• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PnP RPGs OT || Come play the REAL RPGs

Just got back...all in all, it felt like the ideal game of novice DnD. No one knew what they were doing, it was even my more experienced friend's first time DM'ing so we were all being exposed to something new. None of us were really sure how we should be handling the roleplaying element, but the important thing is we all tried and got a lot more comfortable with it as we progressed. We instituted a rule that we had to graphically describe every kill we made, which really broke the ice when it came to being descriptive. I got really lucky with my rolls and scored more crits than I really had any right to (especially when another player had consistently shitty luck, wish I could have swapped a few rolls with him).

Only regret is that we didn't get as far as we wanted and we might not be able to meet again for a while. Back to learning the game by myself again, I guess. Still, it was great to have that first-hand experience.

Okay can someone explain something simple in 5E to me, I'm new to DnD. When making a ranged spell attack it's against armor class unless the target has to make a saving throw and then it's against the caster's spell save dc right?

Nairume

Banned
Okay can someone explain something simple in 5E to me, I'm new to DnD. When making a ranged spell attack it's against armor class unless the target has to make a saving throw and then it's against the caster's spell save dc right?
Unless it says otherwise (like with Magic Missile not requiring either), then yes.

So are there any resources out there for beginners besides the manuals that breaks everything down into easily-digestible bits? I'm about to receive the PHB and DM guide but I was curious if there were any recommended resources that present the information differently, like a video series.

Mike M

Nick N
So are there any resources out there for beginners besides the manuals that breaks everything down into easily-digestible bits? I'm about to receive the PHB and DM guide but I was curious if there were any recommended resources that present the information differently, like a video series.
I guess it depends on what information you're looking for?

Nairume

Banned
While it's not a video, the free Basic version of the ruleset isn't a bad place to start if you haven't already used it. Everything it has is in the full books you've got on the way, but it distills out a lot of the advanced/complex/optional mechanics so you can focus on learning the game's core elements without having to sort out stuff you may or may not end up using.

I guess it depends on what information you're looking for?

I think if I narrowed it down to one sticking point, it's die rolls - what the check against, what die to use for what purpose, etc.

I'll also take a look at the basic rule book and see if it clarifies anything for me, thanks.

Mike M

Nick N
I think if I narrowed it down to one sticking point, it's die rolls - what the check against, what die to use for what purpose, etc.

I'll also take a look at the basic rule book and see if it clarifies anything for me, thanks.
Yeah, the basic rules will probably cover that for you.

Nairume

Banned
I guess that's easy enough to break down here.

d20s will always be used for ability/skill checks and attack rolls, and are thus the dice you use when you are interacting with the world. The only time you will roll anything else during an ability/skill check or an attack roll is when you've got something going on that lets you add another kind of dice to your d20 roll (like adding a d4 when being supported by a Guidance spell or any of the other dice when supported by a Bard's inspiration technique).

Rule of thumb for *when* to make those kinds of checks is whenever there is a reasonable chance of failure. Things like opening a door that is unlocked, unblocked, and untrapped door with no enemies hiding behind it shouldn't require a check because there's no effort involved in that act and there's reasonably nothing that your character would fail at while doing so. Likewise, with combat, killing an enemy that is asleep and unable to fight back/defend themselves should not require a check because your character probably isn't going to fail at stabbing a defenseless stationary target.

The other dice are used to determine the effectiveness of actions determined by your d20 rolls. Typically this largely concerns damage, but can also include things like how many people you can put to sleep with a Sleep spell, how much money you earn from a performance, etc. Which dice to use is largely conditional on what action you are doing, but that's usually plainly laid out.

Thanks guys. My group has nominated me to DM our next session and I have no idea where to begin, and our group has grown by 4 people overnight. Things are really starting to come together.

Nairume

Banned
As a good beginning GM tip, don't be afraid to use the old standby of starting them off in a tavern and having them pick up a basic quest while they are there. While it's definitely a cliche, it became one because it's an easy and effective way of having a group of characters organically meet up and get an adventure going.

Of course, don't feel like that means you should do that if you have something better in mind. Just don't write it off if you have a good idea for an adventure and just don't know where to start.

As a good beginning GM tip, don't be afraid to use the old standby of starting them off in a tavern and having them pick up a basic quest while they are there. While it's definitely a cliche, it became one because it's an easy and effective way of having a group of characters organically meet up and get an adventure going.

Of course, don't feel like that means you should do that if you have something better in mind. Just don't write it off if you have a good idea for an adventure and just don't know where to start.

That's where our last game started, too, and I agree that it's more useful than it is tiresome to me (at this point). I might just go off a pre-made module to begin with and leave the finer details of world-building for when I have more experience with the game.

Nairume

Banned
Lost Mine of Phandelver. It's a great adventure, but obviously does require getting the starter set.

If you are wanting something free, this adventure on DriveThruRPG seems to be solid enough on a cursory glance. It's short, but should be able to hold your group over for a session and give you an idea on where to go from there.

Also, while it's not 5E, Wizards of the Coast did make the 4E starter adventure, Keep on the Shadowfell, free to download. If you don't mind doing a little legwork in updating the encounters/items (which shouldn't be as daunting of a task for this particular adventure, since it just uses the same kinds of level 1 critters that 5E uses), it's a very good introductory adventure for players that also has a lot of helpful tips for new GMs.

I picked up the Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure from the starter kit - thanks for the recommendation Nairume.

It's going to be a busy couple of weeks for me, PnP-wise. I'm DM'ing my first DnD game Saturday, a friend is DM'ing a game of his own invention next Wednesday, and who knows what my DnD group will want to do after that.

Have to put my nose to the grindstone and finish reading the DM manual, as well as the adventure booklet.

So we worked ourselves into a corner in Shadowrun where the DM doesn't like the mission we chose, mainly because what we're trying to go for is something he knows nothing about (even outside the game).

So with that, we're going to be starting a Pathfinder game.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
So we worked ourselves into a corner in Shadowrun where the DM doesn't like the mission we chose, mainly because what we're trying to go for is something he knows nothing about (even outside the game).

So with that, we're going to be starting a Pathfinder game.

Pathfinder always looks so awesome to me. Have fun mate!

Mike M

Nick N
Picked up some sticky tabs to mark the most useful pages/tables/etc in the 5th ed. books for DMs. Recommendations?
For me, probably loot tables, encounter building guide, and that list of monsters by biome.

So I've roped some friends into letting me DM a game, and in my... Abundant enthusiasm, I got a folding dry erase map, some markers, a box of Pathfinder NPC pawns (will also need to pick up a Bestiary box... Or two...), and then I remembered I inexplicably have two copies of Hero Quest, so I've raided those for tiles and furniture.

So, uh... Suggestions for storage solutions, anyone?

DMing went-semi well, for my first time anyway. Kept everyone interested, though I wish I had made it a bit more immersive for them - I also spoiled a couple things on accident by reading the flavor text in the adventure manual I was reading from. I think I spent too much time with my nose stuck in the book and not enough time engaging the players.

I think I could improve with experience, but in all honesty I vastly prefer playing a character to DMing - when playing as the latter I feel like nothing's at stake and I generally don't like being the center of attention.

My group is meeting again this week with a new DM who really seems to have a passion for it. Going to roll a Tiefling Warlock street preacher trying (unsuccessfully) to spread the worship of his bizarre patron deity.

I picked up the Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure from the starter kit - thanks for the recommendation Nairume.

It's going to be a busy couple of weeks for me, PnP-wise. I'm DM'ing my first DnD game Saturday, a friend is DM'ing a game of his own invention next Wednesday, and who knows what my DnD group will want to do after that.

Have to put my nose to the grindstone and finish reading the DM manual, as well as the adventure booklet.

Yeah, I'll echo the sentiments that Lost Mine... is a really good adventure.

It's well laid out and easy to read. Its also somewhat modular, so if your players want to go off the beaten path, there are things for them to run into, or distract them from the main story line.

For me, probably loot tables, encounter building guide, and that list of monsters by biome.

So I've roped some friends into letting me DM a game, and in my... Abundant enthusiasm, I got a folding dry erase map, some markers, a box of Pathfinder NPC pawns (will also need to pick up a Bestiary box... Or two...), and then I remembered I inexplicably have two copies of Hero Quest, so I've raided those for tiles and furniture.

So, uh... Suggestions for storage solutions, anyone?

Tackle boxes, like for fishing. They also work wonders for games with tons of loose pieces (I'm looking at you, Twilight Imperium).

Anyone else on here who backed Mage 20th and has taken a look at the pdf?

Overall, I think it's very good. I've got a few minor quibbles (the Data sphere is a barely comprehensible mess, the author occasionally lets their politics shine through to the detriment of the quality of the writing, and I don't always agree with how much space was given to some topics relative to others), but on the whole, what I've read so far has looked very solid. The rules have changed slightly compared to previous versions, streamlining things in every case I've noticed. I really like the Future Fates sidebars that make it easy to run at basically any point in the meta-plot you want. A number of items that I found confusing or unclear in Revised (e.g. paradigm/focus/etc., the structure of the other worlds) I think are explained much better here. And, perhaps most valuable in my mind, is that it doesn't feel like you need 20 different (sometimes contradictory) books just to run a dang game. Having everything from basic magic rules to statting and running marauders and nephandi in one place is very, very nice.

Mike M

Nick N
Tackle boxes, like for fishing. They also work wonders for games with tons of loose pieces (I'm looking at you, Twilight Imperium).
Heh, yeah, that's mostly the direction I went.

Dungeon in a box!
uJKGInO.jpg

Stupid phone not recognizing landscape mode...

PnP session tonight with a friend who's DM'ing a game of his own creation. I don't know how I'll be able to stop myself from nitpicking his rules...

Red Mage

So, bit of an odd question. Never used miniatures before and I'm about to get my gnome painted. Should I pay the extra five bucks for blacklining or not?

You probably shouldn't even bother with a customized figure at all. Odds are, the character won't last long enough for it to be worthwhile.

Even if you've already gone to the trouble to get a figure and paint it, don't spend the extra 5 bucks.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm looking forward to FFG's release of Force and Destiny. I plan on getting some of those books. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a group to play with, but I'll be reading them in any event. I haven't tried playing online in a while.

I wonder wat programs are the most popular these days? I have a license for D20Pro and Fantasy Grounds. But since then there are some new players in the landscape such as Roll20.net

Our D&D group has grown to about 6 people and we're starting to get a regular crowd together.

Any advice for keeping a large (often silly) group on track? I'm not the DM currently but I can tell he's getting frustrated with certain players being prone to distraction.

I was at the store with my dad last weekend when I randomly saw the 5th edition starter set. My dad talked me into buying it.

I haven't played since 3rd edition, but had a pretty good grasp on its rules. I was able to quickly pick up the new rules and digest them without much problems and I really dig the changes made. Some good stuff there. Good stuff.

Last thursday, I ran my first game with the starter set. I DMed, and I had a group of three players. We did Lost Mines of Phandelver and got about halfway through the first cave. They actually managed to kill the "boss", Klarg, before going through the other rooms due to climbing up the chimney.

My friends are first time role players, so there was all sorts of shenanigans as they exploit what the limits of their character are. My roommate, for example, fled into the forest at the first battle, making the other two fight off the goblin ambush by themselves. When he came back, he said he had encountered a demon who told him he has to live the rest of his life as a woman named Caitlyn or else his soul will be stolen. I've decided to run with that, so if he breaks character even once, he's going to get visited by some fucking demons.

I already went ahead and purchased the core rulebooks. I'm hoping my friends keep enjoying playing. They didn't seem to "love" the game, but they asked to play again this week so we're going to keep going. I'm happy, because now we're going to make it to Phandalin. Once they get to interact with NPCs, I think they'll really get into it. If not...then I probably just wasted $100, but c'est la vie.

My worry is that I'm always going to be DM. Which is cool, because I do like coming up with stories. But some times, I wanna be the guy who gets to ball around with a Sorceror fighting monsters and not having to worry about stocking dungeons, or managing mobs.

dude

dude
Green Ronin launched a kickstarter for the new version of Blue Rose - A very intriguing Romantic Fantasy RPG. Check it out!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What is a romantic fantasy RPG? Also I think I read on Wikipedia its rule set was based on a streamlined D20 system and then became True20?

dude

dude
What is a romantic fantasy RPG? Also I think I read on Wikipedia its rule set was based on a streamlined D20 system and then became True20?

Its their name to a specific kind of fantasy - Talking animals are normal, highly magical world, a benevolent queen chosen by divine intervention... It's also the first RPG I've ever seen that talks about how to play transgender characters.

And this was indeed the system that started True20, but they're adapting to the their new AGE system (That was used in the Dragon Age RPG) for this new version.

Still trying to get my bearings on 5e. In practice, what is the difference between doing something like an Atheletics(Str) check vs doing an Atheletics(Dex) check?

Mike M

Nick N
Still trying to get my bearings on 5e. In practice, what is the difference between doing something like an Atheletics(Str) check vs doing an Atheletics(Dex) check?
For me, Athletics is for feats of endurance and strength (basically think summer Olympic events), Acrobatics is for things requiring nimbleness.

Athletics is like.. physical acts such as Climbing or Swimming or Jumping a long distance gap.

Also things that are brute force like breaking ropes when you're tied up or pushing over a statue (though many DMs will just ask for a straight Str check for those).

Acrobatics is basically anything that would require balance/coordination while moving. So like.. running on top of a skinny wall, trying to run on Ice, etc... Also for straight up Acrobatic things like trying to do a Flip or Dive. Stuff like that.

Of course.. different DM's may view that differently or may even allow players to pick either one.

That makes sense. So if we take that one step further, in terms of gameplay..

Say you have a character who is level 1, so they have a +2 proficiency bonus. Their str modifier is +1 and their dex modifier is +0.

In Situation 1, they are trying to climb up a wall. The DM calls for a Athletics (str) check.

The player would roll 1d20+1+2, correct?

In situation 2, they're trying to walk a tight rope. The DM calls for an Athletics (dex) check.
The player would roll 1d20+0+2, yeah?

Do I have this down?

Mike M

Nick N
That makes sense. So if we take that one step further, in terms of gameplay..

Say you have a character who is level 1, so they have a +2 proficiency bonus. Their str modifier is +1 and their dex modifier is +0.

In Situation 1, they are trying to climb up a wall. The DM calls for a Athletics (str) check.

The player would roll 1d20+1+2, correct?

In situation 2, they're trying to walk a tight rope. The DM calls for an Athletics (dex) check.
The player would roll 1d20+0+2, yeah?

Do I have this down?
Provided they are proficient in those skills, yes, that's correct.

Another question.

A player is battle is goblin next to a pool of water. The player wants to try to drown the goblin in the water. How would you handle that?

I was thinking of starting with a grapple check. If the player is successful, they can then move the goblin to the pool of water.

Per the suffocation rules, a monster passes out after 30 seconds + 1 minute x their con modifier. If the goblin has a con modifier of zero, that means he has passed out after 30 seconds, or 5 or 6 rounds. Each round the goblin and player do their grapple checks. If the goblin can't break free after 6 rounds, it passes out. Should I bother doing death saving throws for the goblin? Or should I just have it die then and there?

Nairume

Banned
If it's just a grunt enemy, don't bother with death saves.

Otherwise, yeah, a grapple into the water with opposed checks every turn sounds like it should work fine. I'd probably also rule that the goblin is at a disadvantage with its opposed rolls once it's actually in the water, since your player would basically be on top of him at that point.

So my friends I’ve been playing with are officially done after two sessions. They’ve decided they don’t like it and don’t want to play anymore.
So I guess my 5e books and starter set I bought are gonna collect dust. I’d go to gaming store but none of the local games schedules match up with mine. Plus its just not the same.
A damn shame I was having fun.

So my friends I’ve been playing with are officially done after two sessions. They’ve decided they don’t like it and don’t want to play anymore.
So I guess my 5e books and starter set I bought are gonna collect dust. I’d go to gaming store but none of the local games schedules match up with mine. Plus its just not the same.
A damn shame I was having fun.

I'd say look into the online options. Roll20.net is what I use. It's free with the option to support them for more extensive features. There's an official site too. Fantasy grounds virtual table I think. Though I believe you have to license the modules maybe?

One person of the four I was playing with enjoys it, so maybe I can work with him. And the other guy... he likes it but I have to fight with him for control over the GM and that is why he isn't have fun. He wants to go ridiculous and have fun, and I try to hang with him but I'm keeping it too grounded. He doesn't really know the rules too well and doesn't really give a shit to learn them. He just wants to control both his character and the world. He'll do something like "Parnell shakes his head at the goblin. The goblin shakes his head back understanding fully what Parnell intends", refusing to let me, the DM, control the world. I'm fine with players having input and control over the flow of the story. But at the same time, I think the players need to steer through action and not through usurping the DM. And so that is where he gets frustrated.

The last player just doesn't give a shit.

One person of the four I was playing with enjoys it, so maybe I can work with him. And the other guy... he likes it but I have to fight with him for control over the GM and that is why he isn't have fun. He wants to go ridiculous and have fun, and I try to hang with him but I'm keeping it too grounded. He doesn't really know the rules too well and doesn't really give a shit to learn them. He just wants to control both his character and the world. He'll do something like "Parnell shakes his head at the goblin. The goblin shakes his head back understanding fully what Parnell intends", refusing to let me, the DM, control the world. I'm fine with players having input and control over the flow of the story. But at the same time, I think the players need to steer through action and not through usurping the DM. And so that is where he gets frustrated.

The last player just doesn't give a shit.

That really sucks - I know what it's like to be part of a group who all seem to have different priorities, though thankfully the guys I play with all seem to be interested...albeit in different things. Our DM tries to keep things grounded but he caves a bit too easily to player demands. I'm kind of the more serious roleplayer, we've got a guy who just wants to game the system and win at any cost, we've got a couple who occasionally try to RP but eventually backslide into OOC silliness. I may have had a different idea of the sort of game I wanted to play going into it, but I've come to accept and enjoy that this is the game I have.

Your one friend who's still interested - does he have any friends who are interested? That's how our group grew - friends asking friends asking friends. As for the guy who wants to play but doesn't respect your role as DM, that's a bit tougher. Frankly I wouldn't tolerate someone trying to backseat DM, but his bristling under the rules isn't uncommon by any stretch. I don't know what kind of DM you are, but maybe try to get across why structure is important in a game like this. It sounds like he's the kind of player who just wants to test the boundaries of the world. Let him! Just have him roll for the outlandish stuff with an appropriate DC. Maybe see if he wants to DM his own session to see what it's like in your shoes?

Top Bottom