• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please GAF help me out: teach me how to swallow pills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiocity

I can't do it with just water, even with tiny pills. My throat nopes out and they get stuck halfway. Best method for me is to take a bite of anything, bread or mushy things being best, and tuck it in there. I can swallow a large amount of tasty things but no small amount of "foreign" things, so that works for me.
That reminds me, it's pill time

Grug

Put em in your mouth and then drink water as though there is no pill in there.

It's as simple as that.

Phoenixus

I had this issue with pills for a while too OP. In my case it was the gag reflex and/or the subconscious fear of the pill getting stuck in my throat that stopped me. I tried practicing with small Jelly Tot sweets; swallowing them whole while suppressing the urge to chew on them. Couple bags later I can down pills no problem. :)

Swallow them with food rather than liquid. Chew as normal, without the pill in your mouth, then throw the pill in when you're ready to swallow. I used to have a terrible fear of swallowing pills, but after a bit of willpower and practice I'm now fine with it.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I had the same problem when I was younger. Best way for me was to hold a normal gulp's worth of water in my mouth first, then pop the pill in there. Keep it buoyant and swallow the whole lot like you're just drinking. It should only be enough water that goes down easily in one swallow.

GtwoK

I used to be the same way. Always worried "what if I choke". I cured it by just thinking "I don't give a fuck if I choke".

Disclaimer: I would give a fuck, but it helps me get the pills down.

Apple sauce or water? Pudding? You swallow things bigger than that it's just ask in your head with swallow. Moving it with something fixes it for most people since you don't really notice it in a spoon of some sauce or similar.

I knew a girl who had this. She put them in a banana.

45487-Jack-nicholson-shaking-head-gi-h6Lj.gif

DoomGyver

When you're eating breakfast chew up some food and before you swallow throw in a pill and swallow it with the food.

Huh.

Not trying to be an ass, but I didn't realize people could have a problem with this.

I've been popping one pill or another since I was six though. I have overactive salivary glands. Most medication I take with no water.

But yeah, take them with food. Pop one into your mouth with some chewed food or something like applesauce.

Should work.

Hope you can find a work around to your problem.

Robot Pants

Trick your brain into not thinking about it. You know sometimes when you drink ice water you sometimes swallow ice by accident?

Do you freak out when that happens?
Nah it's no biggie. Try and think of it that way.

Cabal

Had a similar issue for a while. Trick is to get it as far back as possible so you're basically choking on it, and are forced to drink water to not die. Survival instinct kicks in.

You'll be okay, tiger.

My wife has the same issue and this works for her. Just get it as far back in yiour throat as you can then take a gulp of water. You won't have any choice but to swallow.

And don't feel bad, there are lots of people that have trouble with this.

MegaMelon

Funnily enough I used to be fine with pills then went a year unable to take them because I forgot how to. But I remembered and it was beautiful.

Your body won't just swallow (or at least mine won't) if the food is just on the tongue, it wants the food chewed and broken down.
To get around this, float the pill in water in your mouth then just swallow as if it's just water.
I realized this when I tilted my head down with water and the pill in my mouth. The pill became unstuck from my tongue and I almost forgot it was there, so I swallowed the pill with the water like it was nothing.

My brother can't swallow pills easily. So he just chews them. No matter what kind, gel tablets or chalky pills.

I have no idea how he doesn't gag when doing that, it's gross.

Cookie18

I had this exact same issue up until about a year ago. I could never swallow them and sometimes now I still can't but it's getting rarer and rarer that I can't do it.

What did it for me? Copious amounts of shots of alcohol. I hate the taste of alcohol so I guess I trained myself without knowing it to be able to 'shot' pills. My ability to force myself to swallow the pills now is awesome. It helped that while studying abroad I would be drinking pretty much everyday.

Edit: I bridged the gap by getting a small cup with a little water in it and dropping the pill in there. I would then drink the cup as though it were a shot of tequila or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom