• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
What have the potential Repub candidates been saying on the debt ceiling debate? I know Palin spewed her usual divel, but I haven't heard anything else.

ToxicAdam

LosDaddie said:
What have the potential Repub candidates been saying on the debt ceiling debate? I know Palin spewed her usual divel, but I haven't heard anything else.

Pawlenty was against the Boehner proposal and Romney wouldn't commit.

Clevinger

LosDaddie said:

I know at least Bachmann and Pawlenty are downplaying the effects of a default. I'm sure Santorum and Gingrich are saying similarly dumb and irresponsible things, with probably only Romney being reasonable.

Evlar

Banned
LosDaddie said:
Romney backed Cut, Cap, and Balance. Bachmann has vowed not to vote for any increase in the debt ceiling.

Yeah, they downplaying the effects now. But once shit hits the fan, they will put the blame soley on Obama. That's the plan. They'll just say whatever is politically expedient at the time. They have total disregard for reality.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Evlar said:
Romney backed Cut, Cap, and Balance. Bachmann has vowed not to vote for any increase in the debt ceiling.

Can't wait for Bachmann to pull that one out in the primaries.

Also, note that Perry hasn't said anything substantial about the debt ceiling at all. He's being smart about it and may declare for president AFTER the deal is made.

besada

Banned
LosDaddie said:

Perry took some shots at the President's most recent speech, suggesting he was elitist and acting as if the American people were stupid.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
besada said:
Perry took some shots at the President's most recent speech, suggesting he was elitist and acting as if the American people were stupid.
So he took a shot at Obama for being a realist?

BotoxAgent said:
Yeah, they downplaying the effects now. But once shit hits the fan, they will put the blame soley on Obama. That's the plan. They'll just say whatever is politically expedient at the time. They have total disregard for reality.

The reality is the American people are stupid, short-sighted, and will blame whoever is in office at the time of their woes regardless of fault. So the Republican are living in reality. Their main objective is to make Obama a 1-term president, McConnell says it himself.

empty vessel said:
Most reasonable people do not see a need to cut spending, and in fact agree that it is terrible policy right now. Enjoy.

http://www.google.com/search?UTF-8&...oq=cutting+spending+terrible+policy+recession
I go back and forth on just how terrible austerity measures are, but yeah, it's kinda bonkers that the kind of 'balanced' agreement the White House would go down on its knees for would still be further to the right than the kind of policies even centre-right European parties have dared to foist on their electorates during this recession.

America is listing so hard to the right it can't even recognize the middle, let alone what a left wing solution would look like.

Measley

slit said:
Uh-oh, spaghettios - stocks plunge

This isn't a catastrophe yet or even unexpected, but, this could be the beginning of shit meeting fan.

Isn't this the third straight day of stock market decline?

Shake Appeal said:
I go back and forth on just how terrible austerity measures are, but yeah, it's kinda bonkers that the kind of 'balanced' agreement the White House would go down on its knees for would still be further to the right than the kind of policies even centre-right European parties have dared to foist on their electorates during this recession.

America is listing so hard to the right it can't even recognize the middle, let alone what a left wing solution would look like.

Calling someone a "liberal" is now considered an insult in many political circles. That's how hard right this country has swung.

GhaleonEB

slit said:
Uh-oh, spaghettios - stocks plunge

This isn't a catastrophe yet or even unexpected, but, this could be the beginning of shit meeting fan.
Don't read too much into that. We also had a lot of crappy economic data today, which would have pushed stocks down a lot on a good day.

The debt ceiling fiasco is not helping, and I do think it's affecting the market (and a lot more than just the stock market). But there's a tendancy to look to the stock market and correlate it to specific events when it's often responding to a mix of data.

Plumbob

Clevinger said:
I held up a guy at gunpoint and demanded all his money. But as a compromise - nay, a sacrifice on my part - I didn't kill him.

Boo hoo, taxes aren't violent crime. If you want to live in a tax-free jurisdiction, there are plenty of failed states out there who would be glad to have you. Perhaps then you might be compelled to revise your analogies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
fastford58 said:
I'll believe it when i see it. Stocks slide around like this frequently. I wouldn't call it a plunge yet.

Dude it's down 3% in 3 days. It's headed for the worse week in one full year and the worse has yet to come. It's terrible already.

I don't like where this is going. :/

Cyan

Banned
fastford58 said:
I'll believe it when i see it. Stocks slide around like this frequently. I wouldn't call it a plunge yet.
Give it another day or two. If there's no deal by Friday, shit's gonna get ugly.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I wonder if Slipperyslope understands that not killing a hostage doesn't count as a compromise.

edit: ah, fuck. Clevinger already beat me to it.

besada

Banned
Because I can't be bothered to address the mess that is the debt ceiling, instead I'll tell you all about my trip to the proctologist this morning.

For some reason, the nurse thought I wanted to discuss politics, rather than have my backside investigated for cancer. And she began to discuss the PPACA. Suffice to say, it was immediately clear the only thing she knew about it was what she'd heard from a slightly smarter friend, who only knew a handful of faux facts from Fox. In particular, she was enraged that it allowed the IRS to look at all your medical records. Of course, it doesn't actually do that, but it didn't seem like a great time to get into a political argument, considering shortly someone was going to have their hands up my ass.

I bit my tongue and kept my mouth shut. And then she said, "I can't believe they haven't taken him out yet."

I said, "taken out? who?" (because I don't use punctuation while speaking.)

She said, "You know. But I guess his security is pretty good."

And I suddenly realized she was surprised that no one had assassinated the President. And that she was a little disappointed. I genuinely didn't know what to say, which is a rare phenomenon, as you might have noticed. So I said nothing. And then she launched into a tirade about the medical record IT requirements, before handing me a sheaf of papers that looked like a Bible and asking me to fill in my name and social security number on approximately 6,432 different pages.

Is it too late to move to Singapore?

Edit: Oh, and even though my father died of colon cancer, my insurance won't pay for most of the colonoscopy, because I'm not fifty yet. Which was pretty close to the time my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer, which eventually cost the insurance companies thousands and thousands of dollars, including multiple rounds of chemo, surgery, and in-home care for an extended period. I've decided to hide my colon from the medicos until it's positively slopping over with cancer, just to screw them. Ha!

besada said:
Because I can't be bothered to address the mess that is the debt ceiling, instead I'll tell you all about my trip to the proctologist this morning.

For some reason, the nurse thought I wanted to discuss politics, rather than have my backside investigated for cancer. And she began to discuss the PPACA. Suffice to say, it was immediately clear the only thing she knew about it was what she'd heard from a slightly smarter friend, who only knew a handful of faux facts from Fox. In particular, she was enraged that it allowed the IRS to look at all your medical records. Of course, it doesn't actually do that, but it didn't seem like a great time to get into a political argument, considering shortly someone was going to have their hands up my ass.

I bit my tongue and kept my mouth shut. And then she said, "I can't believe they haven't taken him out yet."

And I suddenly realized she was surprised that no one had assassinated the President. And that she was a little disappointed. I genuinely didn't know what to say, which is a rare phenomenon, as you might have noticed. So I said nothing. And then she launched into a tirade about the medical record IT requirements, before handing me a sheaf of papers that looked like a Bible and asking me to fill in my name and social security number on approximately 6,432 different pages.

I don't even know what to say.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Obama Faring Better Among Dem Voters Than Every Democratic President Since Truman: Gallup

r-OBAMADEMS-large570.jpg

WASHINGTON -- The debt ceiling debate has provided yet another opportunity for Democratic base voters to lament the political choices of the president they helped elect. A Washington Post-ABC poll released this week found that the number of liberal Democrats who strongly supported President Obama's record on jobs had fallen an astonishing 22 percentage points over the course of a year, from 53 percent to 31 percent. The prioritization of spending cuts over job creation -- not rhetorically, but in terms of governance -- was likely the primary contributor.

But as in similar moments in the past, such as the loss of the public option in the health care debate, the failure to end Bush-era tax cuts on high-earning Americans, and last spring's government shutdown showdown, voters' disappointments in policy choices are not translating to serious problems for Obama's reelection campaign.

President Obama currently enjoys a higher popularity among Democratic voters than every Democratic president dating back to Harry Truman had at similar junctures in their presidencies.

According to Gallup's presidential job approval data, Obama had a 78 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 18 to July 24, 2011
. Bill Clinton, meanwhile, had a 77 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 20 to July 23, 1995. Before him, Jimmy Carter had a 37 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 13 to July 16, 1979. Before him, Lyndon Johnson had a 63 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 13 to July 18, 1967. Before him, John F. Kennedy had a 77 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 18 to July 23, 1963. And before him, Harry Truman had a 76 percent approval rating percent among Democrats from July 4 to July 9, 1947.

Obama's approval ratings compared to former presidents at the same time: July 18-24 (Democrats only)
r-OBAMA-APPROVAL-RATING-GRAPH-large570.jpg

The numbers don't tell the full story. Only two of those presidents, Truman and Clinton, would go on to win reelection. In Carter's case, moreover, that 37 percent approval rating among Democrats represented a near-nadir -- it would be back up to 67 percent by the turn of 1980.

But for the Obama re-election campaign, the side-by-side comparison is an advantageous one. For starters, there is time for the president to improve on his 78 percent. More importantly, his popularity among Democrats has remained consistent even after he threw the party's sacred cows -- Social Security and Medicare -- into the deficit hysteria mix.

##################

For all the hysteria about Obama losing his base or his base being pissed at him, in comparison to other DEM presidents he looks very strong. The economic numbers show that he should be doing worse. Is it the crazy tea party that's keeping his numbers afloat?

besada

Banned
ronito said:
what I'm shocked about is that you didn't say "You're too stupid to work on my ass. Get me someone else."

If she'd shown up in the back, I likely would have. Fortunately, a wrinkled, jolly little Indian man did that part.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
ronito said:
what I'm shocked about is that you didn't say "You're too stupid to work on my ass. Get me someone else."

hhahaahhaa that would have been perfect. besada, you are quite a patient man. i would have raised hell to hear that directed at me like i was down with the crazy crowd.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
mckmas8808 said:
Obama Faring Better Among Dem Voters Than Every Democratic President Since Truman: Gallup

r-OBAMADEMS-large570.jpg

WASHINGTON -- The debt ceiling debate has provided yet another opportunity for Democratic base voters to lament the political choices of the president they helped elect. A Washington Post-ABC poll released this week found that the number of liberal Democrats who strongly supported President Obama's record on jobs had fallen an astonishing 22 percentage points over the course of a year, from 53 percent to 31 percent. The prioritization of spending cuts over job creation -- not rhetorically, but in terms of governance -- was likely the primary contributor.

But as in similar moments in the past, such as the loss of the public option in the health care debate, the failure to end Bush-era tax cuts on high-earning Americans, and last spring's government shutdown showdown, voters' disappointments in policy choices are not translating to serious problems for Obama's reelection campaign.

President Obama currently enjoys a higher popularity among Democratic voters than every Democratic president dating back to Harry Truman had at similar junctures in their presidencies.

According to Gallup's presidential job approval data, Obama had a 78 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 18 to July 24, 2011
. Bill Clinton, meanwhile, had a 77 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 20 to July 23, 1995. Before him, Jimmy Carter had a 37 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 13 to July 16, 1979. Before him, Lyndon Johnson had a 63 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 13 to July 18, 1967. Before him, John F. Kennedy had a 77 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 18 to July 23, 1963. And before him, Harry Truman had a 76 percent approval rating percent among Democrats from July 4 to July 9, 1947.

Obama's approval ratings compared to former presidents at the same time: July 18-24 (Democrats only)
r-OBAMA-APPROVAL-RATING-GRAPH-large570.jpg

The numbers don't tell the full story. Only two of those presidents, Truman and Clinton, would go on to win reelection. In Carter's case, moreover, that 37 percent approval rating among Democrats represented a near-nadir -- it would be back up to 67 percent by the turn of 1980.

But for the Obama re-election campaign, the side-by-side comparison is an advantageous one. For starters, there is time for the president to improve on his 78 percent. More importantly, his popularity among Democrats has remained consistent even after he threw the party's sacred cows -- Social Security and Medicare -- into the deficit hysteria mix.

##################

For all the hysteria about Obama losing his base or his base being pissed at him, in comparison to other DEM presidents he looks very strong. The economic numbers show that he should be doing worse. Is it the crazy tea party that's keeping his numbers afloat?

shame that didn't translate into votes during the midterms

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Should have told her to get her fingers well in there and then take a good whiff of the shit she's spewing.

Jonm1010

Banned
besada said:

Edit: Oh, and even though my father died of colon cancer, my insurance won't pay for most of the colonoscopy, because I'm not fifty yet. Which was pretty close to the time my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer, which eventually cost the insurance companies thousands and thousands of dollars, including multiple rounds of chemo, surgery, and in-home care for an extended period. I've decided to hide my colon from the medicos until it's positively slopping over with cancer, just to screw them. Ha!

I can't tell you how many times I used to hear people at my old work(used to bartend a while back) casually throw out how they wanted someone to "off" Obama.

That and blatantly racist comments about him. I must have heard the stupid "Did you hear that the Obama's are planning to dig up the White House Garden so they can put a watermelon patch in?" joke twenty times.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
mckmas8808 said:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/316414/thumbs/r-OBAMADEMS-large570.jpg[IMG]

[indent]
WASHINGTON -- [B]The debt ceiling debate has provided yet another opportunity for Democratic base voters to lament the political choices of the president they helped elect[/B]. A Washington Post-ABC poll released this week found that the number of liberal Democrats who strongly supported President Obama's record on jobs had fallen an astonishing 22 percentage points over the course of a year, from 53 percent to 31 percent. The prioritization of spending cuts over job creation -- not rhetorically, but in terms of governance -- was likely the primary contributor.

[B]President Obama currently enjoys a higher popularity among Democratic voters than every Democratic president dating back to Harry Truman had at similar junctures in their presidencies.

According to Gallup's presidential job approval data, Obama had a 78 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 18 to July 24, 2011[/B]. Bill Clinton, meanwhile, had a 77 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 20 to July 23, 1995. Before him, Jimmy Carter had a 37 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 13 to July 16, 1979. Before him, Lyndon Johnson had a 63 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 13 to July 18, 1967. Before him, John F. Kennedy had a 77 percent approval rating among Democrats from July 18 to July 23, 1963. And before him, Harry Truman had a 76 percent approval rating percent among Democrats from July 4 to July 9, 1947.

[IMG]http://i.huffpost.com/gen/316274/thumbs/r-OBAMA-APPROVAL-RATING-GRAPH-large570.jpg[IMG]

[B]The numbers don't tell the full story. Only two of those presidents, Truman and Clinton, would go on to win reelection[/B]. In Carter's case, moreover, that 37 percent approval rating among Democrats represented a near-nadir -- it would be back up to 67 percent by the turn of 1980.

[/indent]

##################

For all the hysteria about Obama losing his base or his base being pissed at him, in comparison to other DEM presidents he looks very strong. The economic numbers show that he should be doing worse. Is it the crazy tea party that's keeping his numbers afloat?[/QUOTE]

But but but PEW Research said the [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GF5auFBJKw&feature=channel_video_title"]opposite[/URL]!

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood the article.

besada

Banned
bob_arctor said:
hhahaahhaa that would have been perfect. besada, you are quite a patient man. i would have raised hell to hear that directed at me like i was down with the crazy crowd.

Well, I live in Texas. It's not exactly uncommon.

Also, I feared for my rosebud.

besada

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
Holy shit, besada. I live in SC, and I've NEVER heard something as crazy as that.

I've heard worse, but not from anyone I was actually conversing with. Well, not anyone who wasn't kin. But that was about Clinton, not Obama.

besada said:

Ugh. That's reprehensible. Now I genuinely fear for the man's life if he ever visits Texas.

Averon

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/27/transportation-infrastructure-cost_n_911207.html?1311795208

Deteriorating Transportation Infrastructure Could Cost America $3.1 Trillion

New tires add up. That's the finding of a report issued Wednesday by the American Society for Civil Engineers, which tallies up the cost of our decaying surface transportation infrastructure, from potholes to rusting bridges to buses that never come.

The engineers found that overall, the cost of failing to invest more in the nation's roads and bridges would total $3.1 trillion in lost GDP growth by 2020. For workers, the toll of investing only at current levels would be equally daunting: 877,000 jobs would also be lost. Already, the report found, deficient and deteriorating surface transportation cost us $130 billion in 2010.

By and large those costs would not come from the more dramatic failings of America's transportation system -- like the collapse of the I-35W Bridge in Minnesota -- but more mundane or even invisible problems. The minivan that hits a pothole chips away at a family's income. The clogged highway that drains away an extra half hour of a trucker's day also drives up the cost of shipping for businesses.

Congestion, the report found, is of particular cause for concern. Already, 40 percent of urban interstates have capacity deficiencies. Currently, that costs us $27 billion a year in lost time and other inefficiencies wasted on the roads. By 2020, that number could grow tenfold, reaching $276 billion a year.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
It's really terrible that in afew days things might get really bad, but I must say this debt debacle is fascinating to watch. I really have no idea how this is going to turn out. Shame on Obama for letting the GOP dictate the terms of the debate. Shame on Boehner for letting the tea party spiral out of control. The same people that got the GOP control of the house might bring them down along with the rest of the country. I'ts fucking crazy!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Boehner must really be having a problem getting the required votes to not bring it up for vote today.

You do have the choice of finding something that democrats will vote on too Boehner.

Suikoguy said:
Boehner must really be having a problem getting the required votes to not bring it up for vote today.

You do have the choice of finding something that democrats will vote on too Boehner.
He's reworked it. Vote expected tomorrow and word is that it will pass easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom