• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanod

when is my burrito
Political reforms needed that could fix our system:

1) All elections to take place on a Saturday. If not Saturday, any federal-related election will be designated a holiday.

2) Number of constituents per representative needs to be set back to whatever it was before they capped it at 435. That would make representatives more accountable to their constituents because there would be fewer, make it easier for you to access your congressperson. Make it cheaper for them to run for Congress. Make it harder for a two party system to exist because there will be significantly more representatives than we have now. Decrease the influence of special interests because it will increase their cost of lobbying numerous Congressional officials. In our age, a two party system is inherently bad because by definition, they are diametrically opposed when 90%+ of America's unresolved problems are gray issues, not black and white issues.

3) DC gets statehood and full rights thereof. It is blatantly unfair that DC is half-represented by the Republican congresspeople when the population is overwhelmingly Democratic.

4) 50-vote majority in the Senate should always pass a law. Cloture votes/fillibuster abolished.

5) Districting needs to be done by commissions independent of party affiliation like some states already use. Not state governments.

6) Entitlement accountability act: Federal unemployment and Medicare and Social Security program revenue and expenditures will be analyzed by actuaries on an annual basis and payroll tax rates will be set only so high that it will fund anticipated benefits with enough wiggle room to cover shortfalls. Income cap on SS eliminated. Early retirement age = 60. Full retirement age = 65. Retirement age never changes. This also gets rid of the Congress's slush fund of using extra SS money for other spending like they do now. Business and individual split is 50/50 for all three entitlements. Guarantees future solvency.

Last minute addition: 7) Abolish direct election of senators.

Chichikov

The Blue Jihad said:
Had to share. Just a random aside. Not intending to derail the current discussion, but I figure PoliGAF might appreciate this.

So a friend posted some partisan schlock (I think it was partisan schlock) basically asking how is Obama's spending okay but Bush's isn't, if spending is good.

I explained good spending vs bad spending, how foreign nation-building is a terrible idea if we aren't focused on domestic nation-building. How Obama's spending is overall good because it's primarily focused on infrastructure, clean energy, fuel efficiency, etc. And how Bush's spending was horrible because it started with ludicrous tax cuts, launched into two costly 8-year wars (one war of which could have been completely avoided), funded ridiculous ideas like NCLB, etc.

She took that as partisan Bush-bashing. lol

...and she's a voter.

Oof.

Just had to share.
This is why I think it's a mistake to engage in such conversations on the numbers alone.
"Spending is bad" makes as much sense as "paying is bad".

Also, Obama spending, much like Bush's, is mostly focused on tax cuts.

Edit: just to clarify, when I say it mostly focused on tax cuts I of course include the extension of the Bush tax cuts.

eznark

Banned
In states where a commission does the redistricting, how does that work? I mean, they still have to be voted on and signed by the governor right? Also, who appoints the commission?

HylianTom

Banned
gcubed said:
I'm also fine with filibusters if its so that a threat of filibuster doesnt kill things. Bring back the old filibuster rules where you need to actively filibuster it.

Dingdingdingdingdingding...!

A-friggin'-men.

tanod

when is my burrito
eznark said:
In states where a commission does the redistricting, how does that work? I mean, they still have to be voted on and signed by the governor right? Also, who appoints the commission?

I live in Iowa. Iowa has a pretty awesome redistricting system. Everybody should use ours.

Read more: http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/g...a19-11e0-93d1-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1UUT2unTV

"Iowa law sets strict standards for drawing districts that leave little opportunity to gerrymander districts to give any political party or candidate an advantage. Districts must be based on population equality, contiguity - that is, convenient contiguous territory, unity of counties and cities, and compactness."

In New York we just kick one person from each party out.
Wiener gets to be the Democrats and I think some upstate GOP rep nobody has heard of is also out.

At least that's what I heard.

ToxicAdam

I don't know what to make of this, but it's an interesting tale.

In late July, a mystery investor or hedge fund made a nearly $1 Billion bet that the US would lose their AAA credit rating, and on August 5th when S&P issued its downrade to AA+, that investor now stands to make a return of 1000%, and leads to serious questions of who the mystery trader is, and did they have insider information well before hand.

markatisu

eznark said:
Below 50% against generic Republican with over a year of recession in front of him?

Ya, he is a total lock.

At the same time generic Republican is more electable then Perry or Bachmann lol

The Republicans are going to screw themselves because of their primary system, even if they had a moderate candidate that independents were in love with they are going to fuck themselves to survive the GOP field in the 1st place

tanod

when is my burrito
moop2000 said:
I'm interested to see how people respond to this...

The founding fathers had a pretty good reason for it. Senators were supposed to be somewhat insulated from electoral politics unlike the House which is supposed to be directly beholden to it.

HylianTom said:
Dingdingdingdingdingding...!

A-friggin'-men.

Here's the thing, though. To bring back filibusters to a state in which people have to actually filibuster, you have to have the discipline to only vote for candidates who will pledge to support that rule. That means you have to be a part of some organization that has that as a plank, because there has to be some organized pressure. It also, in most circumstances, means you can't vote for either of the two-party nominees (neither of whom will make such a pledge). This is what makes political change so difficult. You have to abandon lesser-evilism and get serious about principles.

tanod

when is my burrito
balladofwindfishes said:
If I'm reading that right, he walks away with a trillion dollars?

A person with that much wealth is certainly not going to remain anonymous for long

Maybe article was stealth corrected. Further down it says 10 to 1.

Wall

Ether_Snake said:
It has become taboo, internationally, to propose that the government can fix the economy, unless it does so at the guidance of the IMF.

Basically don't expect the US to do what it doesn't want so many other countries to not do.

The Republicans (obviously) and the Democrats will do everything they can to not spend a dime in actually fixing the economy. It is forbidden to do so.

The worst is Obama was the best candidate to do exactly what needed to be done to fix the economy. He had the support. But he is a liar and a puppet.

Someone bring back FDR to life.

Hopefully reality smacking people in the face for 5 to 10 years will change some minds.

Also, the last IMF President was a Keynsian. If he didn't have an issue with a hotel maid, he would still be the IMF president. Not sure about the current IMF president.

In other news, President Obama came out against further cuts to the defense department and discrtionary spending today, and instead proposd revenue increases and "adjustments" to medicare.

I am interested to see what those "adjustments" are.

At least it sounded like he was getting ready to move on from the deficit though.

Measley

Kind of funny seeing conservatives trying to pin the downgrade on Obama. Especially when the tea party folks actually said they WANTED a default for several weeks.

ToxicAdam

Measley said:
Kind of funny seeing conservatives trying to pin the downgrade on Obama. Especially when the tea party folks actually said they WANTED a default for several weeks.

Not all conservatives are tea party members. The downgrade happened for other reasons besides the debt ceiling debate.

Clevinger

Aaron Strife said:
in fact, if Perry gets the nomination, Obama will win Texas.

I can't imagine a big Republican voting block will stay home or vote Obama on election day just because they (say they) hate Perry. C'mon, this is Barry Hussein Obama we're talking about here.

Chichikov

ToxicAdam said:
Not all conservatives are tea party members. The downgrade happened for other reasons besides the debt ceiling debate.
Do you think that there was a chance that the US would've been downgraded had the debt ceiling been raised last December?
Because I don't.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
balladofwindfishes said:
If I'm reading that right, he walks away with a trillion dollars?

A person with that much wealth is certainly not going to remain anonymous for long

Yeah that would make him the richest person in the world, many many times over. Probably richer than all billionaires combined.

edit: so it's 10 billion then

ToxicAdam

Chichikov said:
Do you think that there was a chance that the US would've been downgraded had the debt ceiling been raised last December?
Because I don't.

Seeing our GDP numbers, the numbers of banks on the danger list, continued unemployment and no signs of increasing revenues in any manner ... it seemed like an inevitability. It may have hastened it a bit.

Mercury Fred said:
He runs an "ex-gay" clinic. I don't think there is a single hetero in the world who runs one of those desperate torture chambers.
Wow. Thanks Mercury Fred, that is a nice compliment for heteros that we wouldn't do such a thing.

(But I suspect some have.)

Chichikov

ToxicAdam said:
Seeing our GDP numbers, the numbers of banks on the danger list, continued unemployment and no signs of increasing revenues in any manner ... it seemed like an inevitability.
I'm not sure what numbers you're looking at and why they would make you think that.
But net interest was 5% of the budget.

I'm having REALLY hard time imagining any non-political default.

How do you see it happening, like in practical terms?

ToxicAdam said:
It may have hastened it a bit.
If we talking years and decades here I agree, if we continue to have a budget deficit every year, eventually we wouldn't be able to make the interest payment, but you know how far off we are from that scenario?

Chichikov said:
Because I don't.

I don't think so, but that doesn't mean it was the cause. It was used as a pretext by S&P. But, ultimately, the downgrade was totally ignored by investors. Of course, I don't think S&P cares, because their political agenda was austerity.

ToxicAdam said:
Seeing our GDP numbers, the numbers of banks on the danger list, continued unemployment and no signs of increasing revenues in any manner ... it seemed like an inevitability. It may have hastened it a bit.

I don't think that had anything to do with it.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
tea partiers are stupid, news at 11... (is this a banned saying?)

But honestly, Obama has shown cowardice to do what needs to be done. Obviously Bush was far worse, but you can't blame Bush for everything. You have to man up and make that change possible that you promised. You could have done something when you had control of every facet of American politics and you accomplished nothing for the budget... :(

eastmen

Banned
Obama signed his own tax cuts (bush extension) So you have to add it in there for any fair comparision.

Of course why would anyone want this to be fair.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The worst in all this is how Obama destroyed the Democrats' credibility. He should have just fought with the Republicans all along. He wouldn't be in a WORST position.

Now the Democrats' best option is Obama saying he won't run again, and them uniting behind a candidate (Clinton could play the role) who will run an 180-degrees campaign. Obama could say "alright I had enough trying to be bi-partisan!" and just run with that, but he won't. He's a joke.

There is no way out for the US, not until at least 2016, and even that is highly unlike. So chances you are stuck with a jar-head until 2016, or Republicans until maybe 2020!

Bring back Al Gore in 2016?:p

ToxicAdam

Chichikov said:
I'm not sure what numbers you're looking at and why they would make you think that.
But net interest was 5% of the budget.

I'm having REALLY hard time imagining any non-political default.

How do you see it happening, like in practical terms?

Being downgraded from the very best level to the second best level doesn't mean you are close to defaulting. If S&P were really concerned about a default actually happening in the future, they would have moved us to BB level.

If we talking years and decades here I agree, if we continue to have a budget deficit every year, eventually we wouldn't be able to make the interest payment, but you know how far off we are from that scenario?

Again .. we are just talking about one level downgraded. Being AA doesn't mean you are close to default. Far from it.

empty vessel said:
I don't think that had anything to do with it.

Didn't the S&P warn that a downgrade could happen if the US didn't let the tax cuts expire? That would indicate they are concerned about our incoming tax revenues.

Being president during 2000-2008 I'm sure wasn't easy. Democrats would have likely enabled similar spending policies to Bush.

I wouldn't say this chart represents the picture here. Obama is still funding wars, extended tax cuts for the rich, etc.

traveler

Not Wario
So, I guess I'll go ahead and chime in with a question- who stands to gain from a policy of austerity? It seems like recent history (specifically the U.K.) shines a bad light on it, big business- which should want more money in consumer pockets- would hate it, middle and lower class Americans would be hurt by its cuts to entitlements, and GDP will suffer from it, leading us deeper into debt than its cuts would make up. From my perspective, (which is, admittedly, heavily influenced by Krugman's writings and some of Larry Summer's recent statements) I can't understand why anyone would pursue it as a direction of policy.

Zaptruder

Banned
shadowsdarknes said:
Being president during 2000-2008 I'm sure wasn't easy. Democrats would have likely enabled similar spending policies to Bush.

I wouldn't say this chart represents the picture here. Obama is still funding wars, extended tax cuts for the rich, etc.

Are you for real?

If so... that is some serious retconning right there.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
no way Democrats would have spent nearly as much in the wars or on tax cuts (lol), but they might have made up some of the difference in entitlements.

Although Repubs did Medicaire Part B all by themselves. :)

Ether_Snake said:
The worst in all this is how Obama destroyed the Democrats' credibility. He should have just fought with the Republicans all along. He wouldn't be in a WORST position.

Now the Democrats' best option is Obama saying he won't run again, and them uniting behind a candidate (Clinton could play the role) who will run an 180-degrees campaign. Obama could say "alright I had enough trying to be bi-partisan!" and just run with that, but he won't. He's a joke.

There is no way out for the US, not until at least 2016, and even that is highly unlike. So chances you are stuck with a jar-head until 2016, or Republicans until maybe 2020!

Bring back Al Gore in 2016?:p
Democrats themselves ruined their own credibility. While it's admirable that they aren't a hive mind like the GOP is, to say Obama ruined the party is outright false. They refused to come together on the Healthcare bill, and despite the filibuster if they would've said "Fuck it, this is for the good of the country" we could've had a stronger 2-3 trillion dollar stimulus, a public option, and a HELL of a lot better regulation bill for the financial institutions.

Vestal

traveler said:
So, I guess I'll go ahead and chime in with a question- who stands to gain from a policy of austerity? It seems like recent history (specifically the U.K.) shines a bad light on it, big business- which should want more money in consumer pockets- would hate it, middle and lower class Americans would be hurt by its cuts to entitlements, and GDP will suffer from it, leading us deeper into debt than its cuts would make up. From my perspective, (which is, admittedly, heavily influenced by Krugman's writings and some of Larry Summer's recent statements) I can't understand why anyone would pursue it as a direction of policy.

Basically the opposition. Cutting spending during a stagnant economy is a no no, unless you don't understand economics or you are thinking of sabotaging the admin to win the next election.

Not to mention that there is a new Law right now that used to be a rule that expired in 2002(just in time to pass Medicare Plan D with no revenue to support it). PayGO.. Which basically says that if you increase spending you must increase revenue to pay for that new spending.. It was a policy issued during GHWB(as a rule not a law) which expired during his sons presidency. Funny enough when it passed the House and Senate it had little to no Republican support back in 2009.

RJM77

Stephen Colbert said:
Extending the bush tax cuts was a mistake. Obama was too cowardly to be accused of raising taxes in the middle of a recession. But that doesn't change the fact that this was a policy enacted by Bush.

It wasn't just that. The tax cuts for the rich were extended in exchange for republican votes to extend unemployment benefits.

Vestal

TacticalFox88 said:
Democrats themselves ruined their own credibility. While it's admirable that they aren't a hive mind like the GOP is, to say Obama ruined the party is outright false. They refused to come together on the Healthcare bill, and despite the filibuster if they would've said "Fuck it, this is for the good of the country" we could've had a stronger 2-3 trillion dollar stimulus, a public option, and a HELL of a lot better regulation bill for the financial institutions.

THIS!!

FUCKING THIS!

I can't take it anymore. London's burning, the economy is crashing, Somalis are starving, Greece is going bankrupt, Syrians are being slaughtered, etc.

And things may get worse. :-(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TacticalFox88 said:

I blame Obama because all of his efforts appear to be fake. He's acting like he wants something then gives up. All the time. He never calls out the right, ever. And he acts like this shows how much he is bipartisan, which is bullshit. This is like turning-the-other-cheek thing, to the GOP or all people, lol. Don't act like the guy is Jesus trying to show the GOP their sins:p

He is cookie dough.

AlteredBeast said:
no way Democrats would have spent nearly as much in the wars or on tax cuts (lol), but they might have made up some of the difference in entitlements.

Although Repubs did Medicaire Part B all by themselves. :)

lololol BIG Pharma needed a stimulus package

ToxicAdam

traveler said:

Austerity? You mean this?

6a00d83451c45669e201539068edd6970b-550wi

With much of these cuts coming from the winding down of the wars.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Ether_Snake said:
I blame Obama because all of his efforts appear to be fake. He's acting like he wants something then gives up. All the time. He never calls out the right, ever. And he acts like this shows how much he is bipartisan, which is bullshit. This is like turning-the-other-cheek thing, to the GOP or all people, lol. Don't act like the guy is Jesus trying to show the GOP their sins:p

He is cookie dough.

Yep, even after the downgrade all he could muster was, "Bububu WE ALL need to get OUR house in order. EVERYONE. NOT SINGLING ANYONE IN PARTICULAR OUT BECAUSE WE ARE AMERICANS AND ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom