• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity |OT| Infinite Dungeons via Toilet Bowls

Rarutos

BCESbMG.png

[Release Data]

Official Site

NA Release Date: March 24, 2013
EU Release Date: May 17, 2013
AUS Release Date: May 18, 2013
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Genre: Roguelike
Developer: Chunsoft
Publisher: Nintendo

Demo is out now!

Will be available both at retail and in the eShop for $34.99 MSRP!

[Summary]

Amazon said:
  • Explore the infinite possibilities of Mystery Dungeons as they come to life with vibrant 3D graphics and detailed environments!
  • Become a Pokémon and travel through a fantastic land inhabited only by other Pokémon! Enlist their help as you build Pokémon Paradise! Play as Pikachu, Snivy, Oshawott, Tepig, or Axew and talk to other Pokémon.
  • There's a new adventure around every corner as you battle and befriend Pokémon, collect treasure, and explore Mystery Dungeons that change each time you enter!
  • Use the Nintendo 3DS Camera to discover Magnagates in the real world that lead to new Mystery Dungeons!
  • Play with up to 3 other people and explore Mystery Dungeons together.

["Starter" Pokémon]
f9bBFXl.png

Choose one of these Pokémon to be you, and another to be your Partner! No Personality Quiz this time around! (Yes, this is all of them)

In the Japanese version, you can also choose your partner's gender. This wasn't in the demo though, and it is unknown if it will be in the retail version.

[Post Town]
The Town you start in! Has basic functions such as Storage and the Kecleon Shop, among others! Post Town pretty much stays static (I think), unlike...

[Pokémon Paradise]
The Pokémon Paradise your Partner has always dreamed of creating! It starts out as a desolate area, but as your adventure goes on, you can begin to add shops and other stands of your choice! This is also where your base will be.

[Jobs]
Much like the previous Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games, you can accept jobs from other Pokémon for different rewards! And these jobs will lead you to...

[Dungeons]
Dungeons! Where all the action is. Every floor is randomly generated each time you enter the dungeon. All action is turn based, so plan carefully! Beware of traps, and be on the look out for useful items! There's no hunger (except in specific dungeons) in this game, unlike previous ones, so don't worry about getting hungry!

Also, Pokémon recruitment in this is a lot simpler, you can recruit Pokémon regardless of whether or not you have a full party so bring whoever you want! Also you can give presents to wild (unevolved) Pokémon to sway them into joining you, making it a much less random and painless process!

Also, all Pokémon you have recruited will now gain EXP regardless of whether they are in your party or not.

[Magnagates]

DWyzVcJ.png
tuRg1oU.png

Turn any round object into a Magnagate! Anything you get in here can be transferred to your main save. You can get items and maybe even encounter legendary Pokémon such as Ho-Oh or Lugia! You'll never run out of dungeons to explore if you keep finding these circle shaped objects in real life! Here are some more examples that you can use to create these randomized dungeons:

YNDatdr.png
jiUJeUq.png
flJV9u6.png
Y6er078.png

[Communications]

Local Co-Op:
Join up with people nearby who are also playing Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity to explore and battle through dungeons together! Up to four people can play at a time. (Each player must have his or her own Nintendo 3DS system and copy of the game.) In this mode, you can play as a different Pokémon on your team.

Streetpass:
Sometimes a friend, or even you, may faint inside a dungeon from enemy attacks and harmful traps. But you might be able to exchange rescues using the StreetPass™ feature. If you place a Reviver Seed in your Passerby Post and walk by someone who has fainted in a dungeon, you will automatically save that player. Maybe someone else will rescue you the same way!

(Excerpts taken from the Official Site)

[DLC]

There will be a few DLC dungeons coming out, including ones that allow you to recruit the other Starter Pokémon a lot earlier than normal, a dungeon full of Kecleon Shops, a dungeon for grinding, and a lot more! The DLC schedule may or may not be posted here depending on how lazy I am.

[Videos]

Trailer
Commercial
Japanese Animated Trailer #1
Japanese Animated Trailer #2

---

Kind of did this on a whim, since I didn't see anyone make one. :( Let me know if I missed anything or if any info is wrong! Thanks!

Credits to the Japanese and English Official sites for pictures/info, as well as Bulbapedia and Serebii for info. :)

only 5 main chars? I guess the personality test to choose you pokemon will be removed right?

EDIT: Oh god really?

Dungeons! Where all the action is. Every floor is randomly generated each time you enter the dungeon. All action is turn based, so plan carefully! Beware of traps, and be on the look out for useful items! There's no hunger (except in specific dungeons) in this game, unlike previous ones, so don't worry about getting hungry!

Also, Pokémon recruitment in this is a lot simpler, you can recruit Pokémon regardless of whether or not you have a full party so bring whoever you want! Also you can give presents to wild (unevolved) Pokémon to sway them into joining you, making it a much less random and painless process!

Also, all Pokémon you have recruited will now gain EXP regardless of whether they are in your party or not.

[[DLC]]

There will be a few DLC dungeons coming out, including ones that allow you to recruit the other Starter Pokémon a lot earlier than normal, a dungeon full of Kecleon Shops, a dungeon for grinding, and a lot more! The DLC schedule may or may not be posted here depending on how lazy I am.

Ok, Im leaving.

Rarutos

I play these games more for the stories than anything... They're actually really well done in my opinion, using Pokédex entries as basis for some plot points and whatnot. And both of the previous games' stories made me tear up a bit towards the end of them... So yeah!

They're still great fun in my opinion, and probably a good entry point for people interested in roguelikes because they are easy compared to most.

fernoca

Nice! Completelty ignored that you can choose your Pokémon without a quiz this time (I'm avoiding the demo). No more going to GameFAQs to check for the possible combinations to get a Pikachu. XD

Have this preordered, big fan of the previous games. Always liked the concept of playing as the Pokémon. Probably why I also enjoyed PokéPark (2 was quite great).

Cheska

I've never actually played an entry in the series but I'm always hearing positive things about them. Interested in this one since it has Axew, who is one of my favorites from this gen.

How's Explorers of Skies by the way?

Rarutos

I've never actually played an entry in the series but I'm always hearing positive things about them. Interested in this one since it has Axew, who is one of my favorites from this gen.

I personally haven't played Skies, but since it's an updated rerelease of Explorers of Time/Darkness and I loved Time to pieces, I'd highly recommend it!

It's terrific. Being able to "catch 'em all" solo - using a "Link Cable" item to replace trades - is a great feeling, and the story is good too. My only gripe is that the game freezes up if you try to evolve a pokemon with a nickname that contains 10 letters. (Being a big fan of nicknaming, and the fact that you don't get to evolve until post-game, means if you're unaware of this fact you can waste a good chunk of time levelling pokemon to no avail.) If you can find it for a good price, go for it. I just checked amazon and they have some used copies there for 25 bucks.

Mr. RHC

So this series is still popular, played the first game back then. I think I liked Pokémon Ranger more.

Not even sure if I finished the Mystery Dungeon, do the games even have an end or are there never ending dungeons?

Keyouta

Explorers of the Sky is my favourite Pokemon spinoff ever, how does this hold up to it?

The starter selection is underwhelming imo.

Why can't they allow you to evolve befor you beat the game in these games? Never really dogged that. And no connection to the ds games? Wigglytuff was such a boss :(

Boogiepop

Played through the demo and found it kind of neat, although I'm sure at least part of that came from it being used to wash the taste of the awful Castlevania demo out of my mouth (probably never picking that one up, now). I'm actually considering grabbing this game at some point now, even though I've never paid attention to any of the previous ones. Seems pretty interesting.

I liked what I played of in the demos, especially the random dungeon parts.

I do hope that there is a text speed modifier in the main game though. That slow ass text speed.

Camjo-Z

This is the first PMD game I won't be getting unless it goes on sale for like $15. I was excited for it earlier and despite Boss Doggie telling me it was worse than the others I didn't believe him... but then I tried the demo. Holy shit, where do I begin.

Everything is way too big. Here's a screenshot of Explorers of Sky:

pokemon-mystery-dungeon-explorers-of-sky-20090602035518847_640w.jpg

Now check out this Gates to Infinity screenshot.

pokemon_mystery_dungeon_gates_to_infinity_11.jpg

I don't know about you, but I found everything was just really claustrophobic and the HUD to be overly intrusive, making the actual view of gameplay pretty tiny. And you can't tell in that screen, but when you add the overlaying map on the top screen that I often used in the previous games, the screen is just obnoxiously cluttered since for some reason you can't make the map a white outline anymore, it has to be the same annoying blue tint as the text box. So now the bottom screen has to be the map. Now, I could overlook that if the gameplay was good... but it's not.

For starters, no hunger. What were they thinking? Hunger is a crucial element of the entire Mystery Dungeon series! Considering your health recharges as you walk around the dungeon and that's your only other concern, the game is made way easier.

However, they wanted to piss off longtime PMD fans even more, so they made your basic attack worthless. In previous games if you had a type disadvantage against another Pokemon or wanted to conserve your special moves' PP, you could even the odds by using your basic "tackle" attack, which would do respectable damage to the opponent and could be used an infinite number of times. Now it does a piddling amount in comparison to your special moves, so instead of making careful use of them (which added a bit of a resource management aspect to the game) you're encouraged to use them exclusively so you can actually do damage.

And finally, the text speed. Slowpoke moves faster than it.

Just like Paper Mario: Sticker Star, it appears that Nintendo has again dumbed down a popular franchise for seemingly no reason other than to make it more approachable for casuals.

Is this game going to be the best current option for "my first roguelike?" I'm interested in trying the genre but don't want to get my ass kicked too hard the first time out. At the same time I don't want to spend the money on a game that sucks.

Kazerei

Banned
I tried the demo and was completely unimpressed. Bleh. Unless people say the full product is way better, I'm skipping this one.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Is this game going to be the best current option for "my first roguelike?" I'm interested in trying the genre but don't want to get my ass kicked too hard the first time out. At the same time I don't want to spend the money on a game that sucks.
Others may disagree, and maybe I don't have all the information...but based on what I've read in this thread, I'm not entirely sure I would consider this a roguelike anymore. It seems to have shifted into a dungeon crawler. Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky would be a better "my first roguelike", I think.

And one thing about roguelikes in general: don't sweat getting your ass kicked! It's basically endemic to the genre and often makes for great, funny stories.
Failure can and will swoop in when everything's going flawlessly. If you're the type to let it get under your skin, you might not be able to enjoy yourself.

wow at these impressions. The previous games in the series were already easy and they made it easier. Granted I play a lot of rogue games but this is crazy.

I played the absolute shit out of Blue Rescue Team back when it came out. I never got around to playing any of the others but I'm hyped for this.

Only problem is I think I might want Luigi's Mansion more... might pick up a copy of Explorers of Sky to tide me over for a while then

EDIT: Looking at the impressions in this thread... err, yeah, I think I'll wait for a dealio later on and just get Explorers of SKy for now...

Syril

However, they wanted to piss off longtime PMD fans even more, so they made your basic attack worthless. In previous games if you had a type disadvantage against another Pokemon or wanted to conserve your special moves' PP, you could even the odds by using your basic "tackle" attack, which would do respectable damage to the opponent and could be used an infinite number of times. Now it does a piddling amount in comparison to your special moves, so instead of making careful use of them (which added a bit of a resource management aspect to the game) you're encouraged to use them exclusively so you can actually do damage.

Wow, that sounds really dumb. It already had a tradeoff even when it was useful, because if you finished an enemy without using a move you got half EXP.

I think I'll just stick to Explorers of Sky for now.

I dunno. I'm mainly in the PMD games for the surprisingly good stories (seriously, Explorers of Time/ Darkness was a revelation), and if I hear that's up to par, I'm in. Never particularly enjoyed the gameplay all that much.

I dunno. I'm mainly in the PMD games for the surprisingly good stories (seriously, Explorers of Time/ Darkness was a revelation), and if I hear that's up to par, I'm in. Never particularly enjoyed the gameplay all that much.

Same here. That said, what is the consensus on the game's story?

DarkWish

What's the deal with the story in this game? I loved Explorers of Time/Darkness for the story, it was so good. I played some of the demo for the 3DS one and it seemed okay, but nothing grabbed my attention. So I'm wondering if there's an interesting story that picks up at some point or not since that's a big reason I liked the previous games.

EDIT: Seems like the above two posters agree as well. The story is what makes these games IMO.

Camjo-Z

From what I saw in the demo, the game's story is still the same jumble of overused anime tropes and cliches, so if you're in it for the plot and you liked what was in the previous games then you probably won't be disappointed.

Cheska

So are Explorers of Time/Darkness the best of them all? My local Gamestop has most of them in stock and if this really isn't as good as the others, then I would rather start with them.

DarkWish

So are Explorers of Time/Darkness the best of them all? My local Gamestop has most of them in stock and if this really isn't as good as the others, then I would rather start with them.
The DS games are fantastic... never played other Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, but the story was great IMO. If you're interested, I say go for it and get it. You should get Explorers of Sky since it's the third version of them, so it has more features and stuff.

Syril

From what I saw in the demo, the game's story is still the same jumble of overused anime tropes and cliches, so if you're in it for the plot and you liked what was in the previous games then you probably won't be disappointed.

That's the issue, it's kind of hard to tell because Explorers of Sky took a long time before the main plot even started.

bryehn

Downloaded, going to spend the afternoon with it. I forget which game in the series I played previously, but it was decent enough.

Wow, that sounds really dumb. It already had a tradeoff even when it was useful, because if you finished an enemy without using a move you got half EXP.
How did I get through most of mystery dungeon blue* without knowing this...I didn't exactly feel under-leveled either.

*-I think I got pretty near the end of the main story.

Cheska

Jeez, is anyone even getting this game? My hopes are getting discouraged by the lack of discussion in here :( I picked up the DS versions, but that Toys R Us Buy 1 get one 40% off is tempting me to pick this up afterall.

tim.mbp

Jeez, is anyone even getting this game? My hopes are getting discouraged by the lack of discussion in here :( I picked up the DS versions, but that Toys R Us Buy 1 get one 40% off is tempting me to pick this up afterall.

I want it, but bought Luigi's Mansion first. NOA could have spaced them out a little.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think many are turned off by removal of some Pokémon

Not just that.
- removal of IQs
- removal of Hunger
- removal of Monster Houses
- as mentioned before, very weak "normal" attack
- zoomed in camera
- story isn't as engaging vs. PMD2
- very limited selections

Definitely. Get the "3rd" version though (Explorers of Sky).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't like Tepig and Oshawott, you can't be my friend!

Top Bottom