• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Toxi

Banned
Would be awesome if you can dress up as previous protags.
I'd be down for this. I'd probably combine Lucas's pimp coat with Red's hat (Original, accept no substitutes) and some jeans.

WOW ARE YOU SERIOUS
JESUS MAN, GET THAT RETRO BULLSHIT OUT OF HERE
ALWAYS BRINGING UP THE PAST, HOLY SHIT
WE GET IT ALREADY
FUCKING GENWUNNERS DUDE, ALWAYS BRINGING US DOWN
???

I get that you're trying to make fun of a mindset, but I don't actually see that mindset in this thread or on these forums.

Nobody is opposed to DLC if it's done right. Cosmetic DLC is one of those times.

I would have to disagree with this. One thing I HAVE noticed this gen is a backlash to DLC practices in games with far fewer fans than Pokemon. And on top of that, as I pointed out, this demo isn't the best for this kinda thing.

To clarify:

Team Fortress 2 started out as a retail game, part of the Orange Box. It moved on to a F2P model 4 years after it released. Valve could afford to experiment like this because:
1. They had an alternate revenue stream in Steam.
2. The game itself had most likely made back its dev costs and then some.

The approach taken by Valve is probably going to be different than a game which sets out from the beginning to take advantage of the freemium model.

Example article: The Top F2P Monetization Tricks

That said, it's certainly GF's choice to try and do a free game with outfits (though it's hard to say whether the main audience would care to pay for MC costumes en masse when they mainly play for the Pokemon...).
Exactly. Only see a select few mature players caring enough about their MC look to bye the "5$ fedoras" (again, context. This works for MMOs for a reason) or whatever ... and kids. Kids who don't know the value of money and can end up following the path of those 7 year old twins who racked up $3000 of stuff for some itunes game earlier this year.

Even ignoring how exploitative DLC is for kids .. what exactly WOULD make tons of players want to buy some DLC? Most likely things related to Pokemon like custom animations, new attacks, special Pokemon, lil props you can give them in battle, ways to speed up breeding and egg hatching and other things that consume the majority of what people focus on. (all of which I'm sure many would call the "wrong way" to do DLC as the moment that happens the trust they have gained from all these years with fans will begin to crumble right there)

Toxi

Banned
Custom battle animations?

Hmm... I'd be down for that. Especially if you could tie animations to specific attacks (So if you want your Mega-Blastoise to attack with its main cannon for Hydro Pump and with the mouth for Ice Beam, you could do that).

I get that you're trying to make fun of a mindset, but I don't actually see that mindset in this thread or on these forums.
I take it you haven't been here long.
I would have to disagree with this. One thing I HAVE noticed this gen is a backlash to DLC practices in games with far fewer fans than Pokemon. And on top of that, as I pointed out, this demo isn't the best for this kinda thing.
Don't base your DLC views on what EA does onto DLC as a whole. Cosmetic DLC isn't bad at all. It's just costumes and other non-essential things. If Nintendo was holding back significant game-content behind a paywall, then yes, that would be the time for anger.

Toxi

Banned
I'd be rocking the Platinum Lucas look.

It's amazing what a difference a coat can make.

Diamond_Pearl_Lucas.png
220px-Platinum_Lucas.png

DaBoss

One of the true megatons of X/Y is this...
gNgGbks.png

Not ride-able Pokémon, it is the fact that those small ridges actually look like they have elevation lol.

Don't base your DLC views on what EA does onto DLC as a whole. Cosmetic DLC isn't bad at all. It's just costumes and other non-essential things. If Nintendo was holding back significant game-content behind a paywall, then yes, that would be the time for anger.

Again, it's context sensitive. Yes, cosmetic stuff can be a very cool thing when done right for the right game. Like with MMOs.

But to make a F2P Pokemon game based around "5$ fedoras" with a game series geared towards kids? Cosmetic DLC wouldn't be able to live off of the people with money because they would be paying for cloths in a single player game for a character few people would ever see (Not even counting that kids exploited).

There's no huge reason to just have-to-have w/e look in this game. So for a F2P model to work you would have to go after the elephant in the room ... Pokemon. And beside the special attacks/ pokemon I listed ... everything there wouldn't be a "locked behind a pay wall". You could still battle and breed like normal but there could be "breeder cards" that allow you to jump on a treadmill to hatch eggs faster and with no fuss. Or you could be playing against someone and notice that their Pikachu has a Top hat, Monical and cane ... along with fancy fresh animations that yours doesn't have. This is the type of thing that causes backlash and distrust from customers. Now fans have to wonder if the reg Pokemon animations are gimped to make people want the "proper animations" that you only get from DLC. Did they choose to make it harder to hatch eggs on the map to make people want the treadmill?

These are things people think about all the time with DLC.

On top of that it already rocked the fan-base that's old enough to pay for stuff when they revealed Pokebank ... I don't see any good coming from an excise in DLC.

For the record I reckon Pokémon would be a poor fit for cosmetic DLC. I've seen some terrible stories about Angry Birds and kids and credit cards.

I mean I play Dota 2 and that has the best F2P system I've ever seen but Dota's target audience isn't 10 year olds.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My one hope for a DROPPED feature would be that stupid pokemon dressup minigame. Please make it go away, or make it at least optional.

My one hope for a DROPPED feature would be that stupid pokemon dressup minigame. Please make it go away, or make it at least optional.

...I'm pretty sure it's always been optional.

It was good fun to dress up your Pokémon in goofy outfits every once in a while though. We dubbed one of my friends "The Musical King" because literally no one could defeat him in a musical challenge :D

Derwind

Pokemon contests or burst. They were legitimately the only non-battle stuff that I appreciated.

I liked the Mall(Join Avenue) in the BW2 series. I liked helping the stores grow and hiring people in the Avenue as my staff. Seeing many people I met on my adventures come to the Avenue. ect...

If they can make something similar and a little more interactive I'd be super happy.

Also I was a little sad when they dropped the gambling/gaming corner from the games. It could have been great if they developed it properly.

Top Bottom