• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
eznark said:
Just catching up on the news today. Actually having work to do makes me feel so ill-informed!

I like that Obama is claiming he won't weigh in on the NY gay marriage thing because he respects states rights, yet he was more than happy to weigh in on the Wisconsin budget battle for the unions.

I guess the gays just don't contribute campaign funds like the unions.

he'll even chime in on local police issues of possible racial tension

eznark

Banned
RustyNails said:
He was at a LGBT fundraising dinner when he said that. I think the ticket was $35,000/plate.

Apparently not enough to buy his support on a state issue. At least our president doesn't come cheap.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gaborn said:
Sure, but there is an inherent problem with using a section of society as the focus of your social experiment. If you want to get rid of legal recognition for marriage and give everyone civil unions - then give everyone civil unions. Denying gays access to the institution because you don't think anyone should have marriage is disingenuous and puts absolutely no pressure on straight people to give up the institution, it just puts gays in a separate box.
I'm proposing to use the whole of (American) society for "my" social experiment. Just because it doesn't get you what you want precisely the way you want it doesn't mean it's focused on you in any way.

Whether we allow or continue to deny gays access to marriage, there's absolutely no pressure or impact for me either way. But talking about removing legal recognition of marriage altogether certainly does have direct impact for me, so I'm completely puzzled why you're trying to call my stance disingenuous. You're spending way too much time trying to impugn my motives rather than just discussing the merits of the argument, or lack thereof.

Legalizing same sex marriage doesn't achieve "unconditional equality for all citizens". There would still be forms of marriage many consider legitimate that wouldn't be legal. You have to do much more to achieve your stated goal than just legalize same sex marriage. What you're proposing puts sections of our society in separate boxes, uses certain sections as the focus of your social experiment much more than what I'm proposing.

Gaborn

speculawyer said:
I don't think funding counts. I think the 'hostilities' means "are you putting our troops in harms way". We are endlessly funding hostilities somewhere. Israel, central america, south america etc.

Navy blockade is a good argument . . . are we doing that?

Drone attacks . . . are we really doing drone attacks in Libya? A lot of this I just don't know . . . I wish there were more coverage. I suspect we are doing drone surveillance.

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--A measure to cut off funding for U.S. drone attacks in Libya failed to pass the U.S. House of Representatives on Friday, in a vote watched closely for signs of how far the chamber was willing to go to express frustration with President Barack Obama.

Story Here

kaching said:
I'm proposing to use the whole of (American) society for "my" social experiment. Just because it doesn't get you what you want precisely the way you want it doesn't mean it's focused on you in any way.

Whether we allow or continue to deny gays access to marriage, there's absolutely no pressure or impact for me either way. But talking about removing legal recognition of marriage altogether certainly does have direct impact for me, so I'm completely puzzled why you're trying to call my stance disingenuous. You're spending way too much time trying to impugn my motives rather than just discussing the merits of the argument, or lack thereof.

Legalizing same sex marriage doesn't achieve "unconditional equality for all citizens". There would still be forms of marriage many consider legitimate that wouldn't be legal. You have to do much more to achieve your stated goal than just legalize same sex marriage. What you're proposing puts sections of our society in separate boxes, uses certain sections as the focus of your social experiment much more than what I'm proposing.

Look, if society wants to give everyone marriage, great. If society wants to give everyone civil unions, great. But your suggestion that we should deny gay couples marriage BECAUSE you want everyone to have civil unions is not great. That suggests that we shouldn't "add" to the marriage rolls because you want to advance the agenda of civil unions.

Government needs to treat the relationships the same with respect to the law. I frankly don't care about non-legal rights or recognition.

besada

Banned
Gaborn said:
Besada - True, although I support Paul for other reasons than exclusively gay marriage just as I wouldn't vote for Obama if he DID suddenly endorse gay marriage.

Earlier you said:
I'm not voting for a candidate that supports DOMA.

And yet Ron Paul clearly supports DOMA and you vote for him.

That chart does nothing to move me in Obama's direction, especially given the stark omission of how the "contractor" population fits into this projection of these next few years.

The whole "Promises" thing is somehow utterly annoying---probably based on the notion of how many have been broken, fudged, and generally made. An outline of core and supplemental principles would've been much more palatable than a scattershot list where you just accept that some/many will not happen, even if they were actually legitimate ones.

Gaborn

besada said:
Earlier you said:

And yet Ron Paul clearly supports DOMA and you vote for him.

What I meant was, in reference to Bob Barr the vote wasn't because he wrote DOMA, I voted for him after he repudiated that stance (and his status as a drug warrior). Ron Paul is not perfect on gay marriage, abortion, or immigration. But he's got enough of a track record (hey, he voted for DADT's repeal even though he's not a big fan of that either) that I feel comfortable voting for him even where I disagree. I don't feel the same way about Barr. Though, frankly I wasn't a big fan of Barr in general.

Jackson50

Clevinger said:
So, the House voted against giving Obama authorization for Lybia. But then they also voted down a bill that would defund our involvement. Wha?
This is similar to the situation regarding Operation Allied Force. The House voted against authorization in a close vote. Yet they appropriated money for the operation. I think it is a confluence of factors. Likely, some are political. Moreover, I think Congress, despite its bluster, is hesitant to challenge presidential authority on national security.
Speculawyer said:
I don't think funding counts. I think the 'hostilities' means "are you putting our troops in harms way". We are endlessly funding hostilities somewhere. Israel, central america, south america etc.

Navy blockade is a good argument . . . are we doing that?

Drone attacks . . . are we really doing drone attacks in Libya? A lot of this I just don't know . . . I wish there were more coverage. I suspect we are doing drone surveillance.
That is the problem with the WPR. What constitutes hostility is terribly ambiguous. However, we are engaged in the naval blockade. I think we have a frigate involved. Moreover, yes, we have prosecuted drone attacks. And we have even prosecuted aerial strikes against air defense systems.
Scores of U.S. Strikes in Libya Followed Handoff to NATO
By CHARLIE SAVAGE and THOM SHANKER
Published: June 20, 2011

WASHINGTON — Since the United States handed control of the air war in Libya to NATO in early April, American warplanes have struck at Libyan air defenses about 60 times, and remotely operated drones have fired missiles at Libyan forces about 30 times, according to military officials.

The most recent strike from a piloted United States aircraft was on Saturday, and the most recent strike from an American drone was on Wednesday, the officials said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/world/africa/21powers.html

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I don't have a problem with combining the troops into one big blob to show decreasing involvement of boots on the ground in foreign wars. It's consistent with the message of bringing the troops home, consistent with the message that one war was more important than the other, consistent with the message that realignment would be required, and consistent that once certain extremely vague requirements were met we would bring them home.

The key to remember is that this entire process involves many more stakeholders than any of us could possibly count, that moves made are undeniably political, that certain realities are readily obvious (that of vague goals being somewhat impossible to realize), the personalities involved (Generals, Intelligence, etc), and the ramifications of every decision made -- esp. for a President elected on a wave of war protests and anti-torture promises.

And lets not forget that President Obama is the first Democrat since what, LBJ to preside over a major foreign war? Permanent and long-lasting impressions are at stake. None of this is easy, and every bit of this is political.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gaborn said:
Look, if society wants to give everyone marriage, great. If society wants to give everyone civil unions, great. But your suggestion that we should deny gay couples marriage BECAUSE you want everyone to have civil unions is not great. That suggests that we shouldn't "add" to the marriage rolls because you want to advance the agenda of civil unions.

Government needs to treat the relationships the same with respect to the law. I frankly don't care about non-legal rights or recognition.
Sorry, I thought you said you wanted "unconditional equality for all citizens". Simply legalizing gay marriage doesn't achieve that.

Gaborn

kaching said:
Sorry, I thought you said you wanted "unconditional equality for all citizens". Simply legalizing gay marriage doesn't achieve that.

unconditional under the law. Just like I support the government not being allowed to discriminate but I have no legal problem with private discrimination.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gaborn said:
unconditional under the law. Just like I support the government not being allowed to discriminate but I have no legal problem with private discrimination.
O...kay...Simply legalizing gay marriage doesn't achieve that though.

Gaborn

kaching said:
O...kay...Simply legalizing gay marriage doesn't achieve that though.

I think it solves a good portion of the issue. Can you give me a situation you think is not solved by this? As it is adoption is a state issue (and as it stands generally states don't prohibit same sex couples from adopting). As I said I don't have a problem with private discrimination. If you're referring to government funded organizations discriminating against gays or gay couples then you're absolutely right, sexual orientation should, under federal law be treated like any other innate characteristic.

Jackson50

Kosmo said:
Kind of an interesting article suggesting that Gabrielle Giffords should resign her seat:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/24/sracic.giffords.resign/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

I don't really agree with the premise, but it raises an interesting question - in the case of something like Giffords (or say someone has a stroke) where they are likely mentally incapacitated, did they even have the ability to resign of sound mind?

What is even a reasonable solution here? I can see Democrats no wanting Brewer to put a Republican in there, which is understandable. Should the seat just sit vacant until the next election - which seems not to harmful in the House, but what if she was in the Senate and had a 6 year term? Should there be some law in place where, say you are unable to perform your duties for 1 year, that seat is then considered vacant and subject either to a governor's appointment or some kid of special election?
This is a complicated issue.

First, Brewer cannot appoint a replacement. For vacancies in the House, the Constitution prescribes that a special election must be implemented; thus, I think allowing it to remain vacant would be prohibited. Moreover, I think it requires a comprehensive cycle including the nominating process. It is quite laborious.

Regarding a possible solution, I think a law that would remove a Congressperson would violate the Constitution. To my knowledge, a Congressperson can only be removed from office by a two-thirds vote in their chamber. I think a constitutional amendment, similar to the 25th Amendment, would be necessary. Otherwise, House and Senate members could expel someone because they are incapacitated. I suppose that would suffice.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TacticalFox88 said:
There always war...but that would end badly. But would a WWII type even help in todays economy? (Obviously assuming nuclear is taken off the table)

WWII was different. It made EVERYONE work. 100% employment, rationing, war bonds, people were full of cash spending them in the brothels and the taverns and so on. Factories were built overnight when a day before the government (here in Canada anyway) told the provinces there was not a penny left in the coffers. The Montreal port doubled in size every few damn months. So-called war-time housing was built all over the place, good houses which are today littered among more recent constructions.

With another big war, I somehow doubt we would see anything similar. You don't need as many boots and vehicles on the ground. You'd just end up with a big debt.

WWII didn't save the economy back then, it was just the perfect pretext for the governments to start spending massively and rebuild themselves for the 20th century. Helath care, unemployment benefits, retirement savings funds, all of that came as a result of this.

Today it's the opposite. Governments want to cut all spending and privatize everything. A big war today would just lead to some bigger deficit and nothing to show for it.

Gaborn

kaching said:
The various forms of polygamy, for one.

Separate issue from gay marriage, but I have no problem with legalizing polygamy, I just don't think it's as simple because it would complicate inheritance laws and potentially create long complicated familial chains. I mean, imagine a situation where man A is married to Woman Z, and Woman Z is married to Man B who is married to woman Y. Woman Y is married to Woman X, and Woman X is married to Man A as well. None of the others are linked in marriage. Depending on who died (and who has children by whom, etc) it could get REALLY complicated really fast.

But I don't think any of that has anything specifically to do with equal treatment under the law unless you really stretch things.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gaborn said:
But I don't think any of that has anything specifically to do with equal treatment under the law unless you really stretch things.
It doesn't. It has everything to do with "unconditional equality for ALL citizens" though. You didn't seriously say that and just mean gay rights, did you?

Edit: Did you edit?

Gaborn

kaching said:
It doesn't. It has everything to do with "unconditional equality for ALL citizens" though. You didn't seriously say that and just mean gay rights, did you?

Sure, and that's why I said I'd support polygamy. I just want to make sure you're not trying to say gay marriage is not the same as polygamy. They're two different concepts on similar footing but with sharp differences. I think it's entirely possible for example to support one and oppose the other for historical, religious, or even structural reasons based on the differences between the two.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Of course there's differences, Gaborn. But the differences don't represent any reason to discriminate under US law against one form of marriage any more than the other. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with either form of marriage and denying anyone access to either form if that's there desire, for any period of time, should be regarded as equally untenable if your goal is unconditional equality for all citizens.

Gaborn

kaching said:
Of course there's differences, Gaborn. But the differences don't represent any reason to discriminate under US law against one form of marriage any more than the other. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with either form of marriage and denying anyone access to either form if that's there desire, for any period of time, should be regarded as equally untenable if your goal is unconditional equality for all citizens.

Alright, fine. I support polygamous marriage, if you want me to say that then fine. I just think it's an aside to the discussion.

eznark

Banned
Walker is going to veto the moronic "cops get paid while appealing their firing" provision in the budget (put in by jackass republicans after they fought tooth and nail to get the same fucking provision killed a few years ago). It's very possible he will kill the craft brew thing as well, though no one can really seem to agree that it would have an effect one way of the other.

In regards to that graph of governors, how does Obama compare?

Kosmo said:
Everyone talked about shared sacrifice - then when they were asked to share they were like "OH, I meant make HIM sacrifice, I'm good where I'm at."
It's funny you don't feel this applies to wealthy people.

Kosmo

Banned
adamsappel said:
It's funny you don't feel this applies to wealthy people.

If you're implying that I think that a person has the right to earn enough money and accumulate enough wealth to the point that the government shouldn't be allowed to confiscate enough of that money to the point that it 'hurts', you're right.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Kosmo said:
If you're implying that I think that a person has the right to earn enough money and accumulate enough wealth to the point that the government shouldn't be allowed to confiscate enough of that money to the point that it 'hurts', you're right.

What point does it 'hurt' a millionaire/billionaire?

Kosmo said:
Yeah, I'm sure that billionaire is going to go broke if his taxes are increased 10-15 percent.

Kosmo

Banned
Oblivion said:
What point does it 'hurt' a millionaire/billionaire?

At what point do you think they shouldn't have to pay any more in taxes? If someone is worth $3B, is their life materially different if you take $2B? Why not take that?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Kosmo said:
At what point do you think they shouldn't have to pay any more in taxes? If someone is worth $3B, is their life materially different if you take $2B? Why not take that?

Uh...deal?

Volimar

RustyNails said:
I wonder how long before Texas legalizes gay marriage. I don't know if I'll be alive that long to witness it.

I imagine if the Supreme Court does allow it before the legislature we'll see quite a few angry governors spouting thinly veiled secessionist rhetoric before eventually backing down.

Jackson50

RustyNails said:
Cousin marriages!
130px-0,445,0,394-ShelbyvilleManhatten.jpg
state-of-the-art said:
Fox News headlines compared to other sources.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/actual-news-headlines-vs-fox-news-headlines

Edit: Fox Nation headlines, not Fox News
My, oh, my. A few of those those are whoppers. Haha.

Obama Bureaucrats Imposing Radical Homosexual Sensitivity Training?

Malaysian Muslims Cattle-Brand Prostitutes

AP: Obama Has a Big Problem With White Women

Gaborn

TacticalFox88 said:
That's a concept that shouldn't even exist right now.

Yes it should, but a state's right is not unlimited. States historically have been and should remain "laboratories for Democracy," that's why states can legally pass medical marijuana laws, or laws allowing physician assisted suicide, or have a different age of consent than what the federal government mandates.

What the states CANNOT do and what RustyNails should know the states should NEVER be able to do is interfere with citizens fundamental right to equal treatment under the law. The argument at this point usually comes when a state believes something (such as marriage) may not be a fundamental right, or may not be a fundamental right in the form we're discussing, whether same sex marriage or interracial marriage for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom