• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaborn said:
Such as... opposing the PATRIOT Act (which Paul does) and torture (which again, Paul opposes) and the TSA (again...) I mean, implying that Paul is somehow anti-human rights when fundamentally he just wants people to leave you alone in your personal decision making...

No. Ron Paul's position has very clearly been "Sure, states imposing gay sodomy laws are silly, but god damnmit it is their right to impose them on you." He very clearly cares more about state rights to act as tyranny rather than human rights.

Just to reiterate, the issue I'm bringing up about Ron Paul are his absolutely disastrous views on Separation of Church and State. I'm very convinced that they will have a direct negative impact on my life as the damage Bush did to the Separation of Church and state already has and to many others. You aren't addressing that in the slightest.

Chichikov

RustyNails said:
Sorry Gabs, I didn't mean to be snarky. It's just that when it comes to regulation, you selectively decide what needs to government intervention and what doesn't, but when it comes to military intervention, you're mind is set like a line on a rock.
We all do.
Well, unless you're a market anarchist.

The issue is that libertarians tend to think that their preferred regulations are part of "freedom", but that's a rather minor point in the grand scheme of things.

Gaborn said:
I think to some extent everyone makes choices as to what they feel it is appropriate for the government to regulate and what isn't. I think for me in general when you have things dealing directly with the health and safety of the general population (such as meat inspection, or making sure we have clean drinking water, or hell the clean air act regulating pollutants in our atmosphere) there is absolutely a government role, and I see nothing inappropriate about regulating prostitutes to make sure they provide as sanitary a service as possible, same as I don't have a big issue with restaurants dealing with health inspectors.

We can certainly quibble with the degree of specific regulations in specific circumstances on specific issues but I'm not reflexively going to say all regulation is inherently bad. Regulation DOES impose a cost and it is worth at times making a simple cost benefit analysis (example: Louisiana, in a sop to the florist business actually required a license and a state exam before a business could legally sell floral arrangements). You're right, frequently I do find regulations onerous and irrational but I hardly see why some basic regulation to make more certain the health of sex workers would be problematic.

I don't get to compliment you often, so I am happy to report that I think this is a perfectly reasonable response (although we obviously will disagree substantially about what regulations are necessary).

thekad

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
You argue that he went against the wishes of Congress. If Congress REALLY wanted to stop him they would've stopped funding the war

Or pass the no-fly-zone resolution (unanimously?) a week before the UN resolution.

edit: beaten

Puddles

Banned
Oblivion said:

Lord knows I'm no fan of any of the GOP candidates, but this is a sensationalist headline.

The exact quote was
America’s gone a long way from the standpoint of civil rights and thank God we have. I mean we’ve gone from a country that made great strides in issues of civil rights. I think we all can be proud of that. And as we go forward, America needs to be about freedom. It needs to be about freedom from overtaxation, freedom from over-litigation, freedom from over-regulation. And Americans regardless of what their cultural or ethnic background is they need to know that they can come to America and you got a chance to have any dream come true because the economic climate is gonna be improved.

He didn't really specify corporate taxation. It sure as hell might have been implied, but the headline puts words in his mouth. A more accurate description of the quote would have been "Perry compares America's regulatory and tax climate to pre CRA America."

Again, I'm no Perry fan, but we on the left need to take the high road when it comes to these kinds of news stories.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Puddles said:
Lord knows I'm no fan of any of the GOP candidates, but this is a sensationalist headline.

The exact quote was

He didn't really specify corporate taxation. It sure as hell might have been implied, but the headline puts words in his mouth. A more accurate description of the quote would have been "Perry compares America's regulatory and tax climate to pre CRA America."

Again, I'm no Perry fan, but we on the left need to take the high road when it comes to these kinds of news stories.

I don't really think that clarification makes Perry look any better, to be honest. :p

KtSlime

Gaborn said:
No, because I think you misunderstand what Paul and what I am saying.

It's not so much that libertarians exclusively favor states rights at the expense of county or city rights or even individual rights. Rather, it's that while we acknowledge there are many legitimate roles for the government to play, it is better and more ideal for powers to be as decentralized as possible. You might say on average I would prefer a state to perform a function than the federal government, better a local government having the control than the state, and best of all is leaving it to the individual where possible.

Now that is NOT an endorsement of anarchy and it is NOT suggesting the different levels of government do not have roles they are uniquely suited for. There is a good deal of government most libertarians have little to no issue with, or if they do it isn't necessarily a big priority for them.

Bit of a loaded question, isn't it?

States ideally are laboratories for democracy. If a state wants to legalize prostitution (as, personally I think all SHOULD as a matter of policy) they should be free to do so. Or a state like Oregon with it's laws allowing for physician assisted suicide which the federal government has been fighting for years to the best of my knowledge, that should be left up to Oregon.

Or drugs, or... essentially any decision the federal government isn't mandated to make the states should be allowed to tweak. Another one, the Constitution sets out a maximum federal drinking age, but I don't believe in tying highway funding to the drinking age to coerce states to adopt federal standards. Really, I think we should join the majority of the world and our drinking age should be ABSOLUTELY no higher than 18.

I don't believe that I am misunderstanding the libertarian view. In fact, I think libertarians don't really understand their own view, and that it is such a ridged ideology that it is hard to not find something in opposition to it's very nature.

The basis of libertarian ideology as I understand it is 'the free market has the answer'. It's 100% darwinian in that companies that fail to improve the human condition will become extinct, and that that dynamic should also be extended to states. If I don't like 'doctor assisted suicide' I can leave Oregon and ignore what's happening over there, if enough people start leaving, they may reconsider the practice, or the state dies. Survival of the fittest.

It's an interesting concept, that the strong survive and the weak fail. And it might work if we were insects, or maybe even turtles - but 'survival of the fittest' is succumbing to it's own weaknesses. Mammals have an increased capacity for being social, no longer are the only reason to be social for attracting a mate to reproduce, mammals have weak young, and they take care of their young - often in organized social groups. As we move up to primates the young are even more defenseless and individuals of the group often can not survive for long without interacting with other members. Get to humans and we are hopeless - an infant will die in a day or so, and needs constant supervision for their first thousand, even then they are not likely to survive unless they get even more attention. Years are invested into offspring. Knowledge such as being able to prepare food by use of fire, or being able to build the most basic of tools in order to acquire food - or even what is edible or not is all learned by members of a society. An individual human has no chance of survival on its own until they are greatly educated by other humans.

You wonder why I bring this up, it's easy to understand - in life, especially in human life - survival of the fittest is no longer the law. Survival of the fittest has failed to shared social responsibility. The more social a species is, the greater it's chances of survival are - look how great we have been doing, and we keep doing better and becoming more productive as our ability to communicate and our ability to create increasingly complex societies improve. This reminds me of what happened to the libertarian's utopia. It's in the past. As time progresses we have created all sorts of social infrastructures into our government, societies have gotten larger, governments have gotten larger and more regulatory, and libertarians want to go back to how things were, because the free market aka survival of the fittest knows best. You know what, just like survival of the fittest the free market has been losing to itself. The public (not limited to the US) has spoken, we want to be more social, we want larger government, it improves life for all humans - when we start looking back to the free market, unregulated capitalism, we are doing ourselves a great disservice, it lost in the realm of public thought for good reason - it was hurting people.

I see very few benefits to decentralizing the power, especially in this day and age - could you elaborate as to why the power to choose to enforce civil rights should be decentralized? Enforcing civil rights is the right thing to do, in fact, it's such the right thing to do that EVERY country should enforce something like it.

Only when the wrong laws are put into effect due to miseducation do we need your laboratory. I don't need Oregon to test the waters with doctor assisted suicide to know that it should be legal everywhere - US or otherwise. I don't need Massachusetts to test to see if allowing two people of the same gender who love each other to get married will ruin society, and I certainly don't need California to test to see if people with glaucoma get some sort of ease from their discomfort by smoking a bowl of weed.

Test beds for democracy. *shakes head*

Gaborn

TacticalFox88 said:
You argue that he went against the wishes of Congress. If Congress REALLY wanted to stop him they would've stopped funding the war bringing the Libya operation to a screeching halt.

It is not for congress to STOP Obama, it is Obama's responsibility, when he pledged to defend and uphold the Constitution to uphold it by following the separation of powers. You are absolutely right that Congress SHOULD cut funding until and unless Obama actually seeks and receives their explicit authorization to use military force but lacking such authorization I do not believe this action is was or will be consistent with US law.

Chichikov

ivedoneyourmom said:
The basis of libertarian ideology as I understand it is 'the free market has the answer'. It's 100% darwinian in that companies that fail to improve the human condition will become extinct, and that that dynamic should also be extended to states. If I don't like 'doctor assisted suicide' I can leave Oregon and ignore what's happening over there, if enough people start leaving, they may reconsider the practice, or the state dies. Survival of the fittest.
I don't want to get into a semantic discussion, but pretty much no libertarian thinks that, whether they realize it or not.

You're describing is usually referred to as market anarchism.

Gaborn

ivedoneyourmom said:
I don't believe that I am misunderstanding the libertarian view. In fact, I think libertarians don't really understand their own view, and that it is such a ridged ideology that it is hard to not find something in opposition to it's very nature.

This is not the most promising start a post could have.

That is not the "basis of libertarian ideology" The basis of libertarian ideology would be that generally a freer society is going to lead to more positive outcomes, but just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact libertarianism is not inherently hostile to government.

What YOU are talking about is either anarchism or anarcho-capitalism. There are many flavors under what could in the broadest sense be termed the "libertarian umbrella" if you will. Minarchism is another example and THERE you can perhaps get the purest definition of a libertarian state (that is distinctly separate from anarchy) however, like any political philosophy it's purest form rarely makes for good government. I've responded in several other posts about various examples where I think it is entirely appropriate for government to regulate.

It's an interesting concept, that the strong survive and the weak fail. And it might work if we were insects, or maybe even turtles - but 'survival of the fittest' is succumbing to it's own weaknesses. Mammals have an increased capacity for being social, no longer are the only reason to be social for attracting a mate to reproduce, mammals have weak young, and they take care of their young - often in organized social groups. As we move up to primates the young are even more defenseless and individuals of the group often can not survive for long without interacting with other members. Get to humans and we are hopeless - an infant will die in a day or so, and needs constant supervision for their first thousand, even then they are not likely to survive unless they get even more attention. Years are invested into offspring. Knowledge such as being able to prepare food by use of fire, or being able to build the most basic of tools in order to acquire food - or even what is edible or not is all learned by members of a society. An individual human has no chance of survival on its own until they are greatly educated by other humans.

You wonder why I bring this up, it's easy to understand - in life, especially in human life - survival of the fittest is no longer the law. Survival of the fittest has failed to shared social responsibility. The more social a species is, the greater it's chances of survival are - look how great we have been doing, and we keep doing better and becoming more productive as our ability to communicate and our ability to create increasingly complex societies improve. This reminds me of what happened to the libertarian's utopia. It's in the past. As time progresses we have created all sorts of social infrastructures into our government, societies have gotten larger, governments have gotten larger and more regulatory, and libertarians want to go back to how things were, because the free market aka survival of the fittest knows best. You know what, just like survival of the fittest the free market has been losing to itself. The public (not limited to the US) has spoken, we want to be more social, we want larger government, it improves life for all humans - when we start looking back to the free market, unregulated capitalism, we are doing ourselves a great disservice, it lost in the realm of public thought for good reason - it was hurting people.

I see very few benefits to decentralizing the power, especially in this day and age - could you elaborate as to why the power to choose to enforce civil rights should be decentralized? Enforcing civil rights is the right thing to do, in fact, it's such the right thing to do that EVERY country should enforce something like it.

Only when the wrong laws are put into effect due to miseducation do we need your laboratory. I don't need Oregon to test the waters with doctor assisted suicide to know that it should be legal everywhere - US or otherwise. I don't need Massachusetts to test to see if allowing two people of the same gender who love each other will ruin society, and I certainly don't need California to test to see if people with glaucoma get some sort of ease from their discomfort by smoking a bowl of weed.

Test beds for democracy. *shakes head*

I think the rest of this post qualifies as a straw man because I haven't argued in favor of any of this.

Chumly

Plinko said:
As a Christian, it appalls me to see the GOP getting Christian support when the Democrats and their attitude toward helping the poor come FAR closer to the actual message Jesus gives in the Bible. I won't vote for another Republican again until that "Go Go Corporate and forget the dirty poors" attitude changes.

Same here. It's absolutely sickening hearing some of the supposed "christian" people constantly bitching about the poor.

Gaborn said:
The basis of libertarian ideology would be that generally a freer society is going to lead to more positive outcomes

I wouldn't disagree that generally a freer society is going to lead to more positive outcomes. What we disagree about is whose freedom. I think a person's freedom to obtain health care outweighs a person's freedom to make a monetary profit from health care. You see, Libertarians aren't pro-freedom. They are pro-certain-freedoms-that-they-value-more-than-other-freedoms. Like the freedom to participate in markets free from racial discrimination, for example, a freedom that Libertarians hate with a passion.

Mind you, this doesn't make Libertarians evil. It makes them just like everybody else. The difference is that some of us don't try to pretend that the freedoms we value less than others aren't freedoms at all.

empty vessel said:
I wouldn't disagree that generally a freer society is going to lead to more positive outcomes. What we disagree about is whose freedom. I think a person's freedom to obtain health care outweighs a person's freedom to make a monetary profit from health care. You see, Libertarians aren't pro-freedom. They are pro-certain-freedoms-that-they-value-more-than-other-freedoms. Like the freedom to participate in markets free from racial discrimination, for example, a freedom that Libertarians hate with a passion.

Like Ron Paul himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=26sprb4Vi44

ToxicAdam

6a00d83451c45669e2015434bb1f04970c-550wi

It's no secret that American students are being crushed by student loans. We're on track to cross the $1 trillion mark in total student debt, exceeding household credit card debt, sometime later this year.

Link

Gaborn

empty vessel said:

Well sure, we're always going to argue about what is a right for example and what is a government's responsibility and what isn't. There are libertarian socialists who could very possibly see health care as such a right. I don't think most libertarians have a huge problem (necessary evil here I think) with a program like medicare or medicaid (not saying they endorse those programs specifically, but rather the idea of providing medical care for vulnerable populations such as the poor and the very elderly) for example. I think most libertarians would argue these programs should be reformed and made solvent, perhaps even drastically altered. A more liberal person would say, of course that we should have something like "medicare for all," a single payer system where EVERYONE receives their health care from the government. Libertarians would say that assisting vulnerable populations, while maybe not their ideal in terms of government is at least rational, we can intellectually understand why such an outcome is desireable.

On the other hand libertarians DON'T feel the same way about the general concept of health care for all, and PARTICULARLY not in regards to PPACA and the individual mandate.

Mortrialus - You do know what year it is, right? Are you honestly worried that Ron Paul would in any way work to get rid of the CRA of 64? Really?

TacticalFox88 said:
The Cost of college is absolutely asinine. The cost far outweighs the benefits in some cases

Yes, but that doesn't mean there is a problem with going to college. It means there is a problem with how we charge for it and/or pay for it.

Chumly said:

Same here. It's absolutely sickening hearing some of the supposed "christian" people constantly bitching about the poor.
And what are the two big "Christian" issues that always end up in the headlines? Gays and abortion. Two things that Jesus said absolutely NOTHING about.

Jesus did say a lot of hardline things about divorce . . . but no one seems to be pushing those laws.

Averon

The Bachelor's degree is the new HS diploma. It's only going to get worse with people having to go to graduate school just to stand out in a pile of resumes where everyone have a BA/BS.

KtSlime

Gaborn, I am sorry for stating certain sects of libertarian thought were that of the whole and yours as well, I was wrong in doing so. Certainly there are different levels of government that we all accept, and certain levels of regulation we believe are required for creating a safe and healthy society, and I apologize for claiming that all libertarians only hold the most extreme forms.

I still however do not understand why some laws and regulations should be at different levels. What's good for the goose is good for the gander as they say. Why does it matter if a law that is beneficial to everyone is passed in 1 federal government versus 50 state governments? And wouldn't economics of scale come as beneficial to creating regulations? Why leave automobile safety regulations up to 20 different firms to be created 20 different times, where they may see financial gains by cutting corners rather than one government created body that is able to create less biased standards once. The later seems more efficient to me.

ToxicAdam

SolKane said:
So what's the ultimate prognosis of all this debt? It will never be paid off with unemployment at 10% and receding wages.

I think it just means we are doomed to a slower economic growth path for decades to come unless something fundamentally changes.

Klocker

Plinko said:
As a Christian, it appalls me to see the GOP getting Christian support when the Democrats and their attitude toward helping the poor come FAR closer to the actual message Jesus gives in the Bible. I won't vote for another Republican again until that "Go Go Corporate and forget the dirty poors" attitude changes.

That is the most Christian thing I have read or heard about politics in years.

seriously, how can people close their eyes to that?

speculawyer said:
And what are the two big "Christian" issues that always end up in the headlines? Gays and abortion. Two things that Jesus said absolutely NOTHING about.

Jesus did say a lot of hardline things about divorce . . . but no one seems to be pushing those laws.

Jesus condoned mosaic law.

Gaborn

ivedoneyourmom said:
Gaborn, I am sorry for stating certain sects of libertarian thought were that of the whole and yours as well, I was wrong in doing so. Certainly there are different levels of government that we all accept, and certain levels of regulation we believe are required for creating a safe and healthy society, and I apologize for claiming that all libertarians only hold the most extreme forms.

I still however do not understand why some laws and regulations should be at different levels. What's good for the goose is good for the gander as they say. Why does it matter if a law that is beneficial to everyone is passed in 1 federal government versus 50 state governments? And wouldn't economics of scale come as beneficial to creating regulations? Why leave automobile safety regulations up to 20 different firms to be created 20 different times, where they may see financial gains by cutting corners rather than one government created body that is able to create less biased standards once. The later seems more efficient to me.

Do you mind my asking if you're an American? In the US we have always had certain laws that applied to the states and certain laws that apply to the federal government. For example the age of consent. Federally, we have the AoC at 18, but that's mainly for things like participating in pornography (and technically viewing it of course) and other related laws that are broadly of federal concern because they apply across state lines. Within that though many states have a variety of AoCs on average around 16.

You can scroll to the bottom of this chart and see the various states ages of consent here.

The USA was set up with this hierarchy by the deliberate choice of our founding fathers in our Constitution. Some powers are explicitly reserved to the federal government, some explicitly to the states, some to the people.

Puddles

Banned
I'm really glad my student loan debt only came out to about $10k. I started at the UC system back in 2002. Apparently it's doubled in price since then.

SolKane said:
I managed to graduate with no student loan debt but I haven't been able to find a job. So I guess I broke even.

If you consider wasting 4 years of time and $(however much your tuition was) to be "breaking even," then....yeah I guess you did.

KtSlime

Gaborn said:
Do you mind my asking if you're an American? In the US we have always had certain laws that applied to the states and certain laws that apply to the federal government. For example the age of consent. Federally, we have the AoC at 18, but that's mainly for things like participating in pornography (and technically viewing it of course) and other related laws that are broadly of federal concern because they apply across state lines. Within that though many states have a variety of AoCs on average around 16.

You can scroll to the bottom of this chart and see the various states ages of consent here.

The USA was set up with this hierarchy by the deliberate choice of our founding fathers in our Constitution. Some powers are explicitly reserved to the federal government, some explicitly to the states, some to the people.

Yes, I am American (and no, I don't mind you asking). I understand we have an hierarchy, and it makes sense why the founding fathers did it that way, it (to me at least) appears to be done as a compromise, to permit states to keep their autonomy and convince them to join the union at the time.

I am aware that different states have different AoCs, what I don't understand is what benefit does permitting say that state of Alabama to set the age of consent to 16, rather than 18? It seems less messy, and would be easier to just set it the same across all the states. Unless you want to claim that setting the age at 18 interferes with the great Iowan cultural tradition* of permitting adults to be able to hook up with 14 year old boys/16 year old girls.

*The US should have no qualms about destroying cultural traditions, we've done it many hundreds of times over, the entirety of the US is built on the destruction and shedding of such things.

Puddles

Banned
Holy shit, the WSJ article that K-Thug smacked down is idiotic drivel.

Consider what happened last week when Laura Meckler of this newspaper dared to ask White House Press Secretary Jay Carney how increasing unemployment insurance "creates jobs." She received this slap down: "I would expect a reporter from The Wall Street Journal would know this as part of the entrance exam just to get on the paper."

Mr. Carney explained that unemployment insurance "is one of the most direct ways to infuse money into the economy because people who are unemployed and obviously aren't earning a paycheck are going to spend the money that they get . . . and that creates growth and income for businesses that then lead them to making decisions about jobs—more hiring."

No shit. Unemployment insurance prevents the complete freefall in consumer spending and rapid rise of poverty and all its related maladies that would occur if these people had no money to spend.

That's a perfect Keynesian answer, and also perfectly nonsensical. What the White House is telling us is that the more unemployed people we can pay for not working, the more people will work. Only someone with a Ph.D. in economics from an elite university would believe this.

That's not what the White House is saying at all.

I have two teenage sons. One worked all summer and the other sat on his duff. To stimulate the economy, the White House wants to take more money from the son who works and give it to the one who doesn't work. I can say with 100% certainty as a parent that in the Moore household this will lead to less work.

What kind of out-of-touch, scatterbrained douche-nozzle do you have to be to compare tens of millions of victims of a worldwide economic catastrophe to a lazy teenager?

Or consider the biggest whopper: Mr. Obama's thoroughly discredited $830 billion stimulus bill. We were promised $1.50 or even up to $3 of economic benefit—the mythical "multiplier"—from every dollar the government spent. There was never any acknowledgment that for the government to spend a dollar, it has to take it from the private economy that is then supposed to create jobs. The multiplier theory only works if you believe there's a fairy passing out free dollars.

Jesus Christ, the multiplier effect is an Econ 1 concept.

A few months ago Mr. Obama blamed high unemployment on businesses becoming "more efficient with a lot fewer workers," and he mentioned ATMs and airport kiosks. The Luddites are back raging against the machine. If Mr. Obama really wants to get to full employment, why not ban farm equipment?

ATMs and airport kiosks are a horrible example. Departments of 20 salaried employees working 60 hour weeks when in 2007 those departments held 30 people working 40 hour weeks is what Obama was really going for there.

How did modern economics fly off the rails? The answer is that the "invisible hand" of the free enterprise system, first explained in 1776 by Adam Smith, got tossed aside for the new "macroeconomics," a witchcraft that began to flourish in the 1930s during the rise of Keynes.

For $100, tell me what else happened in the 1930s, Stephen.

The grand pursuit of economics is to overcome scarcity and increase the production of goods and services. Keynesians believe that the economic problem is abundance: too much production and goods on the shelf and too few consumers.

I don't believe this man read a single word Keynes ever wrote.

SolKane

Synth_floyd said:
If you consider wasting 4 years of time and $(however much your tuition was) to be "breaking even," then....yeah I guess you did.

I'm not sure I understand your response; are you familiar with deadpan humor? Anyway, I didn't waste any money, although I probably did waste time. Then again, what else was I supposed to do? College is basically an aging vat for many people, and I was no exception.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ToxicAdam said:

This is why the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Act is something I'm extremely thankful for. 6 more years of teaching and my loans are wiped away.

Yes, it's a low-paying career, but it's worth it.

Puddles said:
Holy shit, the WSJ article that K-Thug smacked down is idiotic drivel.

That's a perfect Keynesian answer, and also perfectly nonsensical. What the White House is telling us is that the more unemployed people we can pay for not working, the more people will work. Only someone with a Ph.D. in economics from an elite university would believe this.

Krugman was perfectly justified in calling the article anti intellectual drivel. Some of the comments on the WSJ article are pretty scathing as well.

"I'm surprised how many students tell me economics is their least favorite subject. Why? Because too often economic theories defy common sense."

Great Point. That would also explain why so many students hate taking advanced physics. After all, quantum mechanics and relativity completely defy common sense. An "elite liberal" professor once tried to convince my class that the measurement of length, time and mass depended on an inertial frame of reference! What a joke.Thank god common sense is the standard for science.

Gaborn

ivedoneyourmom said:
Yes, I am American (and no, I don't mind you asking). I understand we have an hierarchy, and it makes sense why the founding fathers did it that way, it (to me at least) appears to be done as a compromise, to permit states to keep their autonomy and convince them to join the union at the time.

I am aware that different states have different AoCs, what I don't understand is what benefit does permitting say that state of Alabama to set the age of consent to 16, rather than 18? It seems less messy, and would be easier to just set it the same across all the states. Unless you want to claim that setting the age at 18 interferes with the great Iowan cultural tradition of permitting adults to be able to hook up with 14 year old boys/16 year old girls.

Having 50 different ways to regulate a situation can potentially produce 50 different results with varying success. It's the "laboratories of democracy" theory again. A one size fits all policy doesn't always work for every state, and the flexibility of giving states the ability to set their own rules will tend to produce different outcomes. Just as a simple example, if we DIDN'T have the state/federal distinction then state taxes would be uniform across the country. Since they're not different states will try different formulations of taxation to attract businesses to invest in their state. Some are of course going to be more effective than others and the tax schemes that tend to get the maximum revenue with the minimum opposition (and I'm not necessarily talking about percentages but rather how things are structured) will be more likely to be adopted - because they're more efficacious. It allows essentially states to compete with each other to find better outcomes that states can either choose to adopt or, I suppose, choose to suffer for not doing so.

KtSlime

Gaborn said:
Having 50 different ways to regulate a situation can potentially produce 50 different results with varying success. It's the "laboratories of democracy" theory again. A one size fits all policy doesn't always work for every state, and the flexibility of giving states the ability to set their own rules will tend to produce different outcomes. Just as a simple example, if we DIDN'T have the state/federal distinction then state taxes would be uniform across the country. Since they're not different states will try different formulations of taxation to attract businesses to invest in their state. Some are of course going to be more effective than others and the tax schemes that tend to get the maximum revenue with the minimum opposition (and I'm not necessarily talking about percentages but rather how things are structured) will be more likely to be adopted - because they're more efficacious. It allows essentially states to compete with each other to find better outcomes that states can either choose to adopt or, I suppose, choose to suffer for not doing so.

I suppose you are also against a minimum wage, since this interferes with the state's ability to undercut other states for attracting employment opportunities?

I see no benefit to the US as a whole for permitting states to 'steal' other states businesses. Could you tell me why this is favorable?

ToxicAdam said:
I think it just means we are doomed to a slower economic growth path for decades to come unless something fundamentally changes.

Whats needed is more competition.

From the government.

The free market has gone and done what they do best: fuck things up for the consumer.

Heres what needs to happen:

Government needs to pour billions into government universities. Poach all the best teachers from the private sector. Build the best classrooms. Get the best reputation.

This will take at least 15 years, because of how much value people put into rankings, and how slow they move.

But imagine it's 2025. The US News college rankings come out.

1) UMass Boston
2) SUNY Albany
3) UMass Amherst
4) UC Berkeley
5) U Texas
6) Harvard
7) UCLA
8) U Florida
9) Yale
10) U Michigan

So what does this mean? All the big name PRIVATE schools can no longer rely on their name alone and cannot demand an enormous premium. No longer is having "Princeton" on your resume worth $200,000 because having "SUNY" is more valuable but costs only $40,000

And with students being able to chose between $5,000 a semester at the US number 1 school in the country (UMass)..... vs $40,000 at #6 Harvard down the road...?

Harvard (and everyone else) cant compete. So they have to lower their tuition.

So now, Harvard, NYU, Emory etc all need to match the price of their public counterpart because the education level is the same AND by that point, the brand and reputation is the same.

Result: $5,000 tuition for all.

Gaborn said:
Just how far do you believe the states should have in their "rights"

ToxicAdam

Looks like the Obama administration might have found their election-year patsy ...

Goldman Sachs Chief Executive Lloyd Blankfein has hired a prominent Washington criminal law attorney to defend him against any charges resulting from government investigations into the financial crisis.

Blankfein, one of the most prominent and successful figures on Wall Street, retained Reid Weingarten, an attorney known for representing clients in high-profile cases of alleged corporate wrongdoing. He has represented such former executives as WorldCom Inc. CEO Bernard J. Ebbers and former Tyco International Ltd. general counsel Mark Belnick.

Blankfein is not facing any criminal charges and is not even known to have spoken with criminal prosecutors. Goldman Sachs Group Inc. said the CEO reached out to Weingarten some months ago after the Senate's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations wrote a report about the financial crisis that accused Blankfein of lying to Congress — a report that was then handed on to the Department of Justice.

"As is common in such situations, Mr. Blankfein and other individuals who were expected to be interviewed in connection with the Justice Department's inquiry into certain matters raised in the [Senate subcommittee] report hired counsel at the outset," a spokesman for Goldman said in a statement.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-blankfein-goldman-20110823,0,2783618.story

ToxicAdam said:

The government has taken incredible steps to basically fuck students over and make them wage slaves for the rest of their lives.

They absolutely need to bring back the ability to declare bankruptcy and wipe your student loan debt, or we are headed toward some serious misery in about 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom