• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please GAF help me out: teach me how to swallow pills

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
kenneth.jpg

"Mm-hmm! Coming in for a landing. Uh-oh. There's turbulence. And now an Indian guy got up to use the bathroom, and an air marshal shot him."

Try putting the pill on a spoon covered in honey. Worked for me when I was a kid.

Xyber

I was bad at swallowing pills until I was 15 or something. The thing that made it easier for me was to take a zip of water first, shove that fucker in as far as possible and drink more water. At first I didn't swallow the water fast enough and the pill just ended up somewhere else in my mouth. Swallow it right away and the pill should just go down.

Used to be in the same boat OP. Water doesn't help. But I came up with a way. I use my fingers and take the pill to the edge of my mouth and just fucking throw it down the abyss. Its kinda like swallowing without it actually touching any part of my tongue.

Sorry guys, I should have indicated that I try with water. They disolve in it because I take too long to swallow. Who swallows without water anyway?

Also, I have one hell of a gag reflex. I tried forcing myself to swallow this morning (threw the pill at the back of my mouth) and I just spit it out and vomited. Trust me guys, I suck at this.

Sorry guys, I should have indicated that I try with water. They disolve in it because I take too long to swallow. Who swallows without water anyway?

Also, I have one hell of a gag reflex. I tried forcing myself to swallow this morning (threw the pill at the back of my mouth) and I just spit it out and vomited. Trust me guys, I suck at this.
Have you tried putting the pill in your mouth first then drinking the water?
Nvm, I read that wrong

i told you bananas!

Redhood

I remember when I had trouble with swallowing pills. I basically had to chew them all the time and some of them are real nasty tasting. Me getting typhoid was not a good time. So as I grew older I finally learnt the trick. Just keep it on the back of tongue and swallow it with water.

shink

Put the pill at the back of your tongue, tilt your head back a bit and drink water. Always works for me.

My family members take a sip of water without swallowing and then pushes the pill inside their mouth. I never quite liked this method.

i told you bananas!

I'm going to try this, for real.

But first:
Practice with M&Ms!
I'm going to practice with M&Ms pretty much everything you guys are suggesting (except the tampon and butt stuff, I think those aren't serious).
Apple sauce works.....sometimes.
I want to try this one too (with M&Ms).
I always eat a meal first, even if just soup and crackers. Makes it easier for me.
:( unfortunately in my case, I have to take these pills right after I wake up, before eating anything.

I had the same issue until a few years ago. I learned by taking a big bite of a banana and then popping the pill in my mouth, mix it around, and swallow. Try practicing with Tic Tacs.

Arcia

Banned
The best advice I can give you is to try puttig into something mushy, like a banana or pudding. That should help trick your brain into not wanting to spit it out or throw up.

jwk94

Drink some water, then keep some in your mouth, tilt your head all the way back and drop the pill on and swallow.

Magnus

Everyone suggesting to have them with water....I'm confused. Isn't that basically the routine method?

Or do a lot of people actually just take pills dry?

Also, OP, I hit this hurdle when I was a young kid, and I got over it as soon as I realized that most pills are as small or smaller than bites of food that I was swallowing after I'd chewed a bit. I mean, I see that you're a compulsive chewer and like to gnash the crap out of your food before swallowing....but maybe that strategy'll help anyway? lol

Maximo

Everyone suggesting to have them with water....I'm confused. Isn't that basically the routine method?

Also, OP, I hit this hurdle when I was a young kid, and I got over it as soon as I realized that most pills are as small or smaller than bites of food that I was swallowing after I'd chewed a bit. I mean, I see that you're a compulsive chewer and like to gnash the crap out of your food before swallowing....but maybe that strategy'll help anyway? lol
I know alot of water that don't use water just swallow them.

Wait, so you guys saying bananas or pudding (a twinkie perhaps?), do you put the pill inside a small piece of the container (banana, pudding, etc) and then swallow the container? Or do you chew? Because I really don't want to chew pills.

Foaloal

1.) Get a glass of water
2.) Put a bit of water in your mouth
3.) Practice drinking water (seriously, this is your practice run for taking the pill. if you can swallow water, you can swallow a pill)
4.) Put some more water in your mouth. I recommend a solid gulp, but less than half a mouthful.
5.) Tilt your head back so you are looking upwards, and drop the pill/vitamin in your mouth (which has a pool of water in it) and then swallow the pool of water which will mean also swallowing the pill.

This works for me 100% of the time. The practice run with only the water is key IMO.

Wait, so you guys saying bananas or pudding (a twinkie perhaps?), do you put the pill inside a small piece of the container (banana, pudding, etc) and then swallow the container? Or do you chew? Because I really don't want to chew pills.

Chances are you swallow pieces of banana much larger than the actual pill, so really it's just a mental thing stopping you from swallowing a pill. I would just chew it up a bit and then right before its at the point where I would swallow I would just toss the pill in my mouth then swallow.

Heysoos

Ugh. I have this same problem. It's terrible. I eventually get them to go down. I don't know what it is, my gag reflex just automatically kicks in when I know I'm trying to swallow a pill. Even with water.

Exactly! I mean, the only pill that I'm able to swallow without water is a small 20mg coated pill and I still have to salivate enough to make some water puddle in my mouth to be able to swallow.

I hit this hurdle when I was a young kid, and I got over it as soon as I realized that most pills are as small or smaller than bites of food that I was swallowing after I'd chewed a bit. I mean, I see that you're a compulsive chewer and like to gnash the crap out of your food before swallowing....but maybe that strategy'll help anyway? lol
You know, I'm somewhat aware that this has to be a psychological thing. Basically either I haven't *learned* how to swallow pills, or there's something blocking me from doing it (scared of choking, bad taste of pills, etc). I need to work on that. But in the meantime I need some tricks to get past this.

By the way, thank you guys, keep the suggestions coming. I don't think I'm going to crush pills and shoot them up my urethra or anything similar, but I will try the less outrageous stuff with M&Ms, as suggested.

SkyOdin

I have this problem too. Even using water the pills never went down. The best advice I got was to not just drink water, but fill your entire mouth with water, then drink it and the pill in one big gulp. That worked for me.

Mii

Banned
The key at first is to trick your mind into thinking you've chewed. After taking the pill and some water, 'chew' at the water just to get your mind thinking its chewing, and swallow after about 15 bites.

nataku

Just pop the pill in your mouth, tilt your head forward/down and drink some water.

I'm surprised to see so many water suggestions. Water is the suggestion of nearly every pill bottle I've looked at. Do people seriously try to swallow pills dry?

Robotguy

I have this problem too. Even using water the pills never went down. The best advice I got was to not just drink water, but fill your entire mouth with water, then drink it and the pill in one big gulp. That worked for me.

This is how I do it, I don't fill my entire mouth with water, but it goes: Water -> pill -> swallow as soon as pill hits the water -> drink more water.

chocoedd

I solved my pill drinking problem by putting the pill in the back of my tongue and drink some water. The pill instantly went down. If I put it in the middle of my tongue, the pill would swim in my mouth refused to go down.

Josh5890

I'm almost 25 and I hate swallowing pills. I don't get why though. My solution is I just don't get sick.
I know that is going to bite me in the butt one day.

Alienous

Place them on an upper area of your tongue, take a swig of water, push the tip of your tongue to your lower front teeth and swallow as much water as you can.

Stat!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but 8 year old hospitalized me learned to swallow pills by putting the pill on a straw and drinking the liquid through a straw. You might need bigger straws (such as the kind found in bubble tea). Learned to swallow pills that way.

Now, I can swallow pills by putting them in my mouth but I learned initially the straw method.

TasTokyo

Personally I always just use water.

However I think using jelly might work well (I think for Americans this would be jello?).

After googling it I see a lot of suggestions that it helps kids.

It tastes good, is slippy and easy to swallow. You could even do it with some jelly with small pieces of fruit in to disguise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom