• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Neo-Red is a fine update to red but the girl design in that game is even better.

Hell the last male character I played was in fact the Fire Red male to go truly old school.

-Horizon-

I actually liked the player designs from R/S/E.

D/P/P were kind of lame. B/W were better, HG/SS was good, B2/W2 were meh, FR/LG were also good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Black/White Female, R/S/E Female, B2/W2 Female, FR/LG Female, HG/SS Female, D/P/Pl Female, Red/Blue/Yellow Male, Crystal Female, FR/LG Male, B/W Male, HG/SS Male, B2/W2 Male, D/P/Pl Male, GSC Male, RSE Male.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't liked the player characters in quite a while. Like Gold best.

MarkusRJR

So I started a new Pokémon White save to hype me up for X/Y. I decided to go for Pokémon types I never use usually. Could someone help explain the type advantages and disadvantages between the Ghost, Dark, and Psychic types? They all seem so similar that I'm always forgetting. Any easy tips to help remember would be wonderful. :)

Due to this new play through, I have a newfound love for Escavelier. My new favorite.

I feel that Nintendo should add DLC cosmetics to XY. They could make quite a lot of money off dumb fat Redditors from downloadable $5 fedoras.

So I started a new Pokémon White save to hype me up for X/Y. I decided to go for Pokémon types I never use usually. Could someone help explain the type advantages and disadvantages between the Ghost, Dark, and Psychic types? They all seem so similar that I'm always forgetting. Any easy tips to help remember would be wonderful. :)

Due to this new play through, I have a newfound love for Escavelier. My new favorite.
Get familiar with the type chart:
http://pokemondb.net/type

...then when XY comes out get familiar with it again!

Firestorm

I feel that Nintendo should add DLC cosmetics to XY. They could make quite a lot of money off dumb fat Redditors from downloadable $5 fedoras.
Free to Play with paid accessories?
I'm in.
Get familiar with the type chart:
http://pokemondb.net/type

...then when XY comes out get familiar with it again!
It's like your multiplication tables. You just learn it growing up. You just do.

Also yeah, just learn the new one instead:

http://www.pokemonxy.com/_ui/img/_en/art/Type-Matchup_chart_EN.pdf

Qurupeke

Types aren't that hard to remember. I usually have trouble only with some types like ghost or dark. Ghost weak to dark and ghost? Psychic weak to Bug? .____.

Firestorm

Somehow fans want nintendo to be the bad guy.
Could you please explain to me how lowering the cost of entry to $0 and charging for purely cosmetic items that have 0 effect on gameplay is being a "bad guy"? I would really love to hear this. Hell even if it wasn't $0 how is it being a "bad guy"?

Dr. Buni

Could you please explain to me how lowering the cost of entry to $0 and charging for purely cosmetic items that have 0 effect on gameplay is being a "bad guy"? I would really love to hear this. Hell even if it wasn't $0 how is it being a "bad guy"?

What if one wants the "purely cosmetic" items for free? Why should one pay more for content that could perfectly have been put in the games to begin with?

Yeah, if they charge for any DLC, they are "the bad guys".

Toxi

Banned
Leaf and Hilda are my personal favorite female designs. Red and Platinum Brendan with the pimp coat are my favorite male designs.

X/Y male has too tight pants. I guess I'm going with the chicka.
Psychic is Super-effective against Poison and Fighting, not very effective against Psychic and Steel, and does nothing to Dark.

Both Ghost and Dark are super effective against the same types (Ghost and Psychic). Ghost is not very effective against Steel and Dark and does nothing to Normal. Dark is not very effective against Fighting, Steel, and Dark.

Fighting is super effective against Dark. Bug is super effective against Dark and Psychic. We, the Arthropoda, will take reign over all.

Tusk

That Fennekin plushie shall be mine!

You know what would be nice in X/Y? If seasons are back and there are seasonal clothes you can get! :3

Late reply, 'cuz I went to bed early last night, but that froakie won shall be all mine. >:D

I agree with that, by the way. :p Seasonal outfits would be adorable. Like.. a santa outfit for the female character, and maybe an elf for the male during winter. Lmao

PK Gaming

What's wrong with Hilbert?

And Nate isn't too bad without his weird tights/ capris and goofy visor.

B2W2_Nate_Pok%C3%A9star_Student.png

I really wish this was his default design.

The BW2 trainers in general have a soft special place in my heart because they're star actors (meaning, they can talk!).

DaBoss

I think the outrage is hyperbole. More like a small bit of confusion.

What if one wants the "purely cosmetic" items for free? Why should one pay more for content that could perfectly have been put in the games to begin with?

Yeah, if they charge for any DLC, they are "the bad guys".

No. Only some devs hold back stuff to charge for the content as DLC, or they purposely lock out content on the disc/cartridge and charge for it to be accessible.

Paid DLC is not a bad thing for content made after the game.

I think I'm never going to forget Nate's visor + hair combo.

Also, I'm going to pretend that the image never existed for now. But link it. You have to link it. I'd hate to lose another member.

Fireblend

Banned
Stumbled across these on a spanish Pokemon facebook page.

EDIT: Woah dang..wasn't expecting people to be upset with spoilers. Linked instead:

Pretty neat if they're legit. If they're not, I still like the look of that evo hah.

There's a spoilers thread over at the discussion forums for you to discuss these. They're not going to be very welcome here, FYI.

Wait, where did you get "0$" from? As in, giving the game out for free and charging for ... hats?

Anyway, on to how this makes for crappy anti-player relations!
1. It's horse armor at best. It's cosmetic, useless and over priced for a game that's not a friggin MMO. Cosmetics are not a focal point in this, not a true GamePlay goal. That's because it's not a MMO where a player's end game "look" could very well be a goal for most players because they interact with tons of other players in a massive world and want their character's to stand out. For Pokemon at best a nice few people are gonna see your character.

2. Demographics. Nintendo and GF know we play this game ... but that doesn't change the fact that it's a game geared towards children. So yeah, do you support them charging kids money ontop of $40 just to get a cool hat or some other cosmetic items? How are parents gonna look at this? What will mom think when lil Jimmy Two Shoes comes asking her over and over for money because "Nintendo says I have to give them $5 if I want to look like the Original Ash in my game"? Or any other paid DLC for that matter? Plus, neither GF nor Nintendo are hurting for money to the point where they gotta do MMO money dogging on their YOUNG players.

3. GF has and will for the foreseeable future ALWAYS be working on Pokemon titles. Their set up works well ... so that they can do this without the MMO tag line of "We-well, we need Money to keep pumping out content!". Unless it's a huge undertaking like PokeBank it shouldn't cost the player anything extra ...and even PokeBank is super duper cheap with it's 5$ a year price tag.

So yeah, if Nintendo and GF start pushing horse armor onto lil kids when they are perfectly able to make these useless cosmetics free then yeah ... they're doing "bad guy" stuff.

-Horizon-

Late reply, 'cuz I went to bed early last night, but that froakie won shall be all mine. >:D

I agree with that, by the way. :p Seasonal outfits would be adorable. Like.. a santa outfit for the female character, and maybe an elf for the male during winter. Lmao
Santa outfit for the girls? GOAT.

Aggrotek

Wait, where did you get "0$" from? As in, giving the game out for free and charging for ... hats?

Anyway, on to how this makes for crappy anti-player relations!
1. It's horse armor at best. It's cosmetic, useless and over priced for a game that's not a friggin MMO. Cosmetics are not a focal point in this, not a true GamePlay goal. That's because it's not a MMO where a player's end game "look" could very well be a goal for most players because they interact with tons of other players in a massive world and want their character's to stand out. For Pokemon at best a nice few people are gonna see your character.

2. Demographics. Nintendo and GF know we play this game ... but that doesn't change the fact that it's a game geared towards children. So yeah, do you support them charging kids money ontop of $40 just to get a cool hat or some other cosmetic items? How are parents gonna look at this? What will mom think when lil Jimmy Two Shoes comes asking her over and over for money because "Nintendo says I have to give them $5 if I want to look like the Original Ash in my game"? Or any other paid DLC for that matter? Plus, neither GF nor Nintendo are hurting for money to the point where they gotta do MMO money dogging on their YOUNG players.

3. GF has and will for the foreseeable future ALWAYS be working on Pokemon titles. Their set up works well ... so that they can do this without the MMO tag line of "We-well, we need Money to keep pumping out content!". Unless it's a huge undertaking like PokeBank it shouldn't cost the player anything extra ...and even PokeBank is super duper cheap with it's 5$ a year price tag.

So yeah, if Nintendo and GF start pushing horse armor onto lil kids when they are perfectly able to make these useless cosmetics free then yeah ... they're doing "bad guy" stuff.

Purely cosmetic dlc is fine. I don't see the issue. You don't HAVE to buy it. It doesn't make them bad guys to do it.

This may be a silly question but I am buying a 3DS specifically for X & Y and was wondering whether a 3DS or 3DS XL would be best for it.

I ask because I want the image to be as smooth as possible in terms of aliasing, I just want to get the best models without any jaggies.

-Horizon-

This may be a silly question but I am buying a 3DS specifically for X & Y and was wondering whether a 3DS or 3DS XL would be best for it.

I ask because I want the image to be as smooth as possible in terms of aliasing, I just want to get the best models without any jaggies.
People say the XL stretches the picture. Personally I'm alright with what I get on my XL but if you're a stickler for image quality, I say regular 3DS.

I dunno about avoiding jaggies completely, the 3DS is good, but it isn't good enough to prevent the occasional jaggy...

Personally, if you want the best visual experience of the game, go XL - the bigger screen doesnt change the pixel resolution (as I recall) - your just getting the game blown up to fit XL's screen as it were. But this is Nintendo, so it's actually done really well. Of course how well a game looks depends on the efforts Dev's put into their games, titles like Mario Kart and Ocarina 3D look really lovely. Sloppier titles look a bit less nice on 3DS XL

As someone who started with 3DS, and moved up to XL - 3D really did look so much better on the bigger screen. The only problem is the XL has cheaper speakers installed, so sound takes a bit of a dip on the XL unless you use headphones or earbuds.

Theres also the 2DS if 3D isn't something you want at all.

zroid

Banned
People say the XL stretches the picture. Personally I'm alright with what I get on my XL but if you're a stickler for image quality, I say regular 3DS.

stretches isn't the right word for it exactly... it's just the pixels are bigger

the IQ isn't "worse" but the flaws can be more apparent due to the larger pixels, whereas the OG 3DS conceals them

let me put it this way: aliasing will not be any worse on the 3DS XL than the OG. But if there is aliasing, you may be able to see it more easily on the XL. that's all.

Purely cosmetic dlc is fine. I don't see the issue. You don't HAVE to buy it. It doesn't make them bad guys to do it.

This is pretty true of any DLC though, most isn't a necessity at all, Cosmetic character skins ect.

Also as another poster noted, Pokemon's main demo is kids, Game freak have been doing this long enough to know how to be responsible. Kids are not good at all with knowing their game might not be complete. You stick Ash's hat up on some DLC purchase portal, kid pesters mum and dad because they ABSOLUTELY must have that one item Nintendo made you pay real moneybucks for. You eventually get Fox News-esque stories about how one kid got hold of their parents credit card and spent $200 so he could dress up in all of Ash's various uniforms.

Nintendo don't take chances with this sort of thing, they don't want that sort of thing happening on their watch and make sure that Microsoft Live/ Apple iOS purchasing disasters are not easy to do, or that any DLC is not so major a requirement to the title that people feel they need to take measures to get what they want.

Personally I think if GF want to do some kind of update where the fashions can be added to via Wifi, thats awesome but like...not even Style Savvy/Style Boutique did in-game DLC right?

One of the reasons I love Nintendo is because they don't lock down their games to DLC (that's on the disc really) type unlocks. Animal Crossing's promo items are always free, event Pokemon are pretty much free. That's awesome, and I hope it never changes.

Top Bottom