• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
While I agree that there are serious incentivization issues with executive pay, to say that the US is wrong because we're different than other countries is lazy. I see nothing wrong, by itself, that US executives make more than other global execs.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
eznark said:
While I agree that there are serious incentivization issues with executive pay, to say that the US is wrong because we're different than other countries is lazy. I see nothing wrong, by itself, that US executives make more than other global execs.
They make the most relative to the average worker.

Chichikov

eznark said:
I think you're misrepresenting the argument here.
Contrasting executive pay in the US with the rest of the world is meant to show two things -

1. that you can achieve similar results while spending much less.
2. that the whole "but than the CEO will take their talents to south beach" argument is bullshit, because there is really nowhere else to go.

eznark

Banned
Chichikov said:
I think you're misrepresenting the argument here.
Contrasting executive pay in the US with the rest of the world is meant to show two things -

1. that you can achieve similar results while spending much less.
2. that the whole "but than the CEO will take their talents to south beach" argument is bullshit, because there is really nowhere else to go.

I think it's a fundamental misunderstanding of resource allocation. Just because a CEO gets paid less a company isn't going to pay employees more, especially in the current buyers labor market.

If the government comes in and says the CEO can only have a total compensation package of Y*WorkerW the company isn't going to start over-paying for talent. The resulting capital will likely be put into R&D or capital improvements. It will be put to work in the most efficient manner possible (hopefully) which certainly is not to pay individuals more than what they are willing to do the work for.

If you want to lower CEO pay just to lower CEO pay fine, I guess. But to think it's some sort of magic bullet to raise middle-management wages is goofy.

Maybe that's not an argument you guys were making though. To be honest, that exchange with Kosmo was too baffling to pay attention to.

Farmers are, with their subsidies to not grow crops. Especially pig farmers!

1000% agree (I've never generated an income from farming and subsidies artificially inflated the cost of feeding those damn pigs).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Three times Married Newt Gingrich Says Gays 'Muddle' Marriage
Ryan J. Reilly | June 27, 2011, 9:55AM

Newt-Gingrich-Callista-New-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg

Newt Gingrich, who is married to his third wife, said this weekend that the U.S. was "drifting towards a terrible muddle" by not limiting marriage to members of the opposite sex, Reuters reported.

But he drew a distinction between Iowa, where the Supreme Court essentially legalized gay marriage, and New York, where elected representatives did.

"Iowa was a very different case from New York," Gingrich said, according to reporter O. Kay Henderson.

"I mean, Iowa was seven judges deciding that they would arbitrarily overturn the laws and the culture of the state of Iowa which is fundamentally different," Gingrich said. "I mean New York at least, whether you agree or disagree with the outcome, it is in the elected process and it is in the legislature and it is with the governor and that's the right venue."

"I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. I think that's what marriage ought to be and I would like to find ways to defend that view as legitimately and effectively as possible," Gingrich said.

#######################

Ummm....yeah how can he of all people get away with saying this?

While we are talking about ridiculous salaries, Congress members paid $6.1 million in bonuses to their staff as they were debating spending cuts.
Washington (CNN) - Members of the House of Representatives reported up to $6.1 million in staff bonuses between January and March, giving out bonuses as they debated spending cuts and came within minutes of shutting down government over fiscal problems, a CNN investigation has found.

At least one congressman gave thousands of dollars to his own staff as he criticized other federal workers as being overpaid.

eznark

Banned
mckmas8808 said:

What makes you think he is getting away with it? The guys campaign is about as serious as mine.

Vote for me in 2012 though guys, for serious.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
At least you've done real work, ez.

mckmas8808 said:

I hate to say it, mck, but reporting on newt at this point is as nearly pointless as reporting on John Bolton. These things are sad but not really useful, IMO.

mckmas8808

PantherLotus said:
I hate to say it, mck, but reporting on newt at this point is as nearly pointless as reporting on John Bolton. These things are sad but not really useful, IMO.

Damn....so it's gotten that bad for the 'ol Newt huh?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'd quote newt's come-at-me aardvark pose, but that's about the only thing he has left (other than an amazingly capable revolving credit line at high-priced jewlers).

Cyan

Banned
Evlar said:
Remember when Kosmo was a concern-troll Obama voter who had become disillusioned by his in-office performance? I do.
I remember the birtherism, but I don't remember this...

eznark said:
What makes you think he is getting away with it? The guys campaign is about as serious as mine.

Vote for me in 2012 though guys, for serious.
Shit, I'd vote for you over Gingrich.

Dude Abides said:
$5 words and graphs incoming Kosmo!
FIFY

Chichikov

eznark said:
I think it's a fundamental misunderstanding of resource allocation. Just because a CEO gets paid less a company isn't going to pay employees more, especially in the current buyers labor market.

If the government comes in and says the CEO can only have a total compensation package of Y*WorkerW the company isn't going to start over-paying for talent. The resulting capital will likely be put into R&D or capital improvements. It will be put to work in the most efficient manner possible (hopefully) which certainly is not to pay individuals more than what they are willing to do the work for.

If you want to lower CEO pay just to lower CEO pay fine, I guess. But to think it's some sort of magic bullet to raise middle-management wages is goofy.

Maybe that's not an argument you guys were making though. To be honest, that exchange with Kosmo was too baffling to pay attention to.
I'm not sure what this post has to do with what I wrote, but I'll try to answer anyway.

First of all, I'm not suggesting that the government set a hard cap on executive pay, so let's drop that.
2nd of all, money not paid to executives will have to go somewhere else, I didn't say it will go to the employers, what I'm saying is that it's money better spent elsewhere (by investing back in the company or raising working wages).

And finally, I think the bigger problem is the compensation model that is not tied into real long term sustainable results.
And I think that if we had a real connection between performance and pay, the problem would've solved itself, as CEOs are not nearly as important to the success of a company as some people tend to think (and just because I know I'm going to be misunderstood, I am not saying that they're not important, no at the slightest).

Clevinger

mckmas8808 said:
Three times Married Newt Gingrich Says Gays 'Muddle' Marriage
Ryan J. Reilly | June 27, 2011, 9:55AM

Newt-Gingrich-Callista-New-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg

Newt Gingrich, who is married to his third wife, said this weekend that the U.S. was "drifting towards a terrible muddle" by not limiting marriage to members of the opposite sex, Reuters reported.

#######################

What a complete fucking shitheel. His horrible candidacy failure couldn't have happened to a bigger asshole.

Clevinger

eznark said:

Unfortunately, his campaign isn't being derided for shit like this, but for a completely reasonable thing he said about Paul Ryan's Medicare plan.

eznark

Banned
Chichikov said:
I'm not sure what this post has to do with what I wrote, but I'll try to answer anyway.

First of all, I'm not suggesting that the government set a hard cap on executive pay, so let's drop that.
2nd of all, money not paid to executives will have to go somewhere else, I didn't say it will go to the employers, what I'm saying is that it's money better spent elsewhere (by investing back in the company or raising working wages).

And finally, I think the bigger problem is the compensation model that is not tied into real long term sustainable results.
And I think that if we had a real connection between performance and pay, the problem would've solved itself, as CEOs are not nearly as important to the success of a company as some people tend to think (and just because I know I'm going to be misunderstood, I am not saying that they're not important, no at the slightest).

I don't necessarily disagree (except some of the CEO post. Founding CEO's of successful enterprises are generally invaluable and imo can never be over-paid) with any of this and my post may have been a response to an imaginary post. Like I said, I read like every tenth word of that Kosmo-GAF exchange of nonsense. I think I was responding to the implied notion that if CEO's didn't get paid so much workers would make more. There isn't really anything to indicate that's the case. Investments would hopefully still be made where they make the most sense, and paying someone more than what they are willing to work for is incredibly inefficient.

Unfortunately, his campaign isn't being derided for shit like this, but for a completely reasonable thing he said about Paul Ryan's Medicare plan.

BUT HAVE YOU SEEN HIS LINES OF CREDIT AT TIFFANY'S!?!!!!!????????

eznark said:

I agree that wages are ultimately dictated by labor bargaining power. The rise of executive pay has occurred alongside a consistent weakening in labor bargaining power over the decades, which, incidentally, corporate executives have worked politically to achieve. The corporation will always try to pay as little as possible in wages. That's inherent in capitalism. Nevertheless, the money saved from a weak labor market is being plowed into profits and executive pay, which is contributing to increased inequality and distortions in democratic governance. And the system by which executive pay is determined is largely a corrupt one. So reform is necessary regardless of its impact on wages.

My preferred solution for stagnating wages would be sharply increased taxation on the top 1% and policies that directly increase labor bargaining power and that more aggressively regulate corporate behavior.

Clevinger

eznark said:
BUT HAVE YOU SEEN HIS LINES OF CREDIT AT TIFFANY'S!?!!!!!????????

That wasn't half as big a deal as the Ryan thing, and his campaign was already in a tailspin by that point because of the former.

Chichikov

Dude Abides said:
He's baaaaaack!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28895719&postcount=168

Capitalism succeeded because of Jesus (but not for those lazy Catholics or sneaky Chinese)!

Reinforcements incoming Kosmo!
I don't often make assumption about other people lives (in fact, I made a point about it just a page ago, and now I'm going to look like a hypocrite), but I will bet every cent I have that he has never ever read anything by Max Weber.
I can't prove it, no, but I have rarely been more sure about anything

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Chichikov said:
I don't often make assumption about other people lives (in fact, I made a point about it just a page ago, and now I'm going to look like a hypocrite), but I will bet every cent I have that he has never ever read anything by Max Weber.
I can't prove it, no, but I have rarely been more sure about anything

HOW DARE YOU!

eznark

Banned
empty vessel said:
I agree that wages are ultimately dictated by labor bargaining power. The rise of executive pay has occurred alongside a consistent weakening in labor bargaining power over the decades, which, incidentally, corporate executives have worked politically to achieve. The corporation will always try to pay as little as possible in wages. That's inherent in capitalism. Nevertheless, the money saved from a weak labor market is being plowed into profits and executive pay, which is contributing to increased inequality and distortions in democratic governance. And the system by which executive pay is determined is largely a corrupt one. So reform is necessary regardless of its impact on wages.

My preferred solution for stagnating wages would be sharply increased taxation on the top 1% and policies that directly increase labor bargaining power and that more aggressively regulate corporate behavior.

I don't disagree that executive compensation is broken, however most proposed solutions I have see are generally worse. There is nothing keeping corporate headquarters in the United States, so a punitive taxation policy aimed at extracting wealth from corporate executives by confiscating a portion of their income would be pointless, as they would essentially have to voluntarily submit to the forfeiture(unless you would accompany it with additional punitive measures for multinational corporations of some form).

And I always thought your preferred solution was the Cultural Revolution?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wait wait, I want to go on the record for agreeing -- I don't want to limit executive compensation. I only want to tax it properly, in accordance and at similarly fair rates that their subordinates at which their subordinates are being taxed.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Kosmo said:
LOL, worked my way through a bachelor's and a doctorate and currently taking advantage of my company's tuition reimbursement policy to get my MBA (Bolded and highlighted for you, since you will no doubt quote it - too predictable) and have worked since I had a paper route at 12. Unfortunately, daddy's little start-up was working an hourly job for 33 years in an auto plant - must have been the one who instilled an actual work ethic in me.

You really have no fucking clue. Carry on.

Bull.. Shit. On everything you just said. You don't understand tax brackets, and you are telling us that you have a doctorate and are currently getting an MBA?

Soloist

Neo Member
quadriplegicjon said:
Bull.. Shit. On everything you just said. You don't understand tax brackets, and you are telling us that you have a doctorate and are currently getting an MBA?

Don't worry, you can hold a doctorate and still be factually challenged.

mckmas8808

Obama, McConnell Prepare For Gridlock Ahead Of Key Debt Limit Meeting
Brian Beutler | June 27, 2011, 4:43PM

obama-mcconnell.jpg

What ought to be a breakthrough meeting between President Obama and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is shaping up to end at the same impasse where earlier bipartisan negotiations on the debt limit fell apart. In the hours before the meeting, and in a number of different venues, McConnell renewed his insistence that Republicans will not accept any tax increases as part of a trillion-dollar deficit reduction package the GOP is demanding before agreeing to let the country pay all its bills on time.

But according to a top Democratic aide, Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) agreed at a White House meeting Monday morning that any such package must take "a balanced approach, and that revenues need to be a part of that approach, especially ending taxpayer-funded giveaways to corporations that don't need them
."

Democratic aides aren't offering a complete list of the tax measures they want Republicans to consider, or how much each measure is expected to raise. Multiple accounts, however, indicate they want tax measures to raise $400 billion over the next 10 years -- 20 percent of the $2 trillion they hope to cut from the deficit overall.

But McConnell doesn't really want to touch the tax code to reduce the deficit at all. He made that as clear as ever during his Sunday appearance on This Week. That leaves user fees -- a regressive way of raising revenue -- and precious else that will get GOP support.

Democrats by contrast are looking at a mix of politically potent, and technical ways of raising revenues.

They've already targeted tax preferences for oil and gas companies, and subsidies for ethanol producers, each of which are expected to cost the Treasury tens of billions of dollars over the next decade.

They're also hoping to phase out tax deductions for high-income earners, and end a method of accounting that allows businesses to assume the goods they sell are newer than they really are, and thus increase their tax deductions for production costs.

Ending the so-called Last-In, First-Out (LIFO) accounting methods would raise almost $100 billion over 10 years.

Top Democrats didn't discuss this particular proposal on a conference call with reporters Friday. But GOP-friendly interest groups, including the National Association of Manufacturers, hate the idea.

In addition to ruling out tax increases, McConnell has also insisted that the final debt limit package make deep Medicare cuts. And unlike House Speaker John Boehner, he's not on the hook in the Senate for raising the debt limit. If he or other Republicans aren't happy with the menu of items Dems are willing to deal on, he and his caucus can (and have threatened to) leave Senate Dems to raise the debt limit on their own. But that would leave Boehner with the impossible task of squaring a Democrat-only debt limit bill with the demands of his conservative caucus.
All this as the clock ticks down toward a debt default.

####################

When situations like this come up, it clearly shows that regardless of what some people may want to believe there's a clear difference between the two parties. Holy crap is McConnell nuts.

Chichikov

mckmas8808 said:
When situations like this come up, it clearly shows that regardless of what some people may want to believe there's a clear difference between the two parties. Holy crap is McConnell nuts.
He's not crazy, he's setting the supposed center of this discussion deep in right wing territory.
So when we eventually come to an agreement that is 80% austerity and 20% removing tax loopholes, he can paint himself as the pragmatic politician reaching across the isle.

The say the definition of madness is trying the same thing and expecting different results.
But that definition, Obama is the crazy person here.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
How do you negotiate with someone who won't negotiate?
Does he forget that the democrats still control the senate (lol) AND presidency?

mckmas8808

Chichikov said:
He's not crazy, he's setting the supposed center of this discussion deep in right wing territory.
So when we eventually come to an agreement that is 80% austerity and 20% removing tax loopholes, he can paint himself as the pragmatic politician reaching across the isle.

The say the definition of madness is trying the same thing and expecting different results.
But that definition, Obama is the crazy person here.

So you believe that accepting a 80% austerity and 20% removing tax loopholes is crazy and not something that Obama and the DEMs should accept?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Kosmo said:
Nope, not the any large degree. That does note mean I'm into wealth redistribution either.
Do you not agree with paying any sort of income tax then? Because that's exactly what our progressive tax system is for: redistributing wealth. It currently does a shit job of it, but that is the end effect of the US tax system as it is.

I'm really inclined to side with quadriplegicjon here.

mckmas8808 said:
So you believe that accepting a 80% austerity and 20% removing tax loopholes is crazy and not something that Obama and the DEMs should accept?

I do. In fact, they should accept nothing, since the problem is entirely fictitious to begin with.

Chichikov

mckmas8808 said:
I don't think it's crazy.
I think it's a very bad move for this country and that the dems should absolutely outright reject it.

XMonkey said:
Do you not agree with paying any sort of income tax then? Because that's exactly what our progressive tax system is for: redistributing wealth. It currently does a shit job of it, but that is the end effect of the US tax system as it is.

Not only that, but the economy doesn't have a "natural" distribution from which to begin any "redistribution." Money is constantly circulating and decisions about who gets what are being made everyday. Having these decisions being made in a corporate boardroom isn't any more "natural" than having them made by a congress of duly elected citizens. There are no redistributions of wealth and income, there are only particular distributions of it at any given time. The only question is what works, and, clearly, whatever we're doing isn't working, because the results--and, make no mistake, what matters is the results--are terrible. The way our wealth and income is distributed is wrong and has to be fixed in and of itself. Equality is a direct goal, not an incidental goal or mere metric, that has immense benefits for society in and of itself.

GhaleonEB

empty vessel said:
I do. In fact, they should accept nothing, since the problem is entirely fictitious to begin with.
Buying into 1) the premise that we have a crisis and 2) that the solution is spending cuts have been disheartening to say the least. They lost the debate the moment they declined the opportunity to reframe it.

All Obama has to do is hammer the point that doing nothing - leave current policy on track - solves the debt problem. Of course, that's not his plan, either, as he wants to preserve the bulk of the Bush tax cuts.

Is this economics argument all about CEO salaries? I've been reading stuff on Weber and he says the reason they make so much money is because they have the most business power. I won't defend the actual 7-and-8-number salaries they make, but don't they deserve more money than workers who have less power, i.e. less influence in the market?

Cyan

Banned
empty vessel said:
Yeah, I actually agree with this. I mean, I'd say the deficit and the national debt are or will be a problem, but there's really no reason to tie raising the debt ceiling to cutting the deficit. One of the more puzzling things this cycle.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ChoklitReign said:
Is this economics argument all about CEO salaries? I've been reading stuff on Weber and he says the reason they make so much money is because they have the most business power. I won't defend the actual 7-and-8-number salaries they make, but don't they deserve more money than workers who have less power, i.e. less influence in the market?
Which is it then? They make the most money because they hold the most power, or they hold the most power because they make the most money? It's a chicken-or-the-egg argument.

And here's something else to chew on: these CEOs also hold the power to dictate average worker compensation, too. So where is the money going? Every trend signifies it goes into the CEO pockets and not their underlings.

So, let me ask you again, do they hold the most power because they make the most amount of money?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ChoklitReign said:

Didn't you answer your own question by pivoting on which you will not defend? Nobody is suggesting they should be paid the same as their workers.

reilo said:
Which is it then? They make the most money because they hold the most power, or they hold the most power because they make the most money? It's a chicken-or-the-egg argument.

And here's something else to chew on: these CEOs also hold the power to dictate average worker compensation, too. So where is the money going? Every trend signifies it goes into the CEO pockets and not their underlings.

So, let me ask you again, do they hold the most power because they make the most amount of money?
CEOs can inherit power, like the Rockefellers, but most I assume worked in small businesses and moved up. To PantherLotus, I assume we're only opposed to something Kosmo said.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Show me a CEO that does the job of 350 people, especially at engineering corporations.

Jackson50

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
As abhorrent and condemnable as Qaddafi's actions are, they do not approach the crime of genocide. And the specific charges reflect that. Genocide and similar allusions were presented to justify the intervention. Again, those charges were grossly exaggerated.
lo escondido said:
"Insurgent forces", and taking gadaffi's word for it? lol

So if the rebel's (who started out just as a protest movement) had given up and let gaddafi do whatever we'd all be good?

Did you cheer for the egyptian protesters or those in tunis? because these insurgent forces are those very people who but were forced to take up arms.
They qualify as insurgents. I am not taking his word. I am simply noting that Qaddafi is prone to hyperbole and bombast. And he often contradicts himself. I do not think his threats were as significant as they were portrayed.

All good? Probably not. But that outcome would have been preferable to the current mess.

Yes, I cheered for them. Lamentably, not every uprising will be successful. That is a doleful aspect of reality.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
GaimeGuy said:
Show me a CEO that does the job of 350 people, especially at engineering corporations.

Not to be cute, but since I work with a lot of engineers: YOU show me an engineer that can manage more than two people.

mckmas8808

Chichikov said:
I don't think it's crazy.
I think it's a very bad move for this country and that the dems should absolutely outright reject it.

So what happens when August 2 comes and the debt ceiling isn't raised?

GhaleonEB said:
Buying into 1) the premise that we have a crisis and 2) that the solution is spending cuts have been disheartening to say the least. They lost the debate the moment they declined the opportunity to reframe it.

All Obama has to do is hammer the point that doing nothing - leave current policy on track - solves the debt problem. Of course, that's not his plan, either, as he wants to preserve the bulk of the Bush tax cuts.

Well to be fair that's nothing wrong with cutting some spending. Obviously we have to do some spending cuts along with raising some taxes. We can't do one without the other no?

mckmas8808

GaimeGuy said:

They have ALOT more responsibility. That's the point. And it's a valid point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom