• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaborn said:
I doubt it. He just made 1.6 million dollars two days ago (even though his site was hammered by a "cyber attack")

Reading this article made me think: Isn't Ron Paul pretty old? He would be 77 years old by the 2012 election. Hypothetically, if he was elected president in 2012 and served two terms, he'd be 85 by the end of his presidency. Historically, the oldest person to ever take the office was Ronald Reagan at 69.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Rick Perry's camp says his book does not reflect his future policy beliefs.
Brian Beutler | August 22, 2011, 11:10AM

8-13-perry-zuma-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg

Texas Governor-turned-Presidential candidate Rick Perry is already walking away from his brand new controversial political manifesto Fed Up, and in particular its attack on Social Security as an unconstitutional Ponzi scheme.

His campaign spokesman told the Wall Street Journal that Fed Up "is a look back, not a path forward" written "as a review and critique of 50 years of federal excesses, not in any way as a 2012 campaign blueprint or manifesto."

That's not exactly true. Perry spends most of the book criticizing New Deal, Great Society, and Obama administration policies, among others. But there are plenty of shoulds, coulds, and ought tos -- both explicit or implicit -- scattered throughout the book.

Here's one section on Social Security.

For too long, politicians afraid to face hard facts have been patching Social Security together with Band-Aids. They have been making fraudulent promises to the American people in order to perpetuate their own political careers, and now the chickens are coming home to roost, as the saying goes. An aging population with large numbers of retirees now want to cash in on those promises.

Ponzi schemes -- like the one that sent Bernard Madoff to prison -- are illegal in this country for a reason. They are fraudulent systems designed to take in a lot of money in a lot of money at the front and pay out none in the end. This unsustainable fiscal insanity is the true legacy of Social Security and the New Deal. Deceptive accounting has hoodwinked the American public into thinking that Social Security is a retirement system and financially sound, when clearly it is not.

If only the New Dealers had been kind enough to allow workers to make their own choice about whether to participate. As we know from experience, individuals would have done better on their own. Indeed many private pension plans return 8 percent per year, compared to Social Security's paltry 2 percent or less. Also, before the government padlocked the door in 1983, municipal governments were allowed to opt out of the system. Fittingly, three texas counties -- Galveston, Matagorda, and Brazoria -- did so. In 1981, Galveston county employees, for example, voted 78 percent to 22 percent to leave Social Security for a private option.

If you think Social Security is fraudulent, and unconstitutional, presumably you want to get rid of it or dramatically overhaul it. But those sorts of radical changes are extremely unpopular, and Perry would be better off politically having kept his powder dry on that score. The problem is he's outlined a vision of a different kind of retirement system based on private pension plans that he thinks would be preferable.

Separately, he argues that Social Security is unsustainable. Social Security will be solvent for about a quarter of a century, at which point, if nothing is done, benefits will drop by about 25 percent, to keep benefits in line with incoming revenues. Fairly modest changes to revenue and benefits could fix this long-term shortfall indefinitely. Eliminating the cap on the payroll tax cap would close the gap entirely.

###################

Does anybody still think Perry will win the nom now? To me he's becoming more and more of a joke. He seriously argued that private pensions should be the way to go over a small 2% rate of a return that SS has.

Yet does he not care that he's book came out after the Banking recession of 2008? Does he not remember that many people lost their money in their 401ks in 2008 and 2009?

Gaborn

Mr. Serious Business said:
Reading this article made me think: Isn't Ron Paul pretty old? He would be 77 years old by the 2012 election. Hypothetically, if he was elected president in 2012 and served two terms, he'd be 85 by the end of his presidency. Historically, the oldest person to ever take the office was Ronald Reagan at 69.

He's definitely old, but I think he's still very sharp. I'm not sure age would be a major issue in the campaign (I'm no Reagan lover but we've seen what can happen when that issue is raised)

Jackson50

PhoenixDark said:
So are people still pretending like 2012 is going to magically change and Obama will get re-elected?
Do you maintain that a Romney presidency under dividied government would not differ from an Obama presidency under divided government?
Invisible_Insane said:
That was one of the concerns I expressed when the intervention started. And positive as the news has been in the last couple of days, I think it'll be a while before my other major concern about the intervention is addressed--it doesn't strain the imagination at all to imagine a world where things become substantially worse in Libya after Qaddafi's departure, or one where the resulting instability becomes truly problematic for the United States--Afghanistan style.
Precisely. I understand the jubilation regarding Qaddafi's deposition. But I will not allow recent events to cloud my judgement. We must escape the influence of recent events before we can accurately judge the wisdom of our intervention. The situation remains dangerous; myriad formidable problems remain. Still, I hope my skepticism proves unfounded.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mr. Serious Business said:
Well if Paul and Bachmann being toe to toe with Obama in hypothetical polls isn't proof of his inevitable defeat, I don't know what is.

This. I understand Mittens being a threat, but batshit Bachmann being so competitive (and this isn't a Rasmussen poll either) is a terrifying thought.

Course, I'm sure that'll change dramatically once people start finding out more and more about her.

Chichikov

Gaborn said:
He's definitely old, but I think he's still very sharp. I'm not sure age would be a major issue in the campaign (I'm no Reagan lover but we've seen what can happen when that issue is raised)
You don't think McCain's age was an issue in the last election?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
demon said:
What a myopic, selfish, Republican thing to say. This is why we can't have nice things.
eznark is more libertarian than Republican, so you shouldn't be particularly surprised by his comment.

Gaborn

Chichikov said:
You don't think McCain's age was an issue in the last election?

Well it's never NOT going to be an issue at all when there is some contrast between candidates. Of course voters are going to be interested in what makes candidates different rather than the ways they share similar backgrounds. I just don't think it's an issue that would be raised by either campaign, in the same way that neither candidate's age was really raised by the candidates in 08.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Gaborn said:
Well it's never NOT going to be an issue at all when there is some contrast between candidates. Of course voters are going to be interested in what makes candidates different rather than the ways they share similar backgrounds. I just don't think it's an issue that would be raised by either campaign, in the same way that neither candidate's age was really raised by the candidates in 08.

Yeah but it was in the media and in many voters minds.

Homer: Hey, they have chairs with wheels and here I am using my legs like a sucker!

Homer: Hey, what's Lucky joined up to?
Woman: It's a machine that breaths for him.
Homer: And here I am using my own lungs like a sucker.

It is strange to listen to Simpsons commentaries and they can't laugh at jokes that were funny about Jimmy Carter being history's greatest monster or Clinton saying he was a pretty terrible president. In retrospect it is just sad how the meh times were actually the blurst of times.

Gaborn

mckmas8808 said:
Yeah but it was in the media and in many voters minds.

I'm not sure how big an issue it was in either. It might have been raised a bit, in a sense Hillary could have been raising Obama's youth a bit with her 2 am phone call ads (or whatever time the phone rang in the white house) but I don't recall it being a big issue in the media. Maybe I have selective memory, I certainly won't claim it was NEVER EVER raised, I believe some comedians made some jokes about the contrast, but I don't think it was a major factor.

The majority of people in an election aren't going to vote on a candidate's age unless major health problems develop. If Ron Paul were to have a massive heart attack and be wheel chair bound for example, or if Obama had a large tumor in his lungs. Either of these things are of course possible for anyone (as much as I hope neither would happen) I think it would come into play THEN in a health sense.

I want to be clear though, I'm not claiming age was never ever ever a factor in anyone's mind in 2008 or wouldn't be in the future, I'm just saying it's silly to suggest it would be a major focus of the campaign. Whatever attention people paid to it in '08 I sincerely doubt that's why they cast their ballots the way they did.

Veezy

que?
Oblivion said:
Normally I'd do some sort of "hyper right wing" bit here, but I just don't have it in me.

I guess I could go on how hard it is for a corporation to get a seat at the lunch counter because people are all like "we don't like your kind in here, boy."

No, I'm not gonna do it. This is as stupid as when that one guy in the Ron Paul said "corporations love regulation" and "public schooling brainwashes children into not understanding liberty because they recieve federal funding."

Rick Perry is a bad human being.

Oblivion

Suddenly, I find myself liking that new multi-racial Spiderman a little more:

Marvel Comics announced that multi-racial Miles Morales would be the new man behind Spider-man’s red and blue mask in “Ultimate Spider-Man.” Right on cue, right-wing punditry erupted in a racist rage against the idea of a biracial hero. Defunct Fox News host Glenn Beck lashed out at Marvel, calling Spiderman “a stupid comic book” and attributed the change as an intentional nod to Michelle Obama’s apparent agenda to “change our traditions.”

In response, “Ultimate Spider-Man” writer Brian Michael Bendis found reason to celebrate: “We pissed off Glenn Beck, and that was amazing. I don’t think Glenn Beck is an idiot because he’s a conservative. I literally think he’s just an idiot. Regardless of his belief system, he’s just a lunatic. So that was hilarious…I told my wife that she doesn’t have to get me anything for my birthday because nothing will make me happier than this made me.”

:bow

Mike M

Nick N
Either Rick Perry's purported campaigning acumen doesn't translate well to the national stage, or he's got some strategy to consume the far right vote to secure the nomination and then plans to bank on the apathetic illl-informed electorate turning on Obama because of the economy regardless of who the opposition is...

Mike M said:
Either Rick Perry's purported campaigning acumen doesn't translate well to the national stage, or he's got some strategy to consume the far right vote to secure the nomination and then plans to bank on the apathetic illl-informed electorate turning on Obama because of the economy regardless of who the opposition is...

That is probably what is going on and it will probably work.

Oblivion said:

Yea, saw this a couple of weeks ago on facebook and just left it alone. The sheer idiocy of thinking that there's 256 million americans that agree with that is hilarious. Somewhat frightening is throwing Michelle in that sort of talk though. Did people joke about Laura Bush dying being a good thing?

Mike M said:
Pretty much the latter. The ill-informed will be the DEATH of this country, along with the greed of the top 1 percent.

Oblivion

Gaborn said:
Disgusting. I disagree strongly with Obama's policies but he's still the President.

So if I'm reading this right...you'd like to kill Obama and his (entire) family too?

Gaborn

Oblivion said:
So if I'm reading this right...you'd like to kill Obama and his (entire) family too?

Obviously, I mean, who wouldn't!

Seriously, I never got that attitude. I have strong political views, sure, but it's not personal. I actually think Obama comes off as very likable, very well meaning. He's a bit awkward and can sound like a bit of an academician at times but that's because of his background. For ANYONE to call for ANYTHING like what that woman called for is just craziness. I will argue against Obama's policies whenever I disagree with them but he's still my President even though I never voted for him and doubt very seriously I will in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom