• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Hinterberg | Review Thread

Roberts

Finished it. I really enjoyed the experience. At first I thought this is going to be one-dungeon-a-day game for me, but I got hooked and basically abandoned other games I was playing at the time. That said, part of me wishes it there were only around 20 dungeons or so, because the feeling of repetition finally kicked after that (and that is really a huge compliment to the rest of the game because it always finds new ways to puzzles, exploration) and while I found all the boss fights kind of fun, the water one was a bit of a disappointment. 8/10

If you are not planning on being friendly to everybody in town, at least check out what perks they give you and pick up the essentials. Some skills and upgrades make your play-through more interesting

Last edited:
Went to buy this tonight and my dumb ass either forgot or totally skipped over the fact this is not on PS5. I just gave my X to my friend.

Bubba J What GIF by Jeff Dunham

Roberts

A tip to those who are still thinking of playing it: I would totally recommend using Ravenous Hunger as one of your attack conduits. It basically destroys the shields of certain enemies right away. You don't get to use it toooo often, but it really helps when you needed.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Finished the game. I thought it was awesome and its for sure in my top 10 of the year. Its pretty shocking to see the credits and how short it is with all they accomplished.

I maxed out every friendship and that ended up taking around 62 days. I was done with the dungeons around 38 days including multiple scenic rest stops. It feels like they probably had another full area in mind but didnt have time to complete it or something. Its still plenty of content though. I ended at around 41 hours. I still am missing some dungeon coins and locked chests and I'll have the platinum. Will probably return in a few months to do that.

I was surprised how good the writing is. Its not some amazing story really, but every character had a somewhat interesting arc. The flavor text on stuff like the meditation scenic spots was usually written pretty well too despite just being short little snippets of thoughts and nature commentary.

I liked the ending and would love a sequel. The main character is honestly pretty interesting. She's not really inherently likeable; a privileged lawyer who is still unsatisfied with life and vacationing. But by the end I actually really liked her and she's an interesting hero.

My complaints list: 1) combat is pretty good but could be better. Particularly the lack of defensive options brings it down. No block, no parry or anything, just the dodge. And the enemy AI is slightly annoying at times usually spamming energy shots at you as soon as you stop running to hit someone. And the combat has that weird magnetism where hitting attack initiates an auto run to your target so it can sometimes feel unresponsive for a second. But generally it was still fun to use the powers and fight until the end. I wasnt blown away by any of the bosses but theyre all pretty good. 2) OST was a little too subdued at times. There's some good ambient tracks at times bit it could be better. 3) dungeons were mostly very impressive and extremely enjoyable but they never fully nailed a true knockout 10/10 puzzle. Still very impressed.

Landing on an 8.5/10. Loved it. Hope for a sequel. There's room to get even better in a couple areas.

Top Bottom