I'm a bit late to the party (RE8 is a blast and GT7 is a whole another game), but today I've used my old Quest 2 to test some VR videos I've made as a cameraman...

God almighty, people don't even realize how much easier the initial setup of PSVR2 is and how fast it it to recalibrate the headset to pass it to another person. With almost a month with PSVR2 I've totally forgot about Meta's junkfest of a software.

My only hope that Sony will release some sort of media player for VR, it's the most glaring omission in otherwise terrific hardware.

FrankWza

Gauge demand. Now that you mention it, it could definitely have a lot to do with that. Not just the demand, but a lot more data on how to best introduce it to retail. Scraping the profit also makes sense and also curbing the fomo return-rentals. Already saw a lot of those anecdotally here. All your reasons make sense. I suppose the only thing that would shed any light is if there are any big announcements that coincide with the retail launch.
That makes sense. Showcase rumors soon too. GT7 bundles at the very least.

FrankWza

Maybe they are going to drop the A-Bomb. :O
200.gif

Surfheart

Hmm some PSVR2 titles are being discounted. After the Fall is one of them (and Fantavision, like S Surfheart just said). What are your opinion on these games, ppl? I only tested After the Fall on Quest 2 and it is nice to play with friends, but how is the game on PSVR2? Is it blurry? Never played a Fantavision game before, so I have no idea of how it is on PSVR2...

Wondering about after the Fall too, I already have it on Quest 2 might double dip if the upgrades are significant.

Last edited:
Dog, if you're in NA, check the official Sony site. When I ordered mine two weeks ago there was an option for a 3rd party payment processor, got it at 0% APR, no CC required. I'm paying $49 a month for the next year. Such a convenient deal. Might still be an option.
I've got 300 in best buy rewards and 200 in gift cards. I can wait long enough for it to hit BB. Thanks tho.

I've heard very little news about VR in general, it seems like Sony is finally going to put units in more retailers to spread awareness. I'm not sure why they didn't do that day 1 however.

Last edited:

aclar00

I've heard very little news about VR in general, it seems like Sony is finally going to put units in more retailers to spread awareness. I'm not sure why they didn't do that day 1 however.

Unfortunately, I think they are getting a bit arrogant in the name of ROI

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
This whole ordeal was arrranged to combat scalpers and it actually worked so well that scalper units are selling below MSRP in some regions.

gothmog

Gold Member
Unfortunately, I think they are getting a bit arrogant in the name of ROI
If you can keep your inventory really tight it's worth it. Especially for niche devices like this. I'd rather have a full, robust set of controllers, headsets, and handhelds available for purchase than having an extremely limited selection available at all retailers.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
This whole ordeal was arrranged to combat scalpers and it actually worked so well that scalper units are selling below MSRP in some regions.
I certainly wouldn't mind if the process of trying to buy a PS5 never happened again in my lifetime. Sony really should just skip retail for the first year and e-mail people with active PS Store accounts that purchase games an invitiation for a single PS6 system.

The whole PS5 process was so frustrating and took me months and I finally just gave in and got it from a scalper because it simply wasn't worth my time. If PS6 is the same free-for-all again, I'll just go with what I learned and buy from a scalper day 1 this time.

Crayon

Grand full retail launch... announced in a tweet lol.

I cannot wait to play a videogame again. My weekends have been filled with other stuff. Not all work or anything, but other stuff and i keep leering at my headset. I've already got games I want to play backing up because the next big releases are getting closer.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Gran Turismo in VR is everything that was promised. Quite incredible. And makes everything a lot easier and more intuitive. Being able to actually judge an apex properly is phenomenal.
I've gotten 1s slower (T300) because now turns are REALLY SCARY, but now I'm way-way-way more consistent with my lap times. Once again, GT7 in VR is whole another experience and if it's 9/10 in 2D, in VR it's like 15/10 for the true depth of apexes alone.

I mean, after Laguna Seca chicane and full VR Nurb in VR I'll never return to 2D racing.

Last edited:
About to jump into Song in the Smoke: Rekindled. Really stoked to try this out. Without Parole gave the PSVR version a 10/10 and Sony helped fund the improvements to Rekindled.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
About to jump into Song in the Smoke: Rekindled. Really stoked to try this out. Without Parole gave the PSVR version a 10/10 and Sony helped fun the improvements to Rekindled.
I played the demo and did not enjoy it, but maybe it was a bit quick of me, curious how you find it. I found the crafting from the demo to be not great, and movement and jumping a little weird. I wanted to like it, but it just seemed a bit too abstract for me, too many different systems and menu screens and rules in the demo.

I played the demo and did not enjoy it, but maybe it was a bit quick of me, curious how you find it. I found the crafting from the demo to be not great, and movement and jumping a little weird. I wanted to like it, but it just seemed a bit too abstract for me, too many different systems and menu screens and rules in the demo.
All I will say at this point is that I need to watch the survival tip videos on the developers website. I couldn't make it past the tutorial, lmao.

Watching this one I immediately know why my campfire wasn't able to actually catch fire, I didn't realize you need to actually put down 9 stones. Good grief...

I really want to give it some proper time to get accustomed to the game and its mechanics. I've yet to hear a negative thing about the game from people who have finished it.

Minsc

Gold Member
So I briefly tried my sale pick ups -

Rez Infinite: Played the original mode first, switched control to eye tracking - was pretty cool visual style and shooting the objects and the music is also pretty neat, but seemed all too easy? I need to play around some more to get a better feel, but it looks really great and runs very smooth. Then I tried the Area X mode, and wow, that definitely impresses. Looks way more advanced with a million particles everywhere. Similar gameplay, look around at the various targets and shoot your auto-tracking missiles once targeted. Definitely seems like it'll be fun to play, but I can see it being a bit short. Still no foreseeable regrets.

Thumper: Works really well in VR. It's a rhythm game but instead of picking songs you just try and survive whatever the game throws at you, controlling a beetle on a track avoiding the obstacles. So more like a traditional game than Synth Riders etc where you mainly play different songs of your choosing. Still, like Rez excellent graphics - very black blacks and high framerate, it took me a little bit to get used to just how fast stuff comes at you. Boss fight was fun and definitely more challenging than Rez. For the price I think it's a great VR game if you've never played it before.

Tetris Effect: Beat out Thumper and Rez by a good amount. Looks incredible in VR, could easily be something to show off the system even though it's more basic, it's still really really cool seeing all the particles take shape when you clear lines and the music was significantly better than either Rez or Thumper for my tastes. I can see myself playing this a lot and look forward to all the crazy effects and songs. You have sort of a map to progress through with difficulty settings, so as you get better the game still can offer quite a bit of challenge. Plenty to get your money's worth in single player, then there's multi which I'm sure consists of you losing to people a million times better than you. Definitely check this out - I haven't been in to Tetris since the gameboy probably, and this just feels so fresh and new with the craziness going on everywhere (even the blocks on the board get animated around).

Demeo: New favorite, so long Tetris was nice knowing you. Beats out Moss for polish with the awesome tutorial. I loved everything about it. The controls are so incredible and actually enhance the gameplay in a way traditional controls could never accomplish. I immediately was like give me all my sRPGs NOW as soon as I picked up my unit and saw the grid and saw how fun just movement was. And the room you're in is awesome, I was wishing I could walk around the house and it's unique enough I could totally get in to an adventure game with the level of graphics from the basement. Almost like a more stylized GotG-type house. But yeah, it looks like it will be so much fun. I love turn based strategy games, and the biggest problem I think I'll have with Demeo is just how bad it will end up making me want more games like it.

And lastly Saints & Sinners. Just went through the tutorial, and it's interesting to compare to RE8 VR which I love so much. They seem like two really really different games, where S&S definitely gives more of a survival feel with the built ground up for VR and breakable (durability) weapons, and different implementations of handling combat - in S&S it seems a lot more physical. In RE8 your mainly using guns for everything, but S&S definitely prioritizes melee with axes/knives/etc as a main way of fighting. The visuals were sharper than RE8 and the framerate better, but the game just isn't as gritty or scary as RE8 to me. The cartoony style is nice in S&S but I still prefer the more realistic style in RE8. Still, I think I wanted Song in the Smoke to be more like what Saint and Sinners looks to be, so I'm very happy to have another full-length real game with Saints and Sinners and I just hope that it doesn't have some sort of time restraints in completing it, and I can hoard and move at my own pace.

Last edited:

Faith

Played a couple of PSVR2 games and the only thing that impressed me so far was Pistol Whip. I hope there will be more games soon.

SilentUser

Cool, interested in your impressions!
I could barely test it yesterday as I had another friend trying the PSVR2 (he had a blast!), so all I did was the tutorial and reached that multiplayer hall (a subway, I think). Here are my initial impressions of the PSVR2 version:
1. Graphics are ok, it is pretty clear they are not those huge studios with lots of funding. And thats ok! I was relieved to see that the game isn't blurry 😅 and everything is is just fine. Somehow the graphics reminded me of 7 days to die, which I had a blast years agora despite the rough art and graphics.
2. Gameplay: I've tried it before on Quest 2. The gameplay shines, specially the gunplay. I know for a fact that I will die a lot getting nervous trying to reload a gun while being swarmed by the zombies lol having crossplay was a fundamental reason to buy the game, as I can play it with friends and that's where the fun will be, imo.
3. Others: sound is pretty nice and the story seems basic, but good enough. Can't wait to see and explore all the levels!
My first impression is very positive, I'm glad I bought it (I'm a sucker for coop games).

Top Bottom