• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cygnus X-1

besada said:
I'm not terrified to be an American. Frankly, I think that's sort of an idiotic sentiment. We're not being attacked on our soil. The unemployment rate is actually lower than in was in the early 80's. (And nowhere near as bad as some of our European counterparts have had it.) The government isn't -- so far as I know -- selling arms to our avowed enemies. The President isn't using the FBI as his personal bugging army. We have two wars going, but they're both clearly winding down.

Does the current composition of the government suck giant donkey balls? Yes, it does. Is that a fixable issue? Yes, it is. Do we have systemic and structural problems with the government? Yes. Are any of them particularly new? Not really. We voted in a bunch of idiots, just like we've done a dozen times before. And they did what idiots always do, which is attempt to push government into a new, bad direction so fast that it's in the process of running over them.

I know some of the people in here are young, and I know your first big political crisis always seems like the worst thing ever, but you need to get some perspective. Most of you were raised in the best economic times of the last sixty years. But that's no more normal then the 70's are the norm. The country fluctuates, both because of bad decisions made by voters and politicians, and because shit happens. We're still shaking off the psychological and financial damage of 9/11 and we probably will be for a few more years.

This is no more a permanent state than the giddy 90’s were. It's a classic mistake, and one we make over and over again -- this belief that there's such a thing as stability. There isn't. The world is chaotic, and we attempt to adapt. Sometimes we make good calls, sometimes we make shitty calls. If you want to improve that, go do something about it other than freak out, because freaking out helps no one. It makes you bitter, angry, and utterly ineffectual.

If people spent half the time doing things that they spend bitching about things on the Internet, the world could be a much nicer place. But it's esier to bitch and whine and act as if we share no culpability for the mess we're in, and to pump up the drama to give ourselves a feeling of importance. It's vanity. This time is no more apocalyptic than any other time has been. The idea that we're somehow in worse shape than, say, the Great Depression, is just a stunning admission of ignorance about what people have gone through before us.

I can pretty much guarantee that all of us are sitting in reasonably comfortable homes, next to boxes that allow us to talk to anyone in the world, nearly instantaneously. I'd bet that not a one of us is close to starving. No one here has probably ever had secret police kick in their doors and take their loved ones away. Painting ourselves as living at the end of civilization, as a few people here do, is the ultimate white whine. Get a grip and get some perspective.

Nice post.

The age of austerity beckons for the US too then..

As a UKer, its unbelievable to me that the mega rich and corporations won't be sharing any of the burden. Some of these companies have got to step up and invest in people, and step in where the government is stepping out - otherwise this is a major own goal by personalities and parties on both sides. There's got to be some pain in dealing with defecits of this scale, but shouldering it on the middle classes and expecting the private sector to voluntarily mitigate the subsequent effect on the economy... just strikes me as a bit naive and dangerous. It'll probably work long term, but without direct tax revenues helping that defecit reduction, it could be an uncomfortable few years - especially for anyone who feels they're already struggling. To me, accelerated withdrawal from Iraq, Afghanistan and involvement in Libya sounds essential for you guys now. If for some reason, you guys think there is someone more electable than Obama next year, I've got to think this will affect the next presidents' first term profoundly as well... and not in a good way.

Measley

Some conservative bloggers are saying this deal is terrible, and that the house should reject the bill.

So much for pleasing the crazies.

eznark

Banned
Measley said:
Some conservative bloggers are saying this deal is terrible, and that the house should reject the bill.

No one thought this would please the crazies on either side.

eznark

Banned
ReBurn said:
It's a shame that the crazies are the only ones we ever hear from.

What do you expect when we are living in the worst period of all time ever?

So it doesn't please you?

Looks like a predictable bullshit pretend compromise aimed at pissing off as few actual voters as possible. I predict that 75-80% of the "cuts" outlined in this thing never come to fruition. There is nothing holding future congresses to this thing.

The worst part about this is that politics is going to be boring as hell for the foreseeable future. The last month has been fantastically entertaining.

eznark said:
The worst part about this is that politics is going to be boring as hell for the foreseeable future. The last month has been fantastically entertaining.
The gas tax needs to be extended soon.

It won't be as serious as this, but it'll probably be a decent show.

Esch

Banned
eznark said:
in much the same way that peeling off a scab is.

Has anyone made a list of times Obama has been fucked over? Damn. And just a few months ago, I figured his victory next year was all but assured. Now, I'm almost at PD levels of cyncism.

eznark said:
You know as well as I do that, as far as entertainment is concerned, the next few weeks are going to be gold in Wisconsin. No matter what there will be bitter tears!

eznark said:

I really don't find it that entertaining these days. I did years ago, when I cared which side won, but now it's like watching a soap opera. It's the same old storylines rehashed over and over again, and I saw the ending coming a month ago.

eznark said:

Obama and Boehner are stiffs. So not entertaining.

eznark

Banned
Blergmeister said:
You know as well as I do that, as far as entertainment is concerned, the next few weeks are going to be gold in Wisconsin. No matter what there will be bitter tears!

Very true! It's going to be fantastic. I think the best thing (for my lulzorz) will be if the Dems win enough seats to take over the senate, then get routed next November as a result of redistricting.

Obama and Boehner are stiffs. So not entertaining.

Fuck those guys, it's the reactions! Read through the last three pages of this thread. Pure golden awesome.

I'll be voting next year, but that's all the support I'll be giving Obama. I'm baffled that someone who inspired so many people could be such a disappointment, and piss away the potential/opportunities he once had. Carville was ultimately right: he's simply not tough enough to be president.

Don't be naive. Fucking EVERY presidential candidate promises big changes that they can't keep. This should be a good learning experience for you so you don't get your hopes up on future candidates.

So...the Libyan opposition leader has been assassinated? Really?!

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/af...129941725.html

Matter of days indeed

Meanwhile, over 130 are killed in Syria in just a day. Why we're in Libya I have no idea. Fuck Obama for such stupid ass decisions.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Measley said:

Is it wrong for me to hope that the Tea-tards in the House reject the debt ceiling bill so that Obama can invoke the 14th amendment?

eznark said:
So...the Libyan opposition leader has been assassinated? Really?!

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/07/2011728202129941725.html

Matter of days indeed
Perhaps Obama's biggest unforced error with respect to public policy.

I left PoliGaf (and politics generally) for Evo weekend and boy did I come back to a turd sandwich.
richiek said:
Is it wrong for me to hope that the Tea-tards in the House reject the debt ceiling bill so that Obama can invoke the 14th amendment?
Wrong? No. But counterproductive. Going the 14th amendment route would yeid a Pyhrric victory at best. What would be more productive to hope for would be a restoration of the Gephardt rule, or the elimination of the debt ceiling entirely.

eznark

Banned
Invisible_Insane said:
Perhaps Obama's biggest unforced error with respect to public policy.

I left PoliGaf (and politics generally) for Evo weekend and boy did I come back to a turd sandwich.

That would be a Satan Sandwich.

Measley

richiek said:

obama-NOPE.gif

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Don't be naive. Fucking EVERY presidential candidate promises big changes that they can't keep. This should be a good learning experience for you so you don't get your hopes up on future candidates.

Not really...

Obama has smaller balls than Jimmy Carter.

He's not very presidential at all.

mr. puppy

Banned
is there a good article explaining where the 2.4 billion is coming from?

it looks like half is medicare and half is defense spending, but I can't find numbers.

Measley

Looks like both bases are angry about the deal;

With debt deal reached, can Congress swallow its own bitter medicine?

If the definition of a compromise is something that most folks don't like, then the $2.4 trillion debt-ceiling deal worked out over the weekend by President Barack Obama and GOP leaders in Congress is a resounding success.

As details of the framework began to leak early Sunday, the far wings of each party quickly rejected the compromise as capitulation. Democrats angrily noted that the plan was all spending cuts and no revenue increases. MoveOn.org, the liberal advocacy group, panned the deal and called on Congress to "pass a clean debt ceiling bill that doesn't force the middle class and the poor to bear the brunt of this crisis."

Conservatives, meanwhile, worried that the deal left open the door to revenue increases and could lead to steep defense cuts. "Republican Leaders are asking their members to accept tax increases or massive defense cuts and senior anger right before the election," blogged Erick Erickson, editor of the conservative website RedState.com

http://news.yahoo.com/debt-deal-reached-congress-swallow-own-bitter-medicine-092705234.html

Evlar

Banned
Bloomberg said:
U.S. manufacturing expanded in July at the slowest pace in two years, indicating the industry that’s been driving the economic expansion is starting to weaken.

The Institute for Supply Management’s factory index fell to 50.9 last month from 55.3 in June, the Tempe, Arizona-based group said today. Economists projected the index would drop to 54.5, according to the median forecast in a Bloomberg News survey. Figures greater than 50 signal expansion.

Manufacturers are facing stagnant consumer spending, raising the risk that production will be tempered further even as parts shortages from Japan’s earthquake dissipate and commodity costs ease. Orders placed with factories shrank for the first time since June 2009 and backlogs eased for a third month, pointing for a further slowdown in production.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ing-index-fell-to-50-9-in-july-from-55-3.html

We're teetering on the edge of recession... I'm so fucking glad all of Washington is debating how much we need to slash spending.

Measley said:
It doesn't help that the GOP has purposely blocked, stalled, or sabotaged almost every job bill that has entered the congress.
And it's also too bad that the media when they report this, they won't say anything bad about the GOP.

"Liberal" media my ass

Loudninja

The Four Big Problems With — And Four Silver Linings Around — The Debt Limit Deal
Backloaded

Most economists would agree, now is a bad time to cut government spending. We're already seeing the contractionary effects of the end of the stimulus, and this just reinforces those. The good news is that the near term cuts are quite small. Only about two percent of the nearly $3 trillion in savings outlined in this plan occur in the first year, and they don't all come from social programs. They also come from defense spending and other domestic programs. So its near-term impact on the economy will be pretty small. Of course, if the economy doesn't recover soon, the out year cuts will turn out to be very painful.

What it doesn't do

Literally nothing about this plan will do anything to slow the growth of health care costs -- the true driver of the country's structural deficit. A future deficit plan, that includes entitlement and tax reforms, might do that, but there's really no guarantees. In the end, this plan guarantees that most of the savings come from programs that don't really need, and can't easily afford, to be cut. It doesn't change the nature of government, as conservatives might want, and it doesn't take the "deficit" issue off the table, as battle-weary liberals might want. In that way, it's just sort of mean. It also contains zero guarantees that we'll see any fresh sources of federal revenues. The down payment on deficit reduction comes entirely from discretionary cuts, defense and non-defense. The committee process it sets up doesn't forbid tax increases, but Republicans will fight them vigorously. And if that fight turns into gridlock, and enforcement mechanism kicks in, it'll all be cuts. By the time everything this bill calls for takes effect, Treasury could still be taking in historically low levels of revenues.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...inings-around-the-debt-limit-deal.php?ref=fpa

Evlar

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
Business is afraid to grow during these uncertain times, if we had certainty over our * insert propaganda here *, there would be job growth.
Oh yes, if we just get some austerity up in this bitch those manufacturing orders will just start rolling in. I can feel it in my bones.

Loudninja

Romney Breaks Debt Ceiling Silence: ‘Cannot Support This Deal’
"As president, my plan would have produced a budget that was cut, capped and balanced - not one that opens the door to higher taxes and puts defense cuts on the table," he said in a statement. "President Obama's leadership failure has pushed the economy to the brink at the eleventh hour and 59th minute. While I appreciate the extraordinarily difficult situation President Obama's lack of leadership has placed Republican Members of Congress in, I personally cannot support this deal."
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...-silence-cannot-support-this-deal.php?ref=fpb
haha shocking!

TacticalFox88 said:
Has anyone made a list of times Obama has been fucked over? Damn. And just a few months ago, I figured his victory next year was all but assured. Now, I'm almost at PD levels of cyncism.

has anyone told you who controls the congress and of those who control the congress who are the loudest? has anyone told you what the democratic senators and congressman did when Obama wanted a full health care reform?

Chichikov

Loudninja said:
Romney Breaks Debt Ceiling Silence: ‘Cannot Support This Deal’

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...-silence-cannot-support-this-deal.php?ref=fpb
haha shocking!
It's important for Republicans to go on the record against the deal, so they're covered when austerity fucks the recovery.

If I'm wrong and the confidence fairy save the economy Obama wins anyway.

Sirpopopop said:
Obama has smaller balls than Jimmy Carter.
In what way do you feel that Carter lacked balls?

GhaleonEB

While I appreciate the extraordinarily difficult situation President Obama's lack of leadership has placed Republican Members of Congress in
Amazing troll. Those poor Republican members of Congress! :lol

teruterubozu said:
The bigger question is who ISN'T going to vote in the next election after the Hope/Change hype.

that is what Republicans HOPE. they want the ones disappointed in Obama to not vote at all, and get Romney/Pawlentry/Bachhman into the whitehouse.

That will be so much fun to watch on GAF

eznark

Banned
Chichikov said:
It's important for Republicans to go on the record against the deal, so they're covered when austerity fucks the recovery.

Roughly zero of the cuts affect 2011/2012. But don't take my word for it:

fivethirtyeight: The deal contains very few cuts to FY2012 spending. story that it will kill the recovery is oversold.

besada

Banned
Invisible_Insane said:
"leadership." Why does everyone want Obama to do Congress' job?

Because Congress won't do it. Traditionally, when Congress gets like this, people look to the President to break the gridlock. In this case, they're looking in the wrong direction. For all his positive qualities, Obama is not exactly a great leader of men.

eznark said:

C'mon man, this is just clearing the stage so we can get back to the silly season. The debt ceiling has nearly driven the Republican primaries off the stage. Once we're past it, the clown train will come back in force, and there's going to be some great crazy on display.

Evlar

Banned
Well, here I thought we had yet to pass a budget for 2012, or even start the debate on passing the budget. Whew! Glad to know the kamikaze faction of the House Repubican caucus isn't going to push for more cuts in September.

teruterubozu said:
The bigger question is who ISN'T going to vote in the next election after the Hope/Change hype.

I'll admit it. I got sucked into the Obama hype machine. While I didn't vote due to my complete loss of faith in politicians, ironically enough, I thought he just might be different and was happy he won the election.

2.5 years later and I have officially lost that remaining faith I clung to with him. My general feeling now is that we're absolutely fucked, and I generally laugh at people who continue to place faith in politicians. We will be another Greece in about 10-15 years.

I hope I'm wrong. :(

eznark said:
Roughly zero of the cuts affect 2011/2012. But don't take my word for it:

fivethirtyeight: The deal contains very few cuts to FY2012 spending. story that it will kill the recovery is oversold.

For the most part all the deals were arranged in a similar way. So no one should really be fretting too much over that, but no one should reasonably expect to help either. Also, this circus shows that there is no way anything that would be helpful can pass through Congress.

BruiserBear said:
I hope I'm wrong. :(

Probably wouldn't be the first time.
on this very page

eznark

Banned
besada said:
C'mon man, this is just clearing the stage so we can get back to the silly season. The debt ceiling has nearly driven the Republican primaries off the stage. Once we're past it, the clown train will come back in force, and there's going to be some great crazy on display.

There is no one genuinely interesting on the GOP side though. Bill Kristol was pushing for a Ryan/Rubio ticket yesterday, which would make things awesomely interesting and hateful, but right now it just looks like all the politics will be surface level and boring. Obama is a socialist, Bachman's husband is gay, Romney is a flip-flopper, John Hunts..who?

lame-o

Are theere any really good senate seats up for grabs?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
eznark said:
You are part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom