• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PnP RPGs OT || Come play the REAL RPGs

dude

dude
Oh boy, the regular D&D group can't get together this weekend so someone wants to try out Shadowrun. What am I in for?
What edition? Shadoweun is a very cool setting, with a cluster fuck of a system. I heard the newer editions are better though, but I didn't play them.

What edition? Shadoweun is a very cool setting, with a cluster fuck of a system. I heard the newer editions are better though, but I didn't play them.

5th. I got the PDF of the manual and just glancing at it I can already tell I'm not going to be ready to play by Friday night. Maybe I can at least learn enough to build a character.

Shadowrun is good, great setting. Rules can be a little odd at times and I'm generally not a fan of games that force you to roll huge numbers of dice at once but overall I enjoyed it. If you have time, it is worth making a hacker or mage/shaman character, the toys they get to play with are pretty special.

Shadowrun is good, great setting. Rules can be a little odd at times and I'm generally not a fan of games that force you to roll huge numbers of dice at once but overall I enjoyed it. If you have time, it is worth making a hacker or mage/shaman character, the toys they get to play with are pretty special.

Deckers are hackers, right? I planned on making an elf decker, but I haven't read into the classes in any great detail yet.

Gazoinks

Our group is really into indie games. We've played a lot of them. Right now we're setting up a new Burning Wheel campaign. We're a very role-play centered group.
I'm really with you in the rules-light department. But I've come to realize not all system should be rules light. Light weight system tend to cause too much abstraction, and to hurt player-character connection and immersion. This is not always bad, but they have a very different feel and play style. Stuff like Primetime Adventures can't be run with the same immersion as a grim dungeon crawl.

I've been wanting to try out Burning Wheel at some point, it looks like a neat game.

Abstraction can definitely be a problem with rules-light games. Stuff like Fate can be hard for players to make connections to their character because of the level of meta thought it requires. This is why I'm a fan of stuff like Monsters and Other Childish Things and Little Fears, which are rules-light but very focused on player immersion (Monsters in particular is all about character relationships). WoD is also good at this, though a bit more discretely mechanical.

It really just depends on what kind of group and DM you have. Monsters is great for players willing to drive a game by freeform interaction and occasional plot (which our group loves), WoD is great for more complex, linear plots about flawed characters, D&D is great for exploration, tactics, and a potential sense of real danger, etc. Luckily, the one thing you can't say about PnP games is there aren't many choices!

This has always been my feeling when I've taken a look at it. Great setting, but if I ever wanted to run it I'd probably transplant it into a different system.

Yeah, the only time I've loved a die pool system is the One Roll Engine, and that's capped at 10 dice and doesn't require a ton of counting or picking through your roll -- you look for matches

dude

dude
I've been wanting to try out Burning Wheel at some point, it looks like a neat game.
BW is very interesting and has some revolutionary ideas: BiTs, Let it ride, "Say yes"... Amazing stuff. But it's also quite a mess, the rules are all over the place, everything has several exceptions. Some calculations require you to effing average stuff or divide by 15 And round down. It also requires a lot of log-keeping on the part of the players. It's worth playing, and the book is a must read, but it's not a pick up and play deal. Everyone at the table must be pretty invested.

Has anyone on PnP GAF ever tried starting a PbP game?

I ran one for...gosh, I want to say upwards of six years for a bunch of college buddies. It died out a few years back, and I mostly blame myself for it. In hindsight, I shouldn't have tried to gather all the characters together (each run by a player with a different schedule and posting habits) for a big, grand, in-person-game-style plot. It really didn't work well. But up until that point, the first 4-5 years or so, it was a lot of fun.

dude

dude
Has anyone on PnP GAF ever tried starting a PbP game?

When I was younger I ran several. We had a community dedicated to PbP games. The longest I ran was for about three years.
It's pretty good, there are a lot of advantages to this kind of games. I mainly liked having the time to think through stuff, and not necessarily be on the spot.
I'd love to see something like that happening more on GAF as well.

When I was younger I ran several. We had a community dedicated to PbP games. The longest I ran was for about three years.
It's pretty good, there are a lot of advantages to this kind of games. I mainly liked having the time to think through stuff, and not necessarily be on the spot.

If anyone wanted to run one for D&D 5e I'd totally be down.

embalm

I posted the cost breakdown for the Reaper Kickstarter thread. Thought you guys might enjoy it here also.

Core is currently at 118 minis (w/o the weapons or bases) – 85 cents per mini.
- Most Smaller minis go for: $1.99 - $2.29 (58% - 64% off) ~22 smaller minis so far in core
- Most medium sized character minis go for $2.29 - $2.79 (64%-70% discount) 75 currently
- Most Large minis go for: $3.29 - $6.99 (75%-88% discount) ~ 21 ≥Large minis in core
- 25 one inch bases are $4.99, x2 (we get ~50) is $9.98 which people are getting for free
- 10 two inch bases are $4.99 x2 (we get ~20) is $9.98 again for free.
- The weapon sprues in metal cost ~$8.99 (but guessing from the familiars and rats would be Between $1.99 - $3.99 in Bones) again, x3 ($6-$12) for free.
Once the Pathfinder II minis unlock, there will be 123 minis in the core (w/o counting weapons and Bases)
- Each mini would be 81 cents.
Remember in metal all these things would be more expensive. For example the pathfinder troll is $15.99 in metal. Actually in metal the Pathfinder II addition is $43.95 in metal, and would likely be at least $7.49 at retail in Bones.
But each person needs to find their own value in this. :)

Xisiqomelir

I read the 5E PHB today and was pleasantly surprised to see Hasbro attempting to purge themselves of their sins. It seems like it will be a good game for many people.

I have some brand new players wanting me to DM for them on the weekend. I'm not sure whether to run OSRIC or revised 2nd Ed. Pathfinder is also probably an option I'd consider.

Danoss

I have some brand new players wanting me to DM for them on the weekend. I'm not sure whether to run OSRIC or revised 2nd Ed. Pathfinder is also probably an option I'd consider.

You could hurl them into the meat grinder of a DCC funnel adventure. Dying horribly while having a few spares with at least one hopeful adventurer is a good bit of fun.

embalm

I read the 5E PHB today and was pleasantly surprised to see Hasbro attempting to purge themselves of their sins. It seems like it will be a good game for many people.
Why not try D&D 5e? It is a great roleplaying game. It has a lot of options for new and old players alike. The background part of building a character was great for getting my new players to think in character during the first game session, which was awesome. Most classes have advanced packages for more experienced players and easier packages for people new to the game, but most importantly the first few levels are easy to pick up and play right from the start.

On a different subject.
The Reaper Bones Kickstarter is wrapping up this week. If anyone is buying in, join us in the Bones Thread so we can get more people to see it.

Xisiqomelir

Why not try D&D 5e? It is a great roleplaying game. It has a lot of options for new and old players alike. The background part of building a character was great for getting my new players to think in character during the first game session, which was awesome. Most classes have advanced packages for more experienced players and easier packages for people new to the game, but most importantly the first few levels are easy to pick up and play right from the start.

I do think it will be a good game, but I have an abundance of 2E/3E/PF experience and material, and certain aspects of it, like the less-granular character progression, run counter to my GMing style.

I would certainly give it a go if I had more than 3 days prep time.

embalm

Reaper has pulled out the big guns for the kickstarter. The Purple Worm, A god of dragons, a massive blue dragon, and a graveyard expansion.

6cmF79E.jpg

Xisiqomelir

I wish Int'l Shipping hadn't been so lethal, I would have jumped in on Core.

Game night went VERY well. I went with Pathfinder and everyone really enjoyed themselves. The players plowed through the first adventure and went on well into the second before we knocked the session off at 2:30 AM, 9 hours of tabletop!

I had a lot of fun with these guys all wanting to pick CE as their alignments and attempting to rob each other of loot and bid on items clearly not intended for them.

A Ranger and Rogue listen in amazement as a Bard continues singing his Inspire Courage into a 6th verse.

Back in the saddle! You can see the beat up box of my TSR #1106 behind the 1st Edition Pathfinder Core Rules.

Last couple sessions of D&D were terrible. Back to back sessions Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

I don't think it was any one person's fault since most of us could have been a bit more focused. Our group has always been easily susceptible to distraction but this weekend was the worst it's ever been. Even DM seemed bored, and in turn didn't bother trying to reigning anybody in. I suspect he might be getting tired of DMing, which would suck because no one else seems to be willing. Might have to put my DM cap back on if I want to keep the group together, but I'd miss being a player.

zulux21

so I am going to start a pathfinder game soon, I was wondering if you guys knew any great sources for creating characters/encounters

for creating a player character so far the best thing i have found seems to be pcgen (I found some excel based sheets that seem like they have a lot of information but they don't run as smoothly as I like)

I also know http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ is a great source of information. pathfinder open reference app for android also seemed solid.

for creating encounters I have found two decent apps
Pathfinder NPC Gallery (seemed solid for quick encounters in a city)
Pathfinder Monsters OGL (has a great listing of monsters)

and a decent site
pathfinder npc generator

and for treasure this site seemed good

so anyone know any better sources, or sources I am missing?

Looks like you got most of it. another good site is http://www.archivesofnethys.com/, if you want to stick to only using 'official' pathfinder rules, as it has no third party content on it(and also can use the proper names for content related to the pathfinder setting, unlike the pfsrd). i don't use npc builders myself since i play on map tools and use adventure paths(and our own customized version of an google excel sheet my friend found), which pretty much provides everything i need sans the rare custom npc. on the note of building characters, there is a program called herolabs that is well supported and is suppose to be really good, but also cost money to use. whether or not the ease of use is worth the cost to you, idk.

zulux21

Looks like you got most of it. another good site is http://www.archivesofnethys.com/, if you want to stick to only using 'official' pathfinder rules, as it has no third party content on it(and also can use the proper names for content related to the pathfinder setting, unlike the pfsrd). i don't use npc builders myself since i play on map tools and use adventure paths(and our own customized version of an google excel sheet my friend found), which pretty much provides everything i need sans the rare custom npc. on the note of building characters, there is a program called herolabs that is well supported and is suppose to be really good, but also cost money to use. whether or not the ease of use is worth the cost to you, idk.
thanks for the response, the site you listed will for sure be useful as it has nice listings of some NPC which I can use if I need to wing it.

I will likely custom build a lot of stuff, but i hate forcing players down a given route thus I like having options to quickly wing stuff and since it's been a while since I have played in general as much random sources for winging it seems good.

I'll also look into herolab, as I am playing with two people who are new to pathfinder (but have played rpg systems before) I am not sure what the background of one player is, but for another it will be the first time they have played a D&D like system since 2.0 (though they have been playing the star wars system if I recall right, though I am not sure how that compares to pathfinder as I haven't played that system)

edit: I see hero lab is $30 for licenses for up to 2 computers... and that you can buy up to 3 more secondary licensees but they won't let me see how much more secondary licenses cost unless I log in with a herolab account which is only created when you buy herolab. so I was wondering if anyone had herolab and knew the pricing of more licenses as I have 4 computers around my house which would be enough for all the players.

dude

dude
So it seems Vampire: The Masquerade 4th edition has been announced at Gen Con!

I am super excited to play this in 2022
Still before Exalted 3

dude

dude
Sorry for the double post...
Has anyone here ever GM'd a Burning Wheel game? I could really use some advice.
My main problem is deciding what to test. There are a number of Stats, Attributes and over 400 skills. Considering the only way for my players to advance or learn new skills is through tests, I feel like I could use some experienced help.
With 400 skills, when do you ever test stats outside of explicitly mentioned tests in the book?
How do I know which skills should be tested, considering there are 400 and significant overlap?
What is the correct balance of existing skills and new skills so that my players don't advance too slow or too fast?

Question for DMs: it's pretty much become the house rule for the DnD group I'm currently a player in to beat down locked doors instead of finding the key or looking for another way around. They do this by making scratch damage on the thing with melee attacks until it's down - our DM is presumably using the AC and HP from the object tables in the DMG, so it isn't terribly difficult to beat down any door that isn't adamantium, and even then he lets us roll on it indefinitely so it's only a matter of time.

So I've been concocting my own campaign recently and plan to give DMing another go before long, and I don't know how to handle this situation. Why put a locked door in an environment if all they have to do is keep rolling until it's down? One obvious answer is to make everything mithril or adamantium or some other exotic metal, but those aren't really common and would break immersion if you found one in a bar's back room, for example. I can raise the AC and HP of doors, but even then it's still just a matter of rolling until you get a 20. I could tell them their sword breaks if they swing at it more than a couple times, but what about cantrips or bare-handed monks? I'm playing a monk and was charged with beating down a mithril door with my fists, and hilariously it worked.

I mean, I don't want to tell them "you can't beat down the door, because reasons", but I'm starting to think I might have to. Anyone else have experience here?

It's either that or the Investigator in the party can take 10 to unlock pretty much any door in existence. Your best bet is to have the doors trapped to encourage caution or just disregard doors entirely.

ultron87

In my games this is usually solved by having locked doors in places where the party can't reasonably spend 20 minutes beating them down or make the amount of noise that said beating down would cause without some pretty bad consequences (city watch gets called, monsters call reinforcements, bad guys set up ambush etc).

I mean, if you have a locked door you want the players to get through it eventually. Just set things up so that bashing it down isn't always the best choice.

In my games this is usually solved by having locked doors in places where the party can't reasonably spend 20 minutes beating them down or make the amount of noise that said beating down would cause without some pretty bad consequences (city watch gets called, monsters call reinforcements, bad guys set up ambush etc).

I mean, if you have a locked door you want the players to get through it eventually. Just set things up so that bashing it down isn't always the best choice.

Depending on which version you are playing, 20 minutes might be a waste of time for some characters who have time based buffs or abilities going, but if that is not a problem, the above is really the best choice. I bet after they beat down a door, get fireball in a face by the wizard waiting on the other side and have to deal with 2 other entire encounters who joined the combat because they could hear them beating on a door for 10 plus minutes, they might reconsider their options.

I bet after they beat down a door, get fireball in a face by the wizard waiting on the other side and have to deal with 2 other entire encounters who joined the combat because they could hear them beating on a door for 10 plus minutes, they might reconsider their options.

That was my thought as well. Door goes down, fireball explodes, and they're now facing all the dozen or two monsters from 4 or 5 party-level CR encounters at once. Cue Yakety Sax as they run for their lives.

embalm

Question for DMs: it's pretty much become the house rule for the DnD group I'm currently a player in to beat down locked doors instead of finding the key or looking for another way around.
This is a great question. So let's start with something very simple...

Why is the door locked? Who or what is on the other side? Doors should usually be open, if you want the door to require a key you need to answer those questions and make their answers matter.
In addition to that think about why hacking a door down might be a bad decision, then put those bad decisions into the dungeon. Time limits, wondering monsters hearing the noise, bad guys getting ready, bad guys escaping, hostages being killed, and so much more.

Here are a few examples.

The Locked Guard Barracks -
Inside of this room is a bunch of drunken mercenaries hired by the evil guy. They lock the door to keep out wondering monsters and so they can drink without the evil guy getting on their case. If you take your time trying to knock down the door, they get ready for battle. Flipping over tables for cover and readying to take attacks. If you unlock the door, you get the surprise action and can talk out of the fight.

The Locked Hatch -
On the floor is a sturdy wooden hatch that leads into a dark room that smells of rancid trash. Hiding in the trash is an Otyugh and banging on the door usually means feeding time for him. So he moves close enough to door to grab the first person it sees, dragging them into the darkness. If the door is opened quickly, the Otyugh is in the open moving towers the door.

The Goblin Den -
An old ratty door. Easy to hack through, but goblins are skittish little creatures. They run into tiny tunnels that connect to other rooms and warn the other goblins about intruders. That was their favorite door after all. Now you will pay.

The Studious Wizard -
Tired from studying all night, if the party keeps up that racket they are going to get a fire ball right in the face.

The Wondering Worm -
Hacking and banging draws the attention of a Purple Worm under ground. Maybe he misses on the first bite, but he will be much more accurate the next time.

The Door of Golem Disintegration Trap -
A mage under attack by his own Golems, enchanted this door to protect himself. Only living things can safely use this door. If any non-living matter touches the door it turns to dust. Including weapons, gauntlets, and golems. Be nice and give magic items a saving throw.

Slowly Approaching Doom -
A Fog that drains hit points slowly creeps closer. There are 3 doors to get through and no one is searching for the key.

This is a great question. So let's start with something very simple...

Why is the door locked? Who or what is on the other side? Doors should usually be open, if you want the door to require a key you need to answer those questions and make their answers matter.
In addition to that think about why hacking a door down might be a bad decision, then put those bad decisions into the dungeon. Time limits, wondering monsters hearing the noise, bad guys getting ready, bad guys escaping, hostages being killed, and so much more.

Here are a few examples.

The Locked Guard Barracks -
Inside of this room is a bunch of drunken mercenaries hired by the evil guy. They lock the door to keep out wondering monsters and so they can drink without the evil guy getting on their case. If you take your time trying to knock down the door, they get ready for battle. Flipping over tables for cover and readying to take attacks. If you unlock the door, you get the surprise action and can talk out of the fight.

The Locked Hatch -
On the floor is a sturdy wooden hatch that leads into a dark room that smells of rancid trash. Hiding in the trash is an Otyugh and banging on the door usually means feeding time for him. So he moves close enough to door to grab the first person it sees, dragging them into the darkness. If the door is opened quickly, the Otyugh is in the open moving towers the door.

The Goblin Den -
An old ratty door. Easy to hack through, but goblins are skittish little creatures. They run into tiny tunnels that connect to other rooms and warn the other goblins about intruders. That was their favorite door after all. Now you will pay.

The Studious Wizard -
Tired from studying all night, if the party keeps up that racket they are going to get a fire ball right in the face.

The Wondering Worm -
Hacking and banging draws the attention of a Purple Worm under ground. Maybe he misses on the first bite, but he will be much more accurate the next time.

The Door of Golem Disintegration Trap -
A mage under attack by his own Golems, enchanted this door to protect himself. Only living things can safely use this door. If any non-living matter touches the door it turns to dust. Including weapons, gauntlets, and golems. Be nice and give magic items a saving throw.

Slowly Approaching Doom -
A Fog that drains hit points slowly creeps closer. There are 3 doors to get through and no one is searching for the key.

Great post, thanks for the inspiration. I'll just go on a case by case basis.

Sera O

Banned
I'm pretty new to PnP RPGs, and thanks to Critical Role wanted to give a shot at playing. My first experience playing was at a drop-in event. It was incredibly fun, and I fell in love with it. In hindsight, it may just have been dumb luck that the style of the DM and the other players was in synch with the way I wanted to play.

Not long after, I was able to find a local DnD 5e group forming up out of randoms. We have a mix of veteran and new players. So far, we've done 2 sessions, and I was wondering... is there any advice you guys can offer me as a player on how to encourage more role playing?

Current state: we have an experienced player who enjoys explaining things and directing people. That's helpful in a way - however it also means he is talking most of the time, leaving less space for IC interactions/creativity. The DM's style is such that he reads blocks of text off the starter set in an uninflected, "I am reading this" tone. It's difficult to get into it with these two things in combination.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it seems somewhat flavourless so far. Maybe as coincidence, maybe because people are shy, whatever. I don't think it's that members of the group aren't interested in RPing, I just think there are factors that make it harder to do. So far, I'm going to stick out the starter set (I feel obligated to as it's been hard to get the requisite players who won't bail out as it is). But... if the dynamic stays the way it is, I fear it's going to feel like playing a boring MMO with an inefficient battle system for five hours each week.

I get that everyone has different aims and preferences. If this is the way the group is and everyone is cool with it, that's fine. I don't have to stick with it. I don't want to exert pressure or anything like that, but for the duration I've committed to it would be great if we could gel more and develop into something more collaborative. The comfort part may just be a function of time, but if you guys have any advice on how to encourage it, it's welcome! Thanks.

I'm pretty new to PnP RPGs, and thanks to Critical Role wanted to give a shot at playing. My first experience playing was at a drop-in event. It was incredibly fun, and I fell in love with it. In hindsight, it may just have been dumb luck that the style of the DM and the other players was in synch with the way I wanted to play.

Not long after, I was able to find a local DnD 5e group forming up out of randoms. We have a mix of veteran and new players. So far, we've done 2 sessions, and I was wondering... is there any advice you guys can offer me as a player on how to encourage more role playing?

Current state: we have an experienced player who enjoys explaining things and directing people. That's helpful in a way - however it also means he is talking most of the time, leaving less space for IC interactions/creativity. The DM's style is such that he reads blocks of text off the starter set in an uninflected, "I am reading this" tone. It's difficult to get into it with these two things in combination.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it seems somewhat flavourless so far. Maybe as coincidence, maybe because people are shy, whatever. I don't think it's that members of the group aren't interested in RPing, I just think there are factors that make it harder to do. So far, I'm going to stick out the starter set (I feel obligated to as it's been hard to get the requisite players who won't bail out as it is). But... if the dynamic stays the way it is, I fear it's going to feel like playing a boring MMO with an inefficient battle system for five hours each week.

I get that everyone has different aims and preferences. If this is the way the group is and everyone is cool with it, that's fine. I don't have to stick with it. I don't want to exert pressure or anything like that, but for the duration I've committed to it would be great if we could gel more and develop into something more collaborative. The comfort part may just be a function of time, but if you guys have any advice on how to encourage it, it's welcome! Thanks.

If you're not the DM and lack the agency to just outright tell your players "my NPCs don't respond to OOC banter, start RPing", the best you can do as a player is to lead by example. It's weird being the only one RPing at the table for a while, but if you can do it and make it look good, others will follow in your footsteps - especially when DM starts awarding inspiration.

Unless no one is interested in that element of the game and would rather play a number-crunching dungeon crawler, in which case there's really nothing you can do but adapt or find a new group.

Sera O

Banned
If you're not the DM and lack the agency to just outright tell your players "my NPCs don't respond to OOC banter, start RPing", the best you can do as a player is to lead by example. It's weird being the only one RPing at the table for a while, but if you can do it and make it look good, others will follow in your footsteps - especially when DM starts awarding inspiration.

Unless no one is interested in that element of the game and would rather play a number-crunching dungeon crawler, in which case there's really nothing you can do but adapt or find a new group.

I see what you're saying, and that's good advice.

Now that you mention inspiration and OOC banter, I am starting to suspect the DM doesn't even want us to roleplay or speak IC at all. So far he seems to find it obstructive and sometimes it seems almost like we are penalized for it.

NPC 'conversation' is also kind of weird. It's basically "So you walked into the building and there is a guy there. You talk to him and find out you should go to this town and do this thing. Then you leave the building." I'm just sitting there trying to find a point to interject something conversation-like, but... where?

Basically the only reason I want to play a PnP RPG would be for the stuff outside of dungeon crawling and combat, since obviously there are way more fun/efficient game genres with which to do that. If he is mostly interested in getting us from fight to fight, then yeah, after this it's back to videogames I guess. That's too bad.

Now that you mention inspiration and OOC banter, I am starting to suspect the DM doesn't even want us to roleplay or speak IC at all. So far he seems to find it obstructive and sometimes it seems almost like we are penalized for it.

NPC 'conversation' is also kind of weird. It's basically "So you walked into the building and there is a guy there. You talk to him and find out you should go to this town and do this thing. Then you leave the building." I'm just sitting there trying to find a point to interject something conversation-like, but... where?

Basically the only reason I want to play a PnP RPG would be for the stuff outside of dungeon crawling and combat, since obviously there are way more fun/efficient game genres with which to do that. If he is mostly interested in getting us from fight to fight, then yeah, after this it's back to videogames I guess. That's too bad.

That's a shame - it sucks having invested so much time and energy into the hobby, only to wind up in a group that doesn't value what you value from the game. That said, try to give it some time. You said you've only had 2 sessions, right? At that point, especially if most of the players (especially the DM) are new, they'll probably need a few sessions to really feel out the game and figure out what they want from it. In fact, many of them might seem so single-minded about combat specifically because that's what they were led to believe the game was about.

If things don't work out with this group for whatever reason, don't give up! Most gaming stores have DnD groups and if you're not averse to playing with strangers, they're almost always looking for someone to fill a vacancy. Ask DMs what kind of game they plan on running before you join - shop around. Good RPers are a valuable commodity.

FFG Force And Destiny Shipped! Should have it tomorrow.

Anyone else into FFG's Star Wars RPG?
YES! I have really fallen in love with the system. Not nearly as much time spent looking up rules, fairly easy to wing, and just all around fun. I'm thinking of trying to port Shadowrun into it, since I love the SR setting but the rules have always been bonkers.

I'm running a game right now, nothing heavily planned, but it's been fun enough.

Question for DMs: it's pretty much become the house rule for the DnD group I'm currently a player in to beat down locked doors instead of finding the key or looking for another way around.
Others have already given great suggestions, so instead I'll offer an anecdote.

Was playing 3.5 with one other person, plus a GM who is known to be ruthless. We had two tanky fighter types (Paladin levels + wand of cure light wounds was 99% of our healing). Locked doors were the bane of our existence. We could be almost 100% certain that with the amount of noise we made bashing down doors that whatever was on the other side was dug into cover, had friends, had buffs on, and had any number of ranged weapons pointed at our faces. What should have been fairly routine fights against a handful of low level monsters invariably ended up being slugfests that drained resources. Patting down bad guys for keys became so common it was actually assumed.

Good times.

You can do more with the hall the players are in also. There's an article in an old Dragon Magazine about Tucker's Kobolds. Holy shit, they actually have their own website. Basically it involves remembering that monsters aren't always completely dumb. Things like murder holes, arrow slits, burning oil... all things that can make knocking down a door suddenly a lot less inviting.

Incidentally, one of my favorite locked door traps?

Imagine if you will a long hallway with a single 5 foot space off one end forming an L shape. That single space has access to the (locked) door. Just next to that space is a rather impressive mural that hides a Lightning Bolt trap. The trap fires straight down the long hallway, leaving just the door space unzapped. Parties generally don't appreciate it when one member basically zaps the whole party.

Sera O

Banned
You said you've only had 2 sessions, right? At that point, especially if most of the players (especially the DM) are new, they'll probably need a few sessions to really feel out the game and figure out what they want from it. In fact, many of them might seem so single-minded about combat specifically because that's what they were led to believe the game was about.

Thanks. I will keep trying for the duration of the starter set - it may just be the newness factor. This may just be the GM's way of doing things normally - he has said many times that he has GMed many other games though he is new to 5e.

Luckily there is some drop in stuff available around here. At the very least it is more low-risk in terms of time commitment, so it won't be wasting weeks of Sundays once this is over with.

dude

dude
Any DM that does this:

Is a lousy DM in my book. Who the fuck is he to decide you leave the building? A DM that takes that much control over your character all time has no intention of playing for RP. A DM's responsibility is being the backdrop for your character, while he can ocassionaly describe how your action is carries out he should never choose your actions for you. If he's railroading you guys like that it seems to me like he basically wants a glorified video game rather than a role-playing experience.
Try talking to him, explain what your expectations are. It's very possible you have different approaches and play styles. Maybe he can introduce more RP to the game, or you can decide to find a new group.

Danoss

Any DM that does this:

Is a lousy DM in my book.

It's not railroading at that point, it's god-moding. This needs to be corrected ASAP. If they're not willing to listen or adjust what they're doing, it's time to GTFO.

This is what word processors are for. They can write a story on their own time.

Haha, yeah, I'd say he was railroading if he said "Suddenly a fire breaks out in the tavern, forcing you out into the street". What he's doing is essentially taking agency away from the players and playing their characters for them, which is just about the worst "sin" a DM can commit.

Sera O, here's your problem: either your DM is less experienced than he lets on and won't admit it, or worse still he actually has been playing this way for years and doesn't want to play any other way. If it's the former, there's still some hope that he'll find his footing and run a decent game (we all suck our first few times behind the screen) - be paient with him and perhaps he'll open up. If it's the latter, however, there's not much hope of the situation improving. No one likes being told they're doing something wrong, especially if they consider themselves experienced, but sometimes you just have to tell them when they're doing something wrong - if they're worth their salt, they'll listen to their players and change their ways. You might want to consider asking your fellow players if they're satisfied with his DMing style so you're not the odd man out when you bring it up.

embalm

What your DM is doing is boring, but it's not always wrong. Some groups like to skip the roleplay and get to the Dugeons, Puzzles, and Battles. Get a feel for your group by testing the role play waters. The best way to start is to have a character with a Flaw. This is so your roleplaying doesn't come off as meta-gaming, it may or may not benefit you at all, but let the flaw help guide your characters actions. Here are a few flaws that could help with the situation you described.

Forgetful -
You walk right back into the tavern and ask again, but you forget the actual question. Now you are forcing the DM to have an actual conversation with your character. At anytime you want to end it, you remember your real question and ask it again.

Mistrusting -
Maybe you don't believe a word that bartender told you. If you're good then maybe you get try to find a second source of information. If you're evil then maybe you find out where he lives, kill his family, and wait for him to come home in the dark.

Drunk -
You drink a lot of booze while talking to the bartender. You tell the party everything, but the information is mixed up. If they listen to you they will never reach the next mission.

Thief -
You were using the conversation to case the joint. Steal what you can at night.

You should also try plotting with another player. If 2 members of the party are scheming to roleplay something out then the DM should really take note and roleplay back. If he doesn't take advantage of a situation like that then there is no hope for him. You can mix some some of the ideas to tag team roleplay the bartender. Maybe you distract him by getting drunk, while the thief steals what he can from some of the patrons. Maybe you talk the bard into singing a song while interrogate the bartender until you trust him.

Sera O

Banned
Thanks guys, for all your input and those practical suggestions. We are doing the Starter's Set, and the pre-gen characters have story-related background/flaw. My character has a lot of reasons to be paranoid in the next town. I can see what happens when it becomes harder to do non-combat interaction as cardboard standees with quest objectives written on.

We are a group of strangers for the most part and are still feeling the group out so I will start with trying to RP more and hopefully there will be response to it.

I am glad I went to that drop-in session first and had such a good time there. If this group were my first taste of DnD I might have dismissed it as boring as fuck and not for me.

Top Bottom